Jump to content
270soft Forum

Tale of Two Strategies


Recommended Posts

Based off my observation of the DNC and RNC, here is what I think the strategy is going into the GE:

  • Democrats
    • Energize NeverTrump Republicans, reluctant Trump supporters, and moderate independents.
    • Energize those hit hard by Covid and the recession, capitalizing on Biden's empathy
    • Energize the pro-military, national defense people that are uneasy with Trump's foreign affairs policies
    • Energize identity Democrats
    • Overall, Biden is banking on Trump fatigue and high urban turnout
  • Republicans
    • Energize suburban voters that fear BLM and protests.
    • Energize the religious vote
    • Deflate the minority (blacks and women and immigrant citizens) advantage Democrats have by overemphasizing GOP minority voters.

I actually think the GOP strategy is smarter, if they can pull it off. I fear the Democratic strategy might repeat a mistake of undervaluing its Sanders-Warren wing supporters again. =

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Energize those hit hard by Covid and the recession, capitalizing on Biden's empathy

If Biden wins, this is why.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

If Biden wins, this is why.

Within a few weeks will be the start of the College Football season. The Big Ten( Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin )is one of the few conferences that will be suspending their 2020-21 season. The schools bolded are in potential 2020 swing states. Every Saturday until November will be quiet in the midwest because of COVID. Michigan's "Big House" capacity is over 100,000! This year it will be 0. There is no way that people in the midwest cannot ignore the lingering effects of COVID-19(and the poor response) has placed on our daily life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Within a few weeks will be the start of the College Football season. The Big Ten( Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin )is one of the few conferences that will be suspending their 2020-21 season. The schools bolded are in potential 2020 swing states. Every Saturday until November will be quiet in the midwest because of COVID. Michigan's "Big House" capacity is over 100,000! This year it will be 0. There is no way that people in the midwest cannot ignore the lingering effects of COVID-19(and the poor response) has placed on our daily life. 

And Nebraska players are sueing because of no football. Meanwhile Trump is tweeting that they need to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

And Nebraska players are sueing because of no football. Meanwhile Trump is tweeting that they need to play.

My tinfoil hat theory is that Trump knows that each week there are no Ohio State, or Michigan games will be a constant reminder of how the US poorly handled COVID. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sunnymentoaddict said:

My tinfoil hat theory is that Trump knows that each week there are no Ohio State, or Michigan games will be a constant reminder of how the US poorly handled COVID. 

I mean I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to be honest. Or at least someone in his ear for his campaign.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2020 at 6:56 PM, vcczar said:

I fear the Democratic strategy might repeat a mistake of undervaluing its Sanders-Warren wing supporters again

I was thinking about this with this Atlantic article that came out today: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/08/how-biden-loses/615835/

There are so many people who completely agree with the protests, are sick and tired of not being heard by politicians, and have seen "peaceful" protests fail (and still be painted as violent affairs) that they're desensitized to fires and violence. Obviously Biden can't endorse violent riots for many reasons, but any advice telling him or Harris or other people to turn their back on this large group of protesters and supporters of protesters is a great way to lose the progressive base. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Biden needs to MOVE.

Trump and his people are physically doing what needs to be done to win an election.

Democrats are still hiding in basements and behind computer screens.

Trump is traveling to Wisconsin on Tuesday. I am getting flashbacks to when Hillary never stepped foot in Wisconsin and barely any of the Midwest.

Biden should do a 50-state tour, quickly stopping in each. He does not need to mix with people or have rallies. He just needs to *move* and show up. Trump and Republicans are physically everywhere. They don't care about any pandemic and are fighting to win by any means necessary.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/politics/trump-kenosha-wisconsin/index.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

Biden needs to MOVE.

Trump and his people are physically doing what needs to be done to win an election.

Democrats are still hiding in basements and behind computer screens.

Trump is traveling to Wisconsin on Tuesday. I am getting flashbacks to when Hillary never stepped foot in Wisconsin and barely any of the Midwest.

Biden should do a 50-state tour, quickly stopping in each. He does not need to mix with people or have rallies. He just needs to *move* and show up. Trump and Republicans are physically everywhere. They don't care about any pandemic and are fighting to win by any means necessary.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/politics/trump-kenosha-wisconsin/index.html

I really want to push back on this statement because just before the 2016 election Clinton held a rally in Cleveland with Lebron James; and yet Ohio voted to the right of the nation! In Philadelphia(in PA, which I will include as a midwest state because of western PA) she held another marquee event, to only barely lose the state. There are hundred reasons why she narrowly lost the election, but I am skeptical if holding a rally would have made the difference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I really want to push back on this statement because just before the 2016 election Clinton held a rally in Cleveland with Lebron James; and yet Ohio voted to the right of the nation! In Philadelphia(in PA, which I will include as a midwest state because of western PA) she held another marquee event, to only barely lose the state. There are hundred reasons why she narrowly lost the election, but I am skeptical if holding a rally would have made the difference. 

