270soft Forum

Reagan04's 1968-Present Hybrid RP Extravanganza!

Influence: 

Barry Goldwater will ahem  attempt to approach Rockefeller Republicans in New York to try and see if they are even a little bit willing to give him a chance, citing the failures of the Rockefeller campaign and our win in New Hampshire.

Schmooze: 

Barry Goldwater invites bosses representing the Vermont Republican Party for a cozy indoor fireside chat to try and get on their good side.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Influence (3): The dinner results in Nixon spilling A1 sauce on his tie, not very presidential Rally (6): The Governor pumps up turnout and an energized Nixon carries the rest. Rally (4): Tu

*sigh*

Influence George McGovern meets with student groups throughout New Hampshire where he distributes flyers and meets everyone that he can Schmooze McGovern invites New Hampshire Democrats to a priva

Posted Images

McGovern traveled to the Western United States where he stopped in Los Angeles, California

"Hola California! We're going to take our country back and end the War in Vietnam!"

Schmooze

McGovern met with California congressional Democrats over lunch where they talk about the need for a Liberal President

Influence

McGovern visits Madison, Wisconsin where he meets local union members

Everett holds a rally in Southwestern Wisconsin (Rally Wisconsin)

"Good evening Wisconsin!

Yesterday we had a good night! Despite humble beginnings, our campaign tripled in size in New Hampshire!

America may not have seen us before, but they see us now!

They see my experience and leadership ability

They see my proven track record in passing the Civil Rights Act, where I beat the southern filibuster not once, twice, or even three times!

I beat those segregationists in 1957!

1960!

1964!

1965!

And now we're going to beat them again!"

Everett meets with Richard Nixon for unknown reasons (Influence Moderate Republicans)

Yesterday Everett was seen meeting with Richard Nixon at a private resort. Although the reasons for the visit are currently unknown, speculation abounds that the two may be planning to make a move in the Republican Primary. When asked about the meeting, Everett declined to comment. He did, however, offer to buy drinks for us. "I already paid for the bankers' drinks; what's a few more?"

Everett decides to meet the Republican Liberals himself (Influence Liberal Republicans)

"Sorry I couldn't make it last time folks", Everett begins with an airy and confident demeanor, "but I was a little busy rallying in New Hampshire."

Everett smirks at the men as he continues, "Judging by my performance, it seems I made the right decision."

"The time has come for you to make the right decision", Everett with complete confidence, "And support me."

Everett continues for several hours, discussing his policy, accomplishments, and open political positions. After he finishes, Everett leaves first. 

• Upvote 1

Nixon, riding on his wave of influence from the Romney Republicans heads for a direct, 1 on 1 meeting with Governor George Romney. 

Nixon emphasizes the dangers of Goldwater being nominated again, and the electability of the current lineup of candidates. Nixon stresses the importance of a United Party and hopes Romney will see the key points Nixon offers to the table. 

1. Be Pro-Business, and fix the current inflation issues caused by the “inept” Johnson Administration.

2. End the war Vietnam. Something Romney is very vocal about...

3. End the draft.

4. Defend the Civil Rights Act

Nixon also emphasizes the poor performance of Nelson Rockefeller throughout the primaries... but tactfully mentions that there isn't any reason Rockefeller wouldn't have a place in a Nixon Administration. 

At the conclusion of their talks Nixon also points out that the United States could use a new Secretary of Housing and Urban Development… The job is his if he endorses Nixon and delivers the Mid-West. 

Nixon_and_Romney_in_a_cabinet_meeting.jpeg.b9456cde2f380c249851347b86586488.jpeg

After a meeting with Dirksen, Nixon heads to Maryland to discuss the possibility of an endorsement from Spiro Agnew

Agnew often regarded as a Moderate… has an appeal to Maryland delegates and Southerners who are discontent with the current status of unlawfulness in the country. They would be sure to take notice if one of the more outspoken “Law & Order” candidates endorsed Nixon. After eating dinner together at the Maryland Governor’s Residence Nixon discusses the need for an Attorney General if he becomes President. Before leaving Nixon gives Agnew a solemn nod of approval saying, “I know just the man for the job… I’m looking right at him.” *He would smile before leaving*

XJ56EYNBS5EYVHYSJTHVD5YJH4.thumb.jpg.08591c67323acd7451ffacd2b0855079.jpg

Nixon heads to Milwaukee for another rally after taking a slight break from campaigning. The rally focuses attacks on Goldwater’s ability to lead America to peace in Vietnam, while promoting Nixon's foreign policy experience. 

“Good Afternoon Wisconsin!” *The crowd would return the greeting.*

“Now I know what you’re all wondering… ah shucks’ Goldwater is on track to win. Even the polls have him leading now… well, my fellow Wisconsinites… this ain’t over yet.” *The crowd would cheer.* “THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING!! Does Wisconsin truly want another four years of a Democrat run country? Riots? Flag-Burning? No sir… we aren’t going to have that in a Nixon Administration! I urge you Wisconsin… to consider the grave danger we face in this election. Right now, we’re in the middle of a terrible war that we should’ve frankly never entangled ourselves in. And Senator Goldwater wants to escalate it? On a platform like that in 1964... Goldwater lost this state in one of the largest landslides ever seen. I assure you, if you elect me to be your nominee, WE'RE GOING TO WIN WISCONSIN! *Cheers* I am the only candidate up here with the Foreign Policy experience to end this war with an honorable agreement, and bring our boys home to their families! The best way to combat communism is DEFINITELY NOT THROUGH THE DEATH OF 30,000 TEENAGERS IN VIETNAM!" Nixon would pause, "I want you to know Wisconsin that we cannot risk an inexperienced hand in that oval office… we cannot risk a candidate who would rather win through escalation, and not through a peace agreement. Just like President Johnson, the more you escalate, the more riots we’re seeing throughout this country and it’s plain and simple folks… it’s a failure to represent YOU. The American people. Even if you do not proclaim your beliefs in public, I know the majority of Americans out there want these riots to end, they want this killing to stop, they want our nation to be at peace. My Vietnam policy is simple. On Day 1 of taking the Oval Office I will immediately arrange a comprehensive meeting to take place between South Vietnam, North Vietnam, and China. I’ll go there myself if I have to and sit down directly at the bargaining table. We need to ensure a ceasefire and make sure South Vietnam is capable of defending themselves. Just like me and Ike did in the Korean War! If the peace talks reach a conclusion, I tell you on that very day, our boys will be returning home. Senator Goldwater, as much respect as I have for the man; I believe there are serious, and credible doubts upon his ability to negotiate, and be a leader. We cannot afford escalation. It will only lead to more deaths, and riots. My fellow Americans, I urge you to get out there, vote for the candidate who will restore this country to a respected status once again, one who will keep our country safe, and out of harm's way. This election is important… and you gotta vote like your life depended on it. With that said, I look forward to seeing you again Milwaukee! God bless you! And God bless America!"

original.jpg.694ef4a5cee2fcb10910b364e89dbd31.jpg

Nelson Rockefeller meets with Governor of Michigan George Romney

Looking for an endorsement. Rockefeller talks about his similar views with Romney, as he is a true Rockefeller Republican, unlike the LINO Nixon. He says he knows business, like Romney, because he was the owner of a business and has always been pro-business. He also talks about ending the endless war in Vietnam and the draft. He tells Romney that an endorsement could push him into Treasury, State, or even VP. 

Nelson Rockefeller meets with the Governor of Ohio James Rhodes. 

Rockefeller is also looking for an endorsement from Rhodes. He talks about his pro-business record as the Governor of New York and how he will create jobs and bring progress to the Midwest. He stresses the need to stop Goldwater with someone popular who can actually beat Johnson by appealing to the voters that are considered by pundits solid Johnson votes. He also says an endorsement from Rockefeller in Rhodes's next election could help him with unions and non-whites.

