270soft Forum

Winning a State By One Vote

Has this ever happened to anyone?  I have been playing for 5 years and I had very close states but nothing like this.  I took a screenshot of an election where the Republican candidate won a state (Wisconsin) by one single vote!  

Is it possible that the candidates recieve an equal number of votes, if so how would the game handle that situation?

ONEVOTE.png

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Good god imagine the shitshow if this happened in real life.

2000's Florida recount would like to have a word with you on how to raise your expectations.

• Haha 1

@ThePotatoWalrus
The Republican lost the election by about 10 points in the popular vote with 225 votes.  I was trying to see how much someone could lose the popular vote by and still win, he lost a few large states like Florida and Pennsylvania by a few points so it’s possible with a 2 point shift in the popular vote to lose the popular vote by 8 points and still win.  My next campaign goal is to actually win while losing the popular vote by more than 7 points.

If he would have won those 2 states for an extra 49 electoral votes then he would have had 274 and Wisconsin would have provided the winning margin.

On 10/2/2020 at 6:31 PM, Centrist said:

Is it possible that the candidates recieve an equal number of votes, if so how would the game handle that situation?

I believe this is not possible in the game. Someone will be at least 1 vote ahead.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:31 PM, Centrist said:

Has this ever happened to anyone?  I have been playing for 5 years and I had very close states but nothing like this.  I took a screenshot of an election where the Republican candidate won a state (Wisconsin) by one single vote!  

It's happened to me a number of times in game (winning/losing by one vote).  But I've played lots of games.

In real life, how a tie would be dealt with depends on the state.  IIRC, one or more states settle it with a coin toss.  IIRC, there was a (minor) VA election that was tied in the last few years.

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I believe this is not possible in the game. Someone will be at least 1 vote ahead.

Does that include PMI? And if so, how would "Landslide Annie," McLellan' razor-edge victory (1-vote on two separate occasions, with a very real chance of a potential tie having happened) in Edmonton-Central be represented, among other such instances.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Does that include PMI? And if so, how would "Landslide Annie," McLellan' razor-edge victory (1-vote on two separate occasions, with a very real chance of a potential tie having happened) in Edmonton-Central be represented, among other such instances.

Yes, I think it applies to PMI as well. It would be represented as a 1 vote win.