270soft Forum

2018 senate

14 minutes ago, MishFox said:

this isn't really related to anything, but i recently noticed dems won the senate popular vote 58-38 in 2018, yet still had a net loss of two seats. 

Yea, if I remember correctly a lot of the states Democrats won they won by huge margins, whereas Republicans won by much slimmer margins. The fact that California had two Democrats running against each other also padded their numbers.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Yea, if I remember correctly a lot of the states Democrats won they won by huge margins, whereas Republicans won by much slimmer margins. The fact that California had two Democrats running against each other also padded their numbers.

yeah, cali + ny, mass, nj, etc. played a huge part in it, it was just really surprising to me

In part, that's because of which states had Senate elections.  But if you look at the last six years (so *all* Senate seats), if you sum up all the votes from all the elections, Democrats, IIRC, had like 10-15m more votes, but the Senate is 53R-47D.

It's because of the incredibly unequal representative nature of the Senate, giving two seats per state regardless of size, and where six Senators (from CA, FL, TX) are representing a total electorate that's equal to that of 60+ other Senators (from the 30+ smallest states).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_United_States_Senate_elections

Important to remember that 23 of those seats had Democrat incumbents, with Missouri, Indiana, and North Dakota being among those.  States such as those were going to flip Republican if they ran a dead dog in today's era of partisanship (I was surprised that Manchin held his seat to be honest with you).  All the Republicans needed to do was hold the line as best as possible, while flipping what was need to buffer their majority.