270soft Forum

How long does it take a state to realign

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75 @Mark_W

Finished KS. Here's an example of a state that hasn't realigned anytime soon. It's basically as Republican in 2020 as it has been anytime since 1960 or before. Nevertheless, here are my notes:

• 1962: Redistricting wipes out last major Democrat holding office in KS.
  • 1964: LBJ becomes first Dem to win KS in 32 years (since FDR in 1932) in reaction to Goldwater. Despite this, GOP holds every major seat in KS. It will never vote for a Dem president again. 
  • 1966: Gov. Docking becomes first major KS Dem in 6 years. 
  • 1994: Gingrich Rev wipes out Dems from KS.
  • 1998: Dems gain 1 US Rep. 
  • 2006: Reaction to Bush and his wars sees Dems rise to three major KS seats (Gov and 2 US Reps), but they are still a weak minority.
  • 2010: Reaction to Obamacare wipes out Dems from KS. 
  • 2018: Blue wave reaction to Trump sees Dems reemerge as the take the Gov office and 1 US Rep.

Overall, almost a futile existence for Democrats. They've been wiped out three times since 1960 and were never close to splitting power.

• Upvote 1

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75 @Mark_W

Finished KY. I dedicate this one to @jvikings1. The realignment here is a little clearer. 

• 1960: State votes Nixon and has two GOP Senators, but all but 1 US Rep are Dems
  • 1966-1972: Reaction to LBJ and the wars sees the major offices equally split between Dems and GOP
  • 1974: Watergate causes the GOP party to collapse into the minority party until Gingrich. Both US Senators are now Dems and Dems will control the governorship for 36 years! *Mini-realignment*
  • 1984: McConnell becomes the first GOP senator in almost 20 years. If not for the Reagan landslide, he probably wouldn't have won as the election is close.
  • 1996: Gingrich Revolution sees the GOP minority surge to a dominant majority. GOP will remain dominant hereafter *REALIGNMENT*

Here are my notes after realignment:

• 1998: GOP now controls both US Senators, which is still the case as of this post.
  • 2004: Fletcher becomes the first GOP Gov in 36 years!
  • 2008: Dems up to a post-Gingrich era high of 3 major KY offices in Obama surge.
  • 2016: Trump friendly state sees Dems reduces to 1 officeholder (a US Rep)
  • 2019: Scandalous Gov. Bevin sees a Dem take the governorship in what is clearly Trump country.
  • Upvote 2

Will tag @admin_270 since he seems to react to these the most. The main realigning elections seem to be:

• Gingrich Revolution (1994-1998) for GOP
  • Reaction to Obamacare (2010-2014) for GOP
  • Reaction to Bush and/or Obama surge (2006-2008) for Dems

Other elections that seem to be a state in a realignment or a head fake of a realignment are:

• Reaction to Goldwater (1964)
  • Reaction to LBJ and/or Vietnam War (1966-1968)
  • Reaction to Watergate (1974-1976)
  • Reagan Revolution (1980-1988)

Lastly, this one is too soon to see if it is group 1 or group 2:

• Blue Wave reaction to Trump (2018-2020). I'm assuming 2020 will show a continuations of 2018. 

Still got about half the states to go through.

• Upvote 1

Here's MA. They realigned earlier than many states. Here goes:

• 1958: Dems slightly barely dominant; GOP will never regain dominance, but will be competitive for state power for a little longer. 
  • 1972-1974: Reaction to Watergate sees Democrats paramount to the present. *REALIGNMENT*

Here are my notes for post-alignment:

• 1980: Vote for Reagan marks first time state votes GOP in 24 years.
  • 1990: Bill Weld is first GOP Gov in 20 years.
  • 1996: GOP wiped out permanently from the US House in the state. Reaction to Gingrich Rev.
  • 2006: Reaction to Bush Wars sees GOP completely wiped out from the major offices.
  • 2010: GOP holds a seat briefly (for 2 years) when Scott Brown wins a special election.
  • 2014: Gov. Charlie Baker is the sole major GOP office holder in the state for years.
  • Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here's MA. They realigned earlier than many states. Here goes:

• 1958: Dems slightly barely dominant; GOP will never regain dominance, but will be competitive for state power for a little longer. 
  • 1972-1974: Reaction to Watergate sees Democrats paramount to the present. *REALIGNMENT*

Here are my notes for post-alignment:

• 1980: Vote for Reagan marks first time state votes GOP in 24 years.
  • 1990: Bill Weld is first GOP Gov in 20 years.
  • 1996: GOP wiped out permanently from the US House in the state. Reaction to Gingrich Rev.
  • 2006: Reaction to Bush Wars sees GOP completely wiped out from the major offices.
  • 2010: GOP holds a seat briefly (for 2 years) when Scott Brown wins a special election.
  • 2014: Gov. Charlie Baker is the sole major GOP office holder in the state for years.

