ThePotatoWalrus

Cigar Poll  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy premium cigars?

• I usually smoke 1-2 a day, or more
    • I'll enjoy a couple a week
    • Rarely, once every month or two
    • Maybe a couple a year
    • I'll smoke them during celebratory events when offered one (weddings, childbirth, etc.), but not on my own
    • No, but I've tried them before
    • No, and i'm not interested in them
    • Other
  2. 2. Is cigar-smoking a positive or negative trait for a president? (Select all that may apply)

• Yes, it's a sign of patience, precision, and keeps stress in check
    • Yes, but only in moderation
    • It's irrelevant/doesn't mean much either way
    • No, cigar-smoking is out of touch with common people
    • No, cigar-smoking is a bad trait for a role model
    • No, cigar-smoking takes up too much time from a president's schedule
    • Other (Explain below)

I've been smoking cigars ever since I took a vacation to a Caribbean island outside of Cuba. At the age of 16 I was never interested in cigars, but due to the islands lack of a smoking age, the drinking age being 16, Cubans being legal there, and the fact that I won the genetic lottery and was born a boy (thus being free of parental responsibility), I bought four cuban cigars and a six pack and sat on the beach smoking them all (somehow I didn't get sick).

I realize now that the cubans were probably overpriced fakes, but ever since then I've had a fully-stocked humidor of various cigars in my shelf for years and at the end of the day I like lighting one up and sitting out back by the pool, if i'm not sharing one with somebody (most of the best conversations i've had with people were cigar-smokers). I use it as a way to de-stress and relax, especially after work, something I think is especially necessary in our current political climate. Had I never taken that trip, I would still think cigars were for rich assholes and crooked politicians (which are usually the same people). I don't smoke cigarettes, I don't drink more than half a shot of whiskey/cognac (just to slowly sip on, I don't pound shots), and I don't do any drugs. I take it in moderation.

Moreover, I think that cigars are a sign of a patience man. It takes slow precision to cut it right (if you cut it too much you could unravel the whole thing) patience to light it (if you light it too fast it'll taste like ash), and focus to smoke it (if you smoke too fast it'll get hot and burn quickly, and also taste harsh, and if you go too slow, it'll go out), all of these things, if done right, reward the user with what should be a pleasant, relaxing, tasty (if your palate enjoys cigars), smoke.

In order to make this post more relevant to the forum, I would also like to say that I wish we had more cigar-smoking presidents in our history. For the reasons cited above, I think cigars (along with beards, pipes, double-edge safety razors, etc.), are signs of patience, which most can agree is a good trait for a president. Cigar smoking presidents include the ones I know off of the top of my head (listed below), and i'm sure there were many more.

Ulysses S. Grant
Theodore Roosevelt (I think he did, but i'm not 100% sure)
Calvin Coolidge (a very patient president, in my opinion)
John F. Kennedy (famously ordered hundreds of cubans the day before he signed the embargo)
Richard Nixon
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush (but he didn't like being photographed)

These are just my thoughts. Sorry if this is too off-topic, but I was curious if the political community shared similar thoughts on cigars, given their association with politicians, plus we could all use a break from world news every once in a while.

My other for #2 is that it is unhealthy and in that sense it is negative. Ultimately, I don't care if a president smokes cigars, pot, or fish, so long as they have a good platform, can enact it well and efficiently, are knowledgeable and intelligent, and can show a sincere connection and empathy with people during difficult times. 

As for me, I've never smokes a cigar or cigarette. I don't care if other people do. I've just never had the urge to do so. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, vcczar said:

My other for #2 is that it is unhealthy and in that sense it is negative. Ultimately, I don't care if a president smokes cigars, pot, or fish, so long as they have a good platform, can enact it well and efficiently, are knowledgeable and intelligent, and can show a sincere connection and empathy with people during difficult times. 

As for me, I've never smokes a cigar or cigarette. I don't care if other people do. I've just never had the urge to do so. 

That's fair. Do you know if Theodore Roosevelt smoked cigars? I've heard he did as a child but idk if that's an urban legend.

15 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I've been smoking cigars ever since I took a vacation to a Caribbean island outside of Cuba. At the age of 16 I was never interested in cigars, but due to the islands lack of a smoking age, the drinking age being 16, Cubans being legal there, and the fact that I won the genetic lottery and was born a boy (thus being free of parental responsibility), I bought four cuban cigars and a six pack and sat on the beach smoking them all (somehow I didn't get sick).