Nelson Rockefeller meets with Senator Clifford Case

Rockefeller invites Case and other New Jersey Republican Party bosses to a lavish dinner party at Kykuit and talks to them. He then talks to Case about their similar record on Vietnam and civil rights. He talks about the need to stop Goldwater with a liberal icon, and the need to beat Johnson with a better, more Republican, Johnson. Rockefeller talks about his opposition to communism, similar to Case, and his liberal East Coast roots. He pushes Case and the other New Jersey Republicans to endorse me, and he also pushes  Case to run as a favorite son. 

download (2).jpg

Influence:  Lynch makes a play for the endorsement of the Mayor of San Francisco, John F. Shelly, citing his experience as District Attorney of San Francisco. 

Schmooze:  Lynch makes another play for the California Party bosses, after his last attempt. This time he sets an alarm!

Influence: Wallace woes Johnson donors and backers in Wisconsin. 

Rally: Wallace rallies in Wisconsin.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:19 PM, Herbert Hoover said:

From campaign to tragedy: A look at Robert Kennedy's final days - ABC News
Presidential hopeful Robert F. Kennedy holds a rally in a busy downtown area in Madison, Wisconsin

New Hampshire couldn't have gone any better for ol' Bobby. A win would have been enough, but a resounding win in the state makes him the clear favorite among liberals, and could boost him in the remainder of the primaries if he can keep McGovern from rising. For the next campaign stop, he took to Madison, Wisconsin, where he again made much higher funding for the Space Race and NASA a staple of his campaign. "I promise you, America. When I take office, I will make it of the highest priority to place the foot of man upon the moon. We are going to conquer the skies, and we are going to show those Soviets that we mean business!" (Campaign - Wisconsin)

The charming Kennedy also organized yet another meeting with the labor union leaders that make up the core of the Democratic Party's supporters and some of their most influential financial backers. Kennedy asked these leaders who they would prefer - A Democrat who can win, and give them the protections that they and their workers deserve? Or a Democrat like Johnson or McGovern who would lose, and give the White House to a Republican who would strip their few labor rights away? Bobby Kennedy is a man who can fight his way to the White House. And when he's there, he'll be duking it out for the working man. (Influence - Labor Unions)

The final stop of the week was not campaigning in Wisconsin, was not fundraising in New York, but was instead returning to where the campaign began - Washington DC. A high profile event was arranged for prominent party bosses throughout the nation, all on Kennedy's dime. Steak, shrimp, lobster, and fine wines were served and Kennedy took to the podium to make his case for why he is the best nominee to win in November. He warned that Johnson winning at the convention will be a slap in the face to the primary voters who will likely continue to put Johnson in a distant third, and that the Democrats need to remain united in their will to win the election. Johnson must go, and Kennedy is the strongest candidate to replace him. (Influence - Party Bosses)

Rally (5): The Rally doesn't do much. It's a standard rally filled with RFK supporters but RFK's game is a bit off and they leave no more or less energized than they arrived.

Influence (9): The attacks on Johnson and McGovern make RFK look to be the heir apparent for the liberal union member. They are highly effective

Influence (2): The only reason the party bosses don't audibly boo RFK down is because they're too busy eating his lobster. They are not interested whatsoever in abandoning President Johnson off the backs of one state.

Overall: +1. RFK's momentum post-NH is blunted but not stopped.

On 9/14/2020 at 6:06 PM, WVProgressive said:

Edward Brooke visits Chicago, where he invites members of the Cook County Republican Party to join him at a local Jazz Club (Schmooze)

Edward Brooke holds a rally in Madison, Wisconsin, talking about his Human Rights centered Foreign Policy

"America, as blessed by providence, and by the hard work of its people, stands as the most powerful force for Liberty in the entire world. We must continue to fight for human dignity, across the globe, and fight against all forms of tyranny in the modern world. The Soviet Union, and Communist China are our enemies, and we must fight against Communism, and for freedom. But the way we defeat Communism, isn't by propping up Third World dictators, subverting international democracy, and sending our young men off to fight in some jungle, in Southeast Asia. No, we must defeat Communism, by supporting democracy, and respecting human rights, neither of which our Soviet enemies, or their allies do. We must cut off support, for regimes like Anastasio Somoza's Nicaragua, or Apartheid South Africa. Human rights, must the centerpiece of our fight against the Soviets, and I will make them a key part of my foreign policy, when I'm President"

Edward Brooke holds a rally in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he talks about Civil Rights.

"America stands at a watershed moment in history. We've made tremendous progress, in the decade, that cannot be denied. In 1960, if someone had told you that an African American, would not only be running for President, but go so far to come in as a close second in the New Hampshire primary, you wouldn't have believed him. I know I certainly wouldn't. And for that, thank you, all of you, for your support in this election, but we still have a long way to go, both in this election, and in the fight for racial justice. One of the most pressing aspects in the fight for Civil Rights, is housing. Though the Civil Rights Act of 1866 prohibits discrimination in housing, it isn't federally enforced. The Fair Housing Act, which I Co-Authored with my good friend from Minnesota, Walter Mondale, would change this, and prohibited discrimination concerning the sale, rental, and financing of housing based on race, religion, national origin, sex, people with disabilities, and families with children. We must also secure the rights of women, by passing, and ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment, which will enshrine the rights of Women in the constitution."

Schmooze (6): The party bosses love the Jazz Club setting. While they're still skeptical of Brooke, the cultural immersion helps him sell his case.

Rally (5): An average rally.

Rally (4): Some racist slurs are jeered up at the podium by some older white workers, it seems to knock Brooke off his game.

Overall: 0. Brooke's campaign fails to make much national headway this week.

22 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

President Johnson invites members of the Catholic-American association to the White House, where he talks and (schmoozes) with them. He highlights his support and relationship with President Kennedy, and his respect for the family. He says that he will continue to support that community of Americans while he remains in office.

President Johnson does a rare rally in Milwaukee, WI. He speaks about how the country needs firm leadership to counter the threat of the Soviet Union, as well as a steady hand to keep the peace and make sure that the country keeps progressing into the future, and argues that he is the man to do it. He argues that the rest of his opponents talk about making the country a better place, but he's already done it by passing Civil Rights Legislation and working to end the War in Vietnam, a problem that has been enduring for years. 

President Johnson ends the day by meeting (influencing) the delegation of Georgia Democrats, talking with them about how he has been able to keep the country unified and that four more years would mean four more years of a steady hand leading the country against the Soviets. He argues he has kept the US out of large-scale entanglements while also keeping the Reds at bay! 

Schmooze (1!): The event is going great until after a moment slipping away from the group to talk strategy with his chief of staff, LBJ remarks off-handedly "I've got those catlickers wrapped around my fingers. Nothing gets those Papists hornier than jerking off Jack Kennedy." His Chief of Staff would have laughed, if only Cardinal O'Boyle weren't behind him..

Rally (4): The rally is yet another marker of dampened grassroots support for LBJ across the country.

Schmooze (5): While many Southern Democrats still distrust LBJ after signing the Civil Rights Act, most mainstream leaders support his renomination. Unfortunately for Johnson, this meeting was a mix of both and accomplished little more than Johnson-Wallace bickering among the delegates.

Overall: -6. Another rough week for LBJ on the trail.

21 hours ago, Cenzonico said:

With a win in New Hampshire, Barry Goldwater hopes the momentum carries over in this Madison, Wisconsin rally where he talks about civil rights and clarifies his vote on the Civil Rights Act.

