270soft Forum

What Would Be Your Platform if You Were the Pres Nominee in 2020?

What Would Be Your Platform if You Were the Pres Nominee in 2020?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. DOMESTIC: Check all that would be part of your platform if you were a 2020 nominee.

• Police Departments should be abolished
    • Police Departments should be defunded
    • Police Departments should not be defunded
    • Police Departments should not only be protected but they should get more funding.
    • Assault weapons should be banned.
    • Assault weapons should not be banned.
    • The cash bail system should be abolished.
    • The cash bail system should be protected.
    • The death penalty should be abolished
    • The death penalty should be protected
    • Private prisons should be banned
    • Private prisons should be protected
    • DC should be given statehood
    • DC should not be given statehood
    • Confederate statues should be taken down
    • Confederate statues should be protected
    • Puerto Rico should be given statehood
    • Puerto Rico should not be given statehood
    • Marijuana should be legal nationwide
    • Marijuana should not be legal nationwide
    • We need a carbon tax to help reduce climate change
    • We do not need a carbon tax
    • We must move to 100% clean energy
    • We must not move to 100% clean energy
    • We should expand extraction of fossil fuels on public land
    • We should not expand extraction of fossil fuels on public land
    • Fracking should be abolished
    • Fracking should be protected
    • We should adopt something similar to the Green New Deal to combat climate change
    • We should not adopt something similar to the Green New Deal
    • LGBT couples should not be allowed to adopt children if an adoption agency wants to discriminate.
    • LGBT couples should be allowed to adopt children even if an adoption agency discriminates against LGBT couples
    • Employers should be allowed to discriminate against LGBT employees.
    • Employers should not be allowed to discriminate against LGBT employees.
    • A business should be allowed to deny services to LGBT, Muslims, etc., using religious freedoms laws?
    • A business should not be allowed to deny services to LGBT, Muslims, etc., using religious freedoms laws?
    • Transgender people should be allowed to serve in the military
    • Transgender people should not be allowed to serve in the military
    • The Supreme Court should be expanded to include more justices
    • The Supreme Court should not have the number of judges expanded
    • The Supreme Court justices should be term limited
    • The Supreme Court justices should not be term limited
    • The filibuster should be abolished from the legislative branch
    • The filibuster should not be abolished from the legislative branch
    • The nuclear option should be undone and abolished from ever happened in order to preserve bipartisanship. 60 votes for confirmations.
    • The nuclear option is the new normal and it is acceptable in a partisan age. A straight majority is all that should be needed for confirmations.
    • The powers of the Presidency and the executive branch should be expanded.
    • The powers of the Presidency and the executive branch should be maintained as they are.
    • The powers of the Presidency and the executive branch should be reduced.
  2. 2. Economics:

• The economy should "shut down" during a COVID-like pandemic if scientists strongly recommend it.
    • The economy should not "shut down" during a COVID-like pandemic, even if scientists strongly recommend it.
    • Descendants of slaves should receive reparations from the federal government.
    • Descendants of slaves should not receive reparations from the federal government.
    • Federal Taxes should be increased.
    • Federal Taxes should remain as they are.
    • Federal Taxes should be decreased
    • The minimum wage should be increased.
    • The minimum wage should not be increased.
    • We should implement Universal Basic Income
    • We should not implement Universal Basic Income
    • We should implement a Wealth Tax
    • We should not implement a Wealth Tax
    • Student loans should be forgiven
    • Student loans should not be forgiven
    • Public colleges should be tuition free
    • Public colleges should not be tuition free
    • Abortion Rights should be protected
    • Abortion Rights should be banned or greatly restricted.
    • We should have a Medicare for All Healthcare system or something much more universal than we have now.
    • We should just improve upon Obamacare
    • Obamacare should be dismantled and not replaced with a national healthcare system.
    • Americans should be allowed to import less expensive prescription drugs from other countries
    • Americans should not be allowed to import less expensive prescription drugs from other countries
    • US should regulate the prices of prescription drugs in the US to lower them
    • US should not force the lowering of prescription drug prices in the US
    • We should take drastic economic measures to reduce the national debt and other spending deficits.
    • The national debt and deficits clearly don't matter. It's much more important to invest in our country and our people at all costs. Spend. Spend. Spend.
  3. 3. Foreign Affairs/Military/Immigration

