270soft Forum

A Letter to the Democratic Party

Republicans will hate what I'm going to write. I bet a lot of moderate Democrats will as well. Keep in mind - I'm no leftist Democrat, wouldn't vote for Bernie in the primary (definitely would in general though), not a supporter of M4A, have serious reservations about the Green New Deal.

This morning, I woke up tired. Tired of all of this mess that we went through year-in and year-out. The losses we've suffered. I woke up defeated - again. Somehow, this one hurt more than the rest. We lost a fighter, an icon of the liberal movement. Give yourself a day to mourn and wallow. But tomorrow, she wouldn't want us to stop fighting. She wouldn't want us to lay down our arms and keel over. She would want us to continue the fight, harder and more passionate than ever before. 

After that, it progressed to angry. Angry because of all the loops and shit that Democrats have to go through to win. We've taken the popular vote every time since 1992 with one sole exception (2004). Yet, in that time, we have lost the presidency twice while we have won the popular vote - within 20 years. It's time for Democrats to bring real change. And we shouldn't expect Republicans to help - this system wholeheartedly benefits them. Eliminate the Electoral College. Enact compulsory voting. A path to citizenship. The end of the filibuster. The end of plurality rule elections. DC and Puerto Rico statehood. Transfer power from the Senate to the House (which is more representative of the people). End gerrymandering.

We have to stop kidding ourselves that Republicans will ever support any of that reform. They never hoped Democrats would when they stopped Garland, or when they enacted that tax bill, or tried to end the ACA. Obama spent a year trying to get Republicans on board. He wasted vital time. Did Republicans ever try to get a single Democratic vote on their repeal? No. They knew what they were doing. We all knew. 

We need to recognize that Republicans win because they won't fight fair. It must make some Democrats proud to be the party of decent government that has to step in every couple elections to clean up this mess. On the other hand, it's demoralizing and depressing. Must we watch this country we love (and that votes for us) be thrown back 20-30 years because of stolen elections and stolen Court seats? Republicans will NEVER pass up the opportunity to appoint a SC Justice. Democrats cannot fool themselves by thinking that they will stick to something as flimsy as their word. Republicans recognize one thing that Democrats don't: Power is Power. It doesn't matter how you exercise it, that's all that matters in the end. Fighting fair gets us nowhere. It's time to fight as dirty and as hard as they do. It's the only way we will ever win. It's time to dig into the trenches and fight for the future we believe in. It's what RBG would want us to do.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Isn't there an election happening right now?  Your letter should first counsel Democrats to support and campaign for Senate seats across the country and win a majority in Congress in addition to controlling the White House.

Otherwise, nothing of what you write will happpen.

Just now, Jayavarman said:

Isn't there an election happening right now?  Your letter should first counsel Democrats to support and campaign for Senate seats across the country and win a majority in Congress in addition to controlling the White House.

Otherwise, nothing of what you write will happpen.

You can walk and chew gum 😉

This was more cathartic than anything. Didn't know where else to put it 

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

You can walk and chew gum 😉

This was more cathartic than anything. Didn't know where else to put it 

Yeah, but I see this from most Democrats every time something bad or outrageous happens.  Hands go up in the air, tears are shed, protests are demanded.

But when I ask for campaign volunteer sign-up, community involvement, contributions, etc. that will actually change the world: silence.

(been working at this since 2016 and earlier)

• Upvote 1
Just now, Jayavarman said:

Yeah, but I see this from most Democrats every time something bad or outrageous happens.  Hands go up in the air, tears are shed, protests are demanded.

But when I ask for campaign volunteer sign-up, community involvement, contributions, etc. that will actually change the world: silence.

(been working at this since 2016 and earlier)

Ive always been a proponent of down ballot races so I wholeheartedly agree.

One could argue that Democrats would have won the PV in 2004 of not for voter suppression in stated like OH and FL. There’s debate on how many votes were invalid that shouldn’t have been. 

As for RBG, she’s the best justice in my lifetime. Yet, I didn’t mourn for a second. Instantly, I knew what this meant for the future of the court and that it needs to be stopped. A survival instinct kicked in. 

Democrats could have supermajorities in both houses of Congress and won’t be able to do much with 6 conservative judges. They’d need supermajorities in the state governments to make fairness-based amendments. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, vcczar said:

One could argue that Democrats would have won the PV in 2004 of not for voter suppression in stated like OH and FL. There’s debate on how many votes were invalid that shouldn’t have been. 

As for RBG, she’s the best justice in my lifetime. Yet, I didn’t mourn for a second. Instantly, I knew what this meant for the future of the court and that it needs to be stopped. A survival instinct kicked in. 

Democrats could have supermajorities in both houses of Congress and won’t be able to do much with 6 conservative judges. They’d need supermajorities in the state governments to make fairness-based amendments. 

Yeah good luck stopping it.  A very hard lesson which you still havent learned is the Democrats need to quit with nominating this old disconnected party loyalist and expecting to force them onto the American people. Clinton was a terrible choice and yall were very nasty in trying to force her onto us. You lost thankfully and instead of learning from it continue to do the same shit. The result? Republicans got to packed about 40% of the lower courts the past 4 years and will have 3 SCOTUS in 4 years.