Barry Goldwater's Curious Campaign | Alicia Patterson Foundation

"Hello Madison! The Barry Goldwater campaign has just gotten a nice boost out of our win in New Hampshire, but we must not gloat and instead move on! Of course, the state of Wisconsin happens to be next in line where we hopefully get another win to our name! Besides that, today I am here to talk about a more touchy subject in 1960's America. But one that will inevitably come up, so I will get it out of the way. This is the issue of civil rights and my controversial vote on the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  Now, of course I have been attacked on this issue and I understand if my vote gave the impression that I am some kind of bigot that hates everybody that is not of Caucasian descent. But to settle this issue once and for all I will say this, I was a member of the Arizona NAACP and I fought hard for desegregating my city of Phoenix! I fully believe that in order to form a perfect free America we must recognize that just because your skin is of a different color, it does not mean you are lesser nor greater than anyone else. I made my vote for a simple reason, It was a gross outreach of government power. A very simple reason that of course the Democrats and the Republicans completely ignore. Hell the Democratic party even has a candidate that has built an entire career on segregation. So I think it is suffice to say that I am not, never was, and never will be pro-segregation. So I tell all of my supporters, don't let anyone tell you that I think differently. When they attack us, it only makes our movement stronger and ready for more!"

21 hours ago, Cenzonico said:

Influence: 

Barry Goldwater will ahem  attempt to approach Rockefeller Republicans in New York to try and see if they are even a little bit willing to give him a chance, citing the failures of the Rockefeller campaign and our win in New Hampshire.

Schmooze: 

Barry Goldwater invites bosses representing the Vermont Republican Party for a cozy indoor fireside chat to try and get on their good side.

Rally (1!): Goldwater speech starts off great, until the droves of Brooke and RFK supporters march in and drown out any chance of Barry speaking. The protesters, many of them black, begin to chant "Hey Hey Ho Ho Racist Barry has got to go!". It takes 20 minutes for the protesters to be removed and when they are, Goldwater is caught cursing them out, some claim he used racially charged language but the allegations can't be proven.

Influence (4): It goes surprisingly well. Of Course, Goldwater is still sent away with nothing, but hey, no one threw a steak knife at him.

Schmooze (3): After the incident in Madison, barely any of the Vermont Bosses show up, the one's that do are all conspicuously members of segregated clubs that Senator Brooke had been chastised in.

Overall: -7. A bad week for Barry Goldwater, particularly on race. This just about blows all of his momentum coming out of New Hampshire, leveling him out.

21 hours ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

McGovern traveled to the Western United States where he stopped in Los Angeles, California

"Hola California! We're going to take our country back and end the War in Vietnam!"

Schmooze

McGovern met with California congressional Democrats over lunch where they talk about the need for a Liberal President

Influence

McGovern visits Madison, Wisconsin where he meets local union members

Rally (7): The rally is strong and represents movement on the war in California. McGovern even seems to be appealing to Hispanics, an RFK stronghold.

Schmooze (7): McGovern has learned a thing or two when it's members of Congress instead of bosses. The meeting goes so well that San Francisco congressman Rep. Phillip Burton (D, CA-5) offers his endorsement after lunch.

Rally (4): The union member turnout is depressed by a much larger event for the unions held by RFK.

Overall. +3. McGovern found some early success in California, Wisconsin is still a bit of a struggle.

20 hours ago, Zenobiyl said:

Everett holds a rally in Southwestern Wisconsin (Rally Wisconsin)

"Good evening Wisconsin!

Yesterday we had a good night! Despite humble beginnings, our campaign tripled in size in New Hampshire!

America may not have seen us before, but they see us now!

They see my experience and leadership ability

They see my proven track record in passing the Civil Rights Act, where I beat the southern filibuster not once, twice, or even three times!

I beat those segregationists in 1957!

1960!

1964!

1965!

And now we're going to beat them again!"

Everett meets with Richard Nixon for unknown reasons (Influence Moderate Republicans)

Yesterday Everett was seen meeting with Richard Nixon at a private resort. Although the reasons for the visit are currently unknown, speculation abounds that the two may be planning to make a move in the Republican Primary. When asked about the meeting, Everett declined to comment. He did, however, offer to buy drinks for us. "I already paid for the bankers' drinks; what's a few more?"

Everett decides to meet the Republican Liberals himself (Influence Liberal Republicans)

"Sorry I couldn't make it last time folks", Everett begins with an airy and confident demeanor, "but I was a little busy rallying in New Hampshire."

Everett smirks at the men as he continues, "Judging by my performance, it seems I made the right decision."

"The time has come for you to make the right decision", Everett with complete confidence, "And support me."

Everett continues for several hours, discussing his policy, accomplishments, and open political positions. After he finishes, Everett leaves first. 

Rally (5): The voters view this as a forced attack on Goldwater after his incident. While they appreciate it, some wonder why he couldn't just say his name.

Influence (9): Dirksen is a staple in the moderate community. They love hearing from him!

Influence (8): Dirksen's confidence pays off and all seems forgiven between him and the Liberal Republican crowd as Dirksen makes a strong impression.

Overall: +7. A very strong week for Everett Dirksen as he continues with his strength out of New Hampshire.

18 hours ago, PringlesN7 said:

Nixon, riding on his wave of influence from the Romney Republicans heads for a direct, 1 on 1 meeting with Governor George Romney. 

Nixon emphasizes the dangers of Goldwater being nominated again, and the electability of the current lineup of candidates. Nixon stresses the importance of a United Party and hopes Romney will see the key points Nixon offers to the table. 

1. Be Pro-Business, and fix the current inflation issues caused by the “inept” Johnson Administration.

2. End the war Vietnam. Something Romney is very vocal about...

3. End the draft.

4. Defend the Civil Rights Act

Nixon also emphasizes the poor performance of Nelson Rockefeller throughout the primaries... but tactfully mentions that there isn't any reason Rockefeller wouldn't have a place in a Nixon Administration. 

At the conclusion of their talks Nixon also points out that the United States could use a new Secretary of Housing and Urban Development… The job is his if he endorses Nixon and delivers the Mid-West. 

Nixon_and_Romney_in_a_cabinet_meeting.jpeg.b9456cde2f380c249851347b86586488.jpeg

After a meeting with Dirksen, Nixon heads to Maryland to discuss the possibility of an endorsement from Spiro Agnew

Agnew often regarded as a Moderate… has an appeal to Maryland delegates and Southerners who are discontent with the current status of unlawfulness in the country. They would be sure to take notice if one of the more outspoken “Law & Order” candidates endorsed Nixon. After eating dinner together at the Maryland Governor’s Residence Nixon discusses the need for an Attorney General if he becomes President. Before leaving Nixon gives Agnew a solemn nod of approval saying, “I know just the man for the job… I’m looking right at him.” *He would smile before leaving*

XJ56EYNBS5EYVHYSJTHVD5YJH4.thumb.jpg.08591c67323acd7451ffacd2b0855079.jpg

Nixon heads to Milwaukee for another rally after taking a slight break from campaigning. The rally focuses attacks on Goldwater’s ability to lead America to peace in Vietnam, while promoting Nixon's foreign policy experience. 