• We should maintain Trump's tariffs on China
    • We should not maintain Trump's tariffs on China
    • We should remove or ease sanctions on Cuba
    • We should maintain or increase sanctions on Cuba
    • We should re-enter the Iran Nuclear Deal
    • We should not re-enter the Iran Nuclear Deal
    • We should withdraw all remaining troops from the Middle East and Central Asia
    • We should not withdraw all remaining troops from the Middle East and Central Asia
    • We should increase the number of troops in the Middle East and Central Asia
    • We should decrease the defense budget
    • We should increase the defense budget
    • US should abolish DACA (Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals)
    • US should protect DACA
    • Illegal border crossings should be decriminalized
    • Illegal border crossings should not be decriminalized.
    • Undocumented immigrants should have a pathway to citizenship
    • Undocumented immigrants should not have a pathway to citizenship
    • The US should ease any restrictions on the number of immigrants entering the country
    • The US should increase restrictions on the number of immigrants entering the country
    • America should have an aggressive foreign policy, even if it means interfering in other country's elections or governments.
    • America greatly reduce its interference in other country's affairs.
    • America should use their military pre-emptively to protect national interests, even if there is no real threat of invasion or nuclear attack.
    • America should refrain from using the military except in cases of national defense and/or humanitarian reasons (such to stop genocide).
  4. 4. Elections

• Election Day should be a national holiday
    • Election Day should not be a national holiday
    • The electoral college should be abolished
    • The electoral college should be protected
    • Former felons should be allowed to vote
    • Former felons should not be allowed to vote
    • US should expand vote-by-mail
    • US should not expand vote-by-mail
    • Voters should be required to show voter ID at the polling station.
    • Voters should not be required to show voter ID at the polling station.
    • Super Pacs should be abolished
    • Super Pacs should be protected
    • All candidates should release their taxes and the results of their mental and physical health screenings in order to run for office.
    • Candidates should be allowed to hide their taxes and the results of their mental and physical health screenings if they wish.
    • The country is better off after a Donald Trump presidency.
    • The country is worse off after a Donald Trump presidency.

16 hours ago, Centrist Emperor Kerzaris said:

Who voted to deny trans people to serve in the military? 

I'm not hurting you. I just wanna talk :)

I did. Gender dysphoria is a mental illness like any other and our servicemen have high enough suicide rates. We need to take in only people who are emotionally prepared to be a soldier and face combat, even for non-combat roles.

I don't have a problem with trans individuals outside of the military, as long as it doesn't affect me in any way (which it doesn't, currently), I just don't want people mentally unsound in the greatest and biggest military in the world. We live in a world with the highest amount of social tolerance in history. The fact that transgender suicide and self-harm rates are still exceptionally higher than other mental illnesses and the fact that our VA healthcare system sucks ass and mentally ill people need good healthcare are more reasons why I disapprove.

According to the UCLA over 5% of trans people who have NOT been discriminated against still attempt suicide, which raises to 51% after 4 or more discrimination experiences. That's not normal.

Not even regarding any of that, we have no problem finding people to enlist currently. The purpose of a military is to be strong defenders of a nation in direct combat. The military is no place for diversity quotas - each quota reduces the maximum talent that our armed forces can have. War isn't a happy place, I don't think a trans person could handle that kind of stress.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to weigh in on the "should transgender people serve in the military" as it's not my argument, but just because I saw this, I like to adhere to the quote by none other than Senator Barry Goldwater. "You don't need to be straight to fight and die for your country... you just need to shoot straight." I'll leave it at that. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, PringlesN7 said:

I'm not going to weigh in on the "should transgender people serve in the military" as it's not my argument, but just because I saw this, I like to adhere to the quote by none other than Senator Barry Goldwater. "You don't need to be straight to fight and die for your country... you just need to shoot straight." I'll leave it at that. :)

Good man. Different animal. I have no problem with LGB people serving in the military.

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Good man. Different animal. I have no problem with LGB people serving in the military.

The big issue is people fighting and dying for their country for reasons their government (and big corporations lobbying - let's call a spade a spade - bribing said governments to do their bidding), full of politicians and wealthy businesspeople whose children never go to war unless they REALLY want to and fully know about the lies and false pretenses - and then they always start as privileged and well-connected officers right out of the academy - are lying about and thus committing high treason and betrayal of the trust to their own citizens and first-degree murder for every American soldier and foreign national killed in such illegal wars for such vile, ulterior motives that only benefit the ultra-elite, as well as often "tail-wagging-the-dog," foreign allies, and not the vast majority of the nation. This is the real problem at stake.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

The big issue is people fighting and dying for their country for reasons their government (and big corporations lobbying - let's call a spade a spade - bribing said governments to do their bidding), full of politicians and wealthy businesspeople whose children never go to war unless they REALLY want to and fully know about the lies and false pretenses - and then they always start as privileged and well-connected officers right out of the academy - are lying about and thus committing high treason and betrayal of the trust to their own citizens and first-degree murder for every American soldier and national killed in such illegal wars for such vile, ulterior motives that only benefit the ultra-elite, as well as often "tail-wagging-the-dog," foreign allies, and not the vast majority of the nation. This is the real problem at stake.

