270soft Forum

William Maitland endorses George Thatcher, and calls for the formation of an American Radical Party, based off Abolitionism, Non-Violence, and Expanded Democracy. @Zenobiyl @Hestia11.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

President Hollingsworth gives a speech after the death of Hamilton Fellow Countrymen, Our nation emerged from the conflagration of revolution just 17 short years ago. Our form of government

1-5 was a kill, 6-10 was the gun jams Alexander Hamilton, leader of the Federalist Party, is DEAD! Killed by the new leader of the Abolitionist Party! 

FEDERALIST CONVENTION 1800 Federalists gathered in New York City to choose their delegates as President and Vice President of the United States. Early convention favorites were Alexander Hamilton

Posted Images

Nevermind CE2, I see they put no on their form. Wentworth, however is a yes, so I will want to see for sure if he will.

• Haha 1

@buenoboss has an unspecified amount of time until it's time to choose. If he hasn't said anything by the time I'm ready to do the election, I will assume they aren't running as an independent. 

The Election of 1800

Candidates: 

Hollingsworth (GA) and Iredell (NC) - DR
Hamilton (NY) and Gavan (MA) - Fed
Trumbull (CT) - Ind Fed
Thatcher (MA)/Maitland (PA) - Ind Fed

Hollingsworth/Iredell (Democratic-Republicans): GA (4), SC (8), NC (12), TN (3), KY (4), VA (21), MD (10), PA (15), DE (3), NY (12) - 92 EVs (59% of the popular vote)

Hamilton/Gavan (Federalists): MA (16), CT (9), NJ (7), NH (6) - 38 EVs (24% of the popular vote)

Trumbull (Presidential ticket only - Independent Federalist): 0 EVs (7% of the popular vote)

Thatcher/Maitland (Independent Federalist): RI (4), VT (4) - 8 EVs (10% of the popular vote)

image.png.6ea44496471db9f4c7712df9139e31e9.png

Senate: 16 Federalists (MAJORITY), 15 Democratic-Republicans (Minority), 1 Seat Vacant (Maryland)

House: 73 Democratic-Republicans (MAJORITY) (69%), 33 Federalists (Minority) (31%)

Story

The 1800 election spelled doom for the Federalist party. The ticket of Hamilton and Gavan was poorly taken by the people of the United States, and prompted instant pushback from both moderates who disliked Gavan, and progressives who disliked Hamilton. The infighting resulted in a three-way split, with the Federalists running the official ticket of Hamilton/Gavan, while Trumbull and Thatcher made their own moves for President. The destruction of the institutional Federalist Party caused them to lose New York, which turned a bright green. Democratic-Republicans won just 40% in the state, but triumphed over Hamilton's 38%, followed by Trumbull and Thatcher (15 and 7, respectively). The strong Democratic-Republican tide nearly swept the Senate out from under the Federalists, who had a large majority engrained. The House was a Democratic-Republican sweep, led by the strong ticket of Hollingsworth/Iredell. 

There are major questions for the Federalist party about viability. They have four years to recover for the next Presidential election, as it looks like the midterm elections could be just a further encapsulation of the size of the Democratic-Republican victory. The unification of the Conservative side (and Southern side) of politics exposes trouble for the Northern states, which allowed some rather liberal bastions to fall to the Democratic-Republicans (including New York and Delaware). Close scrapes in New Jersey and even Connecticut threatened to make a bad election worse.

Once I have midterm actions prepared for @Reagan04, we will move on.

Vice President elect Thomas Iredell (DR-NC) sends a letter to Hamilton, Gavan, and Trumbell, congratulating them on a race well run and promising to do his best to represent the entire nation in their defeat. While they may be ideological foes, Iredell would prefer to see the country united in compromise, rather than divided in their policy differences. Our American democratic system is strong enough to handle a peaceful transition of power. 