“Good Afternoon Wisconsin!” *The crowd would return the greeting.*

“Now I know what you’re all wondering… ah shucks’ Goldwater is on track to win. Even the polls have him leading now… well, my fellow Wisconsinites… this ain’t over yet.” *The crowd would cheer.* “THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING!! Does Wisconsin truly want another four years of a Democrat run country? Riots? Flag-Burning? No sir… we aren’t going to have that in a Nixon Administration! I urge you Wisconsin… to consider the grave danger we face in this election. Right now, we’re in the middle of a terrible war that we should’ve frankly never entangled ourselves in. And Senator Goldwater wants to escalate it? On a platform like that in 1964... Goldwater lost this state in one of the largest landslides ever seen. I assure you, if you elect me to be your nominee, WE'RE GOING TO WIN WISCONSIN! *Cheers* I am the only candidate up here with the Foreign Policy experience to end this war with an honorable agreement, and bring our boys home to their families! The best way to combat communism is DEFINITELY NOT THROUGH THE DEATH OF 30,000 TEENAGERS IN VIETNAM!" Nixon would pause, "I want you to know Wisconsin that we cannot risk an inexperienced hand in that oval office… we cannot risk a candidate who would rather win through escalation, and not through a peace agreement. Just like President Johnson, the more you escalate, the more riots we’re seeing throughout this country and it’s plain and simple folks… it’s a failure to represent YOU. The American people. Even if you do not proclaim your beliefs in public, I know the majority of Americans out there want these riots to end, they want this killing to stop, they want our nation to be at peace. My Vietnam policy is simple. On Day 1 of taking the Oval Office I will immediately arrange a comprehensive meeting to take place between South Vietnam, North Vietnam, and China. I’ll go there myself if I have to and sit down directly at the bargaining table. We need to ensure a ceasefire and make sure South Vietnam is capable of defending themselves. Just like me and Ike did in the Korean War! If the peace talks reach a conclusion, I tell you on that very day, our boys will be returning home. Senator Goldwater, as much respect as I have for the man; I believe there are serious, and credible doubts upon his ability to negotiate, and be a leader. We cannot afford escalation. It will only lead to more deaths, and riots. My fellow Americans, I urge you to get out there, vote for the candidate who will restore this country to a respected status once again, one who will keep our country safe, and out of harm's way. This election is important… and you gotta vote like your life depended on it. With that said, I look forward to seeing you again Milwaukee! God bless you! And God bless America!"

original.jpg.694ef4a5cee2fcb10910b364e89dbd31.jpg

Influence (8): Romney hears about Nixon's stand on the war. He considers it courageous, even as the party rank-and-file largely views it as anathema. Romney tells Nixon that he has a meeting with Nelson Rockefeller and will get back to him on the possibility of an endorsement.

Influence (8): Agnew smiles graciously as he is offered Attorney General. He responds "And I'm looking at my pick for President of the United States." Agnew agrees to endorse Nixon.

Rally (2): The crowd is a bit confused. Terrible war? Where is the Cold Warrior Nixon who wasn't afraid to take it to the Commies? While it certainly wasn't a failure to the level of Goldwater's rally, the crowd left feeling deflated about wanting to win in Vietnam and take out the Viet Cong. The messaging was no doubt off tonight.

Overall: +3. Nixon's politicking and nationwide increase in support helps take the heat off of his unpopular left-ward jaunt on Vietnam.

10 hours ago, buenoboss said:

Nelson Rockefeller meets with Governor of Michigan George Romney

Looking for an endorsement. Rockefeller talks about his similar views with Romney, as he is a true Rockefeller Republican, unlike the LINO Nixon. He says he knows business, like Romney, because he was the owner of a business and has always been pro-business. He also talks about ending the endless war in Vietnam and the draft. He tells Romney that an endorsement could push him into Treasury, State, or even VP. 

Nelson Rockefeller meets with the Governor of Ohio James Rhodes. 

Rockefeller is also looking for an endorsement from Rhodes. He talks about his pro-business record as the Governor of New York and how he will create jobs and bring progress to the Midwest. He stresses the need to stop Goldwater with someone popular who can actually beat Johnson by appealing to the voters that are considered by pundits solid Johnson votes. He also says an endorsement from Rockefeller in Rhodes's next election could help him with unions and non-whites.

Nelson Rockefeller meets with Senator Clifford Case

Rockefeller invites Case and other New Jersey Republican Party bosses to a lavish dinner party at Kykuit and talks to them. He then talks to Case about their similar record on Vietnam and civil rights. He talks about the need to stop Goldwater with a liberal icon, and the need to beat Johnson with a better, more Republican, Johnson. Rockefeller talks about his opposition to communism, similar to Case, and his liberal East Coast roots. He pushes Case and the other New Jersey Republicans to endorse me, and he also pushes  Case to run as a favorite son. 

download (2).jpg

Influence (9): Romney says that he's always liked Rockefeller for President. He'll endorse the campaign if he is assured that Secretary of State or the Vice Presidency will be floated his way.

Influence (3): Jim Rhodes reiterates yet again that while he is flattered by Rockefeller's advances, he is naturally Nixonite and Rockefeller simply doesn't have the results to warrant jumping ship. He doesn't want to back the wrong horse in his own primary.

Influence (3): Case receives Rockefeller as a neighbor but expresses the same worries as Rhodes. He doesn't want to back the wrong horse in the New Jersey primary and get locked out of the convention as the floor leader for NJ.

Overall: 0. Rockefeller is on the verge of a major breakthrough with regaining momentum among liberals if he can unite the former Romneyites under him. Until then, his campaign stalls as it hits walls with both Rhodes and Case.

8 hours ago, ALiteralNeoliberal said:

Influence 
Young takes newly elected mayor of Cleveland Carl Stokes golfing, asks for his endorsement

Schmooze
Young meets with representatives of the Jewish Community for lunch (ethnic Americans)

Influence (5): Stokes is not great at golfing and is a bit embarassed with Young shows him up. No endorsement this time.

Schmooze (7): Young is appealing to the Jewish faith leaders and synagogues across Ohio become friendly territory for Senator Young.

Overall: +2. Young continus to build in Ohio.

4 hours ago, MishFox said:

Influence:  Lynch makes a play for the endorsement of the Mayor of San Francisco, John F. Shelly, citing his experience as District Attorney of San Francisco. 

Schmooze:  Lynch makes another play for the California Party bosses, after his last attempt. This time he sets an alarm!

Influence (6): Shelly, concerned about how close or decisive California may be, can't commit to endorsing Lynch right now, especially not after word on the street that Congressman Burton is considering McGovern.

Schmooze (4): The alarm works but his mouth doesn't! He goes to take a sip of coffee before he meets with the bosses and spills several drops on his tie and shirt. He arrives looking sloppy and all eyes are on that stain.

Overall: 0. Lynch finds it hard to build a favorite son case in a primary that may prove incredibly important for national Democrats.

4 hours ago, The Blood said:

Influence: Wallace woes Johnson donors and backers in Wisconsin. 

Influence (1!): The donors turn their nose up at Wallace's populist style and won't have any of what he's selling.

Rally (9): Back in his natural habitat, the populist Wallace fires up the crowd!

Rally (1!): Wallace puts his foot in his mouth and accidentally starts talking about segregation during his law and order speech, he quickly self-corrects but everyone notices what most are calling a freudian slip.

Overall: -6. A rough week for Wallace as he bounces from rejection to rebound to rejection again in Wisconsin.

John Lindsay Absence Roll:

(1/2/2)

Overall: -10. As Lindsay recedes from the campaign trail, people are clearly wondering where the New Hampshire underperformer is, if anything this might help take some of the heat off of the other candidates.

NBC Nightly News Report -- March 20th, 1968

General News

• The United States Congress votes to End the Gold Standard
  • Howard University Students have begun a sit-in at the university. Violent altercations have been reported at the Adminstrative building.
  • A London Demonstration against US-Vietnamese intervention left 91 injured and over 200 arrested.

---

Democratic Primary

The Democratic primary rolls out of New Hampshire with the left wing gaining ground as conservative George Wallace finds it hard to land in Wisconsin and President Johnson continues to lag in the polls. President Johnson was reported as off-handedly making crude remarks about Catholics as George Wallace accidentally reignites old fears about segregationism. Meanwhile the progressive McGovern and liberal Kennedy have largely stayed out of the headlines as they quietly gain ground.