I agree. I'm just saying what I'd like for the military that we should use strictly in defense.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

The big issue is people fighting and dying for their country for reasons their government (and big corporations lobbying - let's call a spade a spade - bribing said governments to do their bidding), full of politicians and wealthy businesspeople whose children never go to war unless they REALLY want to and fully know about the lies and false pretenses - and then they always start as privileged and well-connected officers right out of the academy - are lying about and thus committing high treason and betrayal of the trust to their own citizens and first-degree murder for every American soldier and national killed in such illegal wars for such vile, ulterior motives that only benefit the ultra-elite, as well as often "tail-wagging-the-dog," foreign allies, and not the vast majority of the nation. This is the real problem at stake.

Yep. Massive problem. Just forgot what this had to do with transgenders in the army 😕

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I did. Gender dysphoria is a mental illness like any other and our servicemen have high enough suicide rates. We need to take in only people who are emotionally prepared to be a soldier and face combat, even for non-combat roles.

I don't have a problem with trans individuals outside of the military, as long as it doesn't affect me in any way (which it doesn't, currently), I just don't want people mentally unsound in the greatest and biggest military in the world. We live in a world with the highest amount of social tolerance in history. The fact that transgender suicide and self-harm rates are still exceptionally higher than other mental illnesses and the fact that our VA healthcare system sucks ass and mentally ill people need good healthcare are more reasons why I disapprove.

According to the UCLA over 5% of trans people who have NOT been discriminated against still attempt suicide, which raises to 51% after 4 or more discrimination experiences. That's not normal.

Not even regarding any of that, we have no problem finding people to enlist currently. The purpose of a military is to be strong defenders of a nation in direct combat. The military is no place for diversity quotas - each quota reduces the maximum talent that our armed forces can have. War isn't a happy place, I don't think a trans person could handle that kind of stress.

So outright ban them from serving? Aight. The same argument could be made against me, as I am gay. And gay suicide rates are high in my country. The Veteran sht is also shitty and the Military People in here are arguably more stressed than in your Military. Soldiers fight in the jungle here. 

I actually based my 12th Grade "Thesis" on the effect of Ostracization and Discrimination on gay people. So, even if the sample was low, I have a general idea. 

I am seriously planning on serving the Military, I just need my parents' approval. Now I ask you, should I be deprived of serving the country I love? Am I somehow less of a person? Am I less justified if I wanna fight Islamic Terrorists that murder Gay people? Why do we need to coddle LGB and T people? LGBT Adults are not so different from Hetero Adults. We can make our own decisions for ourself. We don't need the Government telling us what is and what isn't good for us. That's just Big Brother shit. 

And btw, I don't buy the Quota argument from you. No one is saying there should be a quota. What we're saying is that they should be ALLOWED if they want to. Not that there are many of them that exists and want to. And no one is telling the Military to accept trans people just cause they're trans. It's "accept trans people if they can go toe to toe with heteros". 

And I find it offensive of you to suggest that Trans people will somehow weaken the military. Like I don't get the logic. Doesn't the military pride itself on it's meritocratic way of taking in people? Doesn't the military treat all newbies as shit, regardless of gender and all that stuff? 

I find it patronizing of you to declare what trans people can and cannot handle. Don't generalize. 

I have to clarify that all of these are said in a calm manner. Hope you don't misinterpret. And sorry for my inadequate English. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

You don't get to say what Trans people can and cannot handle. You don't know all of them.

5 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I did. Gender dysphoria is a mental illness like any other

You very obviously suffer from several mental illnesses. Your posts and attitude make that crystal clear. So paternalistically talking down to people about presumed and alleged mental illnesses is highly two-faced, and an argument you have no leg to stand on in.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You realize the majority (if slight majority) of those you've tagged have taken it (like me). :P

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Patine said:

You realize the majority (if slight majority) of those you've tagged have taken it (like me). :P

I know this is just my list of active users. Maybe others should be on here. 