Until I saw Charlie Baker, I was struggling to figure out if this was Massachusetts or Montana. I'm afraid I find the two-letter abbreviations for the U.S. State that start with "M" collectively quite counter-intuitive, and I've known quite a few other non-Americans who've commented on that idiosyncracy.

50 minutes ago, Patine said:

Until I saw Charlie Baker, I was struggling to figure out if this was Massachusetts or Montana. I'm afraid I find the two-letter abbreviations for the U.S. State that start with "M" collectively quite counter-intuitive, and I've known quite a few other non-Americans who've commented on that idiosyncracy.

It's intuitive for an American. I knew all of these when I was in elementary school. 

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, vcczar said:

It's intuitive for an American. I knew all of these when I was in elementary school. 

Yeah Americans learn these early on, everyone knows the postal abbreviations.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yeah Americans learn these early on, everyone knows the postal abbreviations.

It also helped that my favorite puzzle--possibly my first puzzle--was a puzzle of all the states of the United States. I knew where all the states were by the time I was 5. I still associate them with the color of their puzzle piece. Only AK and HI didn't have pieces. New England was just one piece on its own--choking hazard otherwise. I'm sure DE was probably attached to PA or something. 

Here's MS. They have a much more delayed realignment than AL.

Here's their story:

• 1948: State opts to support racist Strom Thurmond as a 3rd party candidate rather than support the Dem or GOP ticket.
  • 1960: State throws unpledged electors as IND Byrd rather than give them to Catholic JFK.
  • 1964: Civil Rights Act sees MS vote GOP for pres for first time since Reconstruction. They also gain their first GOP US Rep since Reconstruction, but he loses his seat two years later.
  • 1968: State votes for Wallace rather than the Dem or GOP ticket.
  • 1972: Nixon landslide sees GOP gain 2 US Reps
  • 1976: Votes Dem for Pres for the first time in 20 years.
  • 1978: Cochran becomes first GOP US Senator since Reconstruction
  • 1980: State votes for Reagan and never votes Democrat for president again.
  • 1988: GOP now controls both US Senators
  • 1990: Dems control every US House member for first time in 20 years.
  • 1992: First GOP Gov since Reconstruction
  • 1994-1996: Gingrich Revolution sees GOP leading Dems in the state for the first time since Reconstruction.
  • 2000: Dems wins the governorship and split the state politically.
  • 2002: Loss of US Rep seat due to the census + redistricting sees Democrats reduced to powerless minority permanently *REALIGNMENT*

Most of the other Deep South states seemed to have realigned almost 10 years earlier than MS. Here are my notes for post-realignment:

• 2008: Obama surge sees Dems control most of the US Reps in the state, although they are still in the minority overall.
  • 2010: Reaction to Obamacare sees Dems down to only one officeholder, which is where they are currently. 
On 9/29/2020 at 3:52 AM, vcczar said:

Arizona realignment, which is harder to determine. For @TheLiberalKitten:

• 1960 (my start date): State is already heavily GOP and has been since FDR, so arguably AZ realignment is with Eisenhower.
  • 1964: State rebels against their own statesman Goldwater by seeing a surge of Democrats win elections, despite Goldwater winning the state in the presidential election. Democrats have a two year period of dominance.
  • 1966: GOP dominance restored, likely a reaction to LBJ and the war.
  • 1976: Watergate and Carter candidacy sees AZ become a split state for the Carter years.
  • 1980-1986: Reagan Revolution sees state return to heavy GOP.
  • 1992: Clinton candidacy nearly splits the state but falls short.
  • 1994: Gingrich Revolution exterminates all major Dem offices, except for one US Rep.
  • 2002: Napolitano is first Dem Gov in 20 years.
  • 2006: Reaction to Bush wars sees Dems get close to splitting AZ
  • 2008: Obama surge sees Dems out influence Dems in state for the first time, despite McCain having won his own state in the pres election. This marks the 2nd time that an AZ pres nominee has actually hurt his party in the state.
  • 2010: Reaction to Obamacare wipes out all gains from Obama's 2008 surge.
  • 2018: Reaction to Trump sees the state Federal Officers + Gov split evenly between Dems and Pres. First Dem senator elected in 30 years (since 1988)

In short, the realignment occurs post-FDR as the state seems to have accepted the New Deal and FDR for Depression and War Time reasons, but seemed to have left the party as these progressive measures continued. It's been mostly consistently red with very brief 2-year periods of rebellion. However, the fact that they are on the verge of getting two Senators might mean the reaction to Trump is going to realign the state, although this is helped with the state swiftly increasing in population. Cities like Democrats. Phoenix is growing fast.