March 20th -- Nationwide Democratic Primary Preference Poll

Robert F. Kennedy - 34.9% (+0.8)

Lyndon B. Johnson - 21.1% (-1.2)

George Wallace - 16.8% (-0.6)

George McGovern - 12.2% (+1.2)

Undecided - 15.0% (-0.2)

---

Republican Primary

Meanwhile, an incredibly difficult weak for conservative standard bearer Barry Goldwater has left room to grow for Richard Nixon. Goldwater is saved by Nixon's leftward shift on Vietnam which has drawn the ire of some of the party's conservative members. Everett Dirksen continues to chug along as Nelson Rockefeller seems to continue to rely on backroom relations, hoping to win the delgate math later on. Perhaps most noticeably, however, is how absent New York Mayor John Lindsay has been on the trail. Lindsay has held no recorded events since his disappointing last place finish in New Hampshire netted him only 5% of the vote.

Barry Goldwater - 22.3% (-0.2)

Richard Nixon - 22.1% (+1.2)

Everett Dirksen - 15.4% (+1.2)

Nelson Rockefeller - 11.9% (-0.5)

Edward Brooke - 11.7% (+0.8)

John Lindsay - 0.9% (-2.0)

Undecided - 15.7% (-0.5)

---

@Herbert Hoover @TheLiberalKitten @Hestia11 @The Blood @MishFox @ALiteralNeoliberal @WVProgressive @Fbarbarossa @PringlesN7 @buenoboss @Zenobiyl @Cenzonico

You may now all post for the next turn! 2 turns until Wisconsin!

With stagnated momentum, Barry Goldwater holds a rally in Kenosha, Wisconsin on foreign policy seeing if it ends it garnering a better reaction.

Goldwater: The father of American conservatism - Washington Times

"America, I think most of us can agree that the biggest foreign threat we face today is the sick and twisted ideology know as Communism! We, as the beacon of liberty and democracy can not let the red menace grow any stronger, and as commander in chief I will make sure to take the fight to the Eastern Bloc and Red China! The United States of America is considered the leader of the free world for a reason, and we should make sure we continue to spread our influence far and wide. Whether it is London or Paris, Berlin or Rome, Tokyo or Seoul, and hell even Moscow or Beijing, our ideals of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness have influence on many actions taken on the world stage. We must make sure Vietnam does not fall to the forces of the Viet Cong, and stand up for our Asian allies. We must make sure Western Europe, our bulwark against the armies of the Warsaw Pact, continue to thrive and take their part in fighting those damn Commies! Our battle against the USSR is not like any kind of war, this is war fought by proxies, civil wars, unrest, and the window of opportunity. A clash of two ideologies fighting for control of the world stage. So America, don't give up! Rise up and take action in the defense of democracy! We can not surrender under any circumstances to the forces of Communism! We must not only rise up, but we need the world to take action! This is what my campaign is exactly about, a campaign in defense of our American values. We must not yield, and I hope every American can realize that this is the choice we as a country must make."

Influence:

Considering the massive success of her book in 1964, Barry Goldwater will meet with activist Phyllis Schlafly to see if she is willing to go ahead and outright endorse Barry in 1968. 

Schmooze:

Barry Goldwater invites bosses representing the Illinois Republican Party to a bowling alley to have some fun.

With Governor Agnew endorsing Nixon; Nixon instructs Agnew to deliver Maryland's delegates at the RNC. In the meantime, Nixon encourages Agnew to perform any attempt to persuade reluctant Southern Delegates into voting for Nixon, instead of Goldwater. (I suppose you can treat this as an Influence of Lily-Whites? Or a Schmooze for Southern Delegates… whatever is in line with the rules.)

Nixon visits Ohio Governor Jim Rhodes for dinner at his residence in hopes of gaining the renowned Governor’s endorsement. Nixon is ready to offer a nice cabinet position along with making Rhodes a Senior Advisor to the campaign, and hopefully… the White House.

Jeffrey Guterman, Ph.D. on Twitter: "U.S. President Richard M. Nixon and  Ohio Governor James Rhodes at the White House on this date February 6 in  1969. Photo credit: AP.… https://t.co/5vthRknpgc"

Nixon heads to Missouri for an endorsement from Representative Thomas B. Curtis. As usual, Nixon emphasizes the danger of electing Goldwater and risking a loss in the General Election. However, Nixon also emphasizes that he will do his part to help Curtis win in his Senate Election against Thomas Eagleton. If, in the unfortunate circumstance Curtis fails to beat Eagleton… Nixon commends Curtis’s profound knowledge in Economics. Nixon could always use a Senior Economic Advisor in his cabinet...

Nixon heads to Green Bay, Wisconsin for a rally. The prime focus is Law & Order, and is mixed in with some attacks on Goldwater's electability. 
“My fellow Wisconsinites, good afternoon!” The crowd would return the greeting, “It’s good to be here at the home of the Packers! I’d first like to congratulate this city on their championship in the 1967 NFL Finals! And if you keep this awesome team you have I’m sure you’ll be on track to win another!” The audience cheers, “The media said that Nixon was slipping for the last 3 weekends, but NOT ANYMORE!!!! The Silent Majority is finally realizing the dangers that could arise if Goldwater were to become the nominee a second time. The American people are taking notice at the abysmal leadership our country has experienced. The failure to represent the American who can’t go out and campaign everyday, the American who works a 9-5 job and has only a few hours to spend time with their kids before it’s back to work in the morning. They’re tired of this divisive rhetoric, and they want someone with tested ideas, a strong record, and decent character in the White House. The American people want to be able to walk outside their homes, without seeing the whole block engulfed in flames, and flag burning rioters! I have the utmost respect for the peaceful Civil Rights demonstrators, and our Police Officers in this country… desperately trying to keep Law and Order on the streets. One thing that makes Wisconsin so great though, is your Governor, Warren Knowles!” Knowles would walk up to the stage to shake Nixon’s hand and wave before standing with him for the remainder of the speech. “Governor Knowles, is the Law & Order Governor, and all of you know about it! In some parts of the country we see riots every day, New York City, Chicago, Cleveland, Montgomery… but not up here. All it took was one riot last year and your Governor put an end to that real quick!” Nixon would encourage a round of applause to Knowles before allowing him to take the microphone. Knowles would say, “I appreciate the kind words from you Vice President Nixon… I do my best to keep this state safe, and out of harm's way. And I intend to do so until my time is up! And I tell you my fellow Wisconsinites, NIXON IS THE ONE! HE WILL BRING THE LAW AND ORDER BACK! HE WILL WIN THIS ELECTION! HE WILL BEAT THOSE DEMOCRATS AND HE WILL WIN WISCONSIN! THERE WON'T BE ANY DEMOCRAT LANDSLIDE IN THIS ELECTION, I ASSURE YOU!” The crowd erupts in cheers. “With that said Wisconsin, good day! And when that primary comes… I want to see ALL of YOU voting for Vice President Nixon and our fusion ticket!” Knowles and Nixon depart from the stage. 

A Tell-All about Nixon's Campaign Was the 1969 Version of 'Fire and Fury' -  HISTORY

***Nixon Endorsement Tracker***
Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (Doesn’t influence delegates directly, but good to have for any reason I suppose)
Warren P. Knowles (Governor of Wisconsin, Fusion Ticket in WI Primary.)
Spiro Agnew (Governor of Maryland, will deliver delegates at RNC and attempt to sway Southern Delegates doubting electability of Goldwater.)