• Upvote 2
On 10/2/2020 at 9:35 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I actually do understand that you’re trying to make a rational argument here, and I appreciate that as it’s a rarity on the internet.  But a few things to clarify, as an Iraq War Veteran myself.

1) “The VA” is actually something like 480 different hospitals across the country.  Some of them are, indeed, poorly run.  The one in Phoenix made national news a couple years ago for being shockingly bad.  But most of them are outstanding.  In Michigan, for example, the civilian hospitals got immediately overrun with COVID and it was the VA hospitals there who stepped up to save the day by “activating the fourth mission” — meaning that they stopped exclusively serving Veterans and began treating anyone who needed a hospital regardless of whether you served in the military, had insurance, or had any ability to pay.  The doctors, nurses, and staff did so at great personal risk to themselves — hundreds of them contracted COVID themselves, and dozens died from it — and received no extra income or other additional compensation.  They did it because it was the right thing to do.  So when you’re talking about how bad “the VA” is, you’re talking about maybe five bad apples and 475 heroes.

2) People in the military don’t actually use VA hospitals at all, except in rare cases.  VA hospitals are for Veterans — which is to say, people who are no longer in the military.  You don’t become a Veteran until you finish being in the military.  When you’re still in the military, you use the Department of Defense’s medical centers, which are completely separate from VA.

3) You’re absolutely right that suicide is a serious issue in the military.  Because of that, both the Department of Defense hospitals and the VA are extensively trained in suicide prevention.  And not just the mental health staff or other doctors — even the janitors are trained, just in case they see or hear something.  Suicide prevention is one of the top priorities.

4) If we’re going to ban people who are disproportionally more likely to commit suicide, we’re going to have to ban poor people from serving.  And as someone who used to be homeless, served my country, and then used my VA benefits and veteran status to get a free education and then a job making six figures per year, I would have been much more likely to commit suicide if I hadn’t been able to grab the lifeline that the military represents to people like me — an opportunity to earn a much better life.  Trans people deserve that same opportunity that every other American gets.

5) If we’re going to ban people who are disproportionally more likely to commit suicide; part two: we are also going to have to ban all men.

6) One leading cause of suicide is a feeling that you do not “belong”.  Serving in the military gives you a sense of camaraderie that overcomes that.  While PTSD is certainly to blame for many suicides, so too is the sense of losing that feeling of belonging that the military had provided them — suicides certainly happen in the military, but the overwhelming number of suicides that occur happen after someone LEAVES the military.  That sense of belonging and purpose that they received in the military is gone. So the answer is not to keep people with a higher % of suicides out of the military.  The answer is to get them into the military (if that’s what they want, of course), and then find a way to keep that community going even after their military service is over.

7) If you are concerned about Trans suicides, and recognize that discrimination against them leads to much higher suicide rates — then why are you supporting discrimination against them?  Be part of the solution.

8: And, finally, to say that the US military is no place for diversity quotas is to not know your American Military history.  When he created the US Air Force in the 1950s, President Harry Truman ordered that it would be fully desegregated from day one.  Not only was the rest of the US military fully segregated at that time — so too was the majority of the rest of the civilian workforce.  But Truman understood that the only way to ever get to understanding people who might not look like us (which in turn would lead to fewer cases of lynchings and other horrific problems) was to get us to work together — and the only way to achieve that in the racist 1950s was to force it to happen, and the easiest way for the President to force something to happen is to order the military to do it as they cannot refuse.

Were there growing pains in the 1950s as a result? Of course.  But you push through it to create a better tomorrow — not just for minority rights and understanding, but also for the best possible military.  

My dad is a Veteran as well.  And when I left for basic training in 2004, my dad told me what to expect.  One of the things he told me was that on my first day, they would appoint one of the black guys...a new trainee, just like me...to be in charge of us.  And the purpose of that was to weed out any racists who could not take orders from a black person — the racists would be kicked to the curb.

I laughed — sure, that probably happened when he served in the early 1980, but this was 2004!  Surely such measures were no longer necessary, because such blatant racism no longer existed!

Sure enough, on the very first day of my training, the drill instructors put a black trainee in charge.

And sure enough, that revealed the racists — and sure enough, they were kicked out.

And sure enough, THAT was what made our military the best that it could be.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Productive, rational, and respectful discussion is something that is indeed rarer today and it's not often in online discourse in today's world that you change your mind or learn something new. But today I did both.

@Actinguy, I'll admit defeat here. You have clearly proved to be the more informed on this topic and have opened my eyes to a new world view. While I still don't think they should be in combat necessarily, your reasoning of the benefits that military service could provide to ANY disadvantaged person in today's society, and how I was supporting closing that off to an already disadvantaged people was an extremely strong point and one that I now agree with.

