270soft Forum

Forum Past Times (off-topic)

After last night, I think it would be nice for everyone to get to know everyone a little better. Share some things you're fond of doing outside the forum with the forum :)

I have been an avid MMO player for a while now, and that mostly comes in the form of a (former) child's game called Wizard101. Ive played for 8 years now, and have finally beat the game for the first time :) I also enjoy reading, I love Game of Thrones (Tully/Tyrell are my favorites), Lord of the Rings, and more. I like to write, whether it be fantasy or RP. 

Outside of that, I play trombone in our marching and jazz bands, and compete in mock trial. It takes up too much of my time 😅

What are you wonderful people up to? 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I write creatively and non-creatively, read books on various subjects, do a lot of random research, play PC games, and pre-COVID hung out at coffee shop and walked all over the city. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I am studying at university full-time, by taking courses mainly in history, politics and East Asian studies. I love watching sports and good movies (especially Lord of the Rings and Star Wars), playing video games and collecting various things. Currently I am buying (old) NFL and NBA cards the most. Besides that I like trains, playing chess and reading about the Supreme Court.

These are basically the most vibrant of my hobbies. I hardly find a field not interesting as you can see on my full chart on the left... I didn't even mention the NASA, mathematics or (classical) music.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I'm a university student! I'm trying to become a history teacher or a government teacher :)

Current history classes I am in are the Vietnam War and in Oct I'll be taking East Asian History.

I like to read a lot. I have a bookshelf overflowing with books. I play video games, not too often tho especially since I've been focusing on university. Final Fantasy is one of my favourites, especially VII and XV. I make scenarios for PI, PMI,CI. 

If you ever have any scenario ideas, share them with me and we can make them a reality 😛

I listen to all sorts of music, especially soundtracks!

I used to be really into Doctor Who, but I haven't seen a good episode in a while. Star Trek is really great too! Love the TOS and TNG. Now I wanna make a scenario based on that lol.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

First of all my absolute favorite past-time is my collection of nearly 400 cigars in my dedicated cigar/whiskey cabinet. Though I hesitate to call it a 'collection' because that implies that i'm saving them forever, when I really plan on smoking every last one of them. I was really into pipes for three months (coinciding with me reading the Sherlock Holmes short stories), but came back to cigars like I always do.

Besides that I enjoy chess (though i'm nowhere near as good as I was when I played everyday, around 2000 rating), investing in stocks (i'm long Tesla, Amazon, Google, Silver, and NRZ, an REIT), building up my businesses (all online for now, but I plan on starting an LLC soon with my buddy who was a former carpenter and also enjoys cigars to do home, roof and garage repairs and maintenance and stuff. I might also purchase my first real estate property under the LLC but who knows how that'll work), and I also enjoy watching history and economics documentaries, but with a new job and a needy (and expensive) girlfriend I don't have much time for that anymore.

My favorite video games are Fallout: New Vegas, Rimworld, and Red Dead Redemption 2. I don't play many video games anymore, but i'm definitely picking up Cyberpunk 2077

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, first and foremost I am a dad of a seven year old daughter.  So most of my free time outside the forum is doing the normal dad stuff.  

I’m also married, so the normal marriage stuff.  We used to go on cruises together.  Lately we’ve been going to bed and breakfasts since cruises are obviously out.  My wife is into antiquing.  I had a great find about two weeks ago, original newspapers announcing things like Abraham Lincoln’s death and the possible discovery of the South Pole.  Also found an advertisement selling tickets for the return trip (from the US) on the Titanic.  I’m having these all framed and hung in my office.  

My wife is also into fostering cats in need of a temporary home until they can be nursed back to health and adopted by their forever family, so we have So. Many. Cats.  

I play poker, Crusader Kings 3, and regularly host virtual board game nights with my old high school friends (we’re all married dads and moms now who live far away from each other, but somehow have stayed close all these decades later).  

And, of course, I run multiple games on here — including the mysterious “Project America.” ;c)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mainly school work,I'm pursuing a Philosophy degree with Law Focus at Penn State. I am double minoring in Political Science and Criminal Justice, I am going to go to law school with a focus on Human and Civil Rights after my undergrad.

