Jump to content
270soft Forum

NYT: Trump didn't pay income tax for 10 of 15 years


Trump Tax Poll  

27 members have voted

  1. 1. If true, which of the following from the NYT should result in Trump somehow being punished (resigning, going on trial, being audited, and/or etc.)

    • Trump not paying income tax 10 times in the last 15 years.
    • Trump paying only $750 in income tax in 2016 and 2017.
    • Trump has hundreds of millions in debt
    • Even if true, he should not face consequences
  2. 2. If you believe Trump should face some sort of consequences for the above, what do you think should happen?

    • Nothing more than an official release of his taxes ASAP
    • He should be forced to resign ASAP
    • He should face an audit ASAP.
    • He should go on trial for tax fraud ASAP
    • He should face some sort of consequence but none of the above.
    • He should not face any consequences even if it is true.
  3. 3. Will this tax news have any real impact on the polls?

  4. 4. Do you think the NYT report is accurate?

    • I'm leaning mostly or entirely yes.
    • I'm leaning mostly or entirely no.


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

How in the world do you know how much in taxes Jeff Bezos pays? My guess is it's a lot less than you think it is.

I'm not claiming to know how much he pays. I'm saying he presumably does pay it. Trump doesn't 10 out of 15 years. That can't be right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, there is a reason why I don't post too often on the forum(Aside from the RPs which are run here). That reason is because this forum has become dominated by people like you @admin_270. It has

He's dead, and he's not on this forum. So I'm telling it to you.

I doubt that you can whittle that number all the way down to 0. Key word is minimize, not eliminate. I'm sure everyone's well aware that there are ways to avoid paying taxes. Even if somehow, some way

Posted Images

Just now, admin_270 said:

Very wealthy people often pay little in income taxes relative to their overall wealth. Haven't you listened to Bernie Sanders lately?

There are all sorts of ways to avoid paying taxes. Wealthy people often hire a team of tax consultants to minimize their tax loads.

Avoiding paying one's proper due in taxes is not at all ethical, and not something to proudly defend. It's corruption, plain and simple. That's ALSO what Sanders was saying. And I'd also like and answer to my question I asked twice above.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

And how much taxes does one owe in this situation? How much of it is personal income that is taxable?

Who knows? If you have a $1M mortgage, and own $2M in real estate, how much are your taxes? The question suggests financial illiteracy - there's no way to know based on that information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Very wealthy people often pay little in income taxes relative to their overall wealth. Haven't you listened to Bernie Sanders lately?

There are all sorts of ways to avoid paying taxes. Wealthy people often hire a team of tax consultants to minimize their tax loads.

I doubt that you can whittle that number all the way down to 0. Key word is minimize, not eliminate. I'm sure everyone's well aware that there are ways to avoid paying taxes. Even if somehow, some way he made it get down to 0 legally (which I bet is a close to 0% chance), there's reason to be inflamed at the system itself - someone who theoretically is worth 3.2 billion dollars was able to pay nothing in taxes, while everyday Americans have to pay more than that. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Who knows? If you have a $1M mortgage, and own $2M in real estate, how much are your taxes? The question suggests financial illiteracy - there's no way to know based on that information.

I believe he was asking you that question, since you seem to be an expert on the subject.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@admin_270 Could you please answer my question?! It's a lynchpin of part of what I think you're saying, but avoiding coming right out and admitting it because such would greatly undermine your point. Your ignoring of it makes be believe I'm absolutely correct on the issue. So, could swallow the bitter pill and answer my question?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

I doubt that you can whittle that number all the way down to 0. Key word is minimize, not eliminate. I'm sure everyone's well aware that there are ways to avoid paying taxes. Even if somehow, some way he made it get down to 0 legally (which I bet is a close to 0% chance), there's reason to be inflamed at the system itself - someone who theoretically is worth 3.2 billion dollars was able to pay nothing in taxes, while everyday Americans have to pay more than that. 

Trump is a billionaire. Yes, very wealthy people can get that number down to 0 for certain years. Wealth is usually held in stock and real estate. Those are assets, not income streams that are taxed. Tax life is different when you move up from the middle class.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patine said:

@admin_270 Could you please answer my question?! It's a lynchpin of part of what I think you're saying, but avoiding coming right out and admitting it because such would greatly undermine your point. Your ignoring of it makes be believe I'm absolutely correct on the issue. So, could swallow the bitter pill and answer my question?

