270soft Forum

Should Biden debate Trump with Joe Rogan as moderator?

Should Biden debate Trump with Joe Rogan as moderator?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should Biden debate Trump with Joe Rogan as moderator?

• Yes - Rogan would make for a refreshing moderator, and the more debates, the better informed the public.
    • No way - Rogan has shown himself to be biased, likening Biden to a 'a flickering flashlight', and 3 debates is enough.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Sure, and perhaps the right response in a particular situation is to simply adopt the requested name (and pronouns, and ...?).

If someone were to say to your family member "I'm going to continue referring to you as a man, and use your given male name, because I don't believe you actually can transition" then that at least could be intended to be respectful, and not really be intended to be insulting at all. It's expressing that person's real feelings and sincere beliefs about the matter. Perhaps at that point they could enter into a dialogue about something that would work for both parties.

That would not be respectful at all, because if they had respect for the person, they would use the name that the person chose. I don't care if someone's lying about it, just be respectful and kind. Openly saying that you don't agree with the decision they made, and don't believe you are who you say you are is inherently rude and downright condescending. The fact they know that you chose to do that, and they decide not to anyway, is incredibly rude.

• Like 2
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If someone doesn't believe this than they should acquaint themselves with science. I'm not going to accomodate science denialism. I will, however, do my absolute best to help them understand the scien

Stop with the batshit crazy hypotheticals that dont translate to the situation. 

No it's not, it's asking for common decency to treat people the way they want to be treated. You learn that in kindergarten. 

6 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

That would not be respectful at all, because if they had respect for the person, they would use the name that the person chose.

How do you know that? If you decided to change your name to "Periwinkle von Flossy Doss", I would say to you "Sorry bud, I respect you too much to call you that." Respecting someone doesn't mean you agree with everything they do.

3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

How do you know that? If you decided to change your name to "Periwinkle von Flossy Doss", I would say to you "Sorry bud, I respect you too much to call you that." Respecting someone doesn't mean you agree with everything they do.

Its different. Respect others and their decisions. 

• Like 2
Just now, admin_270 said:

Yes, please respect others' choices about how to refer to people.

No because they're being disrespectful and rude. How about you stuff it about issues you dont understand and probably never will? Thanks. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I think the same could be said to you.

Well that was an incredibly disheartening and insulting conversation to read. Its called respecting people's life choices whether you agree with them or not. I think you should reflect on that and read up on the issue a bit because you clearly don't know what you are talking about.  

• Like 2
7 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Respect is a two-way street.

Not when someone is being inherently disrespectful with their view. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Not when someone is being inherently disrespectful with their view. 

You seem to not even be aware of what the problem is here.

Here's a similar situation. If someone claims, as part of their deep-felt identity, that Jesus is Lord, and starts demanding that others refer to Jesus as Lord, and someone says "Sorry, I don't believe that, I'm not going to use terms like 'Lord', or 'A.D.' for that matter" they are not necessarily trying to be inherently disrepectful.

Rather, they have a belief that the person is *incorrect*, and as a matter of personal integrity will not use the terms.

20 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Here's a similar situation. If someone claims, as part of their deep-felt identity, that Jesus is Lord, and starts demanding that others refer to Jesus as Lord, and someone says "Sorry, I don't believe that, I'm not going to use terms like 'Lord', or 'A.D.' for that matter" they are not necessarily trying to be inherently disrepectful.

Rather, they have a belief that the person is *incorrect*, and as a matter of personal integrity will not use the terms.

There isnt a problem because I dont care what their opinions are, its disrespectful.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

But you also seem to not be aware of what the difference is.

You can't force someone to call Christ the King the Lord our Savior as what he actually is, the King the Lord our Savior.

