Jump to content
270soft Forum

Should Biden debate Trump with Joe Rogan as moderator?


Should Biden debate Trump with Joe Rogan as moderator?  

27 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Biden debate Trump with Joe Rogan as moderator?

    • Yes - Rogan would make for a refreshing moderator, and the more debates, the better informed the public.
      12
    • No way - Rogan has shown himself to be biased, likening Biden to a 'a flickering flashlight', and 3 debates is enough.
      15


Recommended Posts

On 9/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, admin_270 said:

Yes, I have heard this sentiment in various places. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but my guess is there will be debates.

What do you think would be the mechanism to cancel the debates?

I am not sure whether the debates will actually end up being canceled, but I am positive that Biden's campaign staffers would be very receptive to the idea.  If they do end up being canceled, I think that COVID concerns will probably be the main reason why.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If someone doesn't believe this than they should acquaint themselves with science. I'm not going to accomodate science denialism. I will, however, do my absolute best to help them understand the scien

Stop with the batshit crazy hypotheticals that dont translate to the situation. 

No it's not, it's asking for common decency to treat people the way they want to be treated. You learn that in kindergarten. 

2 minutes ago, CPE said:

I am not sure whether the debates will actually end up being canceled, but I am positive that Biden's campaign staffers would be very receptive to the idea.  If they do end up being canceled, I think that COVID concerns will probably be the main reason why.

I have heard some speculate Biden will say he has COVID-19, and therefore can't debate. But I just don't see how general COVID-19 concerns would prevent a debate, especially given he is doing lightly attended events, recently did a town hall, and so on. Some people on the right have painted a caricature of Biden - that he would be a trainwreck while debating, and therefore his campaign will look for any excuse to wriggle out of it - but I think this is not really correct. Biden is generally solid, but then has erratic moments. It is not clear to me that a 'play it safe' strategy would mean skipping debates, because that risks a large backlash. Biden himself probably thinks he's up for the debates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I have heard some speculate Biden will say he has COVID-19, and therefore can't debate. But I just don't see how general COVID-19 concerns would prevent a debate, especially given he is doing lightly attended events, recently did a town hall, and so on. Some people on the right have painted a caricature of Biden - that he would be a trainwreck while debating, and therefore his campaign will look for any excuse to wriggle out of it - but I think this is not really correct. Biden is generally solid, but then has erratic moments. It is not clear to me that a 'play it safe' strategy would mean skipping debates, because that risks a large backlash. Biden himself probably thinks he's up for the debates.

I am not sure it will get to that level of conspiracy where Biden may fake COVID to miss the debates, but I do think it would be beneficial for him to miss them. 

Admittedly, I'm not an MD, but I am certain that Biden is experiencing early onset of dementia at the very least.  If you have ever had a relative with dementia, you would know what I mean : some days are absolutely great, and they are "there", while others it is readily apparent that the person you knew isn't the same anymore.  I personally believe that is where Biden is at, and if he is elected in November, I highly doubt that he finishes his term.  I think it could go about 50/50 for him in a debate, depends on what his mindset is that day, and whether he is taking anything to help him along. 

What struck me in particular was how his demeanor changed during the primary debates, he was invisible for the first few, but by the third (?) or so, he was much more visibly alert and attentive to what was going on.  I don't truly know for sure, but I do believe that he may have started taking something to help him keep it together for the campaign.  He isn't growing younger lol.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CPE said:

I don't truly know for sure, but I do believe that he may have started taking something to help him keep it together for the campaign.

Some believe his doctor has put him on something new which has caused his performance to improve, I have heard Namenda mentioned in particular.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

I have heard some speculate Biden will say he has COVID-19, and therefore can't debate. But I just don't see how general COVID-19 concerns would prevent a debate, especially given he is doing lightly attended events, recently did a town hall, and so on. Some people on the right have painted a caricature of Biden - that he would be a trainwreck while debating, and therefore his campaign will look for any excuse to wriggle out of it - but I think this is not really correct. Biden is generally solid, but then has erratic moments. It is not clear to me that a 'play it safe' strategy would mean skipping debates, because that risks a large backlash. Biden himself probably thinks he's up for the debates.

A Presidential Candidate putting in a "fake sick note." You really getting off-the-wall, here, aren't you? And this certainly isn't the first sort of bizarre comment like that from you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Patine said:

A Presidential Candidate putting in a "fake sick note." You really getting off-the-wall, here, aren't you? And this certainly isn't the first sort of bizarre comment like that from you.

No, I don't think that's likely. I'm just saying I've heard some speculating that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Patine said:

A Presidential Candidate putting in a "fake sick note." You really getting off-the-wall, here, aren't you? And this certainly isn't the first sort of bizarre comment like that from you.

