270soft Forum

GOP Desperation Move?

vcczar

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517698-senate-gop-aims-to-have-trump-scotus-pick-confirmed-on-oct-29-report

I'm wondering if holding the hearings on Oct 12th and holding the vote on Oct 29th is mainly die a roll in hopes that it energizes their party more than it energizes opposition. Regardless, it is risky. 

Part of the plan might be that delaying it any further allows for the possibility of Kelly taking over McSally's seat, which means Democrats would need to change the mind of one more US Senator to block a vote, assuming Collins and Murkowski keep their word. 

If I were the Dems, I'd bring forth some questions on the nominee that are so explosive of their credibility that it might expand the period of hearing the nominee and delay the vote or potentially force Trump to withdraw the nominee for fear of losing support on election day, if opinion sides against the judicial nominee. This might be the Dems best shot at saving the spot for Biden to fill. 

52 minutes ago, vcczar said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517698-senate-gop-aims-to-have-trump-scotus-pick-confirmed-on-oct-29-report

I'm wondering if holding the hearings on Oct 12th and holding the vote on Oct 29th is mainly die a roll in hopes that it energizes their party more than it energizes opposition. Regardless, it is risky. 

Part of the plan might be that delaying it any further allows for the possibility of Kelly taking over McSally's seat, which means Democrats would need to change the mind of one more US Senator to block a vote, assuming Collins and Murkowski keep their word. 

If I were the Dems, I'd bring forth some questions on the nominee that are so explosive of their credibility that it might expand the period of hearing the nominee and delay the vote or potentially force Trump to withdraw the nominee for fear of losing support on election day, if opinion sides against the judicial nominee. This might be the Dems best shot at saving the spot for Biden to fill. 

Who are Kelly and McSally.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Who are Kelly and McSally.

McSally is the Senator of AZ who was appointed to fill a vacancy. She's destined to lose to the Democrat Kelly. Since she was appointed and not elected, he apparently takes his seat soon after he wins the election. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Not a desperation move.  The smartest move.  GOP thinks short-term and long-term.

This is their best shot to cement a conservative majority on the Supreme Court for years.  Why risk waiting until after election day when there might be a President-Elect Biden?

GInsburg wanted to wait for a female President (Hillary) to pick her successor before retiring.  She lost that gamble with devastating consequences.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Collins and Murkowski will be against until their votes actually matter. Then they will decide trump has “learned his lesson” like last time.

• Upvote 1