270soft Forum

BLM protests have been overwhelmingly peaceful

20 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Only 7% of the bombs dropped destroyed houses - overwhelmingly peaceful bombing run!

Amazing for you to compare demonstrations for racial justice to bombs, instruments of war meant to destroy.

The consequence of your logic is a belief that the intended purposes of a peaceful demonstration is a riot and that only 7% managed to be effective in their goal.

• Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Only 7% of the bombs dropped destroyed houses - overwhelmingly peaceful bombing run!

Weak analogy. Also, those 7% of unpeaceful protests probably only involved a relative handful of people to make it unpeaceful. 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Why is it a weak analogy?

I can't believe I actually have to explain this to you. The intent of peaceful protest is not the same as the intent of dropping a bomb. Also, considering the 7% of unpeaceful protests were likely composed primarily of peaceful protests.

A better analogy would be if you had 100 Civil War reenactment battles. In 7% of these reenactments, a few of the Civil War reenactors at these 1,000+ person reenactments put real bullets in their guns, wounding several other people. The anti-reenactment media then focuses almost exclusively on these incidents , showing video of this, which then goes viral on Twitter. Politicians then use these few examples to represent the majority of this movement. Later, Trump supporting people in forums make weak analogies to suggest that the protests were akin to a unified bombing effort. 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, pilight said:

I believe it because it's true, despite the media misrepresentation.

When they swarm people minding their business eating outside at a resteraunt that isnt covered and while it might not be violent it is harrassment and totally uncalled and definitely not peaceful.  So yeah that article is a crock of shit.

13 minutes ago, billay said:

When they swarm people minding their business eating outside at a resteraunt that isnt covered and while it might not be violent it is harrassment and totally uncalled and definitely not peaceful.  So yeah that article is a crock of shit.

Sorry you were inconvenienced.  If you consider that harassment, you should definitely favor defunding the police.  They do far worse on a daily basis.

50 minutes ago, vcczar said:

A better analogy would be if you had 100 Civil War reenactment battles. In 7% of these reenactments, a few of the Civil War reenactors at these 1,000+ person reenactments put real bullets in their guns, wounding several other people. The anti-reenactment media then focuses almost exclusively on these incidents , showing video of this, which then goes viral on Twitter. Politicians then use these few examples to represent the majority of this movement. Later, Trump supporting people in forums make weak analogies to suggest that the protests were akin to a unified bombing effort. 

If you had Civil War reenactors where 7% of their reenactments featured live rounds where people got injured, I do not think the headline should be "Civil War reenactments overwhelmingly peaceful" ...

15 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

If you had Civil War reenactors where 7% of their reenactments featured live rounds where people got injured, I do not think the headline should be "Civil War reenactments overwhelmingly peaceful" ...

Yes, if there was a major effort to say they weren’t peaceful. This is actually something that does happen occasionally at civil war re-enactments. However, even my analogy isn’t perfect since you don’t get anarchists with loaded guns that join these things. You do get occasional anarchists that join all sorts of protests, BLM or otherwise that are there to do damage. The looters during these protests are usually unattached to the protests. They’re scavengers seeing an opportunity to take stuff. 

I don’t think any BLM protest has been as damaging as when the Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl. There’s likely a much higher % of unpeaceful sports celebrations. I also remember when cars being overturned and other property damage when the Dallas Cowboys won one of their Super Bowls. These events rarely get criticism. 

1 hour ago, billay said:

I've seen this analogy used too and it's also terrible. This assumes it's ok when sports fans riot (its not) 

Well, indeed, the Civil War enactment and sports hooliganism analogies were quite flawed. But not REMOTELY close to as horrid and highly inappropriate and WAY off base as @admin_270's bombing run analogy you said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in criticism of, not even grouping it critically with the other two.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Patine said:

Well, indeed, the Civil War enactment and sports hooliganism analogies were quite flawed. But not REMOTELY close to as horrid and highly inappropriate and WAY off base as @admin_270's bombing run analogy you said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in criticism of, not even grouping it critically with the other two.

I thought you had me on ignore? 

1 hour ago, pilight said:

Comparing mostly unarmed protesters to groups that all carry weapons or groups carrying out military operations is ludicrous

Yes, but it works in the opposite direction you think it does. That an ostensibly peaceful movement has so many violent episodes indicates a big problem with the movement. With bombing runs, it's of course expected that they'll destroy some buildings.

2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Yes, but it works in the opposite direction you think it does. That an ostensibly peaceful movement has so many violent episodes indicates a big problem with the movement. With bombing runs, it's of course expected that they'll destroy some buildings.

Too much Glen Beck and Ann Coulter school of rhetoric there. It's killing your credibility, completely.

• Thanks 1