270soft Forum

Reagan04's 1968-Present Hybrid RP Extravanganza!

Hello friends! After the (not so) successful conclusion of our 2020 long-style RP, I have decided to embark our community on a journey of epic proportions. Keeping the story-telling flair of any good Reagan04 (Dobs) RP but combining it with the ease of the prevalent Quick-Shot campaign system, I have created the forum's very on Hybrid Model.

The mechanics are simple. Each Player will choose a candidate. This candidate will belong to a faction. Controlling that candidate means you hold favor with that faction (and eventually you hope to unite all the factions if you win your nomination). 

To win the nomination, you may hold 3 events per turn. These, however, can and should be more than simple campaign events. Because primaries are only just beginning to find their legs, candidates may also schmooze party bosses for delegates and work important figures among interest groups for endorsements (More on this in a moment)

Once the nominee has been chosen, each player will present a list of primary candidates they'd like to see run (if they want to have specific people run). If they forgo the list, a die will be rolled to see how their faction performs in winning primaries for Senate, Governor, and House seats. The further to the left and right each faction is, the more difficult it will be to win a primary... for now.

Following the primaries, each party will come together to manage the general election after each other. The losing Presidential candidates can guide their Congressional and State campaigns to ensure downballot success while the Presidential nominees wage war for the White House. 

Following the elections there will be a short governing period followed by midterms.

The beauty of this RP is that it entirely depends on how far to the right or left or up or down the players and the dice take us. It's up to strategy and her least favorite mistress: chance.

---

The stage is set, February 21st, 1968. 

Democratic Primary

President Lyndon Johnson seems to have an iron grip on the conservative, moderate, and liberal factions of the Democratic Party. While the Progressives are disenchanted, their standardbearer, Eugene McCarthy, has failed to make major headway in national polling. Still, the national unpopularity of President Johnson leads some to believe cracks are forming within the party. A glimmer of hope shines in the distance. The ill-polled March 12th New Hampshire primary could begin our primary season with a bang. The New Deal coalition is shaky, the interest groups among the Democratic Party seem to be far less content to live under the same roof with Johnson than they did with FDR. Could it bring the sitting President down?

(Candidates currently running are in italics. You may play as a favorite son and attempt to break them onto the national stage. Your entrance as a candidate may influence the state of the race.)

Liberals

Vice President Hubert Humphrey (D-MN)

Sen. Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY) @Herbert Hoover

Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA)

Sen. Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) (Progressive)

Sen. George McGovern (D-SD) (Progressive) @TheLiberalKitten

Moderates

President Lyndon B. Johnson (D-TX) @Hestia11

Attn. Gen. Thomas C. Lynch (D-CA) *Favorite Son* @MishFox

Sen. George Smathers (D-FL) *Favorite Son*

Sen. Stephen Young (D-OH) *Favorite Son* @TheLiberalKitten

Conservatives

Gov. Roger D. Branigin (D-IN) *Favorite Son*

Gov. George Wallace (D-AL) @The Blood

(YOU MAY GET OTHER CANDIDATES APPROVED BY ME)

Democratic Interest Groups: Labor Unions, Local Party Bosses/Machines, Students/Academia, Catholics, Black people, Ethnic Americans (Jews, Hispanics, Southern and Eastern Europeans), Mainstream Southern Democrats, Dixiecrats/Boll Weavils.

Each candidates will have different strengths among these groups and each group will have different levels of influence in each state and their delegation.

Republican Primary

The Republican primary mirrors that of the Democratic Party. There is a clear favorite in Vice President Richard Nixon who has solid support among the moderates and Eisenhower Republicans. Without a clear challenge from the right, the party's conservative flank offers lukewarm support of his candidacy.  Favorite son Ronald Reagan has been receiving limited national support but without a push from the candidate himself or a surprise entrance of Senator Goldwater, the national conservative movement is likely to fall to Nixon. Nixon does, however, have two credibly challenges from his left. Nelson Rockefeller and George Romney are both threats to Nixon's domination and are favored among the party's liberal flank.

(Candidates currently running are in italics. You may play as a favorite son and attempt to break them onto the national stage. Your entrance as a candidate may influence the state of the race.)