Which question?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, admin_270 said:

Which question?

This question.

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

Are you saying that Donald Trump should legally be considered AS ONE with his business interest? That's Feudal and Monarchal thinking, big time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm not claiming to know how much he pays. I'm saying he presumably does pay it. Trump doesn't 10 out of 15 years. That can't be right.

I don't understand this. Are you suggest Trump hasn't been paying the taxes he legally owes? That's a different claim than the NYT article is making.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I'm giving you my understanding of these things because you seem ignorant.

27 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

How old are you again?

23 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

You're upset because you're being called out - you just have no idea what you're talking about. How old are you?

19 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

You're so clueless about this it's painful talking with you.

11 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

The question suggests financial illiteracy

Just FYI, talking to everyone like they're an idiot doesn't make you seem intelligent. It just makes it obvious you're a dick.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Who knows? If you have a $1M mortgage, and own $2M in real estate, how much are your taxes? The question suggests financial illiteracy - there's no way to know based on that information.

My guess my question to you is this: Do you think it is more probable than not that Trump was legally able to reduce his personal taxes to zero in 10 of 15 years?

The bigger question then would be (but please answer the first), how many billionaires are not paying taxes? Is this percentage significantly higher than middle income earners that are not paying taxes? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

I just tell people the truth, and they think I'm giving them hell.

You aren't, you're giving an opinion like everybody else.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, there is a reason why I don't post too often on the forum(Aside from the RPs which are run here). That reason is because this forum has become dominated by people like you @admin_270. It has become dominated by wackos who will spend hours arguing to defend Trump, hours going over the same arguments over and over again, and hours turning this forum into a sad warzone where they can gloat over their claimed intellect. And you what's the saddest thing about this? We have someone running this forum who is just another one of these wackos. He inflames the conversation, constantly attacks forum members, and uses the most bad-faith arguments I have ever seen. He is a part of the disease infecting this forum, and I hope that he will stop his bad-faith and narcissistic rants to look around and see what he is contributing to on this site.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I don't understand this. Are you suggest Trump hasn't been paying the taxes he legally owes? That's a different claim than the NYT article is making.

I'm inclined to believe he's not paying his taxes. It seems like a Trump thing to do, and he hires the kinds of lawyers that would do it. I could be wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

I just tell people the truth, and they think I'm giving them hell.

Saying you tell people your view and perception of the truth does not automatically make it THE TRUTH. To think it does makes such an attitude the height of egotistical arrogance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Do you think it is more probable than not that Trump was legally able to reduce his personal taxes to zero in 10 of 15 years?

The bigger question then would be (but please answer the first), how many billionaires are not paying taxes? Is this percentage significantly higher than middle income earners that are not paying taxes? 

1. Maybe. Really depends on his tax situation. That's what audits are for, Trump claims he's been under audit for a long time, and the NYT article corroborates that claim. So perhaps the audit will find some improper accounting. But on its face, yes, that sounds possible to me.

2. No idea. Again, billionaire is about assets, income taxes are about income streams. These are different things.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Blood said:

We have someone running this forum who is just another one of these wackos. He inflames the conversation, constantly attacks forum members, and uses the most bad-faith arguments I have ever seen. He is a part of the disease infecting this forum, and I hope that he will stop his bad-faith and narcissistic rants to look around and see what he is contributing to on this site.

I think what you want is for everyone to agree that Trump is bad.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm inclined to believe he's not paying his taxes. It seems like a Trump thing to do, and he hires the kinds of lawyers that would do it. I could be wrong. 

OK, but I don't think that's what the NYT article is claiming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

I just tell people the truth, and they think I'm giving them hell.

 You seem to have a hair-trigger for defending Trump at all costs, so it seems unclear to us whether your response is a knee-jerk defense or if it has some sort of substance to it. 

We also probably know so little of taxes compared to a tax lawyer that deals with billionaires that we can't determine whether you are credible or not in your defense. 

To an average income person, or a low income person, that has to pay taxes every year--- it seems unusual---even bizarre--to not pay taxes 10 of 15 years. I've never heard that reported for anyone else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...