270soft Forum

Reform Poll  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Most Needs Reform?

• Executive Branch
    • Legislative Branch
    • Judicial Branch
    • The Military
    • The state government's relation to the federal government and federal elections
    • Electoral reform
    • The media
    • The electorate
    • Federal Reserve Bank
    • CIA/FBI

1. Executive needs to give lots of its power back to the legislative as per the non-delegation doctrine. Each successive President has made his worse and Trump has thrown it into overdrive. This is the most present threat to republican government.

2. Electoral Reform: We need ranked choice voting asap.

3. State governments, like the legislature, really need to reclaim lots of their authority under the 10th amendment. This is the 2nd most present threat to republican government.

4. Federal Reserve: this bitch needs to gtfo 

5. CIA/FBI, y’all already know

the rest are fine with no need for major reform, maybe some minor tweaks.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

1. Executive needs to give lots of its power back to the legislative as per the non-delegation doctrine. Each successive President has made his worse and Trump has thrown it into overdrive. This is the most present threat to republican government.

We can see this phenomenon mirrored (and it's potential disastrous results) in the first nation in history to adopt a Republican form of Government - the Roman Republic of Antiquity. As conquerors and generals in wars abroad gained more popularity among the Roman people than "stay-at-home, bureaucratic," politicians, and the generals and conquerors returned to glorious Triumph in Rome, and were elected as Consul (the chief-executive title of the Roman Republic) based on their military credential and populist appeal over any real productive plans or needed reforms (especially handling the Governance of the rapidly growing territory under Rome because of these endless wars), the Populares (the military/populist "party," if you will) passed restrictive laws to curb "sedition," by the Optimates (the conservative domestic/parochial "party,"). The declaration of Julius Gaius Caesar as "Dictator for Life, with unlimited power and the right to choose his successor," by the height of populism and a desire, at the time, for stability. in a contentious decision by the Senate led a cabal of dissident Senators, including his long-time friend and ally, Brutus, to fear he was trying to reinstall the Roman Kingship that was abolished "for all time," when the Republic was proclaimed, and these Senators FAMOUSLY assassinated him on the steps of the Senate building. Less than two decades later, the Senator Octavian, having defeated in a series of wars, all of his relevant opponents in Rome, was renamed by the Senate as "Augustus," and took the original title "Princeps," (First Citizen) at a ploy for a "New Republic," but historiography instead sees him as the first "Imperator," (literally "Commander," but usually the root of "Emperor,") and his ascension marking the death of the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire. The danger is indeed visible, but not yet imminent.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

We can see this phenomenon mirrored (and it's potential disastrous results) in the first nation in history to adopt a Republican form of Government - the Roman Republic of Antiquity. As conquerors and generals in wars abroad gained more popularity among the Roman people than "stay-at-home, bureaucratic," politicians, and the generals and conquerors returned to glorious Triumph in Rome, and were elected as Consul (the chief-executive title of the Roman Republic) based on their military credential and populist appeal over any real productive plans or needed reforms (especially handling the Governance of the rapidly growing territory under Rome because of these endless wars), the Populares (the military/populist "party," if you will) passed restrictive laws to curb "sedition," by the Optimates (the conservative domestic/parochial "party,"). The declaration of Julius Gaius Caesar as "Dictator for Life, with unlimited power and the right to choose his successor," by the height of populism and a desire, at the time, for stability. in a contentious decision by the Senate led a cabal of dissident Senators, including his long-time friend and ally, Brutus, to fear he was trying to reinstall the Roman Kingship that was abolished "for all time," when the Republic was proclaimed, and these Senators FAMOUSLY assassinated him on the steps of the Senate building. Less than two decades later, the Senator Octavian, having defeated in a series of wars, all of his relevant opponents in Rome, was renamed by the Senate as "Augustus," and took the original title "Princeps," (First Citizen) at a ploy for a "New Republic," but historiography instead sees him as the first "Imperator," (literally "Commander," but usually the root of "Emperor,") and his ascension marking the death of the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire. The danger is indeed visible, but not yet imminent.

Are you going to take the poll?

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, vcczar said:

6 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

But are you going to take it?

Saying which aspect MOST needs reform is a very difficult call. They're ALL in dire, grave, and crippling need of reform.

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

12 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

But are you going to take it?

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Saying which aspect MOST needs reform is a very difficult call. They're ALL in dire, grave, and crippling need of reform.

I'm sorry, guys, where are my manners?

@vcczar and @SilentLiberty, this is @Patine.  

@Patine, this is @vcczar and @SilentLiberty.

Forgive me, I did not previously realize that you guys hadn't met.

#PatineDoesNotTakePolls

;c)

• Haha 4
8 hours ago, Patine said:

You have to make a decision. Obviously, many of us think all or most are in dire need. But we make a choice. Are you like this at a restaurant? 

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You have to make a decision. Obviously, many of us think all or most are in dire need. But we make a choice. Are you like this at a restaurant? 

Patine: I'll have a Pepsi please

Waitress: Is Coke okay?

Patine: *gets up and leaves*

• Haha 1
Just now, ThePotatoWalrus said:

You’re assuming he would accept something as achievable as a Pepsi.

”Yes, I’d like a drink which has not existed since this 14th century, the recipe for which has been lost to the tides of time.  Does that come with free refills?”

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Hey thats understandable!

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Cue rant about the evils of restaurants.  ;c)

I prefer Pepsi, because it's logo resembles the South Korean flag. Otherwise I don't care. I try to avoid drinking both as I rely on water, tea and self-made fruit juices.

I’m a coke man myself and I won’t drink Pepsi. I will just order a sweet tea.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

I’m a coke man myself and I won’t drink Pepsi. I will just order a sweet tea.

Heretic! 😛 Could be regional differences as well...Northerners are more likely (especially Midwesterners) to like Pepsi. 

Brandwatch React on Twitter: "#Soda: #CocaCola vs #Pepsi. How do US states  compare. http://t.co/xdXZBiGN7s http://t.co/PtKstGnuDF"

Coke vs. Pepsi by country and state: Social listening analysis

The Internet gives us at least two maps on this

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

The Internet gives us at least two maps on this

The accuracy is of course doubtful.

7 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

The accuracy is of course doubtful.

Yeah the South, especially GA is 100% coke country. Coca-Cola was invented in Atlanta and many southerners’ word for “soda” is “coke”. That’s how ingrained it is.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

2. Electoral Reform: We need ranked choice voting asap.

3. State governments, like the legislature, really need to reclaim lots of their authority under the 10th amendment. This is the 2nd most present threat to republican government.

4. Federal Reserve: this bitch needs to gtfo 

5. CIA/FBI, y’all already know

the rest are fine with no need for major reform, maybe some minor tweaks.

This!

20 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

I drink coffee, not soft drinks. Soft drinks are low-grade poison. Not as bad of low-grade poison as alcohol, nor tobacco, but definitely with it's own nasty toxicity.

20 hours ago, vcczar said:

A restaurant is a bad metaphor, despite a bad of posters making a "meal," of it while I was asleep. :P

I think a better analog would be checking into and emergency ward with a bunch of grievous injuries, and the receiving nurse says, "we're short-staffed tonight, due to massive intake. What would you like us to prioritize." I think that analog FAR better indicates my feelings.