270soft Forum

What Would Be Your Platform if You Were the Pres Nominee in 2020?

vcczar

What Would Be Your Platform if You Were the Pres Nominee in 2020?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. DOMESTIC: Check all that would be part of your platform if you were a 2020 nominee.

• Police Departments should be abolished
    • Police Departments should be defunded
    • Police Departments should not be defunded
    • Police Departments should not only be protected but they should get more funding.
    • Assault weapons should be banned.
    • Assault weapons should not be banned.
    • The cash bail system should be abolished.
    • The cash bail system should be protected.
    • The death penalty should be abolished
    • The death penalty should be protected
    • Private prisons should be banned
    • Private prisons should be protected
    • DC should be given statehood
    • DC should not be given statehood
    • Confederate statues should be taken down
    • Confederate statues should be protected
    • Puerto Rico should be given statehood
    • Puerto Rico should not be given statehood
    • Marijuana should be legal nationwide
    • Marijuana should not be legal nationwide
    • We need a carbon tax to help reduce climate change
    • We do not need a carbon tax
    • We must move to 100% clean energy
    • We must not move to 100% clean energy
    • We should expand extraction of fossil fuels on public land
    • We should not expand extraction of fossil fuels on public land
    • Fracking should be abolished
    • Fracking should be protected
    • We should adopt something similar to the Green New Deal to combat climate change
    • We should not adopt something similar to the Green New Deal
    • LGBT couples should not be allowed to adopt children if an adoption agency wants to discriminate.
    • LGBT couples should be allowed to adopt children even if an adoption agency discriminates against LGBT couples
    • Employers should be allowed to discriminate against LGBT employees.
    • Employers should not be allowed to discriminate against LGBT employees.
    • A business should be allowed to deny services to LGBT, Muslims, etc., using religious freedoms laws?
    • A business should not be allowed to deny services to LGBT, Muslims, etc., using religious freedoms laws?
    • Transgender people should be allowed to serve in the military
    • Transgender people should not be allowed to serve in the military
    • The Supreme Court should be expanded to include more justices
    • The Supreme Court should not have the number of judges expanded
    • The Supreme Court justices should be term limited
    • The Supreme Court justices should not be term limited
    • The filibuster should be abolished from the legislative branch
    • The filibuster should not be abolished from the legislative branch
    • The nuclear option should be undone and abolished from ever happened in order to preserve bipartisanship. 60 votes for confirmations.
    • The nuclear option is the new normal and it is acceptable in a partisan age. A straight majority is all that should be needed for confirmations.
    • The powers of the Presidency and the executive branch should be expanded.
    • The powers of the Presidency and the executive branch should be maintained as they are.
    • The powers of the Presidency and the executive branch should be reduced.
  2. 2. Economics:

• The economy should "shut down" during a COVID-like pandemic if scientists strongly recommend it.
    • The economy should not "shut down" during a COVID-like pandemic, even if scientists strongly recommend it.
    • Descendants of slaves should receive reparations from the federal government.
    • Descendants of slaves should not receive reparations from the federal government.
    • Federal Taxes should be increased.
    • Federal Taxes should remain as they are.
    • Federal Taxes should be decreased
    • The minimum wage should be increased.
    • The minimum wage should not be increased.
    • We should implement Universal Basic Income
    • We should not implement Universal Basic Income
    • We should implement a Wealth Tax
    • We should not implement a Wealth Tax
    • Student loans should be forgiven
    • Student loans should not be forgiven
    • Public colleges should be tuition free
    • Public colleges should not be tuition free
    • Abortion Rights should be protected
    • Abortion Rights should be banned or greatly restricted.
    • We should have a Medicare for All Healthcare system or something much more universal than we have now.
    • We should just improve upon Obamacare
    • Obamacare should be dismantled and not replaced with a national healthcare system.
    • Americans should be allowed to import less expensive prescription drugs from other countries
    • Americans should not be allowed to import less expensive prescription drugs from other countries
    • US should regulate the prices of prescription drugs in the US to lower them
    • US should not force the lowering of prescription drug prices in the US
    • We should take drastic economic measures to reduce the national debt and other spending deficits.
    • The national debt and deficits clearly don't matter. It's much more important to invest in our country and our people at all costs. Spend. Spend. Spend.
  3. 3. Foreign Affairs/Military/Immigration