Enjoy a right wing reformed court system. You guys earned it.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Lost me at 'compulsory voting'. Nobody should be forced to vote. Not voting is just as legitimate as actually voting.

I disagree. If you want to vote for yourself or somebody else not on the ballot because you don't approve of any of the candidates that's perfectly valid, but voting is a civic duty. 

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

I disagree. If you want to vote for yourself or somebody else not on the ballot because you don't approve of any of the candidates that's perfectly valid, but voting is a civic duty. 

Or just leave columns blank if you don't want to vote for President. Just cast a ballot for sheriff or local officials if that's all you're comfortable with. 

1 minute ago, jnewt said:

You can easily reconcile these by having private paper ballots (have to show up, but no way to enforce actually voting, as Australia does) or have another option on the ballot ('none of the above').

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Fair point. I myself like everyone else on this forum would probably vote regardless, but I personally don't like the government forcing anyone to do anything. Maybe I would agree with it wasn't heavily enforced and there weren't severe penalties for it. It is a God-given blessing to have to freedom to vote for our leaders and representatives, but that freedom should also include the freedom to not vote. Plus a lot of people simply don't want to take the time to inform themselves, or don't have the time to go to the polls, and I would prefer that these people who aren't informed and have no desire to vote aren't just picking random candidates to rush through it.

25 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

You can easily reconcile these by having private paper ballots (have to show up, but no way to enforce actually voting, as Australia does) or have another option on the ballot ('none of the above').

I’m still really uncomfortable with forcing people to show up. I barely like it when it comes to jury duty lmao. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I’m still really uncomfortable with forcing people to show up. I barely like it when it comes to jury duty lmao. 

Agree. Jury duty was one of the reasons I was wary about getting registered to vote lmao.

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

What happens if you don't pay it?

If you don't show up to vote, and you don't give a valid reason, you are assessed a fine ($20 AUS). If you then refuse to pay the fine, you may be referred to a court.

5 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Or just leave columns blank if you don't want to vote for President. Just cast a ballot for sheriff or local officials if that's all you're comfortable with. 

That's what I'm doing this year 

4 hours ago, admin_270 said:

If you don't show up to vote, and you don't give a valid reason, you are assessed a fine ($20 AUS). If you then refuse to pay the fine, you may be referred to a court.

What about political shows of electoral boycotts to make clear you won't support rigged elections, or elections where only horrid candidates are running, like opposition parties and coalitions are known to do symbolically in Emerging Democracies and Party-of-Power States. Such mandatory voting laws force one to personally endorse and give their stamp of approval on someone running in every, single election, even in elections where no candidate or party are worthy of support or the election is very much rigged to some degree or another. It also leads to situations like in Austria, which also have mandatory, that you have waste your time and energy voting for a ceremonial, symbolic, and powerless figurehead and mascot that is the Federal President of Austria.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Patine said:

What about political shows of electoral boycotts to make clear you won't support rigged elections, or elections where only horrid candidates are running, like opposition parties and coalitions are known to do symbolically in Emerging Democracies and Party-of-Power States. Such mandatory voting laws force one to personally endorse and give their stamp of approval on someone running in every, single election, even in elections where no candidate or party are worthy of support or the election is very much rigged to some degree or another. It also leads to situations like in Austria, which also have mandatory, that you have waste your time and energy voting for a ceremonial, symbolic, and powerless figurehead and mascot that is the Federal President of Austria.

Could just have a none of these option. 

Just now, Hestia11 said:

Could just have a none of these option. 

If it worked like it did in some of the Post-Soviet States, where literally no candidate won if NOTA won, and a new election for that seat or office (ideally with completely new candidates) were held shortly afterward, that might be fine. But not if it were to be the limp and pointless NOTA option in Nevada.

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

If it worked like it did in some of the Post-Soviet States, where literally no candidate won if NOTA won, and a new election for that seat or office (ideally with completely new candidates) were held shortly afterward, that might be fine. But not if it were to be the limp and pointless NOTA option in Nevada.

@Reagan04, why am I surprised it took this long for @Patine to say that the post-Soviet states had better elections than the US?

25 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

@Reagan04, why am I surprised it took this long for @Patine to say that the post-Soviet states had better elections than the US?

You clearly haven’t known him long enough.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I only said in ONE SPECIFIC area, doorknob! Do not quote my statements that deal with specific features in broad absolutes again! Or maybe you're just too used to braindead, divisive, hive-mind, no-perspective-proportion-or-compromise, absolutist, all-or-nothing, binary politics that steering to socio-political ruin and oblivion in the foreseeable future to recognize such subtleties.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Lost me at 'compulsory voting'. Nobody should be forced to vote. Not voting is just as legitimate as actually voting.

Agreed 100%.  Not participating is a valid form of protest.  If no candidate pleases me, I won't vote at all.  Simple as that.

8 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Just make mention of the term "jury nullification".  You probably will never get called again lol.