270soft Forum

NYT: Trump didn't pay income tax for 10 of 15 years

Trump Tax Poll  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If true, which of the following from the NYT should result in Trump somehow being punished (resigning, going on trial, being audited, and/or etc.)

• Trump not paying income tax 10 times in the last 15 years.
    • Trump paying only $750 in income tax in 2016 and 2017.
    • Trump has hundreds of millions in debt
    • Even if true, he should not face consequences
  2. 2. If you believe Trump should face some sort of consequences for the above, what do you think should happen?

• Nothing more than an official release of his taxes ASAP
    • He should be forced to resign ASAP
    • He should face an audit ASAP.
    • He should go on trial for tax fraud ASAP
    • He should face some sort of consequence but none of the above.
    • He should not face any consequences even if it is true.
  3. 3. Will this tax news have any real impact on the polls?

4. 4. Do you think the NYT report is accurate?

• I'm leaning mostly or entirely yes.
    • I'm leaning mostly or entirely no.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know, there is a reason why I don't post too often on the forum(Aside from the RPs which are run here). That reason is because this forum has become dominated by people like you @admin_270. It has

He's dead, and he's not on this forum. So I'm telling it to you.

I doubt that you can whittle that number all the way down to 0. Key word is minimize, not eliminate. I'm sure everyone's well aware that there are ways to avoid paying taxes. Even if somehow, some way

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I believe a lot of corrupt plutocrats get away with this easily, because the highly biased and easily swayed by wealth and power IRS allows it, but harries much lower-income earners for every cent owed. The whole system is need of fundamental reform - just like many other crooked bureaucracies.

And I voted in the poll.

I do think this will impact the polls, but not in any immediately visible way. I think the current poll #s will stay about where they are. I just think this will make it near impossible for Trump to decrease Biden's lead, that's all. 

I was 60% sure Biden would win a month ago. This moved up to 90% this month. If this is true or seems likely true to most voters, then I think Biden has a 99% chance of winning.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I do think this will impact the polls, but not in any immediately visible way. I think the current poll #s will stay about where they are. I just think this will make it near impossible for Trump to decrease Biden's lead, that's all. 

I was 60% sure Biden would win a month ago. This moved up to 90% this month. If this is true or seems likely true to most voters, then I think Biden has a 99% chance of winning.

If Biden hammers this on Tuesday, it could help him. Otherwise, probably not.

Just now, Patine said:

I believe a lot of corrupt plutocrats get away with this easily, because the highly biased and easily swayed by wealth and power IRS allows it, but harries much lower-income earners for every cent owed. The whole system is need of fundamental reform - just like many other crooked bureaucracies.

I think anyone that makes at least 1 billion should automatically be audited. If they're good to their word, they have nothing to fear. I'd wager at least 25% of billionaires or more are probably committing some sort of tax fraud. 

"which of the following from the NYT should result in Trump somehow being punished (resigning, going on trial, being audited, and/or etc.)"

Is it being alleged he did something illegal? Otherwise, why should he be 'punished'? If it's all legal, then I would congratulate the man for avoiding unnecessarily paying taxes.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

"which of the following from the NYT should result in Trump somehow being punished (resigning, going on trial, being audited, and/or etc.)"

Is it being alleged he did something illegal? Otherwise, why should he be 'punished'? If it's all legal, then I would congratulate the man for avoiding unnecessarily paying taxes.

And I'm sure that's the unbelievably selfish and uncaring way Trump would look at it too, it's a good job not everyone does or we'd live in a much bleaker world.

6 minutes ago, Mark_W said:

And I'm sure that's the unbelievably selfish and uncaring way Trump would look at it too, it's a good job not everyone does or we'd live in a much bleaker world.

Do you pay more taxes than you are required by law?

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

If he is as rich as he says he is I doubt his taxes are 0...

Just now, admin_270 said:

Do you pay more taxes than you are required by law?

I don't look for loopholes to pay less than I realistically should.

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

If he is as rich as he says he is I doubt his taxes are 0...

These things are a bit more complex than that. For example, in 2018, Amazon had $200B in revenue and paid $0 in federal tax (in fact, the federal government paid Amazon +$100M https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/amazon-no-income-taxes-2018/ ).

This applies whenever the finances are complex, and especially when talking about real estate, where your value can increase without paying income taxes.

• Like 1

How do you decide what you 'should' pay? Which loopholes do you ignore?

My income tax is deducted by my employer, I don't have any taxes to pay that aren't taken automatically. If there are any loopholes I could take advantage of I don't know what they are, becuase I've never looked, because I don't mind supporting the public good.

These things are a bit more complex than that. For example, in 2018, Amazon had $200B in revenue and paid $0 in federal tax (in fact, the federal government paid Amazon +$100M https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/amazon-no-income-taxes-2018/ ).

This applies whenever the finances are complex, and especially when talking about real estate, where your value can increase without paying income taxes.

Amazon is a company, not a private person. Thats not the same comparison. Its funny to watch you try to spin this, though.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Mark_W said:

I don't mind supporting the public good

Many people want to support goods, but don't think paying more taxes is the best way to do so.

Instead of siphoning money off to a distant federal capital, I'd rather spend that money in my community. Support local businesses, charities, and my family.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Amazon is a company, not a private person. Thats not the same comparison. Its funny to watch you try to spin this, though.

I'm not trying to spin, I'm giving you my understanding of these things because you seem ignorant. Have you run a business?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Mark_W said:

My income tax is deducted by my employer, I don't have any taxes to pay that aren't taken automatically. If there are any loopholes I could take advantage of I don't know what they are, becuase I've never looked, because I don't mind supporting the public good.

It's usually those who are self-employed, business owners or shareholders - or corrupt politicians - or otherwise manage their own income at all or most levels that do have the ability to engage in such crooked endeavours.

7 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Undertaxing or non-taxing big corporations is also a travesty and corruption of tax law - arguably even worse than as it applies to individual billionaires.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I'm not trying to spin, I'm giving you my understanding of these things because you seem ignorant. Have you run a business?

I'm fairly sure this is in regards to personal income tax and not the Trump Organization. I'm not sure how Trump (a person) can avoid paying taxes. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Have you? Ignorant? That's a bit loaded, don't you think? Perhaps you're ignorant of what the American people care about because you're not the one watching their own President swindle his way out of paying federal taxes when a single mother of five would have to pay more than that working at McDonald's. Perhaps you're ignorant of the fact that Americans care that our public officials should be paying taxes because we are. President Obama and President Bush both paid $100,000 or more in taxes while being President - and had the same base income ($400k) as Trump. So, assuredly it should be the same. 

You can say all you want, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's a fucking duck. 

Edit: also what vcczar said is very important.

• Like 2
Just now, vcczar said:

I'm fairly sure this is in regards to personal income tax and not the Trump Organization. I'm not sure how Trump (a person) can avoid paying taxes. 

Have you every owned a business? Owned large amounts of real estate?

• Like 1