• We should maintain Trump's tariffs on China
    • We should not maintain Trump's tariffs on China
    • We should remove or ease sanctions on Cuba
    • We should maintain or increase sanctions on Cuba
    • We should re-enter the Iran Nuclear Deal
    • We should not re-enter the Iran Nuclear Deal
    • We should withdraw all remaining troops from the Middle East and Central Asia
    • We should not withdraw all remaining troops from the Middle East and Central Asia
    • We should increase the number of troops in the Middle East and Central Asia
    • We should decrease the defense budget
    • We should increase the defense budget
    • US should abolish DACA (Deferred Action of Childhood Arrivals)
    • US should protect DACA
    • Illegal border crossings should be decriminalized
    • Illegal border crossings should not be decriminalized.
    • Undocumented immigrants should have a pathway to citizenship
    • Undocumented immigrants should not have a pathway to citizenship
    • The US should ease any restrictions on the number of immigrants entering the country
    • The US should increase restrictions on the number of immigrants entering the country
    • America should have an aggressive foreign policy, even if it means interfering in other country's elections or governments.
    • America greatly reduce its interference in other country's affairs.
    • America should use their military pre-emptively to protect national interests, even if there is no real threat of invasion or nuclear attack.
    • America should refrain from using the military except in cases of national defense and/or humanitarian reasons (such to stop genocide).
  4. 4. Elections

• Election Day should be a national holiday
    • Election Day should not be a national holiday
    • The electoral college should be abolished
    • The electoral college should be protected
    • Former felons should be allowed to vote
    • Former felons should not be allowed to vote
    • US should expand vote-by-mail
    • US should not expand vote-by-mail
    • Voters should be required to show voter ID at the polling station.
    • Voters should not be required to show voter ID at the polling station.
    • Super Pacs should be abolished
    • Super Pacs should be protected
    • All candidates should release their taxes and the results of their mental and physical health screenings in order to run for office.
    • Candidates should be allowed to hide their taxes and the results of their mental and physical health screenings if they wish.
    • The country is better off after a Donald Trump presidency.
    • The country is worse off after a Donald Trump presidency.

There wasn’t a box for it, but we cannot steal children from their parents and keep them in squalor.

I’m all for keeping illegal immigration criminal — but If we cannot figure out a way to do that without becoming inhuman, then we do not have borders worth protecting and we should not bother.

We are not the United States of America when we abandon our humanity.

• Like 1

Hopefully people stop calling me conservative after answering this considering i'm actually more Libertarian.

Domestic
Police: More funding (but this should go to mental health treatments, bodycams, etc. police should also be demilitarized)
Assault Weapons: Not banned (all gun laws are unconstitutional)
Cash Bail: Protect
Death Penalty: Abolish
Private Prisons: Abolish (the only parts of the government I consider essential are courts, military, and police. Private citizens shouldn't have the authority to lock people up)
DC: No statehood. It's a city. Giving it electoral votes is already a stretch.
Puerto Rico: No statehood either
Confederate Statues: Don't take them down, most of them served in the US military in several wars, and joined the South because most of them hailed from the South. It's our history and heritage.
Marijuana: Legalized and taxed
Carbon Tax: Bad idea, no
Clean Energy: Yes, we must move to clean energy like nuclear, wind, solar, hydroelectric, and geothermal soon before resource scarcity happens.
Fossil Fuels: Expand, we are the leading exporter of oil in the world and we must continue to be until we become fully clean and renewable.
Fracking: Same as above
LGBT Adoption: Yes, allow it
LGBT Discrimination: No
Deny Service: Yes, it's a private business
Transgenders in the Military: No
Supreme Court: No expansion. That is too partisan and reactionary, and sets precedent for future Presidents that you don't like packing courts
SC Term Limits: No, reactionary.
Filibuster: It's an important part of our legislature, and banning it violates the first amendment. Protect it.
Nuclear Option: Too partisan. Undo it.
Executive Power: Maintain

Economics
COVID Shutdown: Oppose. The virus has a 99% recovery rate according to the CDC and a shutdown will hurt citizens more than a virus will.
Slave Reparations: No. Every race of people have enslaved people, and been slaves. If anyone should pay reparations it should be descendants of the African tribe leaders who sold blacks into slavery years ago.
Federal Taxes: Decrease, but only slightly. Mainly capital gains and property taxes. Inheritance tax could be raised and income tax could be more progressive. Corporate taxes should stay where they are but simplify the taxcode and remove all loopholes and most deductions.
Minimum Wage: Abolish. Normalize wage negotiation again.
Basic Income: Set one, but a low amount and have it replace social security.
Wealth Tax: Absolutely not. This is the worst idea out of all of these, and anyone who subscribes to it doesn't understand basic economics.
Student Loans: Not forgiven, we as a society encourage college too much when trades are just as legitimate a career, and that's why loans are increasing.
Abortion: Protected, even though i'm morally against it.
Obamacare: Dismantled
Import Prescriptions: Allow it
Regulate Prescriptions: Don't allow it, allowing the above should solve this problem. 
Debt: Take actions to decrease it (I'm personally in favor of freezing spending altogether until revenues catch up)