Liberals

Sen. Edward Brooke (R-MA) @WVProgressive

Sen. Hiram Fong (R-HI) *Favorite Son*

Mayor John Lindsay (R-NY) @Fbarbarossa

Amb. Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (R-MA)

Gov. Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY) @buenoboss

Gov. George Romney (R-MI)

Sen. Charles Percy (R-IL)

Moderates

Gov. Spiro Agnew (R-MD) *Favorite Son*

Sen. Clifford Case (R-NJ) *Favorite Son*

Sen. Everett Dirksen (R-IL) @Zenobiyl

Sen. Mark Hatfield (R-OR)

Gov. James Rhodes (R-OH) *Favorite Son*

Vice President Richard Nixon (R-CA) @PringlesN7

Gov. John Volpe (R-MA) *Favorite Son*

Conservatives

Sen. John Tower (R-TX) *Favorite Son*

Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-AZ) (Ultra Conservative) @Cenzonico

Gov. Ronald Reagan (R-CA) *Favorite Son* @BeetleJuice

(YOU MAY GET OTHER CANDIDATES APPROVED BY ME)

Republican Interest Groups: New Right Activists, Eisenhower Republicans, Rockefeller Republicans, Black and Tan Southerners, Lily White Southerners, Business Conservatives

---

One we get enough players we'll get the game going with some polling and our first events coupled with news headlines. I look forward to a fantastic RP with y'all!

So my friends, the game is afoot. Take the reigns of history and seize the march of time!

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Influence (3): The dinner results in Nixon spilling A1 sauce on his tie, not very presidential Rally (6): The Governor pumps up turnout and an energized Nixon carries the rest. Rally (4): Tu

*sigh*

Influence George McGovern meets with student groups throughout New Hampshire where he distributes flyers and meets everyone that he can Schmooze McGovern invites New Hampshire Democrats to a priva

Posted Images

1 minute ago, WVProgressive said:

Could I get Sen. Edward Brooke of Massachusetts, @Reagan04? If not him, then I'll take Gene McCarthy.

You got him!

I’d like to run as a democrat under Earl Warren. He was the chief justice of the Supreme Court in 1968, but retired the next year. What if he went for a higher office instead? :)

1 minute ago, Zenobiyl said:

I’d like to run as a democrat under Earl Warren. He was the chief justice of the Supreme Court in 1968, but retired the next year. What if he went for a higher office instead? :)

I could allow Earl Warren, but he would be a Republican.

2 minutes ago, Zenobiyl said:

Another issue with Warren is that he'd be 77 at the time and would need to immediately resign to run. I'm not sure how plausible it is. Do you have a second choice?

Biden is 77, so its not impossible

I think he would fit as a “liberal” the best.

I understand that but 1968 is very different from 2020. Warren would die in 1974 and with the added stress the Presidency likely in the first term. All I'm saying is that you probably won't get much support and it would be highly unusual for a 77 year old chief justice to retire only to run for the Presidency. I think he resigned because he was done with public service.

20 minutes ago, MishFox said:

I'm thinking maybe Strom Thurmond or maybe Birch Bayh? I don't know a ton of politicians at the time so im open to suggestions. 

I mean, Wallace already represents most of Thurmond's potential base, so I think that would just split the vote(And yes, I am saying this in part because I am Wallace, if you want Thurmond, I don't want to discourage you or anything, but it would massively hurt me and you unless I dropped out). Bayh is interesting, specifically if you ran him as a candidate focused on abolishing the EC and the Equal Rights Amendment, but it's up to you.

12 minutes ago, MishFox said:

I'm thinking maybe Strom Thurmond or maybe Birch Bayh? I don't know a ton of politicians at the time so im open to suggestions. 

As Blood pointed out, Thurmond's base would be a bit depleted. Bayh is definetly young in his career to take on the Presidency but so is Brooke so I could see it. Bayh's main issue is that in a field of liberal heavyweights, he'd have trouble gaining traction most likely. Moderate Republicans have options like Everett Dirksen if you're so inclined but it really is all up to you. If you'd like to run a conservative republican as Thurmond or liberal democrat as Bayh that's entirely fine! Just let me know and we'll also get you into the discord.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BeetleJuice said:

Can I get reagan?

Absolutely! To clarify, are you looking to run a national campaign or simply function as a favorite son?