For me 2 many things have made Arizona switch

1st the hispanic and latino voters yes but mainly the second point :

2nd the disgust of Arizona Republicans toward what the Republican party has become since these last years and even more under Trump

Without the 2nd, Arizona would be like Texas currently, tossup but not in the lean dem column

It is a bit of what you already say but the 2nd point is the flipping point to me

The problem for the republicans is that many parts of the party are now fully opposed to this Trump era, the ones from Pen, Michigan, Maryland, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Virginia or Arizona and maybe even Alaska, they can not be okay with the Trump rethoric.

It's a bit of the same with Utah but in Utah they are way too much conservative to switch to the democrats because of Trump. 

3 hours ago, Edouard said:

For me 2 many things have made Arizona switch

1st the hispanic and latino voters yes but mainly the second point :

2nd the disgust of Arizona Republicans toward what the Republican party has become since these last years and even more under Trump

Without the 2nd, Arizona would be like Texas currently, tossup but not in the lean dem column

It is a bit of what you already say but the 2nd point is the flipping point to me

The problem for the republicans is that many parts of the party are now fully opposed to this Trump era, the ones from Pen, Michigan, Maryland, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Virginia or Arizona and maybe even Alaska, they can not be okay with the Trump rethoric.

It's a bit of the same with Utah but in Utah they are way too much conservative to switch to the democrats because of Trump. 

Hispanics and Latinos have always been very numerous in AZ though. What's new about them you think?

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Hispanics and Latinos have always been very numerous in AZ though. What's new about them you think?

Joe Arpaio likely turned the voting trends of a lot of Hispanic Republicans against the party.

Finished MO. One of the latest states to realign. However, it's really too soon to say if they really did, but I think it is likely. Here's the path:

• 1960: GOP gains 2nd US Rep in a state dominated by Truman Democrats
  • 1972: First GOP gov elected in 32 years
  • 1976: Elects first GOP US Senator in generations
  • 1980-1988: Reagan Revolution -- GOP gradually leads the state and controls both Senators
  • 1992-2000: Clinton/Gingrich years sees Democrats and GOP splitting the state, with party influence going back and forth.
  • 2000-2002: State votes for Bush and never votes Democrat again, Bush years sees GOP take slight lead
  • 2008: Obama surge sees Dems once again split the state.
  • 2010: Reaction to Obamacare sees GOP take command of the major offices from which Democrats have never recovered *Realignment*

As stated, it's really too soon to say if a realignment has occurred. I'd say, at least 25 years of straight clear party control (with maybe one random 2-year period of a split) marks an alignment.  GOP would have to hold this solid lead until 2035 for it to "count."

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Joe Arpaio likely turned the voting trends of a lot of Hispanic Republicans against the party.

He's a sheriff of a very local area. He isn't even a statewide figure, even though he ran for statewide office. I would say he may have contributed to a change, but not any more than that. I really think the leading factor in realignment is actually population increase and decrease and industrial rise and industrial decline. Decrease and decline creates a nostalgia -- they go to the GOP. Increase and industrial progress generally moves towards Democrats. There are a few exceptions. For instance, NC and FL are arguably more Republican despite being hot spot states, whereas NY is an example of a declining state that is more Democrat than before. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

He's a sheriff of a very local area. He isn't even a statewide figure, even though he ran for statewide office. I would say he may have contributed to a change, but not any more than that. I really think the leading factor in realignment is actually population increase and decrease and industrial rise and industrial decline. Decrease and decline creates a nostalgia -- they go to the GOP. Increase and industrial progress generally moves towards Democrats. There are a few exceptions. For instance, NC and FL are arguably more Republican despite being hot spot states, whereas NY is an example of a declining state that is more Democrat than before. 

You’re actually wrong here. For all intents and purposes Joe is a statewide official. He was by no means Sheriff of a “very local area”. He was Sheriff if Maricopa County which is 61% of all Arizonans. Not to mention how his infamous policing tactics against undocumented immigrants became renowned throughout the state. Reviled or revered, Arpaio was a household name in Arizona long before his Senate bid. This was certainly part of it.

I would argue, however, that the greatest driver of Arizona’s bluening hue is Donald Trumps pure hatred, disdain, and disrespect for John McCain. McCain was Mr. Republican of Arizona. Trumps pure bile spewed at him has rapidly divorced many former Arizona Republicans from the party. This is why I expect Joe to carry the state. The legacy of McCain and his family lives on after his passing.

