270soft Forum

As it was the winner by a vote of 5-3, we will be continuing with an 1800-Present RP style. If you want to see general info about it, see the poll page, but I will be going into more depth here. I am anticipating that we will have more people interested than in the later days of the New Historical President RP, so we may be seeing a lot of shifting in ideologies and whatnot. 

Information on starting

1. For the first election, we will have 2 parties: the Federalists and the Democratic-Republicans. Newly crafted-third Parties will not be allowed until 1804. If you do not get the blessing to run as the Federalist party or the Democratic-Republican party, you do have another option: Independent runs. This can be a pure independent run, an Independent Federalist run, an Independent Democratic-Republican run, etc. Running as an independent, depending on who it is, will be less likely to win than the standard bearer, but will still have a chance.

2. Third parties will not be uniformly approved simply because one asks for it. The country needs to have an appetite for change, and the party has to be different than a party of similar ideology (if one exists) in a substantial way. I don't want this to become where 7 parties are vying for the presidency, but 3-5 would be okay, if we end up going that route. 

3. There will be an election form to fill out (which will be at the bottom of this page, btw). Please be as detailed as possible, but don't break your back over it. If you have given your position clearly, there is no need for multiple sentences for each one. I will run Conventions for each party if there are multiple applicants, and will ask to see if you will run as an independent in the form if you don't earn the nomination.

4. Custom politicians are encouraged over real life politicians. I think it gives a bit more of a personal touch to the RP, but if you do want to do real life politicians, the earlier the better. Such as 1800, it would be easier to have Hamilton run in 1800 rather than have JFK run in 1960 where the country may have fundamentally changed since it's founding.

5. Electoral systems may change! We will do Congress in between election cycles! (Reminder: the tickets are still together, where Vice and President are elected as one, first place and second place)

Background and Issues

The year is 1800. President John Adams has served for four years, but he is now regarded as a lame duck, without a chance of victory in the next election. The Federalists are floundering, and the Democratic-Republicans are ascendant. The country is still reeling from issues surrounding the French Revolution and the Quasi war, as well as persistent questions about the slave trade and how to manage the Alien and Sedition Acts.

ISSUES

French Revolution: France smolders. The country is in fullblown Revolution, and the US is bound to France by treaty. However, the country is wobbly and unlikely to win a war against even colonial Britain. The Democratic-Republicans, led by Vice President Jefferson, are more willing to fight alongside our French allies, while the Federalists hope for peace and prosperity by trading with Great Britain.

Quasi War: Things are further confounded by the Quasi war between the United States and France, where the navies of both countries have been battling at sea from time to time. It has pushed the US into an uncomfortable position with Great Britain, who has been backing the US position. However, the country's populace is still unfriendly towards the British for obvious reasons.

Slave Trade: The slave trade is due to end in 1808. However, angry Federalists believe the date should be moved up and ended immediately, an issue that was led by former Founding Father Benjamin Franklin until his death. Some particularly radical elements of the Federalist party want to end the practice of selling slaves altogether, although it is a fringe issue.

Alien and Sedition Acts: Political poison for Federalists was the Alien and Sedition acts, where people could be charged for opposing the government. Some Federalists are eager to separate themselves from the Acts, but it was supported by President Adams, whose power in the party is not to be ignored. 

Social Harmony: Tension between North and South exists, but is not outright hostile yet.

EconomyPoor. The nation's economy has suffered during the Quasi War, which has led the nation to struggle to find buyers. There is reason to hope, as the industrial North begins to take off. Trade is an issue, where the Northern economy benefits from a stringent tariff, while the South opposes it because it restricts the agrarian economy.

Budget: Weak. Most money earned is going to pay off the debt held by the country.

Immigration: Limited. Mostly Protestant Europeans are immigrating to the United States, and not in large numbers by any means.

National Mood: The people of the United States are jovial about their new found freedom, but lingering doubts about the economy persist and threaten to sour the national feeling.