Right now I am in an internship for our county Democratic Party, I am the head of the community service part of the Party. 

Passing time hanging out with friends and my significant other, I just got my electric moped so that also. Also the common things like running and working out. 

Also just walking downtown in my college town is great and finding things to do. 

I also have a major interest in cinema, and have been watching a lot of great movies lately:I watched "The Wailing" and "Knives Out" this weekend, they where both amazing.

Games I have been playing to pass time have been DDS Pro Football:21, The political process, and Call of Duty. 

Also I am involved in alot of clubs on campus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

Mainly school work,I'm pursuing a Philosophy degree with Law Focus at Penn State. I am double minoring in Political Science and Criminal Justice, I am going to go to law school with a focus on Human and Civil Rights after my undergrad.

Right now I am in an internship for our county Democratic Party, I am the head of the community service part of the Party. 

Passing time hanging out with friends and my significant other, I just got my electric moped so that also. Also the common things like running and working out. 

Also just walking downtown in my college town is great and finding things to do. 

I also have a major interest in cinema, and have been watching a lot of great movies lately:I watched "The Wailing" and "Knives Out" this weekend, they where both amazing.

Games I have been playing to pass time have been DDS Pro Football:21, The political process, and Call of Duty. 

Also I am involved in alot of clubs on campus.

We’ve probably talked about this before, but I’m a Penn State alum.  My dad works there as well, though not on the Main Campus.

• Like 1
Just now, Actinguy said:

We’ve probably talked about this before, but I’m a Penn State alum.  My dad works there as well, though not on the Main Campus.

I visited so many University's before I landed on Penn State, it was an amazing decision. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

After last night, I think it would be nice for everyone to get to know everyone a little better. Share some things you're fond of doing outside the forum with the forum :)

I have been an avid MMO player for a while now, and that mostly comes in the form of a (former) child's game called Wizard101. Ive played for 8 years now, and have finally beat the game for the first time :) I also enjoy reading, I love Game of Thrones (Tully/Tyrell are my favorites), Lord of the Rings, and more. I like to write, whether it be fantasy or RP. 

Outside of that, I play trombone in our marching and jazz bands, and compete in mock trial. It takes up too much of my time 😅

I’m a huge Game of Thrones fan as well.  Books, tv show (until the final season), crusader kings mod, you name it.  If we end up having another girl, I’ve tried to get my wife to sign off on the name “Maisie” after the actress who played Arya, but my wife will only agree if we spell it Macy, which isn’t happening.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I’m a huge Game of Thrones fan as well.  Books, tv show (until the final season), crusader kings mod, you name it.  If we end up having another girl, I’ve tried to get my wife to sign off on the name “Maisie” after the actress who played Arya, but my wife will only agree if we spell it Macy, which isn’t happening.

Amazing! I'm currently on book 4 (I have read Fire and Blood as well), watched the show, the CK2 mod as well (its wonderful). The characters are so well thought out, I love some of the more niche characters. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

I also play MMO's, though World of Warcraft and Rift are my go-to ones. I love strategy games other than TheorySpark games, but most of them are on the older side, like Civ2, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, the Age of Empires/Mythology series, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (NOT the similarly named, but much later, EA game Star Wars: Battlefronts I'm often assumed to be referring to when I when I mention this game), The Lord of the Rings: the Battle for Middle-Earth 2, Rise of Legends, Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1 (NOT 2), and, formerly, Colonization, Civ1 and 3, and Empire Earth 1. I also play table-top RPG's - I have lots of titles and line of them. I write science fiction and fantasy on an amateur (and by that, I simply mean "unpublished,) level, and have designed whole worlds, cultures, and hypothetical future setups. I also work as a social worker and spend time with my girlfriend of 15 years. And, very notably, I prowl the Internet to learn more about a vast plethora and scope of interests of information and knowledge. Sleeping and eating waste too much of my time. :P

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I used to love DDS Pro Basketball

• Like 1

I like board computer games (mostly adventure and strategy games) and board games (of all sorts).  I like classic movies, and TV wise, I like mysteries, sci-fi and British shows.  I like audiobooks/audio dramas/old time radio.

• Like 1