In response to the catastrophic defeat of the Federalist Party, George Thatcher declares his intention to break away and form a new political party centered around the abolition of slavery, neutrality, and protection of individual liberties. This new party, called The Emancipation Party, will attempt to sway abolitionist representatives and citizens. They are firmly opposed to abolitionist politicians and parties, and plan to expand in northern states for the next election.

Senator Middleton sends his congratulations to President-Elect Hollingsworth and Iredell. Middleton plans to do as much as he can to promote the Democratic-Republican Agenda through the Senate as the hopeful Senate Minority Leader. 

Following the disaster that was the Election, Hamilton will meet with many in his network of loyalists and supporters, before, after nearly a month of silence following the Election, releasing the 58 page "Account On The Misfortunes Of The Federalist Party". In this account, he will describe the "radicals" who threw themselves out of the party in the name of ideals unlikely to ever be passed through any government. He will call out these radicals for rejecting his offers for peace, and will call them, "The most obstinate people in America, unaware of their own influence on the political system." Next, he will call out the moderates who rallied around Trumbull, calling them, "The same people who rallied around Adams as he destroyed any hope of success we ever had in this election." In the account, he will describe the "broken and divided" nature of the Federalist Party. He will call it, "A party with no clear ideals or motives, simply wandering from moderate to progressive, with the only common thread being their hate of the Democratic-Republicans." To close, Hamilton will announce that he and his network of loyalists are preparing to reform the Federalist Party into a genuine organization with a clear set of ideals, saying, "From here on in I will ensure that we stand for the mass expansion of tariffs and taxes to eliminate the public debt, for the mass expansion of the Federal government in social and economic matters, making us an industrial power while also dealing with the dangerous news outlets and immigrants invading our land, for an alliance with Britain to safeguard our interests, and for the mass expansion of our military. And as a note to President-elect Hollingsworth, I will be coming back to defeat you in 4 years." Following the accounts release, he will work with party bosses to expel countless abolitionists and moderates from the party.

3 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

George Thatcher, enraged by Hamilton’s accusations, challenges him to a duel!

Hamilton will respond, saying, "Though many find duels to be the most honorable way to settle disputes, I have to turn down this foolish challenge. The eyes of the nation are on us as public servants, and you want to waste our people's time and possibly your life over a handful of insults? Please, have more respect for America and for yourself, and please do find other ways to deal with your obvious anger issues than starting doomed-to-fail parties and challenging those with more power than you to duels."

Memminger vows to continue holding the banner of the Federalist Party.

@ALiteralNeoliberalGovernor Terrell makes a visit to Jonathan Trumbull Jr in the Connecticut Governor's Residence, making him a proposition over a fine dinner to leave the disheveled Federalist Party and to join the moderate wing of the Democratic-Republicans. Terrell cites Hamilton's clear disdain for Trumbull's independent run, and tells him, "As long as you commit to recognize that states ought to run their economies based on their own interests, you'll be vastly accepted, I guarantee you that".  After the long dinner, Terrell prepares to leave back to Tennessee, telling Governor Trumbull, "I respect you as a Governor, Jonathan, and I hope to hear of any potential decision soon, whether that be the one I prefer or not."

39 minutes ago, The Blood said:

Hamilton will respond, saying, "Though many find duels to be the most honorable way to settle disputes, I have to turn down this foolish challenge. The eyes of the nation are on us as public servants, and you want to waste our people's time and possibly your life over a handful of insults? Please, have more respect for America and for yourself, and please do find other ways to deal with your obvious anger issues than starting doomed-to-fail parties and challenging those with more power than you to duels."

Thatcher writes a letter in response: “I am disgusted with Hamilton’s cowardly display. Not only did he hide from my challenge, but Hamilton refused to apologize for his Insults as well! Any good American knows it is custom to deny a duel challenge with an apology, not further insult. What kind of man continues to throw insults, while hiding in fear at the same time?

Also, let us not forget that Hamilton insulted me first, yet he claims I am wasting time with insults!

Make no mistake, Hamilton, you are clearly as bad at winning duels as you are at winning elections. I have no doubt the voting public will realize that very soon!”

