270soft Forum

What debate question would you ask?

If you could suggest a question or two (maybe one for each candidate) for tonight's debate, what would it be?

I'd be curious to see what questions people come up with.  Bonus points for interesting, thought provoking ones.

I'll give you four: One domestic, two foreign policy, and one personal

Do you think we've gone far enough to address sexual harassment?  What have you done and what will you do to ensure that work is safe, fair and dignified for women of all kinds?

What is your plan to right-size our military and what about downsizing the global mission?

Is there an endgame for the global war on terror?

In the past, how have you responded to, evaluated and learned from your mistakes?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Defiant said:

If you could suggest a question or two (maybe one for each candidate) for tonight's debate, what would it be?

I'd be curious to see what questions people come up with.  Bonus points for interesting, thought provoking ones.

In what ways are you more willing to embrace the oft-forgotten title of "public servant," and selflessly serve the interests of the people and nation as a whole, over and above your own interests, strictly partisan or doctrinal interests, and those of moneyed donors or lobbyists?

I'd ask both of them to describe their commitments to resolve the student debt issue in specific detail. 

I'd also ask what their commitment is to ensuring that the working poor with pre-existing conditions can have access to healthcare that is affordable for them. 

"What is the biggest mistake you've made in your political career, and what did you learn from it?"

I ask a similar question...without the politics...when I'm conducting job interviews.

It tells me a lot.  

First, are they being honest with me?  More so than any other question I've ever thought to ask, I can VERY easily tell whether someone is lying when they try to answer this question.

Second, what was the mistake?  Was it an honest mistake, or a boneheaded one?  

Third, did they actually self-reflect, or are they only now -- during this interview -- scrambling to figure out what the lesson was?