The rich get richer. Bobby has continued his rise in the polls, and is visiting Wisconsin today to hold a brief rally on expanding the social programs of the Great Society. (Rally - Wisconsin)

Kennedy meets with prominent moderates of the Democratic Party, telling them that if electability is their chief concern, then they need to ditch Johnson for a candidate who can defeat the Republican nominee. Johnson's unpopularity will sink our chances. (Influence - Moderates)

Kennedy meets with Senator Phillip Hart of Michigan, asking that he officially endorse Kennedy and pledge Michigan's delegates to him at the convention. (Schmooze - Michigan)

Lynch now seeks the endorsement of Mayor Samuel William Yorty, of Los Angeles. He claims he can get the support of Californians, and can represent California well in a National Convention. (Schmooze - Endorsement)

Lynch holds a rally in Los Angeles, talking about the path forward for California, and the democratic Party (Rally - Los Angeles) 

Schmooze

McGovern is out West again where he will meet with Arizona Democratic member of Congress Mo Udall, they talk about the Vietnam War where McGovern commits to ending as President as well as committing to environmental conservation issues if he is elected

Rally

McGovern stops by his home state of South Dakota where he meets local voters and talks about the issues of his campaign

Rally

McGovern is back in Wisconsin this time in Madison where the Senator holds a rally and talks about his commitment to ending the Vietnam War and having unions have a larger role in the economy

Johnson rallies in Wisconsin, speaking with the people there about the need to keep him in office. He highlights his experience and how much he can do to keep bringing home paychecks to those in Wisconsin. He promises to keep the interests of the region at the very forefront of his plans. (Rally)

Johnson speaks with Gov. Robert Docking of Kansas, talking about his midwestern-southern roots and how he will continue to be able to represent the party in the best fashion going forward. (Schmooze - Kansas)

Johnson ends the day by speaking with Sen. Stuart Symington of Missouri, touting his experience and cajoling and joking with him about several issues and they talk about their past experience in the Senate together as well as while Johnson was VP. (Schmooze - Missouri)

Brooke mingles with Moderate Republicans in Milwaukee Wisconsin,pushing the idea that his performance in New Hampshire shows he's the candidate best suited to defeat Goldwater.

Brooke Rallys in Green Bay, Wisconsin where he talks about the environment. He pledges to create an Environmental Protection Agency, create a national park in Alaska, and create a Youth Conservation Corps.

Brooke talks about Civil Rights in a rally in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. While in the country's first capital, he talks about the American Dream, and how the promise of freedom, and justice, has been denied to African-American's, and Women since the 1800s, and how, at this critical juncture, it is incredibly important, for the Republican Party, to pledge it's total support, for Civil Rights in America.

Rally in New York

Calmly, John Lindsay walks to the podium. Placing a hand on either side be begins to speak into the microphones.

Hello my fellow New Yorkers, my fellow Americans. Today, I am going to speak to you about a matter of great importance. That is, the threat posed by Senator Barry Goldwater.

I know this a matter that I seem to have obsessed over, but that is because it is important!

Senator Goldwater is possibly one of the greatest threats to our nation. His promises of use of Nuclear weapons in Vietnam will have effects that we cannot comprehend! His views on civil rights would take away the constitutional rights of hundreds of thousands of Americans and could destroy the hopes of fledgling businesses who, if undisturbed by the likes of Goldwater, could bolster our nations economy.

It is because of this and far more that I am endorsing Richard Nixon for the nomination. Only through an alliance of moderate and liberal Republicans can Goldwater be stopped, and I will not aid him by stifling this alliance. So, to all who supported me, to all who respect our constitution, to all who want to see our planet keep turning, please, support Richard M. Nixon for the Republican nomination, he is the only one who can stop Goldwater.

Everett and Charles Percy hit the campaign trail again with a tour through Allentown, Pennsylvania. (Rally Pennsylvania)

“Many of you have heard about Everett recently. However, even before his rapid rise in the polls Dirksen brought a certain charisma to D.C. that few politicians ever bring.

As the junior senator from Illinois I’ve been by his side for years, which is why I am certain he has the tenacity to be your next president.

I remember the time he tried to pass a bill amending lend lease, by waiting until the democrats took a lunch break. When they came back, the democrats found Everett with a grin on his face, and a law in his hands.

I also remember the time when Everett spent over fifty days negotiating to break a southern filibuster against the Civil Rights Act.

I remember the long speeches and longer negotiations, where Everett would use his mastery of persuasion to turn ideas into laws. Even before he became Senate Minority Leader, Everett was a giant in the Senate.

Who better to fight for our freedoms, at home and abroad? 

(Percy points to Everett)

Vote Everett, because he will fight for you.”

Everett seeks the support of Governor John Volpe (Endorsement John Volpe)

Before beginning the meeting Everett solemnly thanks John for his great service to the United States (Military Service). After exchanging pleasantries about the wife and kids the real meat of the discussion begins.

Everett leans on their shared moderate views and contributions to the civil rights movement. He mentions how some of the policies of Massachusetts will be expanded nationwide under a Dirksen presidency, and that Everett is growing in the polls faster than nearly any other candidate. Everett makes a subtle remark about the benefits of supporting a presidential campaign early, and mentions potential vacancies in Government agencies. Secretary of Transportation, perhaps?

Everett seeks the support of Governor Claude Kirk Jr. (Endorsement Claude Kirk Jr.)

Everett begins the meeting with thanking Claude for his service, similarly to his meeting with John earlier today. After more small talk Everett smoothly transitions to the topic for the meeting.

Everett explains to Claude why his campaign is the best one for moderates in America. How Dirksen’s experience, tenacity, and bipartisan support in DC makes him the perfect candidate for president. Everett flatters Claude, speaking highly of his entrepreneurial character and talent for winning difficult elections.

Finally, Everett delivers the bombshell. His Amendment to the “One man One vote” doctrine would allow Claude to redraw his state’s districts to give the urban centers less voting power. Perhaps this would help him flip his state, which has been run by democrats in the state house and senate?

Influence: Wallace woes Conservative Democrats in Wisconsin who are weary of Wallace's past segregationist focus.

Rally: Wallace rallies in Pennsylvania. 

18 hours ago, Cenzonico said:

With stagnated momentum, Barry Goldwater holds a rally in Kenosha, Wisconsin on foreign policy seeing if it ends it garnering a better reaction.

Goldwater: The father of American conservatism - Washington Times

"America, I think most of us can agree that the biggest foreign threat we face today is the sick and twisted ideology know as Communism! We, as the beacon of liberty and democracy can not let the red menace grow any stronger, and as commander in chief I will make sure to take the fight to the Eastern Bloc and Red China! The United States of America is considered the leader of the free world for a reason, and we should make sure we continue to spread our influence far and wide. Whether it is London or Paris, Berlin or Rome, Tokyo or Seoul, and hell even Moscow or Beijing, our ideals of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness have influence on many actions taken on the world stage. We must make sure Vietnam does not fall to the forces of the Viet Cong, and stand up for our Asian allies. We must make sure Western Europe, our bulwark against the armies of the Warsaw Pact, continue to thrive and take their part in fighting those damn Commies! Our battle against the USSR is not like any kind of war, this is war fought by proxies, civil wars, unrest, and the window of opportunity. A clash of two ideologies fighting for control of the world stage. So America, don't give up! Rise up and take action in the defense of democracy! We can not surrender under any circumstances to the forces of Communism! We must not only rise up, but we need the world to take action! This is what my campaign is exactly about, a campaign in defense of our American values. We must not yield, and I hope every American can realize that this is the choice we as a country must make."

18 hours ago, Cenzonico said:

Influence:

Considering the massive success of her book in 1964, Barry Goldwater will meet with activist Phyllis Schlafly to see if she is willing to go ahead and outright endorse Barry in 1968. 

Schmooze:

Barry Goldwater invites bosses representing the Illinois Republican Party to a bowling alley to have some fun.

Rally (9): Goldwater's rally is electric! His message on communism is strong and after Nixon's waffle to the left, he's got a lot of room to grow here.

Influence (8): Phyllis said she wondered when you would call. She would be proud to endorse Goldwater for President in 1968, she's looking to increase the power of the conservative grassroots in the party anyhow. Hopefully she can increase Goldwater's chances in Illinois.

Schmooze (4): The party members are wary of Goldwater, but all is not lost. Rising Star Phil Crane seems to take a liking to Goldwater, especially after the Schlafly visit, which offput some establishment types from Springfield.