The simple bar is showing up once.

Clinton showed up zero times in Wisconsin while Trump made multiple visits.  She went on to lose the state by only 10 thousand votes.

Trump and Republicans also made more campaign visits to Pennsylvania and invested resources.  Clinton lost the state by 0.7%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

Biden needs to MOVE.

Trump and his people are physically doing what needs to be done to win an election.

Democrats are still hiding in basements and behind computer screens.

Trump is traveling to Wisconsin on Tuesday. I am getting flashbacks to when Hillary never stepped foot in Wisconsin and barely any of the Midwest.

Biden should do a 50-state tour, quickly stopping in each. He does not need to mix with people or have rallies. He just needs to *move* and show up. Trump and Republicans are physically everywhere. They don't care about any pandemic and are fighting to win by any means necessary.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/politics/trump-kenosha-wisconsin/index.html

Looks like hes kinda listening to you. Monday he'll be denouncing the violence that protesters are doing. Will be interesting to see how that plays IMO he should have done something like this about 3 weeks after the Floyd stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 5:06 PM, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Within a few weeks will be the start of the College Football season. The Big Ten( Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin )is one of the few conferences that will be suspending their 2020-21 season. The schools bolded are in potential 2020 swing states. Every Saturday until November will be quiet in the midwest because of COVID. Michigan's "Big House" capacity is over 100,000! This year it will be 0. There is no way that people in the midwest cannot ignore the lingering effects of COVID-19(and the poor response) has placed on our daily life. 

You do know sports have been cancelled since April right?

People aren't going to vote cause of CFB. They acknowledge the cancellation of sports is a common side effect of COVID-19 but if they're that into CFB, they would be following it and probably be reassured by the talks to start the season in Spring instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 12:17 AM, lizphairphreak said:

I was thinking about this with this Atlantic article that came out today: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/08/how-biden-loses/615835/

There are so many people who completely agree with the protests, are sick and tired of not being heard by politicians, and have seen "peaceful" protests fail (and still be painted as violent affairs) that they're desensitized to fires and violence. Obviously Biden can't endorse violent riots for many reasons, but any advice telling him or Harris or other people to turn their back on this large group of protesters and supporters of protesters is a great way to lose the progressive base. 

Just a reminder that a lot of the people that are rallying are younger and minority voters. Ones that almost never turn out. That is also a great point, if Biden alienates even one of these two category of voters, he loses. Trump getting above 15% AA support is game over for Biden, something I don't see happening unless AA turnout is incredibly down. Voting by mail could result in that despite how everyone says it won't. Theres a lot of gimmicks to it (send in your ballot two weeks early, has to be done by usps, etc etc. I'm a mail-in voter here and I've voted twice. I nearly forgot both times cause you see the mail and just put it somewhere thinking "I don't need it now") 

Biden and the Democratic establishment know its time is almost up. It's trying a last hoorah to woo Republicans and prove to the progressive youth wing "Look! It works! Liberalism works!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 7:24 PM, Jayavarman said:

The simple bar is showing up once.

Clinton showed up zero times in Wisconsin while Trump made multiple visits.  She went on to lose the state by only 10 thousand votes.

Trump and Republicans also made more campaign visits to Pennsylvania and invested resources.  Clinton lost the state by 0.7%.

He got out like you wanted. Had a gaffe immediately. He needs to stay inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

News source?

He said COVID-19 has killed more people this year than it has in 100 years.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 4:54 PM, wolves said:

He said COVID-19 has killed more people this year than it has in 100 years.

No, he didn't. He said that more Americans have died this year than any year in the past 100. He didn't have a gaffe at all he just had a slight stutter moment. If you actually listen to the whole speech it was powerful and compelling. Certainly better than the disaster that was Trump's Kenosha trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@wolves Furthermore, that was a selectively edited clip that didn't show that literally in the next breathe, Biden corrected himself and said what he meant. Like @Jayavarman said, Trump's war room is not a news source. Again, I encourage you to listen to his speech, it was better than anything Trump has ever scrapped together over the past 5 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

No, he didn't. He said that more Americans have died this year than any year in the past 100. He didn't have a gaffe at all he just had a slight stutter moment. If you actually listen to the whole speech it was powerful and compelling. Certainly better than the disaster that was Trump's Kenosha trip.

Today lol

Imagine saying this on the debate stage. If "I've got binders of women" is so bad that it was blew up why does no one care about this. It's like we're normalizing it for Biden but holding Trump and every other politician to a higher degree.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wolves said:

Today lol

Imagine saying this on the debate stage. If "I've got binders of women" is so bad that it was blew up why does no one care about this. It's like we're normalizing it for Biden but holding Trump and every other politician to a higher degree.

 

It would be great if you stop sending selectively edited tapes by people who oppose Biden 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...