270soft Forum

Democrats want to replace Feinstein

Another Joe Kennedy stunt? 

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Joe Kennedy?

The guy who challenged Ed Markey and failed miserably.

3 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

The guy who challenged Ed Markey and failed miserably.

Challenges against long-standing incumbents shouldn't be ridiculed. They should be encouraged, and happen much more often. Incumbents getting too comfortable in their office leads to complacency, apathy, and shameless corruption.

28 minutes ago, Patine said:

Challenges against long-standing incumbents shouldn't be ridiculed. They should be encouraged, and happen much more often. Incumbents getting too comfortable in their office leads to complacency, apathy, and shameless corruption.

Kennedy was a blessing. Because he managed to make Markey worry, and therefore Markey is pushing hard for Progressive Policies. 

Corporate Centrists should be primaried from the Left, so as to REPLACE them. 

Progressives primaried from the same position or to the left to let them remember who they're representing. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Patine said:

Oh, ridiculing isn't my preferred style, but I don't like people who think they are entitled to public office just because of their name. If Markey had retired, I would have ignored Kennedy's candidacy as not that special. Furthermore, I believe his behavior was an unfair assault on Markey's reputation, which is even if you disagree with him as I do, still something Democrats should rally around instead of abandon it for the sake of ''some other guy''.

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Oh, ridiculing isn't my preferred style, but I don't like people who think they are entitled to public office just because of their name. If Markey had retired, I would have ignored Kennedy's candidacy as not that special. Furthermore, I believe his behavior was an unfair assault on Markey's reputation, which is even if you disagree with him as I do, still something Democrats should rally around instead of abandon it for the sake of ''some other guy''.

Did you have the same feelings when George W. Bush put in his bid for U.S. President in 2000 after only two years of Gubernatorial experience to his political dossier, but largely gaining instant relevance and significance mostly piggybacking off of his father's and grandfather's last name? I'm willing to bet you weren't as scathing or critical of the trend at that time.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Did you have the same feelings when George W. Bush put in his bid for U.S. President in 2000 after only two years of Gubernatorial experience to his political dossier, but largely gaining instant relevance and significance mostly piggybacking off of his father's and grandfather's last name? I'm willing to bet you weren't as scathing or critical of the trend at that time.

Did I expect a reference on Bush from you at this point? :P Yes, I did.

Anyway, when Bush announced his first term candidacy in June 1999, I was barely 3 1/2 years old. I doubt I knew who Bush was at this time. But even with my knowledge today, I see a fundamental difference here. Bush didn't challenge an incumbent with high reputation among his party members.

Additionally I believe Bush had actually more than 4 years of experience. Didn't he take office in 1995?

2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Did I expect a reference on Bush from you at this point? :P Yes, I did.

Anyway, when Bush announced his first term candidacy in June 1999, I was barely 3 1/2 years old. I doubt I knew who Bush was at this time. But even with my knowledge today, I see a fundamental difference here. Bush didn't challenge an incumbent with high reputation among his party members.

Additionally I believe Bush had actually more than 4 years of experience. Didn't he take office in 1995?

I admit I erred on his date of taking the Texas Governor's Mansion. Nonetheless, his 2000 bid WAS still very much floated and made relevant and significant by his family name. I doubt he could have even hoped to beat, or even come close to, such party elder statesman as Hatch and and even McCain, or even Elizabeth Dole, without such name recognition.

18 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/23/dianne-feinstein-supreme-court-battle-420357

Interesting article for a read about inside Democratic politics.

The article was a good read. However, I believe the new generation of progressive Democrats is getting above themselves. They should cheer party icons like Feinstein instead of hammering them.

5 hours ago, Centrist Emperor Kerzaris said:

Kennedy was a blessing. Because he managed to make Markey worry, and therefore Markey is pushing hard for Progressive Policies. 

Corporate Centrists should be primaried from the Left, so as to REPLACE them. 

Progressives primaried from the same position or to the left to let them remember who they're representing. 

