270soft Forum

1st Pres Debate Thread (9/29/2020)

9 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Ya - reactions of pundits are not always reactions of most people. For example, there is a stark divide in Trump support between people with a university degree and not. Almost all the pundits have university degrees.

Yes, the better educated a person is the less likely they are to support the Republicans...

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks to me like someone didn't bother spending any CP on increasing Issue Familiarity or Debating Skills

Voting third party is better than not voting, which I'd rather do than vote for Biden at this point. 

Shitshow. I said this debate would decide if I vote for Biden or Jorgensen and I'm definitely leaning Jorgensen. It's funny because at first I thought Trump was winning but he completely blew it after

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, pilight said:

Yes, the better educated a person is the less likely they are to support the Republicans...

It’s also possible that policies such as free tuition and abolition of student debt appealed to many college graduate students.

9 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Ya - reactions of pundits are not always reactions of most people. For example, there is a stark divide in Trump support between people with a university degree and not. Almost all the pundits have university degrees.

I call myself one of the rare exceptions here.

3 hours ago, pilight said:

Ya, my sense is that people with extended schooling (university degrees) tend not to be particularly well educated. They tend to believe all sorts of nonsense, have weak analytical skills, a poor sense of history, and so on.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but one of the main functions of university in the West is indoctrination of the up and coming with certain political views and sensibilities. Very boring, IMHO, but also very important, of course.

One big trend over the last 50 years is more and more males opting not to go to university, and instead going to trade schools. Some universities are now 2-1 female-male. I think there's a link between this and the fact that males tend to support Trump more than females.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, my sense is that people with extended schooling (university degrees) tend not to be particularly well educated. They tend to believe all sorts of nonsense, have weak analytical skills, a poor sense of history, and so on.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but one of the main functions of university in the West is indoctrination of the up and coming with certain political views and sensibilities. Very boring, IMHO, but also very important, of course.

One big trend over the last 50 years is more and more males opting not to go to university, and instead going to trade schools. Some universities are now 2-1 female-male. I think there's a link between this and the fact that males tend to support Trump more than females.

My sense is that people who support Donald Trump like to make baseless, gross generalisations about large groups of people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

This is a very large leap to make about a very large group of people. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

^ Good example of lack of analytical skills.

The layers of trolling occurring here.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Wiw said:

Who's making prophecies? This is what I'm genuinely afraid will happen! And if he doesn't do it, he'll provoke someone else to do it for him. He tried to provoke a first strike from Iran, did you forget?!

Donald Trump, despite a LOT of ridiculous rhetoric of late, is NOT another Hitler or Stalin, and he is not a Fascist. While being a disgusting individual who talks like he's in high school boys' locker room a lot, incites violence between groups of Americans by goading them on like a WWE announcer, often lies and makes arbitrary declarations with care of consequences, insults and slanders opponents constantly, and is dominated by egotism and narcissism in everything he says, he also is vapid loudmouth with no solid, coherent, or consistent platform, flip-flops on policy constantly, can barely string together cohesive sentences (and his supporters ridicule for that at times), he is utterly incompetent and incapable of managing his office, and he has a revolving door cabinet. He is NOT the horrible Fascistic leader the Fuhererpinzip that you are looking for. In fact, he may quite likely be someone's useful idiot, someone who is actually competent, cunning, and a Machiavellian schemer, manipulator, and mastermind.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Thank-you James Buchanan. It sure it took TRUE intelligence and insight - not booklearnin' to stand passively, do absolutely nothing, and watch as the nation you took a solemn oath to preserve splits into two mutually hostile parts before your eyes.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Donald Trump, despite a LOT of ridiculous rhetoric of late, is NOT another Hitler or Stalin, and he is not a Fascist. While being a disgusting individual who talks like he's in high school boys' locker room a lot, incites violence between groups of Americans by goading them on like a WWE announcer, often lies and makes arbitrary declarations with care of consequences, insults and slanders opponents constantly, and is dominated by egotism and narcissism in everything he says, he also is vapid loudmouth with no solid, coherent, or consistent platform, flip-flops on policy constantly, can barely string together cohesive sentences (and his supporters ridicule for that at times), he is utterly incompetent and incapable of managing his office, and he has a revolving door cabinet. He is NOT the horrible Fascistic leader the Fuhererpinzip that you are looking for. In fact, he may quite likely be someone's useful idiot, someone who is actually competent, cunning, and a Machiavellian schemer, manipulator, and mastermind.

This isn't about fascism. It's about what he'll do if he cannot retain his power.

Just now, Wiw said:

This isn't about fascism. It's about what he'll do if he cannot retain his power.

He strikes me as being quite a few monstrous and horrid things, definitely. But you're attributing nihilistic tendencies to the point of spiteful suicide, which has never even remotely seemed to be a part of his nature at all.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

He strikes me as being quite a few monstrous and horrid things, definitely. But you're attributing nihilistic tendencies to the point of spiteful suicide, which has never even remotely seemed to be a part of his nature at all.

And why not? I wouldn't put anything past him at this point.

18 minutes ago, Wiw said:

And why not? I wouldn't put anything past him at this point.

You're approaching this from hyperbolic, paranoid fear. I'm trying to be analytical. Just because a person has one, or even a bunch of horrid character flaws, doesn't mean "they might as well," have them all. That's NOT how psychology works.

11 hours ago, Patine said:

You're approaching this from hyperbolic, paranoid fear. I'm trying to be analytical. Just because a person has one, or even a bunch of horrid character flaws, doesn't mean "they might as well," have them all. That's NOT how psychology works.

Yeah? ...maybe I am paranoid, maybe he'll just get a kick out of being former President or something. But knowing how the rest of the year played out, I'm not getting my hopes up.