State of Politics: The Federalists currently hold the House and Senate with giant majorities, but the unpopularity of their actions threatens their hold this time around. The Democratic-Republicans are looking to cement their status as a major party with their first President.

Election Form

Name:

Party:

Would they run independently if they do not win:

State + Office (historical for VP, Pres, otherwise can be made up - Senators, Governors, Secretaries, etc.): 

Platform (one or two sentence reply to all of the above that is underlined and italicized): 

@Reagan04 @WVProgressive @Rodja @Cenzonico @The Blood @Herbert Hoover @buenoboss @TheLiberalKitten @BeetleJuice @Zenobiyl @PringlesN7 and anyone else that may want to participate. Please feel free to DM me if you need anything or have any questions for me. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

President Hollingsworth gives a speech after the death of Hamilton Fellow Countrymen, Our nation emerged from the conflagration of revolution just 17 short years ago. Our form of government

1-5 was a kill, 6-10 was the gun jams Alexander Hamilton, leader of the Federalist Party, is DEAD! Killed by the new leader of the Abolitionist Party! 

FEDERALIST CONVENTION 1800 Federalists gathered in New York City to choose their delegates as President and Vice President of the United States. Early convention favorites were Alexander Hamilton

Posted Images

Note: I will give 2 days from first post of the form for each election to be filled out. Other actions will typically be as soon as you can reply. We're playing the long game here! :)

I could see myself joining. :) 

• Like 1

Election Form

Name: William Maitland

Party: Federalist

Would they run independently if they do not win: Yes

State + Office: Quaker pastor from Pennsylvania

Platform (one or two sentence reply to all of the above that is underlined and italicized): 

French Revolution: War, except in cases of self defence, is fundamentally evil. We should express our total neutrality in European affairs.

Quasi War: Attempt to end this conflict peacefully, by negotiating a treaty with France, but if they are unwilling to come to terms, we may have to build up our navy in order to defend ourselves.

Slave Trade: Both the Bible, and the Declaration of Independence tells us that all men are created equal. We must end slavery in America as soon as possible, and send these souls back to their homeland in Africa. Extend the franchise to all White Men, and Women.

Alien and Sedition Acts: The Alien and Sedition Acts are unconstitutional, and should be repealed. 

Social Harmony: Encourage the South to industrialize, and move away from its reliance on slavery.

EconomyBoost the economy through a mixture of industrialization, federally funded internal improvements, and tariffs. Where we have mature, stable industries, tariffs can be lower. They should be high on most products.

• Thanks 1

Election Form

Name: Andrew Middleton

Party: Democratic-Republican

State + Office (historical for VP, Pres, otherwise can be made up - Senators, Governors, Secretaries, etc.): Former Governor of South Carolina, current Senator from South Carolina. 

French Revolution: France helped us during the Revolutionary War; at the very minimum we should be willing to help our fellow allies in their pursuit of freedom, and defense from the tyranny of Great Britain. 

Quasi War:   France is our friend. Make every attempt possible to negotiate a good deal, and get peace. 

Slave Trade: It is best to gradually end the Atlantic Slave Trade. Domestic Slavery should be left to the states to make their own decisions on. 

Alien and Sedition Acts:  The Alien and Sedition Acts are completely unconstitutional. President Adam's should be ashamed for supporting them, and they MUST be repealed. These are absolutely tyrannical actions on the American people. 

Social Harmony:  Let the South be the South... and the North be the North. Southern society should focus on what it does best through Agriculture, while the North should focus on Industrializing.

EconomyLow Tariffs, Pro Agriculture. More power to the States and their Local Governments. Expand territory to allow Americans the capacity to develop, grow, and prosper. Emphasis on ensuring prosperity of the Common Man, and reducing equipment prices for Farmers, and eventually, on all goods so that the lower classes can flourish. 

• Thanks 1

Election Form

Name: Thomas Iredell

Would they run independently if they do not win: No

State + Office:  Incumbent Governor of North Carolina

French Revolution:  The French have been loyal allies to us and helped secure our independence versus the British. We must come to their aid, directly or indirectly. 