... You seem tone deaf to my comments quite often, TBH. My general point is the opposite of what you're saying here (contrary to what some are saying, I think it's likely Biden wants to debate and will debate).

Care to mention any comments you think are 'bizarre' in specific?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 1:23 PM, admin_270 said:

Thanks for this but ... this is pretty weak tea.

Would you also feel it was "pretty weak tea," if some radio host were, for example, deadnaming racists and misogynists, or would you consider that somehow different, out of curiosity?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Patine said:

Would you also feel it was "pretty weak tea," if some radio host were, for example, deadnaming racists and misogynists, or would you consider that somehow different, out of curiosity?

I don't even understand what this means. Deadname means "to call by that person’s previous name, as opposed to a chosen or preferred name."

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I don't even understand what this means. Deadname means "to call by that person’s previous name, as opposed to a chosen or preferred name."

Ah, I was unfamiliar with the term, to be honest. I though, given the context, meant a "shameless namedrop." In any case, the practice using someone's previous name as opposed to their preferred (and usually changed name, I might add) is really only done for insult and no other reason, however dismissive you are of it. I remember a while ago a rapper was carrying on about only using transpeople's birth names, until someone popped and said they were only going to use the rappers' birthname from then on - not their stagename, which was tied to their whole public persona, what all their albums, songs, and endeavours were under, what they were commonly called, and what they insisted on others calling them - but no, their birthname, and only that. Predictably, said rapper got angry, and went into an incendiary online rant.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patine said:

is really only done for insult and no other reason

That was Rogan's point - he can insult people in all sorts of other ways and not be banned from Twitter, but if he insults someone by using a former name, he can get banned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having said that, there's an obvious reason for using their former name - because you want to express disagreement with the idea that they can change from 'man' to 'woman'. Using the new name is in a way condoning the idea that they have, indeed, changed from a 'him' to a 'her' or what have you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

That was Rogan's point - he can insult people in all sorts of other ways and not be banned from Twitter, but if he insults someone by using a former name, he can get banned.

There are other insults that are over the line. As a rule of thumb, I would say insulting what someone says, does, believes, or fails at is acceptable, but insulting what someone IS should not be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Having said that, there's an obvious reason for using their former name - because you want to express disagreement with the idea that they can change from 'man' to 'woman'. Using the new name is in a way condoning the idea that they have, indeed, changed from a 'him' to a 'her' or what have you.

Well, it's unfortunate the cesspool of the modern public discourse has descended to this pitiful and disgusting low, and you seem to endorse it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Having said that, there's an obvious reason for using their former name - because you want to express disagreement with the idea that they can change from 'man' to 'woman'. Using the new name is in a way condoning the idea that they have, indeed, changed from a 'him' to a 'her' or what have you.

That's insulting, though. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Yes, it's insulting to try to force people to use names like this.

No it's not, it's asking for common decency to treat people the way they want to be treated. You learn that in kindergarten. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hestia11 said:

No it's not, it's asking for common decency to treat people the way they want to be treated. You learn that in kindergarten. 

If Mr. Smith claims to be the King of Persia, and demands you refer to him as "Your Most Eminent and Super Royal Highness, King of Persia" would you? Maybe ... but it's completely decent to say "No, I'm not going to do that ..."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

If Mr. Smith claims to be the King of Persia, and demands you refer to him as "Your Most Eminent and Super Royal Highness, King of Persia" would you? Maybe ... but it's completely decent to say "No, I'm not going to do that ..."

It's not like that and it's insulting to say otherwise. I'm not willing to give an inch because it's a personal issue for me as I have a member of my family who has gone through this, and if they were treated like the way you say is acceptable to treat them, I would be beyond angry. If my conservative grandparents can find it in themselves to accept it (and did so wonderfully, mind you), then people who have no connection or any personal experience with the issue can find it in themselves too. All they have to do is keep their mouths shut and be respectful. That isn't too much to ask.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

It's not like that and it's insulting to say otherwise. I'm not willing to give an inch because it's a personal issue for me as I have a member of my family who has gone through this, and if they were treated like the way you say is acceptable to treat them, I would be beyond angry. If my conservative grandparents can find it in themselves to accept it (and did so wonderfully, mind you), then people who have no connection or any personal experience with the issue can find it in themselves too. All they have to do is keep their mouths shut and be respectful. That isn't too much to ask.

Sure, and perhaps the right response in a particular situation is to simply adopt the requested name (and pronouns, and ...?).

If someone were to say to your family member "I'm going to continue referring to you as a man, and use your given male name, because I don't believe you actually can transition" then that at least could be intended to be respectful, and not really be intended to be insulting at all. It's expressing that person's real feelings and sincere beliefs about the matter. Perhaps at that point they could enter into a dialogue about something that would work for both parties.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...