270soft Forum

Canadian election night recordings

Is it just me or are there not many federal/provincial election night recordings on Youtube that go back more than a couple of elections? It would be interesting to know if there are particular websites that keep them.

1 hour ago, daons said:

Is it just me or are there not many federal/provincial election night recordings on Youtube that go back more than a couple of elections? It would be interesting to know if there are particular websites that keep them.

The 1957 Canadian Federal Election coverage on the CBC (where Diefenbaker got his first minority government against Saint Laurent, breaking 22 years of straight Liberal governance - I did that election as a scenario, myself, sometime ago for the old PM4E2008 game engine) was the first Canadian election whose results, or actually course of campaigning were really televised. Most Provincial elections took quite a while to catch in the televised department because the CBC strongly preferred to cover Federal ones exclusively for a fair amount of time thereafter, and old local TV stations had very limited budgets, and probably didn't produce anything that made it onto YouTube (or tapes that even survived, in quite a few cases).