270soft Forum

270Soft Members on the Left-Right Spectrum

This is just for fun and based off a poll I made about a week ago. Took me forever to calculate the results but here goes. Here's where we would possibly fall as 2020 candidates on the issues:

• Far-Left: Scored higher than 51+ left
  • Left: Scored between 31-51 left
    • @Mark_W
    • @Zenobiyl 
    • @Patine (Unique responses to things forces him here on a Left-Right spectrum. Seems more like a Far-Left person with some dissenting opinions.)
  • Center Left: Scored between 11-30 left
  • Center: scored within 10 on the L-R spectrum on 2020 issues.
    • @Isaacr88 (Not so much a centrist as having a platform that is all over the place)
    • @TheLiberalKitten 
    • @SilentLiberty (Almost Center-Right, but really a Libertarianish Conservative with some progressive or liberal views)
    • @Vavent (Very similar to my description of Silent Liberty)
    • @NYConservative (Kind of like a Libertarian Republican who has a bunch of random Andrew Yang views mixed in, which moves him here)
  • Center Right: scored between 11-30 right
    • @Berg2036 (Somewhat Libertarian)
    • @Cenzonico (Somewhat Libertarian)
    • @ThePotatoWalrus (Would be Right if not for many Libertarian positions embraced mostly by progressives)
    • @Reagan04 (Same as ThePotatoWalrus. Both are largely Libertarian in many cases)
  • Right: scored between 31-51 right
    • n/a
  • Far-Right: Scored higher than 51+ right

If we were planets/planetoids, @Conservative Elector 2 would be Pluto. There's no one near his orbit. Of the conservatives that took the test, all but @Conservative Elector 2 are probably more Libertarian Conservative than Establishment Conservative. Most of the Left-wingers are Progressive Liberals rather than Mainstream Liberals. 

This doesn't really surprise me. If I had more time, I'd create a two-party primary map based off our results, but I don't think I can do that anytime soon. Maybe it's something I can do after the election in real life.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is just for fun and based off a poll I made about a week ago. Took me forever to calculate the results but here goes. Here's where we would possibly fall as 2020 candidates on the issues: F

This is interesting - confirms the sense that the forum average is significantly left of centre, and that even with the right of centre folks, it's largely libertarian influenced.

I'm sorry that I broke him 😦

Just now, admin_270 said:

This is interesting - confirms the sense that the forum average is significantly left of centre, and that even with the right of centre folks, it's largely libertarian influenced.

We need the escapism of political computer games because right-wing politicians rule the world.

• Upvote 1

I agree that I'm likely center left.  In addition to being pro-intervention, I am strongly against legalizing marijuana and other drugs, support drug testing for welfare, don't support DC statehood or stacking the Supreme Court (because Republicans will just escalate it further), etc.  But I'm left because gay marriage is a human right, education is essential, science is real, we have to raise the minimum wage, and Donald Trump will literally burn in hell.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

f I had more time, I'd create a two-party primary map based off our results,

Taking a quick look at the amount of people running of different ideologies, it would probably be difficult for any progressive to win outside a few states just due to the heavy vote splitting. It would definitely be a moderate or standard Democrat winning almost every single primary. 

On the Republican side, I'd say it as a cakewalk for @Conservative Elector 2 because every other Republican is courting the exact same base. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

That's interesting - why?

It's addictive, it leads to a significant increase in impaired driving, it damages lung tissue and causes respiratory problems (one joint = five cigarettes), higher risk of heart attacks and strokes, it increases the risk of developing schizophrenia, depression, and other psychiatric disorders.  Researchers at Harvard and Northwestern found recreational marijuana smokers show abnormalities in the shape, volume, and density of key areas of the brain.  The British Journla of Psychiatry published a study stating "There is good evidence that taking cannabis leads to acute adverse mental effects in a high proportion of regular users."  Another study found 22% of marijuana users experienced acute anxiety or panic attacks following cannabis use, and 15% had psychotic symptoms following us.

To be clear, I support medical marijuana -- REAL medical marijuana, not the joke that it is in California.  But not recreational marijuana.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

It's addictive, it leads to a significant increase in impaired driving, it damages lung tissue and causes respiratory problems (one joint = five cigarettes), higher risk of heart attacks and strokes, it increases the risk of developing schizophrenia, depression, and other psychiatric disorders.  Researchers at Harvard and Northwestern found recreational marijuana smokers show abnormalities in the shape, volume, and density of key areas of the brain.  The British Journla of Psychiatry published a study stating "There is good evidence that taking cannabis leads to acute adverse mental effects in a high proportion of regular users."  Another study found 22% of marijuana users experienced acute anxiety or panic attacks following cannabis use, and 15% had psychotic symptoms following us.

To be clear, I support medical marijuana -- REAL medical marijuana, not the joke that it is in California.  But not recreational marijuana.  

Plus it tastes like shit. My main reason for not smoking it myself.

Though I still think it should be legal. Is it addictive? Sure. So is sugar, coffee, alcohol, all way worse for you than puffing a joint a couple times a week. Victimless crime. Do what you want with your body. As for me, I love my cigars.