Just now, Zenobiyl said:

Thatcher writes a letter in response: “I am disgusted with Hamilton’s cowardly display. Not only did he hide from my challenge, but Hamilton refused to apologize for his Insults as well! Any good American knows it is custom to deny a duel challenge with an apology, not further insult. What kind of man continues to throw insults, while hiding in fear at the same time?

Also, let us not forget that Hamilton insulted me first, yet he claims I am wasting time with insults!

Make no mistake, Hamilton, you are clearly as bad at winning duels as you are at winning elections. I have no doubt the voting public will realize that very soon!

Hamilton will write in response, "Am I truly hiding in fear, Thatcher? I would not believe so. No, I am taking an honest and principled stand in denying a lunatic the right to get himself killed by my hand. Because that is what would happen if I accepted your challenge, if you need a prediction for such an event. I will not duel you because I will not waste my own time or the people of America's time on you any longer. You are a raving lunatic, challenging people with far greater esteem than you to duels, and then throwing a fit when they see through your mask of righteousness to see what you are. A sad, lonely man who will commit unspeakable acts of political suicide(Namely, this challenge and your splitting of the Federalist Party) to gather attention. You no longer deserve my attention, however, if it satisfies you, I will prove my ability to not hide in fear. As I am addressing this letter I am already preparing for a trip to Massachusetts to visit your home. There, I will be sure not to deliver a gun, but instead my pity for your sad existence."

President-elect Hollingsworth relaxes at his Georgia plantation before riding off to D.C. to assume office. He remarks to his wife.

"My darling Marcelle, for what reason should I even attack the Federalists this term. It appears they are content to tear themselves to shreds!"

Upon arriving, the President-elect, soon to be sworn in, writes a letter to leaders from all factions in the Democratic-Republican Party

"My dear friends and fellow Americans,

We have seized the reigns of power here in Washington. Let it now be our solemn duty to do the people's work. To defend Liberty and American independence. I know that this campaign has been divisive, though largely much so for our Federalist friends across the aisle. Now, we must come together as a party, remaining steadfast against the onslaught of factionalism. To divide would be to give up the large advantage we have against the forces of tyranny and government oppression. I will defend liberty in the North just as I will defend it in my native South. The Hollingsworth administration pledges to be the beginning of a new era of peaceful cooperation between the two great branches of our national tree. It is time to resolve ourselves to fix the excesses of the Adams administration and build up a new and free 19th century.

God Bless, Your loyal friend and Servant,

President-Elect Charles Hollingsworth."

• Upvote 3

With no further response from Thatcher, Hamilton will ride north as promised. Arriving at Thatcher's home in Massachusetts, he will walk up to the door and knock. Around 20 feet behind him a crowd of onlookers and those working in the press looking to see the event watch. @Zenobiyl

@The Blood Thatcher mutters to himself angrily, “If he won’t give me a duel, I’ll give it to him myself!”

Thatcher reaches for the loaded pistol on his desk. There is only one bullet, and the hair trigger is off. He won’t be needing a second shot. As the knocking continues, Thatcher walks towards the door. Each step increases his fury, which grows at the man beyond the door.

He has insulted me, challenged me, and now stands outside my door with a cabal of his cronies! All while refusing to duel! Who the hell does this man think he is?

As he reaches the door, Thatcher turns the lock and swings the door wide open. With a pistol in his other hand Thatcher prepares to finish what Hamilton had started.

Hamilton’s eyes widen, but it is already too late. Far too late.

*POW*

8 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

@The Blood Thatcher mutters to himself angrily, “If he won’t give me a duel, I’ll give it to him myself!”

Thatcher reaches for the loaded pistol on his desk. There is only one bullet, and the hair trigger is off. He won’t be needing a second shot. As the knocking continues, Thatcher walks towards the door. Each step increases his fury, which grows at the man beyond the door.

He has insulted me, challenged me, and now stands outside my door with a cabal of his cronies! All while refusing to duel! Who the hell does this man think he is?