Overall: +6. Goldwater rebounds from his rough week, making back up some of the momentum he lost by sticking to his roots.

9 hours ago, PringlesN7 said:

With Governor Agnew endorsing Nixon; Nixon instructs Agnew to deliver Maryland's delegates at the RNC. In the meantime, Nixon encourages Agnew to perform any attempt to persuade reluctant Southern Delegates into voting for Nixon, instead of Goldwater. (I suppose you can treat this as an Influence of Lily-Whites? Or a Schmooze for Southern Delegates… whatever is in line with the rules.)

Nixon visits Ohio Governor Jim Rhodes for dinner at his residence in hopes of gaining the renowned Governor’s endorsement. Nixon is ready to offer a nice cabinet position along with making Rhodes a Senior Advisor to the campaign, and hopefully… the White House.

Jeffrey Guterman, Ph.D. on Twitter: "U.S. President Richard M. Nixon and  Ohio Governor James Rhodes at the White House on this date February 6 in  1969. Photo credit: AP.… https://t.co/5vthRknpgc"

Nixon heads to Missouri for an endorsement from Representative Thomas B. Curtis. As usual, Nixon emphasizes the danger of electing Goldwater and risking a loss in the General Election. However, Nixon also emphasizes that he will do his part to help Curtis win in his Senate Election against Thomas Eagleton. If, in the unfortunate circumstance Curtis fails to beat Eagleton… Nixon commends Curtis’s profound knowledge in Economics. Nixon could always use a Senior Economic Advisor in his cabinet...

Nixon heads to Green Bay, Wisconsin for a rally. The prime focus is Law & Order, and is mixed in with some attacks on Goldwater's electability. 
“My fellow Wisconsinites, good afternoon!” The crowd would return the greeting, “It’s good to be here at the home of the Packers! I’d first like to congratulate this city on their championship in the 1967 NFL Finals! And if you keep this awesome team you have I’m sure you’ll be on track to win another!” The audience cheers, “The media said that Nixon was slipping for the last 3 weekends, but NOT ANYMORE!!!! The Silent Majority is finally realizing the dangers that could arise if Goldwater were to become the nominee a second time. The American people are taking notice at the abysmal leadership our country has experienced. The failure to represent the American who can’t go out and campaign everyday, the American who works a 9-5 job and has only a few hours to spend time with their kids before it’s back to work in the morning. They’re tired of this divisive rhetoric, and they want someone with tested ideas, a strong record, and decent character in the White House. The American people want to be able to walk outside their homes, without seeing the whole block engulfed in flames, and flag burning rioters! I have the utmost respect for the peaceful Civil Rights demonstrators, and our Police Officers in this country… desperately trying to keep Law and Order on the streets. One thing that makes Wisconsin so great though, is your Governor, Warren Knowles!” Knowles would walk up to the stage to shake Nixon’s hand and wave before standing with him for the remainder of the speech. “Governor Knowles, is the Law & Order Governor, and all of you know about it! In some parts of the country we see riots every day, New York City, Chicago, Cleveland, Montgomery… but not up here. All it took was one riot last year and your Governor put an end to that real quick!” Nixon would encourage a round of applause to Knowles before allowing him to take the microphone. Knowles would say, “I appreciate the kind words from you Vice President Nixon… I do my best to keep this state safe, and out of harm's way. And I intend to do so until my time is up! And I tell you my fellow Wisconsinites, NIXON IS THE ONE! HE WILL BRING THE LAW AND ORDER BACK! HE WILL WIN THIS ELECTION! HE WILL BEAT THOSE DEMOCRATS AND HE WILL WIN WISCONSIN! THERE WON'T BE ANY DEMOCRAT LANDSLIDE IN THIS ELECTION, I ASSURE YOU!” The crowd erupts in cheers. “With that said Wisconsin, good day! And when that primary comes… I want to see ALL of YOU voting for Vice President Nixon and our fusion ticket!” Knowles and Nixon depart from the stage. 

A Tell-All about Nixon's Campaign Was the 1969 Version of 'Fire and Fury' -  HISTORY

***Nixon Endorsement Tracker***
Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (Doesn’t influence delegates directly, but good to have for any reason I suppose)
Warren P. Knowles (Governor of Wisconsin, Fusion Ticket in WI Primary.)
Spiro Agnew (Governor of Maryland, will deliver delegates at RNC and attempt to sway Southern Delegates doubting electability of Goldwater.)

4 hours ago, Fbarbarossa said:

Rally in New York

Calmly, John Lindsay walks to the podium. Placing a hand on either side be begins to speak into the microphones.

Hello my fellow New Yorkers, my fellow Americans. Today, I am going to speak to you about a matter of great importance. That is, the threat posed by Senator Barry Goldwater.

I know this a matter that I seem to have obsessed over, but that is because it is important!

Senator Goldwater is possibly one of the greatest threats to our nation. His promises of use of Nuclear weapons in Vietnam will have effects that we cannot comprehend! His views on civil rights would take away the constitutional rights of hundreds of thousands of Americans and could destroy the hopes of fledgling businesses who, if undisturbed by the likes of Goldwater, could bolster our nations economy.

It is because of this and far more that I am endorsing Richard Nixon for the nomination. Only through an alliance of moderate and liberal Republicans can Goldwater be stopped, and I will not aid him by stifling this alliance. So, to all who supported me, to all who respect our constitution, to all who want to see our planet keep turning, please, support Richard M. Nixon for the Republican nomination, he is the only one who can stop Goldwater.

Endorsement (2): Agnew's endorsement is mired with messaging issues as Agnew's bent against Civil Rights as an effort to appeal to lily whites seems off brand for Nixon's left wing jaunt. Agnew doesn't seem to help with the South but either way he'll give Nixon an edge in the MDGOP delegate nominating caucus.

Influence (8): Rhodes, impressed by Nixon's moderation, will be signing onto the campaign with pleasure. He will do what he can to help Nixon carry Ohio in the primary and general.

Influence (7) Curtis, an old friend of Nixon's will lobby for him at the MOGOP nominating convention. Curtis is hoping to expand the Republican Party in Missouri beyond just his district in Suburban Missouri and believes Nixon is the best way forward. He'll endorse.

Rally (1!): The Rally would have been great if it hadn't been beset by supporters of a strong Goldwater who chanted him down every time he attempted to attack the Arizona Senator. It seems that Republican primary voters still aren't over last week's left-wing turn on Vietnam and Activists on the New Right are not content to let Nixon forget about it.

Endorsement (5): Lindsay makes an effective pitch but most of his support naturally migrates back to Rockefeller and Brooke. He will be a valuable ally if Nixon hopes to break into the NYGOP delegate nominating convention, though.

Overall: +3. While Nixon struggles in Wisconsin among the grassroots, his campaign's delegate strategy is blossoming. Lindsay helps attract Liberal attention.

10 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

The rich get richer. Bobby has continued his rise in the polls, and is visiting Wisconsin today to hold a brief rally on expanding the social programs of the Great Society. (Rally - Wisconsin)

Kennedy meets with prominent moderates of the Democratic Party, telling them that if electability is their chief concern, then they need to ditch Johnson for a candidate who can defeat the Republican nominee. Johnson's unpopularity will sink our chances. (Influence - Moderates)

Kennedy meets with Senator Phillip Hart of Michigan, asking that he officially endorse Kennedy and pledge Michigan's delegates to him at the convention. (Schmooze - Michigan)

Rally (5): The rally changes the climate in Wisconsin relatively little.

Influence (6): Kennedy makes a convincing case but Johnson is still by and large the party favorite.

Schmooze (6): Hart is nearly convinced but it's tough to dissuade him of his natural lean towards Johnson, RFK will need to work him a little more.

Overall: +2. RFK makes few waves but ruffles even fewer feathers. A positive week but not as exciting as last.