16 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

You’re actually wrong here. For all intents and purposes Joe is a statewide official. He was by no means Sheriff of a “very local area”. He was Sheriff if Maricopa County which is 61% of all Arizonans. Not to mention how his infamous policing tactics against undocumented immigrants became renowned throughout the state. Reviled or revered, Arpaio was a household name in Arizona long before his Senate bid. This was certainly part of it.

I would argue, however, that the greatest driver of Arizona’s bluening hue is Donald Trumps pure hatred, disdain, and disrespect for John McCain. McCain was Mr. Republican of Arizona. Trumps pure bile spewed at him has rapidly divorced many former Arizona Republicans from the party. This is why I expect Joe to carry the state. The legacy of McCain and his family lives on after his passing.

Good point on the 61%. I was factoring boundaries rather than population, but you bring the stronger point. I also agree with you on the McCain-Trump feud as a big driver; however, I think the fact that AZ is one of the fastest--if not the fastest--growing state is even a larger factor.

13 minutes ago, anti-trump said:

@vcczar Can you do NY?

I'm going alphabetical as get through them. I'm skipping states that have zero realignment. If NYC is clearly Democrat in 1960 through 2020, then it might not be placed up here, but considering Rockefeller was a major figure there in the 1960s, maybe there's a chance it will. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I'm going alphabetical as get through them. I'm skipping states that have zero realignment. If NYC is clearly Democrat in 1960 through 2020, then it might not be placed up here, but considering Rockefeller was a major figure there in the 1960s, maybe there's a chance it will. 

NY is more than NYC. IIRC into the 70s Queens was republican.

15 minutes ago, anti-trump said:

NY is more than NYC. IIRC into the 70s Queens was republican.

I meant just NY. When I was typing it I was thinking about when I lived in NYC for 5 years. That was a typo. 

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

First the decline of non-white latinos in Arizona

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Arizona

There is a rapid switch in demographics in Arizona

But it does not explain everything, because John McCain got a landslide in 2016

The Trump 'purge" of the Republican senators from Arizona to appoint McSally definitively broke the republican coalition in the state.

For example Jeff Flakes supports Biden

And it's the same for the McCain family

Those two events (more latinos and the Trump "purge" of rebels among Rrepublican senators) played a key role in switching Arizona

Finished NH. One can make the argument that it has/hasn't realigned, but make the case yourself with the below. 

• 1960: GOP controls every major office as is typical for post-Civil War New Hampshire. 
  • 1962: First Dem Gov since 1922 (40 years!)
  • 1964: LBJ is the first Dem to win NH in Pres election in 20 years. 
  • 1966: First Dem Senator in 34 years. 
  • 1974: Reaction to Watergate sees Dems with more office holders than GOP, probably for the first time since before the Civil War (haven't gotten that far back yet, but it's likely)
  • 1980-1984: Reagan Revolution: GOP takes back over and completely wipes out Dems by 1984.
  • 1990: Dems get a US House seat, their first major office in 8 years.
  • 1992: Clinton is first Dem nom to win NH since LBJ
  • 1994: Gingrich Rev wiped out Dems again. 
  • 1996: Dems take Gov seat
  • 2002: Dems wiped out again.
  • 2006: Reaction to Bush Wars sees Dems in charge with the most major offices, a lead they still hold today 
  • 2010: Reaction to Obamacare sees GOP back on top (if this is just a fluke election then realignment can be said to have been 2006)
  • 2012: Obama reelection sees GOP knocked down to only 1 officeholder. GOP has only had 1 officeholder since after every election year.
  • Upvote 1

NM is done. This one is interesting.

• 1960: GOP's gains governorship, their sole major office holder
  • 1962: GOP wiped out in the midterms.
  • 1966: GOP returns as they gain governorship. 
  • 1968: GOP on top of Dems as state strongly support Nixon.
  • 1970-1978: Tug of war between parties to lead the state.
  • 1980: Reagan Revolution almost wipes out Dems, who barely hang on to one office.
  • 1982-1990: Reagan Recession in 1982 leads to another tug of war between the parties in the next elections.
  • 1992: Clinton becomes first Democrat to win NM in a presidential election since LBJ in 1964.
  • 1994-2002: Gingrich Revolution sees GOP in the majority until 2002. 
  • 2002: Reaction to Bush sees state split politically.
  • 2008: Obama surge sees Democrats wipe out GOP, winning all offices by +10 points. GOP never gains more than 2 officeholders again *Realignment*

Here are my notes post-realignment: 

• 2010: Reaction to Obamacare sees GOP take the governorship and flip one US House seat.
  • 2018: Reaction to Trump once again wipes out the GOP.
  • Upvote 1

I'll just do one big post when I'm doing with all the states showing all the realignments for every state.