270soft Forum

Should there be Presidential debates this year?

Should there be Presidential debates this year?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be Presidential debates this year?

Pelosi already said "I dont think there should be any debates this year", so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Dems backed out of all three. It's a smart strategy though considering how gaffe prone Biden is, but also slightly dirty.

7 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Pelosi already said "I dont think there should be any debates this year", so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Dems backed out of all three. It's a smart strategy though considering how gaffe prone Biden is, but also slightly dirty.

Do you think it would backfire?

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Do you think it would backfire?

I think it's an acceptable risk considering hes already up like 7 points. It wouldn't totally tank him but he'd tank way more if he slipped up and said something racist like the "you ain't black" or "blacks aren't diverse with few exceptions" or "poor kids are just as talented as white kids", among others.

• Thanks 1

It would be incredibly stupid for Biden to not debate Trump. He should do at least the three debates. Let people see his contrast with Trump. Sure, Biden is gaffe prone, but I think he's a stronger debater than Trump. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Biden is a much better speaker than Trump. Hillary wasn't a great public speaker, but by all means she wiped the floor with him in debate after debate. Trump is prone to getting angry and off-topic, as well as letting even the smallest things get to him. Biden wouldn't do the same. He could make a gaffe or two that could hurt him, but it's nothing like Trump will inflict on himself. It'll be worse for Biden if he backs out than if he partakes by a mile. 

• Thanks 1

Pelosi wasn't even referencing COVID.  She was saying Trump doesn't act Presidential so he shouldn't be treated like he's respectful enough to be debated.

Biden's going to treat that advice like the malarkey it is.  There will be debates, unless Trump refuses.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I wonder if this is some Pelosi 3d chess.

Pelosi says Biden shouldn't debate.  Trump, who already didn't want to debate but is relieved to be able to blame someone else, takes the bait.  "PELOSI SAYS WE SHOULDN'T DEBATE!  WHAT IS SHE AFRAID OF?  IS BIDEN TOO ALZHEIMERED UP TO STAND UP AGAINST ME?  DEMOCRACY DEPENDS ON DEBATES!  BIDEN IS STEALING DEMOCRACY!"

Biden says he will debate anyway.  

Trump is now boxed in -- he has to debate, he just said to refuse to is to steal democracy.

So the whole thing is a ploy to force Trump to debate.

Just my guess.

49 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I wonder if this is some Pelosi 3d chess.

Pelosi says Biden shouldn't debate.  Trump, who already didn't want to debate but is relieved to be able to blame someone else, takes the bait.  "PELOSI SAYS WE SHOULDN'T DEBATE!  WHAT IS SHE AFRAID OF?  IS BIDEN TOO ALZHEIMERED UP TO STAND UP AGAINST ME?  DEMOCRACY DEPENDS ON DEBATES!  BIDEN IS STEALING DEMOCRACY!"

Biden says he will debate anyway.  

Trump is now boxed in -- he has to debate, he just said to refuse to is to steal democracy.

So the whole thing is a ploy to force Trump to debate.

Just my guess.

I doubt that. Thinking its something like with Clyburn in the Dem primaries after Super Tuesday "Oh yeah well Biden won Super Tuesday, why should he have to debate?" They push the idea so that Biden doesn't have to.

The issue here is that Biden himself has to pull out of debates. He won't do it. He's maxed his support so there is obviously the fear he will lose more but I don't think that'll happen.

13 minutes ago, wolves said:

I doubt that. Thinking its something like with Clyburn in the Dem primaries after Super Tuesday "Oh yeah well Biden won Super Tuesday, why should he have to debate?" They push the idea so that Biden doesn't have to.

The issue here is that Biden himself has to pull out of debates. He won't do it. He's maxed his support so there is obviously the fear he will lose more but I don't think that'll happen.

But Biden still did the primary debates after Super Tuesday regardless of what Clyburn said.  

Unlike Trump who did skip at least one of the 2016 debates in protest that they weren't Trump lovefests.