But you can ask that somone respect your personal identity. Folks with gender dysphoria have a mental illness (which is totally ok!) that results from the fact that their brains are stuck in the wrong body. We have studies that show that trans folks have brains more biologically similar to their identified gender than their assigned-sex. Any other time someone has a mental illness, take ADHD, we treat it. We don't tell people "no, you don't have it and you can't make me think you have it and you can't make me respect or accomodate your learning different/ADHD". That would be disastrous, especially in the confines of education. 

But that disaster pales in comparison that the disaster caused by misgendering trans folks can be. It can and does severely damage many people (thankfully many trans folks are used to transphobes being assholes but that's not everyone). Especially when it's a parent or close friend that is purposefully invalidating that person, the mental ramifications can be catastrophic. The reality is that treating gender dysphoria means helping people transition and correcting the dysphoric experience. It's all about helping people embrace their identity, not trying to stuff them into a box which they simply don't fit.

Be kind, respect others identity's and personl experience. Don't be a dick. It's not that hard.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

There isnt a problem because I dont care what their opinions are, its disrespectful.

If Twitter said whenever you reference Jesus in a tweet you have to say "Lord Jesus", you wouldn't care?

If Twitter said whenever you reference Jesus in a tweet you have to say "Lord Jesus", you wouldn't care?

Stop with the batshit crazy hypotheticals that dont translate to the situation. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You don't think it translates, because you don't understand the argument.

I know it doesnt translate because youre biased in the situation. 

I'll try one more time, but I think @Hestia11 isn't engaging in a good faith argument, so it'll be the last time. If someone identified as a cat, felt like a cat, liked to purr all day, curl up in a ball in the sun next to the window, lie down on car hoods on cool days, and so on, and asked you to start calling them a 'cat', would you? Maybe you'd indulge them - or maybe you'd say "You're not a cat."

I'll try one more time, but I think @Hestia11 isn't engaging in a good faith argument, so it'll be the last time. If someone identified as a cat, felt like a cat, liked to purr all day, curl up in a ball in the sun next to the window, lie down on car hoods on cool days, and so on, and asked you to start calling them a 'cat', would you? Maybe you'd indulge them - or maybe you'd say "You're not a cat."

The difference between the two is the weight and science of the entire accredited medical and psychological community is against you and your crazy cat analogies and with us and the real experiences with gender dysphoria that ACTUAL TRANS PEOPLE (not analogies and metaphorical ethereal beings conjured by you to support your arguments) face and live with every day.

• Like 2

Thats downright insulting to suggest its similar to someone saying theyre a cat - a literal animal. Maybe as the admin you should be more mindful of what you say to other people on this forum that impact some members.

• Like 2
Just now, Reagan04 said:

The difference between the two is the weight and science of the entire accredited medical and psychological community is against you and your crazy cat analogies and with us and the real experiences with gender dysphoria that ACTUAL TRANS PEOPLE (not analogies and metaphorical ethereal beings conjured by you to support your arguments) face and live with every day.

You seem to think I'm denying gender dysphoria exists. You don't understand the argument.

In the example, the person *really does* feel like a cat. They have 'species dysphoria', say.

The question isn't whether someone really does feel like they're 'in the wrong body', the question is whether they can change from 'man' to 'woman', say. If someone doesn't believe this is possible, then saying otherwise would be lying.

3 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Thats downright insulting to suggest its similar to someone saying theyre a cat - a literal animal. Maybe as the admin you should be more mindful of what you say to other people on this forum that impact some members.

You've never heard of species dysphoria?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_dysphoria

You've never heard of species dysphoria?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_dysphoria

This, again, is largely a religious belief. Species Dysphoria (Otherkin) is not remotely similar to the medical science surrounding gender dysphoria. Are you specifically trying to get a rise out of people here? What do you gain from antagonizing the trans community in such a demeaing fashion?

• Like 2
Just now, Reagan04 said:

This, again, is largely a religious belief. Species Dysphoria (Otherkin) is not remotely similar to the medical science surrounding gender dysphoria. Are you specifically trying to get a rise out of people here? What do you gain from antagonizing the trans community in such a demeaing fashion?

You're not really grokking it.