Foreign Affairs
China Tariffs: Don't maintain
Cuba Sanctions: END THE EMBARGO AND OPEN TRADE!! (though i'm kinda biased here)
Nuclear Deal: Don't re-enter it.
Troop Withdrawal: Definitely withdraw all troops from the Middle East and cease operations, but maintain our bases
Defense Budget: Selected both options because I wait to keep it where it is
DACA: Protect it
Border Crossings: Criminalize
Citizenship: Create a pathway for citizens already here
Immigrant Restrictions: Increase them, we're already the most popular place to immigrate to, so we want to make sure we're taking in the most skilled and valuable (refugees are an exception)
Interference: Reduce, this is why terrorist attacks happen
Military Use: Refrain unless defense

Elections
Election Day Holiday: Make it a holiday
Electoral College: Protected but REFORMED (proportional votes)
Felons: Allow to vote
Vote by Mail: Don't expand
Voter IDs: Require them, they wouldn't be expensive, and easy for any legal citizen to get.
Super PACs: Protect
Tax Returns: None of our business, I wouldn't release mine either
Country Better Off: Selected both because yes in some ways (economy, foreign affairs like North Korea, and the Middle East being relatively more peaceful) but worse in some ways (partisanship, civil unrest, though you could argue that increased activism and participation was a good thing). I'd give Trump a low C-, maybe a D+, but not an F.

Didn't answer whether public college should be free or not because I don't consider myself educated on the subject of college/university education. I didn't need to go there but I realize that isn't the case for everybody.

19 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I might end up doing something with our results from this poll. I'm assuming @Patine will object to taking this poll, and @admin_270 won't have the time to scan and respond. 

We could find out, who overlaps with whom the most or something like that.

45 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'd have to look them over actually. As I've said at some time before, being U.S. President is a thankless job where you end up have a lot of people hate through no ability of your own to stop, and you end up getting for a lot of things you really and truly have no power, and forced to make decisions between no (or more choices) no human of any moral fiber or integrity should ever have to make. If you look at the photos of U.S. Presidents entering, and then leaving office, it's like this supernatural aging from using dark occult powers in some horrors - you really get old faster than you should. I think William "Tecumseh," Sherman and Todd Robert Lincoln had a point. That being said, I will have a look over it after I've gone out and bought a coffee - as I realize, it's just a poll, and not a job offer. ;)

4 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Didn't answer whether public college should be free or not because I don't consider myself educated on the subject of college/university education. I didn't need to go there but I realize that isn't the case for everybody.

The idea is that free public college would allow more people to go to college and allow more people to go to college without being in considerable debt once they graduate. This might not be an issue for children from high-middle incomes or better or for children that major in something that pays well or is in high demand (usually goes hand in hand). However, a lot of necessary professions, such as teachers or social workers, get paid so little that they're paying off their debt for decades. 

I've been paying my student loans for 12 years. Unless it gets wiped out, I'll never pay it off. The interest is such that it goes up even as I make payments. Supposedly, an Obama rule allows my debt to be forgiven if I make it to 20 years with reliable payments. But I don't know if this Covid forebearance period will disrupt that and start me all over. 

The other thing with tuition costs is that a huge portion of that goes to the college president, sports coaches, and sports teams. They are run too similar to a business, which is good if that is what their purpose is. If tuition is free, and they aren't profit seeking institutions (even if they aren't for profit colleges), then theoretically the focus will be on education rather than on sports or president salaries. 

Obviously, the objection is "How do the universities get funding for equipment, research, etc." That's a valid objection. I think we just cut defense spending and transfer it over. I also think the standards of the education needs to be increased and more practical if tuition is erased. Not everyone needs to have a "practical" major (they all have merit), but they need to be taught in a way that all majors can be applied practically and successfully. I also think there should be more of a focus on helping students find post-college jobs. It's kind of lazy how it is done. The colleges should have some incentive in actively getting their students and alumni employed without it being 100% on the student, many of whom have no clue about the real world. 

I'd have a lot of fun if I were a Sec of Education with a lot of discretion on what I could do.

