270soft Forum

And the Last Trump Shall Sound

Wiw

Shit are we writing fanfics now?

”The year is 2024. After winning the election with 69% of the popular vote Trump made abortion illegal. However, the liberal states seceded from the union to protest this move. Trump sent in the army and also invaded Canada for the maple syrup. When Manhattan fell to the Trump forces California nuked most of America. Sadly, Trump and many other politicians died in the blast. The only survivors were BernieBot who let the Resistance in Vermont, Mike “Christ on Earth” Pence who led the Holy American Empire, and The Obamacrons who brutally oppressed the Midwest. In the end Pence won the war by discovering Obama’s last name and calling Bernie a libtard. Pence changed the constitution and reworked the National Anthem.”

”All Hail White Christian America. All Hail Mike Pence.”

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

Shit are we writing fanfics now?

”The year is 2024. After winning the election with 69% of the popular vote Trump made abortion illegal. However, the liberal states seceded from the union to protest this move. Trump sent in the army and also invaded Canada for the maple syrup. When Manhattan fell to the Trump forces California nuked most of America. Sadly, Trump and many other politicians died in the blast. The only survivors were BernieBot who let the Resistance in Vermont, Mike “Christ on Earth” Pence who led the Holy American Empire, and The Obamacrons who brutally oppressed the Midwest. In the end Pence won the war by discovering Obama’s last name and calling Bernie a libtard. Pence changed the constitution and reworked the National Anthem.”

”All Hail White Christian America. All Hail Mike Pence.”

Talk about phoned in. That crap will never sell. People want to read over-the-top, unrealistic, wahoo fiction for escapism, not to drag them back to overdone and exaggerated issues in RL.

6 hours ago, Mark_W said:

If you take 'a second COVID pandemic', to mean a second wave, then I'd cut it just before they declare it kills Trump. Because that's happening as we speak.

If I was from Scotland I'd be voting for independence. The vote last time was fairly close, and since then in our infinite wisdom south of the border we've taken them out of the European Union and given Boris Johnson a landslide majority to work with in parliament. Fears around EU membership have gone, and there's economic fears in or out now. The SNP performance in Scotland makes a vote quite likely, and I'd imagine the next one will definitely be closer than the last.

Highly doubt that there will another independence referendum for Scotland any time soon, not with the Tories in power at least.  I don't see a path for Labour to obtain a majority any time soon either, any chance of them forming a government is going to more than likely rest of the backs of the SNP following their collapse in Scotland a decade or so ago.  Are UK voters going to endorse Labour knowing that more than likely they will be forced into holding another referendum?  I doubt it personally, and even more so due to their recent leadership struggles.  They have to rebrand themselves big time to become competitive again.

The issue of Scottish independence is very similar to that of Quebec separatism in Canada; its not about actually achieving Independence, the threat of separatism is just a tool to extort the national government for more funding and investment into the region.  To be honest, most Quebec parties have dropped the issue of separatism entirely and have adopted a more regionalist based approach.  An independent nation of Scotland would have a hard time surviving on its own in current form; there would either need to be a massive upsurge in income, or a sharp reduction in social programs to make it financially following exit from the United Kingdom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

No, it’s okay because this time Canadians will be happier about it.  I decided.  ;c)

I trust and have faith in your decisions on such lofty and heady matters about as much as you probably trust mine, or either of us trust Trump's. ;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Patine said:

This is the same author who wrote a series of novels where the Confederacy wins the U.S. Civil War, SOMEHOW doesn't become an international pariah because of the growingly globally unpopular practice of slavery, is able to sell it's cotton abroad with the slave labour taint to it's brand enough to be prosperous (despite the historical fact that they would have actually been economically doomed even if they had maintained independence because the Khedive of Egypt of opportunistically selling cotton with the slave labour stain abroad at higher bulk and more competitive prices near the end of the Civil War), and this Confederacy proceeded to defeat the U.S. again in two of the next three wars between them afterward in his series. Turtledove also wrote even more blatantly science-fiction stuff, like reptilians aliens invading Earth during WW2, forcing an alliance of convenience between the "Big Five," belligerent powers of the war (the British Empire, the U.S. the USSR, Germany, and Japan - what poor timing to make a conventional, if high-tech, invasion of Earth at a time of it's greatest military readiness and activity and when it had it's highest percentage of it's population under arms in it's recorded history), or South African pro-Apartheid extremists traveling back in time to give Robert E. Lee bucketloads of AK-47's (despite South African Apartheid-era never using that model of firearm and associating it strongly with Black African Marxist and Nationalist Revolutionaries) so he can, you can guessed, win the U.S. Civil War. This is the kind of garbage Turtledove writes, with a disturbing and perceptive authorial bias.

vikingplanes.jpg.7cb32a73d2f7999aafa21ab8ef642a94.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I was making fun of admin’s declaration that Californians would be happier if they separated from the US.

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I think most provinces in Canada would be happier if they separated from Canada. Not trying to say bad things about the States.

I think that fact is a lot of Canadian Provinces AND American States are unhappy with how their respective Federal Governments are managing things - moreso probably a reflection of the many flaws of the two respective Federal Governments and how they operate in general than any "delusional grievances," by individual Provinces or States - there are real concerns here, and both the Canadian and American Federal Governments have long shown attitudes of arrogance, detachment, being out of touch, and regional mismanagement and misapportionment, to be frank. There are indeed a number of Provinces and States, or small clusters thereof, that would be actually be happier without a lot of what the two countries' Federal policies and overarching authority and principals. Now, obviously, @Actinguy, as you've mentioned being most affiliated in your life with Pennsylvania and Ohio, which are anything but the type of States I'm referring to (hard-Unionist States, effectively, with no reason to consider otherwise), you probably don't fully understand the reasons or grievances behind the secessionist movements that exist States like California, Texas, the Cascadian (often considering union with the Canadian Province of British Columbia as an independent nation), Hawaii, Alaska, the New England States, the proposed Republic of Lakotah, and, admittedly, the Deep South. However, lack of understanding should not lead to ridicule or arrogant presumptions - lest you descend to the levels of @servo75 in that attitude. So, indeed, however much you may make light of the issue, there are Americans who believe - and have more than just smoke and mirrors to back such belief that there State would be happier independent from the Union. And it's not like the U.S. is the happiest nation on Earth anyways (it doesn't event crack the top 20 - and I believe THE happiest is Denmark, Iceland, or Costa Rica, anyways - a lot of Americans have a tendency to be habitually miserable, or hadn't you noticed?).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1