I realize now that the cubans were probably overpriced fakes, but ever since then I've had a fully-stocked humidor of various cigars in my shelf for years and at the end of the day I like lighting one up and sitting out back by the pool, if i'm not sharing one with somebody (most of the best conversations i've had with people were cigar-smokers). I use it as a way to de-stress and relax, especially after work, something I think is especially necessary in our current political climate. Had I never taken that trip, I would still think cigars were for rich assholes and crooked politicians (which are usually the same people). I don't smoke cigarettes, I don't drink more than half a shot of whiskey/cognac (just to slowly sip on, I don't pound shots), and I don't do any drugs. I take it in moderation.

Moreover, I think that cigars are a sign of a patience man. It takes slow precision to cut it right (if you cut it too much you could unravel the whole thing) patience to light it (if you light it too fast it'll taste like ash), and focus to smoke it (if you smoke too fast it'll get hot and burn quickly, and also taste harsh, and if you go too slow, it'll go out), all of these things, if done right, reward the user with what should be a pleasant, relaxing, tasty (if your palate enjoys cigars), smoke.

In order to make this post more relevant to the forum, I would also like to say that I wish we had more cigar-smoking presidents in our history. For the reasons cited above, I think cigars (along with beards, pipes, double-edge safety razors, etc.), are signs of patience, which most can agree is a good trait for a president. Cigar smoking presidents include the ones I know off of the top of my head (listed below), and i'm sure there were many more.

Ulysses S. Grant
Theodore Roosevelt (I think he did, but i'm not 100% sure)
Calvin Coolidge (a very patient president, in my opinion)
John F. Kennedy (famously ordered hundreds of cubans the day before he signed the embargo)
Richard Nixon
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush (but he didn't like being photographed)

These are just my thoughts. Sorry if this is too off-topic, but I was curious if the political community shared similar thoughts on cigars, given their association with politicians, plus we could all use a break from world news every once in a while.

I absolutely do NOT love cigars. I love my lungs. And I love have spending money that's not guaranteed to go down the toilet for an addiction that just destroys me over time.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I absolutely do NOT love cigars. I love my lungs.

Was waiting for this response lol. I'm sure you know that 99% of people don't inhale cigars, but I respect your opinion regardless.

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That's fair. Do you know if Theodore Roosevelt smoked cigars? I've heard he did as a child but idk if that's an urban legend.

I don't know if he ever did or not. It wouldn't surprise me anyway. I do know that he drank a gallon of coffee a day, which might be about 40 cups of coffee. I used to drink 12 cups a day in undergrad and that made me probably really difficult to be around. I was like Robin Williams hyper. I never stopped talking, rarely stopped moving, and I wasn't talking gibberish. It be talking about US history, literature, Napoleon, architecture, astronomy, chess, etc. at about 200 miles per hour in a coffee shop. That was 2001-2004. About 2004 to 2005, I think I cut down to about 7 cups, which toned me down greatly. I think 5 cups was my grad school normal. I drank 3 to 5 when I lived in NYC. I went to about 3 cups when I moved to Austin. Stayed at 3 (sometimes up to 5) here in Philadelphia pre-Covid. Since Covid, I drink anywhere from 0 to 2 cups. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't know if he ever did or not. It wouldn't surprise me anyway. I do know that he drank a gallon of coffee a day, which might be about 40 cups of coffee. I used to drink 12 cups a day in undergrad and that made me probably really difficult to be around. I was like Robin Williams hyper. I never stopped talking, rarely stopped moving, and I wasn't talking gibberish. It be talking about US history, literature, Napoleon, architecture, astronomy, chess, etc. at about 200 miles per hour in a coffee shop. That was 2001-2004. About 2004 to 2005, I think I cut down to about 7 cups, which toned me down greatly. I think 5 cups was my grad school normal. I drank 3 to 5 when I lived in NYC. I went to about 3 cups when I moved to Austin. Stayed at 3 (sometimes up to 5) here in Philadelphia pre-Covid. Since Covid, I drink anywhere from 0 to 2 cups. 

