270soft Forum

NYT: Trump didn't pay income tax for 10 of 15 years

Trump Tax Poll  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If true, which of the following from the NYT should result in Trump somehow being punished (resigning, going on trial, being audited, and/or etc.)

• Trump not paying income tax 10 times in the last 15 years.
    • Trump paying only $750 in income tax in 2016 and 2017.
    • Trump has hundreds of millions in debt
    • Even if true, he should not face consequences
  2. 2. If you believe Trump should face some sort of consequences for the above, what do you think should happen?

• Nothing more than an official release of his taxes ASAP
    • He should be forced to resign ASAP
    • He should face an audit ASAP.
    • He should go on trial for tax fraud ASAP
    • He should face some sort of consequence but none of the above.
    • He should not face any consequences even if it is true.
  3. 3. Will this tax news have any real impact on the polls?

4. 4. Do you think the NYT report is accurate?

• I'm leaning mostly or entirely yes.
    • I'm leaning mostly or entirely no.

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

If somebody was still a Trump supporter yesterday, their concept of “true” is so far gone that it can never be repaired.

Yeah that’s why I think it helps Biden in the polls only so much that few new people will flock to him.  Basically, I think this sustains Biden +7 vs Trump. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, there is a reason why I don't post too often on the forum(Aside from the RPs which are run here). That reason is because this forum has become dominated by people like you @admin_270. It has

He's dead, and he's not on this forum. So I'm telling it to you.

I doubt that you can whittle that number all the way down to 0. Key word is minimize, not eliminate. I'm sure everyone's well aware that there are ways to avoid paying taxes. Even if somehow, some way

Posted Images

If somebody was still a Trump supporter yesterday, their concept of “true” is so far gone that it can never be repaired.

I cannot picture myself voting for the man unlike at the beginning of this year. I'm either voting Jorgensen out of principle or Biden out of duty.

• Like 3
Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Biden out of duty.

The feeling of HAVING to vote for a particular candidate out of DUTY, in just a void and generic context, seems to me to be horribly dystopian and an utter defeat of the very fundamental principle of elected, constitutional governance. You'll have to forgive me if I find the terminology unsettling.

• Like 1
Just now, Patine said:

The feeling of HAVING to vote for a particular candidate out of DUTY, in just a void and generic context, seems to me to be horribly dystopian and an utter defeat of the very fundamental principle of elected, constitutional governance. You'll have to forgive me if I find the terminology unsettling.

It's ok, i'm used to your viewing of our government as a dystopian, Orwellian, fascist state. Kidding, lol. :P 

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

It's ok, i'm used to your viewing of our government as a dystopian, Orwellian, fascist state. Kidding, lol. :P 

Although, despite unfounded accusations about my views, I still see at least 75% of current nations' governments as being worse - and I've made that clear several time. Admittedly, though, a fair number of those nations have such crappy governments because of, or direct reaction to, American military, economic, or political meddling and intervention, but the British, French, Portuguese, Russians, and Chinses are to blame for a lot of the others' craptastic state of politics.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Patine said:

Although, despite unfounded accusations about my views, I still see at least 75% of current nations' governments as being worse - and I've made that clear several time. Admittedly, though, a fair number of those nations have such crappy governments because of, or direct reaction to, American military, economic, or political meddling and intervention, but the British, French, Portuguese, Russians, and Chinses are to blame for a lot of the others' craptastic state of politics.

I know, lol, I was joking.

8 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

As a member of a safe state I love having no duty to vote for any candidate, or to vote at all.

As a Canadian citizen I like usually having more than two potentially viable choices at the ballot box.

• Upvote 2

I haven't read the story, but I think it might be deserving of an audit, though I'm guessing he just used legal loopholes.

I think it has no significant impact on the polls except to stop or slow down what potential undecideds there are from moving in Trump's direction (and any  day where Trump isn't pulling in support is a great day for Biden as it brings us closer to the election).   Though if it does have an impact, it might be impossible to tell (between this, the supreme court news, the debates, etc, if there are any shifts in poll at this time, it will probably be difficult to tell what caused it).

32 minutes ago, Defiant said:

I haven't read the story, but I think it might be deserving of an audit, though I'm guessing he just used legal loopholes.

I think it has no significant impact on the polls except to stop or slow down what potential undecideds there are from moving in Trump's direction (and any  day where Trump isn't pulling in support is a great day for Biden as it brings us closer to the election).   Though if it does have an impact, it might be impossible to tell (between this, the supreme court news, the debates, etc, if there are any shifts in poll at this time, it will probably be difficult to tell what caused it).

