270soft Forum

2020 Election: Utah

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75 @Mark_W

Despite a notable number of anti-Trump Republicans in UT, this state will go Red. 

Here's how Dem nominees have done in the 21st century. The relative success of Clinton stems more from opposition to Trump. Obama's 2012 #s reflection that the GOP had a Mormon candidate. Yet, surprisingly 2012 was similar to 2000 and 2004. I'm very uncertain how Biden will do, but I surmise he won't do as well as Clinton without McMullin also running 3rd party in 2020.:

image.png.06f826d33f0e07a5d95ffb6c8c964df3.png image.png.5593c6503a29880dc8a1cfbaf97965fd.png image.png.b40531277d36f873d68e313d432bff46.png image.png.679554281bb5372ba301ce4d4c4f8489.png image.png.c4cb44c7e1bcd9bf0c0e507525b2287f.png image.png.e655f3a531aea8d6e7966403a510dd66.png
Salt Lake ? 9 -21 0 -22 -21
Utah ? -37 -78 -59 -74 -68
Davis ? -24 -62 -43 -60 -52
Weber ? -20 -45 -28 -43 -31
Washington ? -52 -68 -53 -64 -62
UT Totals ? -19 -48 -28 -46 -41

Here's who people from UT have supported for Pres, Gov, Sen, Reps since 2008. Darker the color, the more support. Almost all red. Reaction to Obama temporarily killed Democrats in this state; reaction to Trump brought them back to life. Who knows how long McAdams will last. He's polling +4 against his opponent in the last poll for this election. Romney is one of the last politicians to switch states and win office (MA Gov and UT Sen). Scott Brown attempted it (MA to NH). This was much more common in the 19th century when states were being added. There's at least one Senator who served as Senator of three different states, moving to each one to expand his influence on US history no doubt. James Shields. Every heard of him? Senator of IL, then MN, then MO. He grew up in OH but was born in Ireland.:

2008 2010 2012 2014 2016 2018
McCain McCain Romney Romney Trump Trump
Huntsman Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert Herbert
Hatch Hatch Hatch Hatch Hatch Romney
Bennett Lee Lee Lee Lee Lee
Bishop Bishop Bishop Bishop Bishop Bishop
Matheson Matheson Stewart Stewart Stewart Stewart
Chaffetz Chaffetz Chaffetz Chaffetz Chaffetz Curtis
n/a n/a Matheson Love Love McAdams

• Upvote 2

I think the many religious anti-Trump Republicans in Utah will reconcile with him after the announcement of Coney Barrett yesterday.

2 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I think the many religious anti-Trump Republicans in Utah will reconcile with him after the announcement of Coney Barrett yesterday.

I'm not sure if this will be the case. Trump is still a repugnant man to anyone who holds any moral values dear. Biden is too, but the evils of the U.S. Political Establishment seem more invisible and somehow more taken for granted by Americans (one day, Americans, if they truly value their nation and any real justice and integrity within, should one day take the Establishment to task for their institutional state-level crimes of awe-inspiring calibre - and on the taxpayers' money, and seditiously declaring it crime for the TAXPAYER to know the details of these crimes on their dime, or to scrutinize the tax expenditures to them - but I digress). The fact is, that other than Conservative voters like @Reagan04 and others scattered across the nation, the Conservative voters in Utah have most solidly stood against Trump because in one State more notably than in any other (though I'm not of the belief that a former CIA terrorist - err, excuse me, agent - running as an Independent to try to clinch Utah's Electoral Votes was much a much better choice for integrity). In fact, no Conservative voter in the U.S. who actually followed their and lived up to their purported beliefs should vote for Donald Trump, or should have in 2016. The party nomination caused most of them too - which shows yet another critical and tragic flaw in the broken two-party system of the U.S. The fact is - and here's a shocker, probably for you, certainly, @Conservative Elector 2 - Donald Trump is, personally, himself, the LEAST socially and fiscally Conservative U.S. President in the nation's history. He is amoral, flamboyant, irreverent, has multiple marriages AND has, before his Presidency - boasted PUBLICLY about extra-marital "sexual conquests," he uses disgusting derogative demographic epithets fairly freely, which no U.S. President since Nixon has done (even if Trump and Nixon use different slurs from each other), he is unique among all U.S. Presidents for not having a strong tie to a religious community (even Jefferson and Lincoln, who were widely believed to be Deists, also maintained strong church congregation ties as well) - in fact, Trump made light of "paying for salvation," when he donated to an Evangelical group for an endorsement during the 2016 U.S. Presidential election campaign - and it's often forgotten he did not campaign on any real or motive Conservative planks in 2016, and has only thrown a few bones to Conservatives since (like this Roman Rota theocratic proposed judge who has no place on the highest court of a nation that values freedom of religion and conscience as inalienable rights). His fiscal policy (notably trade) WAS Conservative in the U.S. - in the first half of the 20th Century. But since the '50's, free trade is right-wing American trade policy, and protectionism is a Labour Union plank,, and thus strongly tied to left-wing economics. In fact, Biden is also more Socially and Fiscally Conservative, himself, than Trump. Pence was meant to be there to "draw in Conservative votes," but he's just as do-nothing, inactive, and "for show," as Dan Quayle was. Frankly, any American Conservative voting for Trump is betraying the values and convictions they hold so dear - even if he hijacked the Republican nomination. And, despite many fiery disagreements with him - often around his Conservative viewpoints - I'm quite impressed that @Reagan04 can see this. I only wish you could, too. But perhaps Vienna REALLY is farther away from Washington than you admit to. Edmonton's not nearly as far, and we get a LOT of American media overspill.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Donald Trump is, personally, himself, the LEAST socially and fiscally Conservative U.S. President in the nation's history.

I don't want to argue on this, but certainly he still delivers strongly for the movement on the whole (Coney Barrett or Gorsuch for example). A Democratic president had not done a quarter of what Trump did, so it's definitely a gain if you choose a non-conservative who delivers for your movement like most of the time over a non-conservative who enables another movement's agenda and perhaps 5% of your own agenda. 

2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I don't want to argue on this, but certainly he still delivers strongly for the movement on the whole (Coney Barrett or Gorsuch for example). A Democratic president had not done a quarter of what Trump did, so it's definitely a gain if you choose a non-conservative who delivers for your movement like most of the time over a non-conservative who enables another movement's agenda and perhaps 5% of your own agenda. 

What are you assuming a Democratic wouldn't have done? Also, please stop touting the appointment of shameless partisan judges as an achievement. Judges chosen for ideology or partisan patronage and spoils appointments have long compromised the integrity and credibility of the U.S. Supreme Court, and potentially calls into question EVERY SINGLE ruling for possible undue bias. It is a continuous miscarriage of justice that should be ended - not proudly carried on for disgusting, shameless, and morally bankrupt election campaigns. And you tried the ploy of saying justices not chosen for partisan bias would have nothing but "random rulings." But that is garbage. In fact, it's flimsy garbage, like used toilet paper as garbage. And I fully believe you know that as well as I do. So, since you've pointed out yet another repugnant, disgusting, and shameless corrupt power-trip, stunt, and disingenuous ploy by Trump by his Supreme Court nomination -further eroding the credibility and integrity of that institution, and boisterously congratulating himself for it - and there are many just loathsome acts he's done to point - but what was he actually done that's GOOD, ADMIRABLE, WORTH VOTING FOR OR SUPPORTING? You still have yet to tell me this part.