Quasi War: We will end the Quasi War by restoring proper diplomatic relations with our closest ally in Europe. 

Slave Trade: It is ludicrous to suggest that we must end slavery at the national level. While I personally dislike the concept, there is nothing wrong with my fellow Southerners who make an honest living. The Constitution would have outlawed it specifically. Slavery will continue under my presidency.

Alien and Sedition Acts: The Alien and Sedition Acts are an unconstitutional act done by an individual desperate for power. For shame, Mr. Adams! 

Social Harmony:  The North backing off of telling the rest of the nation how to live their lives will greatly increase the strength of our union. The affairs of the individual are not to be policed.

EconomyLow tariffs. We must allow the South to be able to continue making a profit, while the North may industrialize as it wishes to do. 

• Thanks 1

Election Form

Name: Tristan J. Memminger

State + Office (historical for VP, Pres, otherwise can be made up - Senators, Governors, Secretaries, etc.): Senator of NH

French Revolution: We are not willing to fight alongside France, as long as we have not built up enough troops for being secure in our own country. Let's make profit by trading with Great Britain more, in order to achieve longstanding independence.

Quasi War:  Let's settle this silly issue once and for all. What we need is an atmosphere of peace, so we can develop into a truly leading nation.

Slave Trade: We should only continue the slave trade until the point, we can have a proper economy without being dependent on slave labor.

Alien and Sedition Acts: We recognize the good intentions of President Adams when putting the Alien and Sedition Acts forward. We want to grow our country in both territory and people, but we have to look carefully about people toxic to our nation.

Social Harmony: As President I will be a President not just for New England, but all states of our wonderful union.

EconomyEnd the Quasi War, create two tariff zones, one for the North and one for the South. Consult state legislatures to hear their needs. Increase trade with outher nations and make sure we are the one get the profit.

• Thanks 1

Name: Oliver Terrell

State + Office: Governor of Tennessee

Platform:

French Revolution: The People of France are fighting a valiant cause against Monarchical Tyranny. However, I can not support the leadership of Napoleon Bonaparte, as he seems to have no interest in being a true ruler for the people. I am willing to re-evaluate my stance depending on events that occur in Europe between now and the time of my inauguration.

Quasi War: We must establish peace with the French, for they are our greatest ally in Europe, and we need not be embroiled in unnecessary wars at this time.

Slave Trade: I believe that slavery is immoral, and against the tenants of the American Ideal, yet at this moment in time a necessary evil that keeps half of the country economically stable. I will allow the Slave Trade to end at its designated time in 1808, and hope that we as a country can take this as a step towards the slow end of slavery, via the Southern States becoming less economically dependent on it and outlawing it themselves, rather than a national ban on slavery which would be disastrous and against everything this country stands for.

Alien and Sedition Acts: The Alien and Sedition acts are a violation of the right to free speech as outlined in the 1st amendment. Repealing them will be the first act of my Presidency, and those still serving sentences shall be pardoned.

Social Harmony: No two states in this fine Union are the same, and they must be treated that way. There shall be no trampling on the rights of states to govern themselves.

EconomyDifferent states have different economies, and this must be recognized. We must lower the tariffs that are destroying the economies of the southern states. States must have the power to run their economy in the way that suits them best, without interference from other states with different interests or the federal government.

• Thanks 1

Election Form

Name: Alexander Hamilton(As In The Real Historical Figure)

Party: Federalists

State + Office: New York,  Former Treasury Secretary(1789-1795)

Platform:

French Revolution: The horrid and dangerous actions of the French people and leaders over the past decade have left America with no choice but to abandon the already opportunistic(At best) alliance we held with them. America cannot spare the money and reputation necessary to defend a country controlled by opportunists and oftentimes rioters. Instead, we must look to strengthen ties with Britain, creating strong economic and trade ties to ensure prosperity for our economy and to normalize relations further, opening the door for future alliances with Britain.

Quasi War:  We cannot back down as our economy suffers at the hands of this petty war. We must defend our sailors and tradesmen, and send a clear message to France by strengthening ties with Britain to seek their full backing in this matter. If France does not back down, we will use every power available to force them to, including furthering British involvement in the conflict.