As he reaches the door, Thatcher turns the lock and swings the door wide open. With a pistol in his other hand Thatcher prepares to finish what Hamilton had started.

Hamilton’s eyes widen, but it is already too late. Far too late.

*POW*

image.png.a668a63d6d5b1b6d55becfffce4571f8.png1-5 was a kill, 6-10 was the gun jams

Alexander Hamilton, leader of the Federalist Party, is DEAD! Killed by the new leader of the Abolitionist Party! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

President Hollingsworth gives a speech after the death of Hamilton

Fellow Countrymen,

Our nation emerged from the conflagration of revolution just 17 short years ago. Our form of government has stood for only a decade. As I enter office as your third President, I seek to lead a nation which cannot afford to devolve into rule by bullet rather than by ballot. I should hope to amend the fractures between North and South, Republican and Federalist. Our duty as Americans is to prove our model of government the finest on earth seen since the days of Athens and the Roman Senate. Our duty is to uphold those principles for which we shed our blood. Among these is the right to life. Among these is the right to speech. A colleague, a friend, a war hero, was mercilessly murdered by a radical abolitionist today. Let it be resolved that this government, this nation, stands firmly against political violence. We stand firmly against the radical abolitionists who seek to overthrow our peaceful and republican way of Government for which we sacrificed so much to achieve. Alexander Hamilton and I may have disagreed on many things. But we were both resolved in our common love of this county. I remember at age 18 enlisting with revolutionary forces to achieve independence for my beloved Georgia. Little did I know that we would come to not just free Georgia, but these United States of America. From Massachusetts to Georgia, heroes like Hamilton and my brothers in the Georgian army fought British tyranny and won. Let us offer a moment of silence so that God may take his soul and commend his patriotism.

Now my friends, our work is cut out for us. We must find and arrest Thatcher and whomever may have conspired with him to take down the peaceful levers of government. We must be vigilant against the abolitionist threat to the American way of life. And we must always keep Alexander Hamilton and all those who have laid down their lives for this country, in our prayers. Today is a dark morning, but there is light. There is light in the faces of the American people. The bright faces of a free people. I will not rest until their will is down and our country is free and secure from the anxieties of anarchy and tyranny. Now, let us bring Thatcher and his murderous accomplices to justice and let us get to the people's work! God Bless you all and God Bless our United States of America.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Actions to @Reagan04 for the midterms

French overture: The government of France, after seeing the victory of the Democratic-Republicans, is more willing to deal than with the old government under Adams. French overtures suggest that they would be willing to sell a broad chunk of land in the middle of the country to the United States of America, perhaps doubling the country. However, it would almost certainly cost a fortune and plunge the nation into further debt than it has now. What will the official response be from Washington?

Slave Trade: The trade is due to be done in 1808, however some radical parts of the Democratic-Republican party would like it to continue even past that date, some mentioning a thirty-year postponement to 1838. It is almost certain to enrage the Northern branch of the United States, however.

Assassination of Alexander Hamilton: Sec. Hamilton was killed by a former primary rival in Massachusetts, of which the President has already given an address. Will the President take action to attempt to arrest Mr. Thatcher and bring him to justice? Will he take any action against this so-called Emancipation Party, of which Thatcher founded?

Tariff Question: Some Democratic-Republicans are eager to get to work and to eliminate tariffs that plague the southern economy. Will the President give them their blessing in Congress to go ahead and start the process?

Indian Wars: William Henry Harrison is the new governor of the Indiana territory, and is asking the federal government for power to aggressively root out Native Americans in the area. Some are worried it could set off a new war. Does the President give his blessing?

Ohio: The territory of Ohio is petitioning for statehood, likely to come in as a free state that would balance out Tennessee. Will the President give the state his endorsement to seek to become a functioning US state?

Revenue:  The country's budget remains small, and some believe a tax on whisky or growing the tariff would see a spike in revenue. Will the President pursue any further ways to grow the country's budget?

(After his responses are done we will get to a Congressional phase)