He is actively being audited over a $75 million fraudulent tax refund.  This investigation by the NYTimes revealed multiple other frauds he could end up being audited for as well.

I'd really recommend reading the article.  There is some amazing levels of journalism there.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Patine said:

It's not a void and generic context.  The context is Donald Trump is President of the United States.  You may have heard of him.

Love all you guys, and I (usually) enjoy the back and forth - but @ThePotatoWalrus is right. My apologies to anyone who felt unfairly attacked. I used a few monikers when I shouldn't have, and instead should have simply explained how certain tax stuff works and why it might be relevant in a case like this. Peace everybody. And buckle up - we're still 35 days from the election!

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

It's not a void and generic context.  The context is Donald Trump is President of the United States.  You may have heard of him.

You missed my point again. You're really doing poorly at thinking in broad terms and large-scale trends. You only seem to think in strictly contextually-based specifics, and react with self-righteous indignity when the former way of putting things is applied in a subject you don't, personally, like it to be. That is very annoying to deal with.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

You missed my point again. You're really doing poorly at thinking in broad terms and large-scale trends. You only seem to think in strictly contextually-based specifics, and react with self-righteous indignity when the former way of putting things is applied in a subject you don't, personally, like it to be. That is very annoying to deal with.

Ha!  I appreciate your concern, but I assure you that nothing you say here has ever risen me to the level of “indignant.”  I simply do not take you that seriously.

Most of us have to live in the real world, which is the only option we have.  There are not other worlds that we have access to.

And in the real world, assuming no health crises, it is Donald Trump or it is Joe Biden.  In this real world, someone saying they feel a duty to stop Donald Trump with the only legal tool that they have, their vote, is simply speaking the truth.

Third parties in America are a joke, as you surely are aware because you lament it at every opportunity.  This is, in part, because they have not nominated a single serious candidate in my lifetime.  When the talent pool outside the two party system is non-existent, I find it difficult to bemoan the lack of opportunity given to people who should not be the President in the first place.

Ha!  I appreciate your concern, but I assure you that nothing you say here has ever risen me to the level of “indignant.”  I simply do not take you that seriously.

Most of us have to live in the real world, which is the only option we have.  There are not other worlds that we have access to.

And in the real world, assuming no health crises, it is Donald Trump or it is Joe Biden.  In this real world, someone saying they feel a duty to stop Donald Trump with the only legal tool that they have, their vote, is simply speaking the truth.

Third parties in America are a joke, as you surely are aware because you lament it at every opportunity.  This is, in part, because they have not nominated a single serious candidate in my lifetime.  When the talent pool outside the two party system is non-existent, I find it difficult to bemoan the lack of opportunity given to people who should not be the President in the first place.

Look here, jackass! Your arrogant and condescending attitude really does not suit you at all. It's a better fit for Trump - though he's a lot more boisterous. You obviously didn't understand - and still obviously don't - the point I was making. Your initial boneheaded response was not only unwelcome, it showed you're not just paying attention or comprehending a lot of what's said anymore, but still expect to be given credence and respect as though you did. @servo75 had that bad habit all the time. And now you're doubling down on looking the fool and showing you still have no grasp of what I was saying and what you were responding to in a completely braindead way - but insisting you knew what you what were talking about. So, basically, just butt out. You come across as a egotistical idiot when you do this.

• Haha 1
Just now, Patine said:

Look here, jackass! Your arrogant and condescending attitude really does not suit you at all. It's a better fit for Trump - though he's a lot more boisterous. You obviously didn't understand - and still obviously don't - the point I was making. Your initial boneheaded response was not only unwelcome, it showed you're not just paying attention or comprehending a lot of what's said anymore, but still expect to be given credence and respect as though you did. @servo75 had that bad habit all the time. And now you're doubling down on looking the fool and showing you still have no grasp of what I was saying and what you were responding to in a completely braindead way - but insisting you knew what you what were talking about. So, basically, just butt out. You come across as a egotistical idiot when you do this.

You accuse me of indignation, then give me “look here, jackass!  Your arrogant and condescending attitude...”

I think maybe I’m not the one being indignant.

Just now, Actinguy said:

You accuse me of indignation, then give me “look here, jackass!  Your arrogant and condescending attitude...”

I think maybe I’m not the one being indignant.

Oh, for crying in the bloody sink! Get a damned grip!

• Haha 1