Slave Trade: We must move to end the slave trade as soon as possible, however, we must condemn radicals who are screaming for abolition, thus dividing our nation and weakening our party. Instead, we must promote manumission as a voluntary way to combat slavery.

Alien and Sedition Acts: I fully support these acts, as they ensure national unity and unanimity during war and in the face of foreign threats such as France. They also help to ensure that the mass of aliens in this country are easily dealt with, preventing social divides and weakness, though I would increase the power of the government in dealing with aliens in our country even further as President.

Social Harmony: The only way to find national unity is to find prosperous economic and political conditions. I have solutions for finding these conditions, so as much as the South may scream and whine over them, once I am finished with my first term they will have learned to take their medicine and accept that as much as they hate my solutions, they push the country as a whole forward.

EconomyWe must further pursue the plans started under my time as Secretary of the Treasury to pay off the national debt, giving our government the free funds needed to invest in the economy. We must also raise tariffs across the board to build up our industry and jump-start the economy, while also increasing revenues for the government. Expand taxes against activities such as drinking, increasing the whiskey tax(Further creating revenue). We must also invest in the economy, ensuring the rise of the industry which will give our nation a prosperous position much like the nations of Europe, further allowing trade and treaties with Britain, and slowly transitioning large areas of the country from rural to urbanized, industrial, and successful areas. 

• Thanks 1

Election Form

Name: George Thatcher

Would they run independently if they didn’t win: Possibly, depending on the winner’s slavery stance

State + Office: Massachusetts Congressman (1794-1801) (Not running for re-election)

Platform: 

French Revolution: It would be unwise to involve ourselves in a European war after the last one ended so recently. We should maintain our neutrality, and focus on the problems we face here instead of wars across the sea.

Quasi War: Although neutrality is ideal, we must defend our sovereignty from any nation that attempts to violate it. 

Slave Trade: Slavery is a barbaric and evil practice. Many states in New England have already abolished the practice, and the United States should as well.

Alien and Sedition Acts: These acts are a perversion of our Constitution. Freedom of speech is an unalienable right, period.

Social Harmony: As long as the southern states cling to slavery, I will continue to oppose them.

Economy: The future of the American economy is in manufacturing, so we should adapt to this reality. Tariffs allow us to maintain our economic sovereignty.

• Thanks 1

Election Form

Name: Clyde Beckman 

State + Office: Pennsylvania, full-time writer

The Platform:

The French Revolution: Although it is nice to see people rise up against oppressive monarchs, this isn't a problem for America to get involved in. Stay neutral and let it run its course.

The Quasi War: Quickly end this dumb war. We have other problems to deal with.

The Slave Trade: Stop the trade as soon as possible and don't let anymore come in after. It is best to make the practice outdated instead of outright making it illegal.

The Alien and Sedition Acts: A gross act of tyranny that should have never been conceived! Repeal it as soon as possible!

Social Harmony: I think it is right to assume that a nation can never achieve full harmony among its people. The best we can do is respect cultural differences and move on. 

Economy: Full steam ahead! Go for full industrialization across the nation, invest in advancement even in the south! Don't get too greedy with the tariffs but don't go too low. Don't try to create any other tax at this time. 

• Thanks 1

Election Form

Name: 
Jonathan Trumbull Jr. (real historical figure)

Party: Federalist 

Independent Run: No

State + Office: Connecticut, Incumbent Governor of Connecticut, former Senator, Speaker of the HOR, Lt. Gov of Connecticut, to name a few,

Platform

French Revolution: While overthrowing the French monarchy is a very wise move, Napolean seems dangerous and could incite future conflicts, it is best for the USA to put their own interests firsts, rather than paying too close attention to the volatile political climate in Europe,

Quasi War: While diplomacy should always be the first option, the use of military force may be necessary if France refuses to honor our agreements and respect our sovereignty, and a US Navy should be formed not only for this conflict, but for the future of the nation.

