ThePotatoWalrus

Cigar Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy premium cigars?

• I usually smoke 1-2 a day, or more
    • I'll enjoy a couple a week
    • Rarely, once every month or two
    • Maybe a couple a year
    • I'll smoke them during celebratory events when offered one (weddings, childbirth, etc.), but not on my own
    • No, but I've tried them before
    • No, and i'm not interested in them
    • Other
  2. 2. Is cigar-smoking a positive or negative trait for a president? (Select all that may apply)

• Yes, it's a sign of patience, precision, and keeps stress in check
    • Yes, but only in moderation
    • It's irrelevant/doesn't mean much either way
    • No, cigar-smoking is out of touch with common people
    • No, cigar-smoking is a bad trait for a role model
    • No, cigar-smoking takes up too much time from a president's schedule
    • Other (Explain below)

Just now, vcczar said:

I've hallucinated a lot of things without any drugs other than coffee, sleep deprivation, not wearing my glasses before I got lasik, and misreading stuff because I read it to fast or misheard something because I wasn't fulling listening to a nearby conversation. 

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That's actually super interesting. I've only hallucinated spiders and stuff like that, but could never see them clearly and only on the outside of my vision, though I only reached like two days sans sleep.

also forgot to add that I had some hallucinations after my dad died probably out of grief. In all my hallucinations, I knew they were hallucinations. I never thought they were real. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, vcczar said:

I've hallucinated a lot of things without any drugs other than coffee, sleep deprivation, not wearing my glasses before I got lasik, and misreading stuff because I read it to fast or misheard something because I wasn't fulling listening to a nearby conversation. 

Would you recommend Lasik? I usually sleep in my contacts right now lmao and I feel like Lasik would be way healthier long-term, but I've heard horror stories of people who say it's the worst thing they've ever done, and their eyes are in constant states of discomfort and perpetual tearing, but that was years ago when I first got contacts and i'm sure the science has improved by now.

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Would you recommend Lasik? I usually sleep in my contacts right now lmao and I feel like Lasik would be way healthier long-term, but I've heard horror stories of people who say it's the worst thing they've ever done, and their eyes are in constant states of discomfort and perpetual tearing, but that was years ago when I first got contacts and i'm sure the science has improved by now.

I've heard that too, but I think that's really rare. Just go to a place that has a doctor that's done thousands of them. My doctor said he'd done like 27,000 of them. He was going through people like he was making tacos. Took like 5 or 10 minutes, but felt longer because it was horrifying. But it was worth it. Takes about 2 months for the grainy feeling in your eyes to go away. Like, you can feel your eyes moving in their sockets slightly.

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I've heard that too, but I think that's really rare. Just go to a place that has a doctor that's done thousands of them. My doctor said he'd done like 27,000 of them. He was going through people like he was making tacos. Took like 5 or 10 minutes, but felt longer because it was horrifying. But it was worth it. Takes about 2 months for the grainy feeling in your eyes to go away. Like, you can feel your eyes moving in their sockets slightly.

Reminds me of this thing called the McCollough effect. You stare at the red and green square for like three seconds at a time going back and forth for about 5 minutes, and then the lines show hints of pink and green when they're not really there. The effect lasts a couple days because somehow it embeds itself in the brain. I tried it thinking it was BS but it lasted about a week for me. One dude said it lasted 3 months.

You can read it here, it was interesting, but harmless. Results may vary but it did work for me. Works best full-screen and doing it for 15 minutes, but I did it in not full-screen and only for five and it worked. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCollough_effect 

7 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Reminds me of this thing called the McCollough effect. You stare at the red and green square for like three seconds at a time going back and forth for about 5 minutes, and then the lines show hints of pink and green when they're not really there. The effect lasts a couple days because somehow it embeds itself in the brain. I tried it thinking it was BS but it lasted about a week for me. One dude said it lasted 3 months.

You can read it here, it was interesting, but harmless. Results may vary but it did work for me. Works best full-screen and doing it for 15 minutes, but I did it in not full-screen and only for five and it worked. 

