270soft Forum

Crusader Kings III is fantastic

I'm a Duke in the early middle ages.  I spoke out about the Pope's recently exposed sins -- the Pope responded by excommunicating me.

I considered trying to have him murdered, but there's no guarantee the next Pope would like me any better.  So I tried blackmailing the current Pope instead.

The game gave me...this.  (The man, of course, is the Pope.)image.thumb.png.f5914f9cd83d2c1572faf76952089917.png

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm a Duke in the early middle ages.  I spoke out about the Pope's recently exposed sins -- the Pope responded by excommunicating me.

I considered trying to have him murdered, but there's no guarantee the next Pope would like me any better.  So I tried blackmailing the current Pope instead.

The game gave me...this.  (The man, of course, is the Pope.)image.thumb.png.f5914f9cd83d2c1572faf76952089917.png

I’ve been playing it about an hour a day. I like it even more than CK2. 

3 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

It makes even my best computer run horribly so far :(

It runs better than CK2 on my cpu. CK2 was so slow on my CK2 it was unplayable. 

Just now, vcczar said:

It runs better than CK2 on my cpu. CK2 was so slow on my CK2 it was unplayable. 

Really? That's surprising. CK2 runs much better for me. I have a Mac and I'm not sure what kind, so could just be differences between systems.

1 minute ago, Hestia11 said:

Really? That's surprising. CK2 runs much better for me. I have a Mac and I'm not sure what kind, so could just be differences between systems.

I have a PC laptop

34 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Only weird thing that’s happened in my game is that I managed to have 18 children by a single couple. I also saw that the Byzantine Emperor who was quickly gobbling up Europe had gigantism and was personally leading the invasion. 

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Only weird thing that’s happened in my game is that I managed to have 18 children by a single couple. I also saw that the Byzantine Emperor who was quickly gobbling up Europe had gigantism and was personally leading the invasion. 

I did a hands-off "observe" game and saw Iceland conquer Ireland. Haha.

Also saw France conquer Northern Africa, Spain, Portugal, Northern Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, England, and Scotland.  Enormous French Empire eating up the whole map...

Then the Empire crumbled, so you had things like Scotland being in Northern Africa and Sweden, but not in actual Scotland.

11 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

The game likely has awhile before it’s truly amazing, but it’s the best launch title for Paradox in many years, and I’ve been playing since HOI3/EU3. 

I remember playing the original EU

I played CK2 but I don't know if I really like this game. Some options are great and the depth is probably not reached in another game, but I also didn't get much functions at first. The Total War series is way better in my opinion. Medieval II, Rome, Empire, Napoleon, Shogun II, oh boy I played them like crazy.

Btw @Actinguy and @Herbert Hoover got friend requests from me on Steam ;)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I played CK2 but I don't know if I really like this game. Some options are great and the depth is probably not reached in another game, but I also didn't get much functions at first. The Total War series is way better in my opinion. Medieval II, Rome, Empire, Napoleon, Shogun II, oh boy I played them like crazy.

Wow really? Almost every Paradox game I've played feels infinitely better than anything in the Total War series.

Just got it. Anyone have any country suggestions? I want to eventually play as the Byzantines and restore the Roman Empire but I'd like to start with a small, mostly peaceful country at first to learn.

Just now, Cenzonico said:

I've been considering getting this game though I already have a feeling that I will have to shell out a lot for future expansions. 

The season pass is $25 for three expansions, cheaper than most Paradox games.

Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

The season pass is $25 for three expansions, cheaper than most Paradox games.

True though two of those are just flavor packs. The game is super new though, so we'll have to see what Paradox puts out. If anything I'll just wait for a sale, did the same with Hearts of Iron 4.

13 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Just got it. Anyone have any country suggestions? I want to eventually play as the Byzantines and restore the Roman Empire but I'd like to start with a small, mostly peaceful country at first to learn.

Play the tutorial, then keep playing as that guy when the tutorial ends.  I was able to get his family to conquer Ireland and become King within a single generation.

42 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Be the Count of Wurttemberg to learn

4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

4 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I'm considering buying it just to play as the Byzantine empire. But I might also wait for a sale.

4 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

It makes even my best computer run horribly so far :(

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

I’ve been playing it about an hour a day. I like it even more than CK2. 

3 hours ago, Herbert Hoover said:

The game likely has awhile before it’s truly amazing, but it’s the best launch title for Paradox in many years, and I’ve been playing since HOI3/EU3. 

2 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

1 hour ago, Mark_W said:

Wow really? Almost every Paradox game I've played feels infinitely better than anything in the Total War series.

1 hour ago, PringlesN7 said:

Game runs about the same as CK2 for me tbh. Ryzen 5 3600x and RX 580 here. (32 GB of RAM)

1 hour ago, Cenzonico said:

I've been considering getting this game though I already have a feeling that I will have to shell out a lot for future expansions. 

Call me an old gronyard, but I'm afraid I'm still a Civ2 stalwart at all heart. With Test of Time, the fan-made Test of Time code cracking patch, and all the tonnes of fan-made graphics on the Civ2 Scenario League sub-forums of the CivFanatics Forums, the amount of customizability is just incredible, now, for a game from the late '90's!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Patine said:

Call me an old gronyard, but I'm afraid I'm still a Civ2 stalwart at all heart. With Test of Time, the fan-made Test of Time code cracking patch, and all the tonnes of fan-made graphics on the Civ2 Scenario League sub-forums of the CivFanatics Forums, the amount of customizability is just incredible, now, for a game from the late '90's!

You’re an old gronyard.

UPDATE:

The disagreements between the Pope and I have continued to escalate for the past twelve years.

So he challenged me to a duel.

The POPE.

Challenged me.

To a DUEL.

I won...barely.  Left him with a significant leg wound.  But he's 67 and I'm in my early 40's, so it was an embarrassing display nonetheless.  Haha.

image.thumb.png.f292e4c714b126457045794a3047ce81.png

31 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

UPDATE:

The disagreements between the Pope and I have continued to escalate for the past twelve years.

So he challenged me to a duel.

The POPE.

Challenged me.

To a DUEL.

I won...barely.  Left him with a significant leg wound.  But he's 67 and I'm in my early 40's, so it was an embarrassing display nonetheless.  Haha.

image.thumb.png.f292e4c714b126457045794a3047ce81.png

In my observer game, the female ruler of Iceland was an alcoholic incestuous 67 year old who was betrothed to a 16 year old prisoner.