Slave Trade: The entire Union should follow Connecticut's path, and pass an act of gradual abolition of slavery, clearly stating that all children born into slavery after the passage of the act shall be freed, gradually decreasing the number of slaves until it is nonexistent,

Alien and Sedition Acts:  Respect our sacred constitution! 

Social Harmony: Encourage and push for reform in the South away from slavery and towards industrialization, however respect state laws, 

Economy: Continuing to raise tariffs on the North, and mostly leave southern states to industrialize on their own, only incrementally raising tariffs in the South,

• Thanks 1

Name:Norman Gavan

Party:Federalist

Would they run indenpendetly?:No.

State + Office:Senator from Massachusets

The Platform:

French Revolution:Rhetoricaly support the revolution as a philosophical successor of the American Revolution,but dont meddle in other countries affairs.

The Quasi War:Launch peace negotiations as soon as possible,but be strong defending American interests and dont concede anything easily.

The Slave Trade:Ban slave trade right now!People are not to be sold like property!Demand slaves start receiving salary and some benefits!

The Alien and Sedition Acts:Repeal Alien and Sedition Act!

Social Harmony:Help South develop more economically and industrially

Economy:Full-scale national industralization!Lower tarriffs

• Thanks 1

Election Form

Name:Marshall Wentworth

Party:Federalist

Would they run independently if they do not win:Yes

State + Office (historical for VP, Pres, otherwise can be made up - Senators, Governors, Secretaries, etc.):Former US Congressman from New Hampshire and current Senator from New Hampshire.

French Revolution:Willing to fight for and with France to make sure they can create a better government for their people

Quasi War:End the war with the French, as they are our ally

Slave Trade:End all slave sales and free all salves, end the slave trade now

Alien and Sedition Acts:Agree

Social Harmony:Help both sides of the country grow and work together

Economy:Less tariffs

Immigration:Allow all members of all countries to come into the country after they are checked by the government

• Thanks 1

Name: Charles James Hollingsworth

Party: DR

Independent: Yes (Depends on how liberal the nominee is)

State: Governor of Georgia

Platform: We have to help our French allies with everything short of sending Americans to Europe . It’s time we step up and lead the fight against Britain and the monarchy!

Quasi War: This was an absurd transgression with our ally France.

Slave Trade: The slave trade is vital to the Southern and American way of life, we must defend it!

Alien and Sedition Acts: A gross infringement on liberty by Adams and his fellow monarchists in the Federalist Party!

Social Harmony: The south must be heard, we can only afford to be united so long as the rights of all states are respected.

Tariffs: Its time to abolish tariffs! Get the government off our back and let us sell American cotton and dominate the global market!

Immigration: Immigration should be restricted to white persons of good moral standing and any servants indentured to them. Give preference to those of import with servants and slaves. 

• Thanks 1

FEDERALIST CONVENTION 1800

Federalists gathered in New York City to choose their delegates as President and Vice President of the United States. Early convention favorites were Alexander Hamilton, the star of the party, and John Trumbull Jr., Governor of Connecticut. Major issues to be hammered out among the party was how far to go on slavery, as well as how much to position themselves away from the legacy of President Adams. Trumbull and Hamilton both seemed well positioned to strike the middle line on both issues. However, some radical elements of the party gathered their strength and rallied behind Sen. Gavan (F-MA) and Sen. Wentworth (F-NH). Deliberations went deep into the night as party bosses met with each candidate. Maitland and Memminger, two pols thought to be beloved by the party hierarchy, ended up getting scant attention from them that night, as the conversations began to shift and focus around five candidates (Hamilton, Trumbull, Gavan, Wentworth, and Thatcher). 

First Ballot (based on % of party delegates)

Hamilton - 34%

Gavan - 22%

Thatcher - 14%

Wentworth - 9%

Trumbull - 7%

Memminger - 7%

Beckman - 4%

Maitland - 3%

Federalist Party rules eliminate all under 10% (mainly for ease of time for me ;) )

Second Ballot

Hamilton - 58% 

Gavan - 27%

Thatcher - 15%

Federalist Party ticket is Alexander Hamilton, former Secretary of Treasury for President, and Sen. Norman Gavan from Massachusetts for Vice President.

