270soft Forum

2020 Election: Indiana

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75 @Mark_W

Pence's home state will go Red. 

Here's 21st century Dems in Indiana. Obama's win in 2008 in Indiana was the first Dem victory in IN since LBJ in 1964!. You'll note that the swing in this vote probably had much to do with St. Joseph county and in Allen County. :

image.png.09373332c85d73ea40f00e7d50ac456c.png image.png.00c9b13239f73a867ac54c5f6d139fb3.png image.png.e212efe8523892d6a3ded64342a5999d.png image.png.5e671ce87fadb5a0a0230de8e41abfbf.png image.png.21c0ce3993eb9c1f7857b44d93ac763b.png
Marion 23 22 29 2 -1
Lake 20 31 34 23 26
Hamilton -20 -34 -22 -49 -51
Allen -19 -17 -5 -27 -25
St Joseph 0 4 17 -2 1
IN Totals -19 -10 1 -21 -16

Here's who IN supported since 2008 for Pres, Gov, Sen, and US Reps. Darker the color, the more support. Reaction to Obamacare knocked out 3 Democrats. Indiana is one of the few states (only state? I forget) that saw the GOP get stronger during the Blue Wave reaction against Trump.: 

2008 2010 2012 2014 2016 2018
Obama Obama Romney Romney Trump Trump
Daniels Daniel Pence Pence Holcomb Holcomb
Bayh Coats Coats Coats Young Young
Lugar Lugar Donnelly Donnelly Donnelly Braun
Visclosky Visclosky Visclosky Visclosky Visclosky Visclosky
Donnelly Donnelly Walorsky Walorsky Walorsky Walorsky
Souder Stutzman Stutzman Stutzman Banks Banks
Buyer Rokita Rokita Rokita Rokita Baird
Burton Burton Brooks Brooks Brooks Brooks
Pence Pence Messer Messer Messer Pence
Carson Carson Carson Carson Carson Carson
Ellsworth Bucshon Bucshon Bucshon Bucshon Bucshon
Hill Young Young Young Hollingsworth Hollingsworth

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

@vcczarHamilton County was founded in 1823 and St. Joseph in 1830.  Gore lost the former by 51 points and carried the latter by 1.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

because two of the counties didn't exist.:

I am surprised Indiana had a lower number of counties in the early 2000s... I thought the last county creation was decades ago probably.

1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I am surprised Indiana had a lower number of counties in the early 2000s... I thought the last county creation was decades ago probably.

Ok, I googled it. It was 2001 in Colorado. As @Reagan04 states Indiana's counties seem to have existed.

22 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

25 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@vcczarHamilton County was founded in 1823 and St. Joseph in 1830.  Gore lost the former by 51 points and carried the latter by 1.

When I looked at the voting in these counties for 2000, when making these maps. I used the same website for all of them. It marked the counties differently. I don't quite remember, but either the counties didn't exist (which, yes, they did, according to your search) or they were drawn differently in a way that doesn't allow them to relate to the 2004-2020 votes. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, vcczar said:

When I looked at the voting in these counties for 2000, when making these maps. I used the same website for all of them. It marked the counties differently. I don't quite remember, but either the counties didn't exist (which, yes, they did, according to your search) or they were drawn differently in a way that doesn't allow them to relate to the 2004-2020 votes. 

Overall, I'll try to find the website I used. I made these like 18 months ago.

Just now, vcczar said:

They weren't, actually. They have looked the same since their founding. You may have some bad info on that website for this particular factoid. I'll look into it more.

4 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

They weren't, actually. They have looked the same since their founding. You may have some bad info on that website for this particular factoid. I'll look into it more.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is then, and I can't even figure out what website I was looking at that showed county-by-county results for every presidential election. It may have just had an "n/a" on it and I just put it in there. Overall, I had a reason I put "n/a" there and I'm not sure what it is now, but I strongly thing it had something to do with those counties not being really comparable to the way they were in 2004 to the present, whatever that might be. Since, I was sort of doing this for fun rather than for any real publication, I didn't keep track of the website I used or any other notes.