9 hours ago, MishFox said:

Lynch now seeks the endorsement of Mayor Samuel William Yorty, of Los Angeles. He claims he can get the support of Californians, and can represent California well in a National Convention. (Schmooze - Endorsement)

Lynch holds a rally in Los Angeles, talking about the path forward for California, and the democratic Party (Rally - Los Angeles) 

Schmooze (5): Yorty is far too conservative and Lynch's pitch is far too low energy to move the needle.

Rally (6): People are interested in Lynch, name recognition is growing.

Overall +1. Another week on the trail with more Californians aware that Lynch is running for President is a positive week for Lynch.

8 hours ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Schmooze

McGovern is out West again where he will meet with Arizona Democratic member of Congress Mo Udall, they talk about the Vietnam War where McGovern commits to ending as President as well as committing to environmental conservation issues if he is elected

Rally

McGovern stops by his home state of South Dakota where he meets local voters and talks about the issues of his campaign

Rally

McGovern is back in Wisconsin this time in Madison where the Senator holds a rally and talks about his commitment to ending the Vietnam War and having unions have a larger role in the economy

Schmooze (7): Udall admires McGovern, but he's just too far to the left for Udall, who is already making the tough choice between RFK and LBJ. Still, he appreciates the outreach and is refferred to some progressive organizers in the Arizona Democratic Party.

Rally (8): South Dakotans love hearing from George! 

Rally (8): McGovern is giving some great speeches on the trail this week.

Overall: +8. McGovern has a very strong week on the trail and is even able to recruit some organizers for the eventual Arizona nominating caucus.

7 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Johnson rallies in Wisconsin, speaking with the people there about the need to keep him in office. He highlights his experience and how much he can do to keep bringing home paychecks to those in Wisconsin. He promises to keep the interests of the region at the very forefront of his plans. (Rally)

Johnson speaks with Gov. Robert Docking of Kansas, talking about his midwestern-southern roots and how he will continue to be able to represent the party in the best fashion going forward. (Schmooze - Kansas)

Johnson ends the day by speaking with Sen. Stuart Symington of Missouri, touting his experience and cajoling and joking with him about several issues and they talk about their past experience in the Senate together as well as while Johnson was VP. (Schmooze - Missouri)

Rally (4): LBJ just isn't inspiring on the trail for a President. Another week of failing to connect with Wisconsin voters. At least he hasn't offended anyone.

Schmooze (7): Docking will work with the Kansas Democratic Party to make sure Johnson delegates win seats at the convention. He'll endorse the President as soon as he's directed to.

Schmooze (10!): Symington, an old friend of the President, is a sight for sore eyes after rejection after rejection on the trail. After a great conversation between old friends, Symington turns to Johnson and promises to him that he will work himself to the bone to deliver Johnson with every last delegate from the Show Me State. He is all in on the campaign.

Overall +6. While LBJ isn't turning any heads on the trail, his delegate strategy in Kansas and Missouri begins to materialize.

6 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Brooke mingles with Moderate Republicans in Milwaukee Wisconsin,pushing the idea that his performance in New Hampshire shows he's the candidate best suited to defeat Goldwater.

Brooke Rallys in Green Bay, Wisconsin where he talks about the environment. He pledges to create an Environmental Protection Agency, create a national park in Alaska, and create a Youth Conservation Corps.

Brooke talks about Civil Rights in a rally in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. While in the country's first capital, he talks about the American Dream, and how the promise of freedom, and justice, has been denied to African-American's, and Women since the 1800s, and how, at this critical juncture, it is incredibly important, for the Republican Party, to pledge it's total support, for Civil Rights in America.

Influence (4): Brooke has trouble connecting with moderates per usual.

Rally (8): Brooke's natural charisma carries him through a strong event on the envrionment.

Rally (4): Brooke has trouble breaking into Pennsylvania. The primary electorate seems to be less receptive to his candidacy than previously though with several hecklers in the crowd. He'll need to pour in more resources to break through like he did in New Hampshire and Wisconsin.

Overall: +1. Brooke has trouble with new groups, but does well with his bread and butter.

3 hours ago, Zenobiyl said:

Everett and Charles Percy hit the campaign trail again with a tour through Allentown, Pennsylvania. (Rally Pennsylvania)

“Many of you have heard about Everett recently. However, even before his rapid rise in the polls Dirksen brought a certain charisma to D.C. that few politicians ever bring.

As the junior senator from Illinois I’ve been by his side for years, which is why I am certain he has the tenacity to be your next president.

I remember the time he tried to pass a bill amending lend lease, by waiting until the democrats took a lunch break. When they came back, the democrats found Everett with a grin on his face, and a law in his hands.

I also remember the time when Everett spent over fifty days negotiating to break a southern filibuster against the Civil Rights Act.

I remember the long speeches and longer negotiations, where Everett would use his mastery of persuasion to turn ideas into laws. Even before he became Senate Minority Leader, Everett was a giant in the Senate.

Who better to fight for our freedoms, at home and abroad? 

(Percy points to Everett)

Vote Everett, because he will fight for you.”

Everett seeks the support of Governor John Volpe (Endorsement John Volpe)

Before beginning the meeting Everett solemnly thanks John for his great service to the United States (Military Service). After exchanging pleasantries about the wife and kids the real meat of the discussion begins.

Everett leans on their shared moderate views and contributions to the civil rights movement. He mentions how some of the policies of Massachusetts will be expanded nationwide under a Dirksen presidency, and that Everett is growing in the polls faster than nearly any other candidate. Everett makes a subtle remark about the benefits of supporting a presidential campaign early, and mentions potential vacancies in Government agencies. Secretary of Transportation, perhaps?

Everett seeks the support of Governor Claude Kirk Jr. (Endorsement Claude Kirk Jr.)

Everett begins the meeting with thanking Claude for his service, similarly to his meeting with John earlier today. After more small talk Everett smoothly transitions to the topic for the meeting.

Everett explains to Claude why his campaign is the best one for moderates in America. How Dirksen’s experience, tenacity, and bipartisan support in DC makes him the perfect candidate for president. Everett flatters Claude, speaking highly of his entrepreneurial character and talent for winning difficult elections.

Finally, Everett delivers the bombshell. His Amendment to the “One man One vote” doctrine would allow Claude to redraw his state’s districts to give the urban centers less voting power. Perhaps this would help him flip his state, which has been run by democrats in the state house and senate?

Rally (1!) Dirksen faints halfway through the campaign rally, he is taken elsewhere and recovers but on Doctor's Orders has to rest for the next week and cancel his schedule.

Influence (2): The Dirksen campaign has to re-schedule. Volpe understands.

Influence (2): The Dirksen campaign has to re-schedule. Kirk is understanding.

Overall: -11. A devastating week for Dirksen as his reserve of momentum is wiped out by a passing health scare.

2 hours ago, The Blood said:

Influence: Wallace woes Conservative Democrats in Wisconsin who are weary of Wallace's past segregationist focus.

Rally: Wallace rallies in Pennsylvania. 

Influence (8): Wallace, when in a confined room, does a much better job explaining his segregationist past.

Rally (9): Wallace fires up the crowd and breaks into Pennsylvania successfully!

Rally (10!): As Wisconsin comes down the home stretch, the Wallace campaign demonstrates extreme strength as Wallace whips up support across the state.

Overall: +13. Wallace's campaign is on fire this week as it demonstrate its extreme populist appeal with two large rallies in the working class cities of Milwaukee and Pittsburgh and Conservative Democrat enthusiasm jumps through the roof.

Nelson Rockefeller Absence Roll

5/3/3

Overall: -4. Rockefeller's absence is not covered extensively but his continued lack of presence on the air waves is gravely concerning to supporters.

Stephen Young Absence Roll

3/2

Overall: -5. Young takes the week off and party bosses in Ohio begin shopping around for national candidates. How ungrateful!