Other Federalists may now announce independent bids should they desire. D-Rs will be this afternoon or later this morning.

• Upvote 4

Jonathan Trumbull Jr, dissatisfied  with Hamilton's platform, in particular his stances towards the relationship between state and federal governments, as well as the Alien and Sedition acts, announces that he will make an independent bid at the presidency. He paints himself as representing the moderate wing of the party, appealing to federalists anxious about the party's Hamilton/Gavan ticket veering further to the left.

• Upvote 1

DEMOCRATIC-REPUBLICAN CONVENTION 1800

With significantly fewer competitors than the Federalists, the D-R's were focused upon four competitors: Sen. Andrew Middleton (D-R of SC), Gov. Thomas Iredell (D-R of NC), Gov. Oliver Terrell (D-R of TN), and Gov. James Hollingsworth (D-R of GA). All four were well-liked by the convention delegates, and the Democratic-Republicans were rather pleased with their crop of candidates, who felt that they could defeat any Federalist set against them. There were some snags on slavery for several candidates, as well as positions towards France with others. One notable example was when Gov. Hollingsworth was quoted as saying that it was an "absurd transgression with our French allies" about the Quasi War, with several D-R's wondering if he was speaking about the United States making the transgression.

Still, all four candidates were liked for varying reasons. With the relative compactness of geographical advantage for all of them, none was seen to have a specific advantage with any Northern states. On the second ballot, the party began to show a revolution towards Thomas Iredell, who had a tremendous appreciation from D-R delegates that wasn't shown to him on the first ballot.

First Round

Hollingsworth - 31%

Middleton - 28%

Iredell - 22%

Terrell - 19%

Second Round (Terrell eliminated)

Hollingsworth - 36%

Iredell - 34%

Middleton - 30%

Third Round (Middleton eliminated, to decide VP and Presidential candidates)

Hollingsworth - 53%

Iredell - 47%

A groundswell of support for the D-R ticket seems likely as they choose James Hollingsworth, Governor of Georgia, and Thomas Iredell, Governor of North Carolina, as their candidates for President and Vice President. 

(Any D-R can now announce independent bids)

All independent bids must be declared by tomorrow at 9 AM Central Time.

• Upvote 1

Despite Senator Middleton saying he would run regardless of the nominee... he is quite impressed that Governor Hollingsworth has won and appears content with him being the nominee. Middleton will throw his support behind Hollingsworth for President but will remain in the race to present another choice for Vice President. 

Edit: Not anymore, scroll down to see my final decision.

George Thatcher considers an independent bid for president, claiming that Alexander Hamilton’s equivocation on the slavery issue is a spineless action. Thatcher demands that Hamilton condemn slavery and pledge to prevent the addition of any slave states. Should he refuse, Thatcher will run a campaign on the total abolition of slavery in the United States.

@The Blood

1 minute ago, Zenobiyl said:

George Thatcher considers an independent bid for president, claiming that Alexander Hamilton’s equivocation on the slavery issue is a spineless action. Thatcher demands that Hamilton condemn slavery and pledge to prevent the addition of any slave states. Should he refuse, Thatcher will run a campaign on the total abolition of slavery in the United States.

@The Blood

Hamilton responds, saying, "No."

Governor Terrell will support the Hollingsworth/Iredell ticket, citing the fact that most of his supporters supported Iredell on the second ticket rather than Middleton. Terrell urges Middleton to drop out of the race for Vice President, as MIddleton is a great fighter for Democratic-Republican values in the Senate, and Terrell would prefer he remain there.

• Upvote 1

After some time, and reconsideration, Middleton drops out of the VP race and pledges his full support to the Democratic-Republican Ticket. (Someone's going to be Senate Majority Leader or Minority Leader after this election. Hehe.) Middleton accepts Terrell's wishes. 

• Upvote 1