35 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The idea is that free public college would allow more people to go to college and allow more people to go to college without being in considerable debt once they graduate. This might not be an issue for children from high-middle incomes or better or for children that major in something that pays well or is in high demand (usually goes hand in hand). However, a lot of necessary professions, such as teachers or social workers, get paid so little that they're paying off their debt for decades. 

I've been paying my student loans for 12 years. Unless it gets wiped out, I'll never pay it off. The interest is such that it goes up even as I make payments. Supposedly, an Obama rule allows my debt to be forgiven if I make it to 20 years with reliable payments. But I don't know if this Covid forebearance period will disrupt that and start me all over. 

The other thing with tuition costs is that a huge portion of that goes to the college president, sports coaches, and sports teams. They are run too similar to a business, which is good if that is what their purpose is. If tuition is free, and they aren't profit seeking institutions (even if they aren't for profit colleges), then theoretically the focus will be on education rather than on sports or president salaries. 

Obviously, the objection is "How do the universities get funding for equipment, research, etc." That's a valid objection. I think we just cut defense spending and transfer it over. I also think the standards of the education needs to be increased and more practical if tuition is erased. Not everyone needs to have a "practical" major (they all have merit), but they need to be taught in a way that all majors can be applied practically and successfully. I also think there should be more of a focus on helping students find post-college jobs. It's kind of lazy how it is done. The colleges should have some incentive in actively getting their students and alumni employed without it being 100% on the student, many of whom have no clue about the real world. 

I'd have a lot of fun if I were a Sec of Education with a lot of discretion on what I could do.

I went to college for free — in fact, I got paid a salary to go to college full time.

The post 9/11 GI Bill completely changed my life.

Im torn on whether school should be free for all.  On the one hand, school is already 100% free for anyone who is willing to serve their country for a few years.  Making it free for everyone in exchange for nothing makes less sense in that context.

On the other hand, a severely uneducated population is how we ended up with Donald Trump in the White House.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

On the one hand, school is already 100% free for anyone who is willing to serve their country for a few years.  Making it free for everyone in exchange for nothing makes less sense in that context.

Thank you there, Robert E. Heinlein or Roman Emperor Titus. :P

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I went to college for free — in fact, I got paid a salary to go to college full time.

The post 9/11 GI Bill completely changed my life.

Im torn on whether school should be free for all.  On the one hand, school is already 100% free for anyone who is willing to serve their country for a few years.  Making it free for everyone in exchange for nothing makes less sense in that context.

On the other hand, a severely uneducated population is how we ended up with Donald Trump in the White House.

Maybe there can be other exchanges other than military service. 

although, I think it benefits the nation to have a better educated electorate. People might believe scientists and medical experts. 

Just now, vcczar said:

Maybe there can be other exchanges other than military service. 

although, I think it benefits the nation to have a better educated electorate. People might believe scientists and medical experts. 

There are, in certain in-demand fields.  My wife is a nurse.  She also went to school for free — her employer paid for her education, in exchange she agreed to work for them for a certain number of years after graduation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I might do something with this tomorrow. Want to see if anyone else wants to take it first. 

Before I start, one question. I see right away two issues on domestic that I would probably approach a bit differently (and there are probably a few others), such as giving DC fully Congressional representation as though it were a State, but keeping it a Federal Capital District otherwise (like Mexico City, Brasilia, and Buenos Aires have as their status in Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina, and their Federal systems), and I would probably grant Puerto Rico full independence as sovereign nation. This question isn't to annoy you, or be deliberately contrarian, but is a serious inquiry, because I may actually tackle it this evening, if you have some basic suggestion of what to do here in this regard. As I said, it doesn't look like ALL the issues will end like that with me, either.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

Before I start, one question. I see right away two issues on domestic that I would probably approach a bit differently (and there are probably a few others), such as giving DC fully Congressional representation as though it were a State, but keeping it a Federal Capital District otherwise (like Mexico City, Brasilia, and Buenos Aires have as their status in Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina, and their Federal systems), and I would probably grant Puerto Rico full independence as sovereign nation. This question isn't to annoy you, or be deliberately contrarian, but is a serious inquiry, because I may actually tackle it this evening, if you have some basic suggestion of what to do here in this regard. As I said, it doesn't look like ALL the issues will end like that with me, either.

Just pick whichever seems closest. You've clarified yourself down here. For those question think this: How would you vote if you there was a bill for DC statehood (which would probably keep it as the nation's capital, but now as a state instead of a federal district.. How would you vote if a bill called for Puerto Rico statehood. 

