270soft Forum

State of the Race: 52 Days Left

52 Day poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. See the Data in the First Post: Who do you think wins if the election were today?

2. 2. Woodward caught Trump on tape admitting to the severity of Covid and admitting that he would seek to play the virus down. What more accurately reflects your response?

• This is traitorous on Trump's part!
    • This is traitorous on Woodward's part!
    • This isn't traitorous but it should be criminal on Trump's part!
    • This is taken out of context.
    • Trump doesn't want to cause panic.
    • This isn't criminal or traitorous. Trump is just being honest about not wanting to damage his approval or reelection chances by shutting the entire country down.
    • other (mention below)
  3. 3. Were the 9-11 attacks an inside job?

4. 4. Where were you on Sept 11 2001?

• I wasn't born yet.
    • I was too young to remember.
    • I was a child, but I do remember it.
    • I was in high school.
    • I was in college/university.
    • I was an adult that wasn't in school.
    • I don't remember.
  5. 5. Who would you trust more in handling and responding to a 9/11-like attack on US soil and the response to it?

45 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Believe it if you want guys ... Seems implausible to me he goes from workaholic -> lazy just when he starts the most high profile position in the world.

I don't think he's lazy. I think there's just evidence that whatever workaholic tendencies that he has is not being used effectively as president. A person can be a workaholic and so disorganized that they aren't really effective. He is golfing a lot, watching a lot of TV (He admits to watching almost every TV show on Fox regularly), and overusing Twitter. This sort of contradicts the image of Trump as workaholic. It could be that he is no longer such or that the "Trump as workaholic" is more of a facade than a reality. Maybe someone else is doing his Tweets. Maybe he's lying about watching all those TV shows. Maybe people are lying that he has dangerously few briefings. Maybe he's only golfing one quick hole each time. 

Do I think he's lazy? No. He's probably always gotta be doing something or saying something. I'm similar in this regard. 

Do I think he's a workaholic? I don't know. If he is, he isn't focused on priorities. I could see an argument that he is less of a workaholic than most 21st century presidents. Maybe he was, and he's just getting old. 

Do I think he's terrible at prioritizing and/or that he's disorganized? Yes. 

These last two points could make him about as effective as a lazy, organized person (example -- Coolidge, who slept 12 hours a day).  

47 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Believe it if you want guys ... Seems implausible to me he goes from workaholic -> lazy just when he starts the most high profile position in the world.

I don't believe he was a workaholic before.  Before becoming president he spent 15 years as a reality TV star on The Apprentice, where he was frequently unprepared.  

49 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Maybe someone else is doing his Tweets.

No. Unlike Biden, I'm pretty sure Trump drafts most of his tweets.

Having said that, I have no problem believing Trump tries to minimize meetings and emphasizes unstructured executive time in his schedule and spends a significant amount of that time on the phone. Most meetings are a waste of time, the phone is the primary tool in a President's arsenal for one-on-one communication, and as for tweets ... they are Trump's primary way to speak directly to the public, emphasize or coordinate messaging and strategy in a public way, and reward people who have helped him with attention. As for watching TV ... of course he's going to watch TV. TV is one of the most important media today.

But this line of critique of Trump is nothing new - Reps claimed Obama was lazy as well.

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Can you find anything published before Trump ran for President, which claims he isn't a workaholic?

9 minutes ago, pilight said:

Can you find anything published before he ran for president which claims he is?

I’m more interested in anything credible that claims he’s been a workaholic while as president. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I’m more interested in anything credible that claims he’s been a workaholic while as president. 

Before he became President, according to WP Senior Editor Marc Fisher, who was coauthor of Trump Revealed (2016), "He's an incredible workaholic. Work is his life. What we [Fisher and WP investigative reporter Michael Kranish] found is that even socializing for him was solely for the publicity to build his brand. In many ways he's a lonely and solitary figure."

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/battle-for-white-house/trump-a-solitary-workaholic-biographer-says

https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Revealed-Definitive-Biography-President-ebook/dp/B01E4NF0GC/

As for during his Presidency, really depends on who you find credible.

On 9/12/2020 at 3:56 PM, Hestia11 said:

Or they want you to think it's in play

Trump has now spent 2 consecutive days in Nevada. Pretty big investment in what would amount to a head fake against the other campaign, but it's always possible ...

6 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Trump has now spent 2 consecutive days in Nevada. Pretty big investment in what would amount to a head fake against the other campaign, but it's always possible ...

I'm sure its "in play". Anything less than solid Democratic is in play. But I doubt he's losing by less than 5% there right now.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, admin_270 said:

You can start with The Art of the Deal, which describes the flow of his typical day.

Of course something he wrote himself is going to make him look hard working.  How about something more objective?

11 minutes ago, pilight said:

Of course something he wrote himself is going to make him look hard working.  How about something more objective?

admin and objectivism on Trump aren't exactly complimentary forces

• Like 1
9 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Before he became President, according to WP Senior Editor Marc Fisher, who was coauthor of Trump Revealed (2016), "He's an incredible workaholic. Work is his life. What we [Fisher and WP investigative reporter Michael Kranish] found is that even socializing for him was solely for the publicity to build his brand. In many ways he's a lonely and solitary figure."

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/battle-for-white-house/trump-a-solitary-workaholic-biographer-says

https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Revealed-Definitive-Biography-President-ebook/dp/B01E4NF0GC/

As for during his Presidency, really depends on who you find credible.

I doubt a Trump co-author has much credibility. He could have just forced that in there or the co-author could be flattering him. The workaholic comment would have to come from someone not in his pay or not already part of his cult. 

Same would go for such claims for Biden or obama. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I doubt a Trump co-author has much credibility. He could have just forced that in there or the co-author could be flattering him. The workaholic comment would have to come from someone not in his pay or not already part of his cult. 

Same would go for such claims for Biden or obama. 

No, there were 2 authors of the book - a Washington Post investigative journalist and a WP senior editor.