I got really into black coffee at the start of COVID. Not for utility or anything, but because I enjoyed picking out the taste notes in each different origin (I personally enjoyed Sumatran), though I've recently bought a kettle and teapot and switched to loose leaf tea now mostly (black and green.)

That was part of the reason I smoke pipes and cigars and sip on scotch/irish/bourbons and cognacs is to train my palate to pick up as many flavors as possible by picking out super subtle notes in each one. On the other side though, Kraft mac and cheese, which used to be my favorite is tasteless now (even more than usual).

But to add to the Teddy Roosevelt thing, I read specifically somewhere that his dad forced him to smoke several cigars a day to treat his asthma, which doesn't sound too far-fetched because at the time people believed that cigarettes could treat Tuberculosis.

6 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I got really into black coffee at the start of COVID. Not for utility or anything, but because I enjoyed picking out the taste notes in each different origin (I personally enjoyed Sumatran), though I've recently bought a kettle and teapot and switched to loose leaf tea now mostly (black and green.)

That was part of the reason I smoke pipes and cigars and sip on scotch/irish/bourbons and cognacs is to train my palate to pick up as many flavors as possible by picking out super subtle notes in each one. On the other side though, Kraft mac and cheese, which used to be my favorite is tasteless now (even more than usual).

But to add to the Teddy Roosevelt thing, I read specifically somewhere that his dad forced him to smoke several cigars a day to treat his asthma, which doesn't sound too far-fetched because at the time people believed that cigarettes could treat Tuberculosis.

I started drinking coffee regularly when I was twelve years old (that was 1988). But, I have never indulged in any other recreational psychoactive drugs, be they legal ones like alcohol, tobacco, or (now) cannabis, or illegal ones, like cocaine and crude variants (like crack), opiates, halucinogens, amphetamines and more nasty refined variants (like crystal meth), and much more noxious and more recent synthetic crap. I don't even have a significant or notable sweet tooth.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Patine said:

I started drinking coffee regularly when I was twelve years old (that was 1988). But, I have never indulged in any other recreational psychoactive drugs, be they legal ones like alcohol, tobacco, or (now) cannabis, or illegal ones, like cocaine and crude variants like crack, opiates, halucinogens, aphetemines and more nasty refined variant (like crystal meth), and much more noxious and more recent synthetic crap. I don't even have a significant or notable sweet tooth.

If there's one thing me and you can agree on, it's that McDonald's has some pretty good coffee.

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I've read about cigars as an old time asthma cure. 

I drank black coffee primarily to keep myself at peak alertness. If I put anything in my coffee I drank it too quickly, so I kept it black. My favorite state is to be at peak alertness. I don't like being drowsy unless I want to go to sleep. I don't like being buzzed unless I'm forced to socialize when I don't want to. I don't like to eat when I'm working on projects because digesting food sometimes makes me drowsy. 

I'm at peak or near peak alertness about 15 minutes after waking up. Then again about 12 hours later. I'm most alert once I've gone 24 hours without sleep. I seem to hit some sort of sleep deprivation high that makes me especially creative and a tune with things I know. I once went 3 days without sleep in my 12 cups of coffee days. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

If there's one thing me and you can agree on, it's that McDonald's has some pretty good coffee.

Yes, McDonald's and Tim Horton's are currently the best big chain fast food places where I live in terms of coffee served. However, I find McDonald's food to be utterly inedible slop.

Just now, Patine said:

Yes, McDonald's and Tim Horton's are currently the best big chain fast food places where I live in terms of coffee served. However, I find McDonald's food to be utterly inedible slop.

I never drink chain coffee. I go to non-chain, independent coffee shops. I'll go to Starbucks if I have to choose a chain because at least coffee is their specialty. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I've read about cigars as an old time asthma cure. 

I drank black coffee primarily to keep myself at peak alertness. If I put anything in my coffee I drank it too quickly, so I kept it black. My favorite state is to be at peak alertness. I don't like being drowsy unless I want to go to sleep. I don't like being buzzed unless I'm forced to socialize when I don't want to. I don't like to eat when I'm working on projects because digesting food sometimes makes me drowsy. 

I'm at peak or near peak alertness about 15 minutes after waking up. Then again about 12 hours later. I'm most alert once I've gone 24 hours without sleep. I seem to hit some sort of sleep deprivation high that makes me especially creative and a tune with things I know. I once went 3 days without sleep in my 12 cups of coffee days. 