@ActinguyThank you for your insight and reasoning and thank you for your service. God bless.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I actually do understand that you’re trying to make a rational argument here, and I appreciate that as it’s a rarity on the internet.  But a few things to clarify, as an Iraq War Veteran myself.

1) “The VA” is actually something like 480 different hospitals across the country.  Some of them are, indeed, poorly run.  The one in Phoenix made national news a couple years ago for being shockingly bad.  But most of them are outstanding.  In Michigan, for example, the civilian hospitals got immediately overrun with COVID and it was the VA hospitals there who stepped up to save the day by “activating the fourth mission” — meaning that they stopped exclusively serving Veterans and began treating anyone who needed a hospital regardless of whether you served in the military, had insurance, or had any ability to pay.  The doctors, nurses, and staff did so at great personal risk to themselves — hundreds of them contracted COVID themselves, and dozens died from it — and received no extra income or other additional compensation.  They did it because it was the right thing to do.  So when you’re talking about how bad “the VA” is, you’re talking about maybe five bad apples and 475 heroes.

2) People in the military don’t actually use VA hospitals at all, except in rare cases.  VA hospitals are for Veterans — which is to say, people who are no longer in the military.  You don’t become a Veteran until you finish being in the military.  When you’re still in the military, you use the Department of Defense’s medical centers, which are completely separate from VA.

3) You’re absolutely right that suicide is a serious issue in the military.  Because of that, both the Department of Defense hospitals and the VA are extensively trained in suicide prevention.  And not just the mental health staff or other doctors — even the janitors are trained, just in case they see or hear something.  Suicide prevention is one of the top priorities.

4) If we’re going to ban people who are disproportionally more likely to commit suicide, we’re going to have to ban poor people from serving.  And as someone who used to be homeless, served my country, and then used my VA benefits and veteran status to get a free education and then a job making six figures per year, I would have been much more likely to commit suicide if I hadn’t been able to grab the lifeline that the military represents to people like me — an opportunity to earn a much better life.  Trans people deserve that same opportunity that every other American gets.

5) If we’re going to ban people who are disproportionally more likely to commit suicide; part two: we are also going to have to ban all men.

6) One leading cause of suicide is a feeling that you do not “belong”.  Serving in the military gives you a sense of camaraderie that overcomes that.  While PTSD is certainly to blame for many suicides, so too is the sense of losing that feeling of belonging that the military had provided them — suicides certainly happen in the military, but the overwhelming number of suicides that occur happen after someone LEAVES the military.  That sense of belonging and purpose that they received in the military is gone. So the answer is not to keep people with a higher % of suicides out of the military.  The answer is to get them into the military (if that’s what they want, of course), and then find a way to keep that community going even after their military service is over.

7) If you are concerned about Trans suicides, and recognize that discrimination against them leads to much higher suicide rates — then why are you supporting discrimination against them?  Be part of the solution.

8: And, finally, to say that the US military is no place for diversity quotas is to not know your American Military history.  When he created the US Air Force in the 1950s, President Harry Truman ordered that it would be fully desegregated from day one.  Not only was the rest of the US military fully segregated at that time — so too was the majority of the rest of the civilian workforce.  But Truman understood that the only way to ever get to understanding people who might not look like us (which in turn would lead to fewer cases of lynchings and other horrific problems) was to get us to work together — and the only way to achieve that in the racist 1950s was to force it to happen, and the easiest way for the President to force something to happen is to order the military to do it as they cannot refuse.

Were there growing pains in the 1950s as a result? Of course.  But you push through it to create a better tomorrow — not just for minority rights and understanding, but also for the best possible military.  

My dad is a Veteran as well.  And when I left for basic training in 2004, my dad told me what to expect.  One of the things he told me was that on my first day, they would appoint one of the black guys...a new trainee, just like me...to be in charge of us.  And the purpose of that was to weed out any racists who could not take orders from a black person — the racists would be kicked to the curb.

I laughed — sure, that probably happened when he served in the early 1980, but this was 2004!  Surely such measures were no longer necessary, because such blatant racism no longer existed!

Sure enough, on the very first day of my training, the drill instructors put a black trainee in charge.

And sure enough, that revealed the racists — and sure enough, they were kicked out.

And sure enough, THAT was what made our military the best that it could be.

Just curious as to what you think about them serving in combat roles?  Do you hold the same opinion for them performing administrative work that you would for serving in combat zones?