Does it work on colour-blind people? :P

10 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Interesting. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/politics/trump-cuba-announcement/index.html 

Interesting article. Trump announced new restrictions on Cuban cigars, rum, travel, and other things. This is weird as he announced that a Cuban-American woman was on his shortlist for the Supreme Court, and how Florida, a key battleground state, has close connections to Cuba as many of them are related to or descended from Cubans or the cigar trade in some way. Seems kind of self-destructive to me.

37 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/politics/trump-cuba-announcement/index.html 

Interesting article. Trump announced new restrictions on Cuban cigars, rum, travel, and other things. This is weird as he announced that a Cuban-American woman was on his shortlist for the Supreme Court, and how Florida, a key battleground state, has close connections to Cuba as many of them are related to or descended from Cubans or the cigar trade in some way. Seems kind of self-destructive to me.

And he owns a resort in Cuba, which makes it really weird.

I used to be a heavy chainsmoker, at my peak I would smoke between 1-2 packs of cigarettes a day; I used to smoke cigars as well though.  You can find authentic Cubans outside of Cuba if you know the right places to look, but as OP said, most are knock offs, especially if they are being sold in tourist areas.

Montecristo, Romeo & Juliet, Cohiba, there are many quality namebrands to choose from if cigar smoking is something that you enjoy.  I personally used to inhale when I would smoke them, probably because I was primarily a cigarette smoker that just used to enjoy a good cigar every now and then.

I personally quit the habit a while back, it was truly one of the hardest things that I have ever done.  The first couple of months off of cigarettes were truly horrendous, I had weird migraine headaches tormenting me for quite a while.  The cravings to smoke only went away six months later.  However, I ended up substituting nicotine for caffeine, my coffee consumption went up substantially after I quit. 

I must say that it is one of the best decisions that I have ever made, you never realize how much money you spend on smoking until you quit.  Plus, it is nice to exercise without turning borderline asthmatic from all of the tar in your lungs.

I'm not going to judge anyone for the habit, I was the biggest chainsmoker around when I used to partake in it, but I do believe that it is a negative in today's society.  In previous eras, no one ever knew about the health risks, but there is no way to feign ignorance today.  I personally wouldn't care if a President smoked or not, but I think that it would be a bad example to set for young people watching.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CPE said:

I used to be a heavy chainsmoker, at my peak I would smoke between 1-2 packs of cigarettes a day; I used to smoke cigars as well though.  You can find authentic Cubans outside of Cuba if you know the right places to look, but as OP said, most are knock offs, especially if they are being sold in tourist areas.

Montecristo, Romeo & Juliet, Cohiba, there are many quality namebrands to choose from if cigar smoking is something that you enjoy.  I personally used to inhale when I would smoke them, probably because I was primarily a cigarette smoker that just used to enjoy a good cigar every now and then.

I personally quit the habit a while back, it was truly one of the hardest things that I have ever done.  The first couple of months off of cigarettes were truly horrendous, I had weird migraine headaches tormenting me for quite a while.  The cravings to smoke only went away six months later.  However, I ended up substituting nicotine for caffeine, my coffee consumption went up substantially after I quit. 

I must say that it is one of the best decisions that I have ever made, you never realize how much money you spend on smoking until you quit.  Plus, it is nice to exercise without turning borderline asthmatic from all of the tar in your lungs.

I'm not going to judge anyone for the habit, I was the biggest chainsmoker around when I used to partake in it, but I do believe that it is a negative in today's society.  In previous eras, no one ever knew about the health risks, but there is no way to feign ignorance today.  I personally wouldn't care if a President smoked or not, but I think that it would be a bad example to set for young people watching.

In an interview with Walter Elias Disney in the 1940's, Disney, conscious of his position as a premier children's entertainment producer, said to the interviewer, using a third person reference to himself quite commonly used in that day when referring to people who effectively had different public and private personae, "Walt Disney doesn't smoke, but I smoke, Walt Disney doesn't drink, but drink." Disney died of throat cancer (a tell-tale smokers' death along with lung cancer and emphyzema) in 1962.

• Upvote 1