3 days?? Damn son. Did you have a favorite type of black coffee?

Just now, vcczar said:

I never drink chain coffee. I go to non-chain, independent coffee shops. I'll go to Starbucks if I have to choose a chain because at least coffee is their specialty. 

You should give McDonald's a go sometime. It's surprisingly good. But I also prefer Dunkin over Starbucks 

I have to disagree with you there. Starbuck's is overpriced and foul-tasting coffee.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

You should give McDonald's a go sometime. It's surprisingly good. But I also prefer Dunkin over Starbucks 

Dunkin Donuts doesn't exist in Canada. Neither does Krispy Kreme. Both tried a business expansion or two over the years into Canada, but it always quickly became quite apparent they just could not even remotely compete with Tim Horton's, and the Canadian Market always gave them a cold shoulder.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I have to disagree with you there. Starbuck's is overpriced and foul-tasting coffee.

Not sure if they have one up there, but have you tried Dunkin's before? I find it especially higher-quality than Starbucks, which I avoid like the plague.

EDIT: Nevermind you just answered right as I posted this.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Dunkin Donuts doesn't exist in Canada. Neither does Krispy Kreme. Both tried a business expansion or two over the years into Canada, but it always quickly became quite apparent they just could not even remotely compete with Tim Horton's, and the Canadian Market always gave them a cold shoulder.

Though I am surprised you dislike Starbucks, as it is Oregon-based, and we in the US consider Oregon like a mini-Canada (along with Minnesota and sometimes Washington)

7 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

3 days?? Damn son. Did you have a favorite type of black coffee?

Yeah, on the third day I felt like I had kicked the addiction of sleep or something. I didn't even feel remotely tired. I remember I saved an armadillo from a swimming pool using a floatation device. Believe it or not I didn't hallucinate that. I did hallucinate later. At one point I sat down for the first time in like 20 hours. I felt the blood rush to my head. All of a sudden I saw contemporary me talking to a 5 year old me, giving me life advice. I knew it wasn't real, but at that point, I realized I should probably try and go to sleep or something bad might happen. I laid on the bed with the lights out. I thought it wouldn't fall asleep anytime soon. Again, I felt the blood rush to my head. Then I saw a floating translucent apple that was perpetually melting but never reducing in size. It then turned into a a translucent protean woman that was also melting. Different types of female body parts would change shapes from time to time as if she were trying to become all attractive women at once. I remembered grabbing around on the floor trying to find a notebook or a pencil, but I didn't want to look away because I thought the vision would end if I did. I could find a notebook or pen. A few seconds after that I just fell asleep. 

After that I still had 24 hours + without sleep, but never made it to even 2 days without sleep. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, on the third day I felt like I had kicked the addiction of sleep or something. I didn't even feel remotely tired. I remember I saved an armadillo from a swimming pool using a floatation device. Believe it or not I didn't hallucinate that. I did hallucinate later. At one point I sat down for the first time in like 20 hours. I felt the blood rush to my head. All of a sudden I saw contemporary me talking to a 5 year old me, giving me life advice. I knew it wasn't real, but at that point, I realized I should probably try and go to sleep or something bad might happen. I laid on the bed with the lights out. I thought it wouldn't fall asleep anytime soon. Again, I felt the blood rush to my head. Then I saw a floating translucent apple that was perpetually melting but never reducing in size. It then turned into a a translucent protean woman that was also melting. Different types of female body parts would change shapes from time to time as if she were trying to become all attractive women at once. I remembered grabbing around on the floor trying to find a notebook or a pencil, but I didn't want to look away because I thought the vision would end if I did. I could find a notebook or pen. A few seconds after that I just fell asleep. 

After that I still had 24 hours + without sleep, but never made it to even 2 days without sleep. 

That's actually super interesting. I've only hallucinated spiders and stuff like that, but could never see them clearly and only on the outside of my vision, though I only reached like two days sans sleep.

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

That's actually super interesting. I've only hallucinated spiders and stuff like that, but could never see them clearly and only on the outside of my vision, though I only reached like two days sans sleep.

I've hallucinated a lot of things without any drugs other than coffee, sleep deprivation, not wearing my glasses before I got lasik, and misreading stuff because I read it to fast or misheard something because I wasn't fulling listening to a nearby conversation. 

• Upvote 1