270soft Forum

What Sep.-Oct. surprises might there be?

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think a Camp David peace deal on the level of Carter's peace deal between Israel and Saudi Arabia

This one is semi-plausible (the other peace deals were almost assuredly done with SA's consent, there are unofficial relations between the two country).  But I seriously doubt they would go official in the next month, and unless there's a hell of a lot more negotiations that have gone on than anyone's been aware of, it certainly wouldn't be on the level of the Camp David Accords.

31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

1. Major Hurricane

(...)

1. Considering how Trump polls when dealing with a hurricane, I don't think this will help him. Probably won't hurt him either. 

It (or some other natural disaster or an accident (eg, three mile island)) could have the potential of making voting/counting the votes more difficult.

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Let's see if we can predict any September or October surprises. Feel free to brainstorm instead of just saying what you think is likely.

I think something that invalidates most of the mail-in ballots via a court case would be the biggest October Surprise. You'd have people rushing to the polls believing their vote was, is, or might be cancelled. You'd have people that voted but won't go to the polls even if their vote is cancelled. Could be chaos.

• Like 1

The only thing I can imagine that would actually impact the election in a real way would be a serious health collapse for Trump or Biden (or both).  That would be a game changer — either of them collapsing health wise would help Republicans, in my mind.

Barring that, there will be no October Surprise.  

Only a November through January surprise, in which Trump denies the outcome of the election and refused to leave.

Another issue is when a surprise would happen.  With polls suggesting that Democrats are more likely to vote by mail or vote early, that could mean that a lot of Democratic votes are locked in before the surprise happens.  Of course, it's also possible that the surprise happens early enough that the effect goes away by Election Day and less likely to influence Republican votes.

5 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Let's see if we can predict any September or October surprises. Feel free to brainstorm instead of just saying what you think is likely.

Surprise! The American voter are getting cheated and screwed, and having their true choice in leadership taken away, and being presented with two morally bankrupt crooks as the only candidates who are ALLOWED to win - AGAIN!

The writers of 2020 are going to use up all their surprises now, event though there are a bunch more episodes to go (in the week since this thread, there were already two surprises that would have been huge in any normal election).  At this rate, they may not have anything for the season finale.

I'm going to predict invasion from outer space, because they're going to have to go bigger and bigger.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
On 9/25/2020 at 5:13 PM, Actinguy said:

The only thing I can imagine that would actually impact the election in a real way would be a serious health collapse for Trump or Biden (or both).  That would be a game changer — either of them collapsing health wise would help Republicans, in my mind.

DING DING DING.

(Granted, not a full "serious health collapse" yet.  Trump says he's been diagnosed with a potentially deadly disease, but supposedly no actual symptoms at this time.

• Haha 1