You do understand that Kennedy was the corporate centrist in that race right? Markey was a progressive before Joe Kennedy primaried him and won because Kennedy didn't have any tangible policy proposals for the people of the Bay State, he just thought he should win because he had the last name that seems to buy a seat in the US Senate from Massachusetts.

Markey isn't pushing hard for progressive policies because of Kennedy, he's pushing for them despite Kennedy.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

You do understand that Kennedy was the corporate centrist in that race right? Markey was a progressive before Joe Kennedy primaried him and won because Kennedy didn't have any tangible policy proposals for the people of the Bay State, he just thought he should win because he had the last name that seems to buy a seat in the US Senate from Massachusetts.

Markey isn't pushing hard for progressive policies because of Kennedy, he's pushing for them despite Kennedy.

I know Markey was the Progressive. My statement was not to dismiss Markey's progressivism. But rather to emphasize that Kennedy made him double down on his Progressivism. 

Had there been no Primary Challenge from anyone, I doubt Markey would be courting the left as hard as he did. And the left embraced him, despite his problematic record (similar to Biden). And despite Kennedy's pathetic attempt to paint himself as a progressive. When he's nothing but an elitist, useless, corporatist and corrupted Centrist. 

I have to note here that when I say "the left", I mean Berniecrats. Not Warren Liberals. 

• Upvote 1
39 minutes ago, Centrist Emperor Kerzaris said:

I know Markey was the Progressive. My statement was not to dismiss Markey's progressivism. But rather to emphasize that Kennedy made him double down on his Progressivism. 

Had there been no Primary Challenge from anyone, I doubt Markey would be courting the left as hard as he did. And the left embraced him, despite his problematic record (similar to Biden). And despite Kennedy's pathetic attempt to paint himself as a progressive. When he's nothing but an elitist, useless, corporatist and corrupted Centrist. 

I have to note here that when I say "the left", I mean Berniecrats. Not Warren Liberals. 

I just happen to think that the notion of Markey "courting" the left is wrong. The left was always going to vote for Markey. The left knew what Joe Kennedy was about. Markey won because the Warren Liberals lost confidence in Joe Kennedy and switched back to Markey.

20 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

I just happen to think that the notion of Markey "courting" the left is wrong. The left was always going to vote for Markey. The left knew what Joe Kennedy was about. Markey won because the Warren Liberals lost confidence in Joe Kennedy and switched back to Markey.

So constantly bringing up AOC's Endorsement, The Green New Deal and attacking Kennedy's Family (mildly) was definitely not to court the left. Alright, gotcha. 

You're dismissing the huge amount of Energy Young People has contributed to Markey's campaign. The amount of resources Leftists outside from Massachusetts contributed.  You're ignoring the Sunrise Movement and many more. 

To each their own I guess. 

20 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

https://bowdoinorient.com/2020/09/25/opinion-a-message-from-ed-markey-to-sara-gideon-embrace-the-youth-win-the-election/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/ed-markey-defeats-joe-kennedy-massachusetts-senate/615937/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/04/metro/reflecting-win-ed-markey-says-its-almost-like-sleeping-giant-got-awakened-this-year/

https://www.theverge.com/21408407/ed-markey-stans-fandom-politics-massachusetts-primary-joe-kennedy

2 hours ago, Centrist Emperor Kerzaris said:

So constantly bringing up AOC's Endorsement, The Green New Deal and attacking Kennedy's Family (mildly) was definitely not to court the left. Alright, gotcha. 

You're dismissing the huge amount of Energy Young People has contributed to Markey's campaign. The amount of resources Leftists outside from Massachusetts contributed.  You're ignoring the Sunrise Movement and many more. 

To each their own I guess. 

I’m literally not. I’m saying those people already were going to vote for him. I think we’re talking past each other here. I’m saying it’s not like he was pushed to the left. He just ran with the left like he would have done anyway. He didn’t flip flop to the left on any issue because he was already there. “Courting” means you’re trying to win the left over, often by moving to the left on certain issues. All Markey did was run as the leftist he is in order to increase turnout. I wouldn’t classify that as courting, perhaps we just have different definitions?

• Upvote 1