270soft Forum

What Kind of Coastal Person Are You?

What Kind of Coastal Person Are You?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to live on the West Coast where would you want to live? (Listing only places that can be reached by the ocean)

• Vancouver (Canada)
    • Seattle
    • Portland
    • San Francisco
    • Los Angeles
    • San Diego
    • Tijuana (Mexico)
  2. 2. If you had to live in on the Gulf Coast where would you live?

3. 3. If you had to live on the East Coast where would you live?

• Miami
    • Jacksonville
    • Savannah
    • Charleston
    • Wilmington (North Carolina)
    • Virginia Beach
    • Richmond
    • Washington DC
    • Baltimore
    • Wilmington (Delaware)
    • Philadelphia
    • Cape May
    • Atlantic City
    • New York City
    • Montauk
    • New Haven
    • Newport
    • Nantucket
    • Boston
    • Salem
    • Portsmouth
    • Portland
    • Saint John (Canada)
  4. 4. Where would you live if you lived in the Great Lakes/Saint Lawrence Coasts?

• Quebec City (Canada)
    • Montreal (Canada)
    • Toronto (Canada)
    • Buffalo
    • Cleveland
    • Detroit
    • Green Bay
    • Milwaukee
    • Chicago
    • Sault Ste Marie (Canada)
    • Thunder Bay (Canada)
    • Duluth
  5. 5. What Kind of Coastal Person Are You If You Had to Pick a Coas?

45 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

I love Miami so much. Just would be so expensive to live there. 

I've never been, but my great-great grandfather went there in 1868 when Miami was an old barracks and only three houses. He was researching and collecting birds in Florida for Harvard (He was from Massachusetts). He sketched all of Miami (the three houses) while he was there. His sketch still exists. It's crazy because by the time he died, Miami was an authentic city with electric lights. 

San Diego is the only city I’d be interested in on the west coast, I’d actually really enjoy San Diego.

Not a huge fan of the Lake Coasts, but Green Bay and Duluth are tolerable.

DC, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Richmond, Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington are all good options on the East Coast. 

Gulf Coast has to win though, absolutely no bad option here. I do absolutely love Sarasota though.

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

San Diego is the only city I’d be interested in on the west coast, I’d actually really enjoy San Diego.

Not a huge fan of the Lake Coasts, but Green Bay and Duluth are tolerable.

DC, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Richmond, Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington are all good options on the East Coast. 

Gulf Coast has to win though, absolutely no bad option here. I do absolutely love Sarasota though.

As someone who’s lived in Jacksonville, Jacksonville is complete shit and totally isn’t what people imagine it to be like.

But MAN Do you just have to love it. 

3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Of course, there's the OTHER Gulf Coast - run by Fundamentalist Islamist Absolute Monarchs. But the average GDP per capita's through the roof... :P

I recently had the opportunity to take a job opportunity in Charleston, SC.  Was extremely excited until I scoped out the schools.  We ended up not pursuing the opportunity after all.

I make a great living in an extremely cheap part of the Midwest, where we live like kings.  We use some of that saved money to visit my in-laws on the west coast (where we stay for free, of course) 2-3 times per year.  It’s the very best of both worlds.

I also used to live in DC.  Loved my political job but absolutely hated living there, terrible for my family.  We left at the first opportunity and will never move back there no matter how much money is offered.

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I recently had the opportunity to take a job opportunity in Charleston, SC.  Was extremely excited until I scoped out the schools.  We ended up not pursuing the opportunity after all.

I make a great living in an extremely cheap part of the Midwest, where we live like kings.  We use some of that saved money to visit my in-laws on the west coast (where we stay for free, of course) 2-3 times per year.  It’s the very best of both worlds.

I also used to live in DC.  Loved my political job but absolutely hated living there, terrible for my family.  We left at the first opportunity and will never move back there no matter how much money is offered.

How bad were the schools?

Can only speak for the West Coast. I've visited all those cities except L.A. and Tijuana. Out of those choices, I'd split my time between Vancouver (summer) and San Diego (winter). If I had to pick just one, probably San Diego.

38 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Can only speak for the West Coast. I've visited all those cities except L.A. and Tijuana. Out of those choices, I'd split my time between Vancouver (summer) and San Diego (winter). If I had to pick just one, probably San Diego.

Are you going to take the poll? I've never been to the West Coast. You needn't have been to the places to select it. Just make a judgment based off what you know of the places. 

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Are you going to take the poll? I've never been to the West Coast. You needn't have been to the places to select it. Just make a judgment based off what you know of the places. 

Picked Green Bay. I've traveled through Wisconsin a couple times, but not near the coast - liked Madison the most of any place I stopped.

No idea re south coast.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:00 PM, vcczar said:

New poll

The only coast I've visited is the West Coast - and only twice in my life - once in the Greater Victoria Area and up to about as far as Nanaimo up Vancouver Island, and once in the Greater Los Angeles Area. But I don't think I'm a coastal person at all. I am a person of High Northern Prairies. The indigenous language of the Cree, the First Nation whose homeland includes Edmonton and a huge area around it, and who are by far the biggest First Nation ethnic bloc in Edmonton, and have many reservations with an hour or two drive, and that my girlfriend of about 20 years is Treaty Status of, has no word for "sea."