• Thanks 2
41 minutes ago, vcczar said:
  • Far-Right: Scored higher than 51+ right

If we were planets/planetoids, @Conservative Elector 2 would be Pluto. There's no one near his orbit. Of the conservatives that took the test, all but @Conservative Elector 2 are probably more Libertarian Conservative than Establishment Conservative.

First of all great work! I like comparisons and analysis very much. Which poll was it again?

The results quite interesting. I consider myself very conservative but I wouldn't label myself as a far-right. I'd never associate myself with people like the know known Proud Boys. I don't view myself as an ardent nationalist or even a racist or anti-semite. 

What makes me be reassured is that you label me as Establishment Conservative in the end. I take this description happily. So it's interesting (maybe given our beloved forum's environment) that an Establishment Conservative is already seen as a ''far-right''. Anyway, that way I can accept being seen as a far-right person, because for me personally ''far-right'' implies mostly someone like in Charlottesville. Personally, I don't think these people are far-rights, they are idiots, but the media puts these extremists often on the extreme right-wing. I'd say they don't even fit in this spectrum to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also it's appropriate to not see me as a pure libertarian actually. Again good analysis!

2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

First of all great work! I like comparisons and analysis very much. Which poll was it again?

The results quite interesting. I consider myself very conservative but I wouldn't label myself as a far-right. I'd never associate myself with people like the know known Proud Boys. I don't view myself as an ardent nationalist or even a racist or anti-semite. 

What makes me be reassured is that you label me as Establishment Conservative in the end. I take this description happily. So it's interesting (maybe given our beloved forum's environment) that an Establishment Conservative is already seen as a ''far-right''. Anyway, that way I can accept being seen as a far-right person, because for me personally ''far-right'' implies mostly someone like in Charlottesville. Personally, I don't think these people are far-rights, they are idiots, but the media puts these extremists often on the extreme right-wing. I'd say they don't even fit in this spectrum to be honest.

I wonder if you got labelled far-right simply because all your positions were right leaning which led to a buildup of points.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

It's addictive, it leads to a significant increase in impaired driving, it damages lung issues and causes respiratory problems (one joint = five cigarettes), higher risk of heart attacks and strokes, it increases the risk of developing schizophrenia, depression, and other psychiatric disorders.  Researchers at Harvard and Northwestern found recreational marijuana smokers show abnormalities in the shape, volume, and density of key areas of the brain.  The British Journla of Psychiatry published a study stating "There is good evidence that taking cannabis leads to acute adverse mental effects in a high proportion of regular users."  Another study found 22% of marijuana users experienced acute anxiety or panic attacks following cannabis use, and 15% had psychotic symptoms following us.

The War on Drugs has been a criminal endeavour and act of brutal tyranny and oppression against it's own people. Far more have died horribly because of enforcement of the War on Drugs itself, prison conditions (especially considering egregious, overkill, and highly unnecessary sentencing), and the thug control of it's trade because of criminalization (the Al Capone effect) than cannabis, or any other "street drug," has killed by far, in and of themselves. Also, many supporter of these hard, anti-drug policies forget a major hypocrisy - that a drug that leads to more death due to the effects of it's consumption that cannabis and all "street drugs," combined in a given year, by far, is alcohol, which is not just legal and widely available in the U.S., save a very small number of "dry communities," all of which are tiny and very rural- but in almost all non-predominantly Islamic nations. Plus, such paternalistic laws have no place in a modern, non-authoritarian nation and civilization. They're outmoded, pompous, and barbaric.

Found it.

7 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Though I still think it should be legal. Is it addictive? Sure. So is sugar, coffee, alcohol, all way worse for you than puffing a joint a couple times a week. Victimless crime. Do what you want with your body. As for me, I love my cigars.

I think a good compromise would be what we have with tobacco. Legal, but with warnings and ads educating people about the risks. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Interesting - thanks for this.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I wonder if you got labelled far-right simply because all your positions were right leaning which led to a buildup of points.

Yeah, I think so. It's ok when put into perspective of course.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Second hand smoke 5x worse than a cigarette and impaired driving are not victimless crimes.

21 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Second hand smoke 5x worse than a cigarette and impaired driving are not victimless crimes.

Impaired driving IS a crime. Smoking weed or drinking alcohol isn't. Only if you get behind the wheel. Makes sense to me. Plus in many cases it's illegal to smoke in contained areas with children. I never light a cigar before asking permission (though most of the time I'm either alone or with friends who enjoy the smell, if they're not smoking with me)

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Impaired driving IS a crime. Smoking weed or drinking alcohol isn't. Only if you get behind the wheel. Makes sense to me. Plus in many cases it's illegal to smoke in contained areas with children. I never light a cigar before asking permission (though most of the time I'm either alone or with friends who enjoy the smell, if they're not smoking with me)

Yes, we both agree that they are crimes.  But you said victimless crime, I pointed out the victims.  

The data shows a significant increase in impaired driving when you legalize marijuana. 

22 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

How’s that working out?

I'll admit the government could do more of a job regulating the sale and possession of electronic vape products by minors, which I'm sure you'll agree. But I think cigarettes and cigars are fine now, as kids today prefer the fruity electric shit as opposed to a tasteless pack of cigarettes or $9 premium cigars.

• vcczar changed the title to 270Soft Members on the Left-Right Spectrum