270soft Forum

Kamala Harris was the worst Choice for Biden.

37 minutes ago, CPE said:

they can make serious inroads among black men if they play their cards right.  African-Americans generally tend to be much more ideologically conservative than white Americans nowadays, especially in the South.  Strong church attendance and religious affiliation, most don't support the LGBT movement, and Trump not being the usual rich white politician (he was an outsider before his Presidency) gives them an opening into the black community.

Interesting comments - thanks for this.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, CPE said:

Reading over your comment again, I think I know where we may have a misunderstanding.  In actual usage, African-"American" refers to the United States, while your definition refers to the Americas as a whole (a region).  I understand your point now, but will argue that she still is not a de facto African-American.  No one in the Caribbean region refers to themselves as such, and you would be hard pressed to find someone who identifies with the nomenclature in Jamaica.  It is an American term (as in the United States) alone.

I was unaware of this. I've heard the term "Native American" applied to people from the Americas but outside the United States, and assumed the term "African-American" was used the same way. Still, she has African heritage and is an American, so there really shouldn't be any question as to whether she's an African-American or not.

21 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

@admin_270 @Patine do blacks up north call themselves African american or african Canadian? Or just black?

Other than the descendants of those who settled after arriving at the terminous point of the Underground Railroad in the 1840's to 1860's, as well as Black Tories moving there during and after the American Revolutionary War, and the descendants of the little-known Nova Scotia Slave Trade, which ended about the time it did in most of New England (so, pre-American Revolution), all of whom are collectively a minority of Blacks in Canada (except maybe in some parts of some cities the Eastern part of the country, which I haven't visited), the vast majority of Blacks in Canada have a direct and traceable (almost never more than 3 or 4 generations) to direct immigrants from Africa or the Caribbean. "Black," is a standard term collectively, here, that I've seen - both as an exonym and endonym. "African-Canadian," would be used by someone being a smart-ass. Although, <Insert Specific African or Caribbean Nationality> Canadian IS used like any immigrant of 1st Generation, or easily traceable heritage, to that specific nation, like that convention is used is for <Insert Nationality of Origin> <Insert First World Nationality of Residence> is across other First World Nations, including the U.S.

3 hours ago, Patine said:

<Insert Specific African or Caribbean Nationality> Canadian IS used like any immigrant of 1st Generation, or easily traceable heritage, to that specific nation

Good point. If Kamala Harris were Canadian, she might be described as Indo-Canadian and Jamaican-Canadian. 

I ran 100 sims with each potential VP on the built in 2020 campaign.  The best was a tie between Swalwell and Messam, each with 78 wins.  Worst was Becerra with 59.  Harris was right in the middle of the pack.

• Thanks 1
On 9/3/2020 at 4:09 PM, Hestia11 said:

"usual rich white politician"... He isn't a usual politician but yes he is rich and white? 

I mean the typical country club "good old boy" type.  If you ever lived in the South, you would know what I mean.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:57 PM, jnewt said:

I was unaware of this. I've heard the term "Native American" applied to people from the Americas but outside the United States, and assumed the term "African-American" was used the same way. Still, she has African heritage and is an American, so there really shouldn't be any question as to whether she's an African-American or not.

Fair enough.  I can't expect someone who lives in the United States to know that the term isn't utilized abroad.  Well, whatever the terminology means, it is clear that a good portion of the American black community has issue with her.  I can't blame them either, it is much akin to calling all white people the same.  English, Irish, Germans, Polish, Russians, etc. all have different histories and cultures.  I personally hate how identity politics has ascribed worth to  individuals based on nothing more than the colour of their skin/genitalia.