On 9/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, vcczar said:

new poll. 

Just did the poll. Some clarifications that couldn't be made by checking squares:

-Police should not be defunded, but stricter regulations and codes of conduct, third party monitoring, and far accountability (including criminal consequences) for their actions on duty needs to be implemented.

-I mentioned above my opinions on DC and Puerto Rico.

-I believe a carbon tax is counter-productive and non-useful in the long-term, but another measure to cut down emissions would be desirable.

-Federal taxes should be made sane and balanced, and the wealthy and big corporations should pay their fair share.

-My opinions on abortion rights are very nuanced, not the absolutes pushed by the two relevant adversarial lobbies.

-I have no strong opinion on Transpeople serving in the military either way.

-I chose none of the Supreme Court options, because those aren't the things that need to reformed. It's partisan and ideologically biased justices deliberately appointed for that purpose that has to end.

-I chose no option on the Presidency, because I believe the office of a singular, apex chief executive in one person has been a failure, and is a Medieval throwback of a concept. I think the model of Switzerland's Federal Council, a collective head-of-state office in a decentralized committee, where each member comes from a large, general region of the country (New England, the Mid-Atlantic, the Southeast, the Southwest, the Pacific Coast, the Midwest, what have you).

-Reparations to the descendants, while noble sounding, is a slippery slope to chaos, in the long-term, if that precedent is set and that can of worms opened.

-I have no clue how to deal with the national debt. I admit it.

-I'm not sure much good, at this point, will come of EITHER a nuclear deal with Iran, or melodramatically storming out of it in a huff.

-I am unclear on the clauses contained within DACA, so haven't answered at this time.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Just did the poll. Some clarifications that couldn't be made by checking squares:

-Police should not be defunded, but stricter regulations and codes of conduct, third party monitoring, and far accountability (including criminal consequences) for their actions on duty needs to be implemented.

-I mentioned above my opinions on DC and Puerto Rico.

-I believe a carbon tax is counter-productive and non-useful in the long-term, but another measure to cut down emissions would be desirable.

-Federal taxes should be made sane and balanced, and the wealthy and big corporations should pay their fair share.

-My opinions on abortion rights are very nuanced, not the absolutes pushed by the two relevant adversarial lobbies.

-I have no strong opinion on Transpeople serving in the military either way.

-I chose none of the Supreme Court options, because those aren't the things that need to reformed. It's partisan and ideologically biased justices deliberately appointed for that purpose that has to end.

-I chose no option on the Presidency, because I believe the office of a singular, apex chief executive in one person has been a failure, and is a Medieval throwback of a concept. I think the model of Switzerland's Federal Council, a collective head-of-state office in a decentralized committee, where each member comes from a large, general region of the country (New England, the Mid-Atlantic, the Southeast, the Southwest, the Pacific Coast, the Midwest, what have you).

-Reparations to the descendants, while noble sounding, is a slippery slope to chaos, in the long-term, if that precedent is set and that can of worms opened.

-I have no clue how to deal with the national debt. I admit it.

-I'm not sure much good, at this point, will come of EITHER a nuclear deal with Iran, or melodramatically storming out of it in a huff.

-I am unclear on the clauses contained within DACA, so haven't answered at this time.

k, might not calculate you and any other new people for a few days. 

16 hours ago, Centrist Emperor Kerzaris said:

Who voted to deny trans people to serve in the military? 

I'm not hurting you. I just wanna talk :)

I did. Gender dysphoria is a mental illness like any other and our servicemen have high enough suicide rates. We need to take in only people who are emotionally prepared to be a soldier and face combat, even for non-combat roles.

I don't have a problem with trans individuals outside of the military, as long as it doesn't affect me in any way (which it doesn't, currently), I just don't want people mentally unsound in the greatest and biggest military in the world. We live in a world with the highest amount of social tolerance in history. The fact that transgender suicide and self-harm rates are still exceptionally higher than other mental illnesses and the fact that our VA healthcare system sucks ass and mentally ill people need good healthcare are more reasons why I disapprove.

According to the UCLA over 5% of trans people who have NOT been discriminated against still attempt suicide, which raises to 51% after 4 or more discrimination experiences. That's not normal.

Not even regarding any of that, we have no problem finding people to enlist currently. The purpose of a military is to be strong defenders of a nation in direct combat. The military is no place for diversity quotas - each quota reduces the maximum talent that our armed forces can have. War isn't a happy place, I don't think a trans person could handle that kind of stress.

• Upvote 1