270soft Forum

Politifact's Honest/Dishonest

Here are some notable politicians in order of "Honesty" (True or Mostly True, excludes Half-True):

1. Yang 56%
  2. Kasich 53%
  3. Warren 52%
  4. H Clinton 49%
  5. Obama 47%
  6. Sanders 47%
  7. Harris 46%
  8. Rand Paul 43%
  9. Biden 38%
  10. McConnell 36%
  11. Rubio 35%
  12. Buttigieg 33%
  13. Crenshaw 33%
  14. Romney 30%
  15. Pelosi 24%
  16. Cotton 23%
  17. Pence 20%
  18. Cruz 19%
  19. Omar 16%
  20. Trump 13%
  21. AOC 11%

Hare some notable politicians in order of "Dishonesty" (Mostly False, False, Pants on Fire, excludes Half-True):

1. Trump 70%
  2. AOC 66%
  3. Omar 66%
  4. Crenshaw 66%
  5. Cruz 64%
  6. Cotton 63%
  7. Pence 47%
  8. Pelosi 45%
  9. McConnell 45%
  10. Rubio 42%
  11. Romney 40%
  12. Buttigieg 39%
  13. Harris 38%
  14. Biden 37%
  15. Rand Paul 34%
  16. Kasich 30%
  17. Yang 28%
  18. H Clinton 27%
  19. Sanders 25%
  20. Obama 23%
  21. Warren 16%

Some comments

1. Yang 56% - glad to see he's No 1.
  2. Kasich 53%
  3. Warren 52% - there's a reason she got more likeable for me
  4. H Clinton 49% - I would doubt that heavily
  5. Obama 47%
  6. Sanders 47%
  7. Harris 46% - I'd doubt that as well
  8. Rand Paul 43%
  9. Biden 38% - yep, he has been in politics for a long time. He already had the chance to do what he talks about
  10. McConnell 36% - better than I thought to be honest 
  11. Rubio 35% - that's the reason I had picked Rubio over Cruz
  12. Buttigieg 33% - I expected a mediocre result here
  13. Crenshaw 33%
  14. Romney 30% - that's the Romney the media hated 8 years ago before becoming their poster boy (I like him)
  15. Pelosi 24% - surprising on the one hand, but on the other it's not
  16. Cotton 23%
  17. Pence 20%
  18. Cruz 19% - look at Rubio please
  19. Omar 16% 
  20. Trump 13% - my 17th choice in the primaries 
  21. AOC 11% - 1) yes, that's the flawless AOC...

Hare some notable politicians in order of "Dishonesty" (Mostly False, False, Pants on Fire, excludes Half-True):

1. Trump 70%
  2. AOC 66% - 2) the people liking her, probably hate Trump being dishonest hmmm 4% difference isn't that big
  3. Omar 66% - same
  4. Crenshaw 66%
  5. Cruz 64%
  6. Cotton 63%
  7. Pence 47%
  8. Pelosi 45%
  9. McConnell 45%
  10. Rubio 42%
  11. Romney 40%
  12. Buttigieg 39%
  13. Harris 38%
  14. Biden 37%
  15. Rand Paul 34%
  16. Kasich 30%
  17. Yang 28%
  18. H Clinton 27%
  19. Sanders 25%
  20. Obama 23%
  21. Warren 16%
5 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:
  • H Clinton 49% - I would doubt that heavily
  •  

Her dishonest statements probably matter a lot (have more weight), or are overblown by the media. It isn't that surprising.

1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Some comments

1. AOC 11% - 1) yes, that's the flawless AOC...

1. AOC 66% - 2) the people liking her, probably hate Trump being dishonest hmmm 4% difference isn't that big

She's only been fact checked on there 7 times, compared to over 500 times for Trump, and I would assume many others on that list as well. I think that is an important thing to point out. 

(in fact just one of her fact checks came from after 2018, and I think she has increased her knowledge considerably the past couple years)

1 hour ago, MysteryKnight said:

She's only been fact checked on there 7 times, compared to over 500 times for Trump, and I would assume many others on that list as well. I think that is an important thing to point out. 

(in fact just one of her fact checks came from after 2018, and I think she has increased her knowledge considerably the past couple years)

That’s a great point.  AOC, Omar, Buttigieg, Crenshaw, and even Yang (despite his first place finish) have all barely arrived on the scene.

• Upvote 1

As a general note, Politifact is good and well-intentioned, but not flawless.

I was personally quoted in FOUR Politifact articles, as the reigning expert against which statements made by Representatives, a Senator, and even President Barack Obama were fact-checked.  Politifact took what the President of the United States said, placed it next to something I had said, and then determined that President Obama's statement was "Half True."

And, like...that's probably a power I should not have had.  They were taking me WAY too authoritatively.

Don't get me wrong:  I was doing my best to tell the truth, to the best that I understood it.  And I was indeed the official spokesman for the organization being discussed in the article.  But...like...I wasn't an "expert."  I was just repeating what I had been told by people who I trusted...but I was just taking their word for it.  I didn't "know".  And really, as I was a federal employee, President Obama was (at the end of the chain of command) my BOSS.  If I'd gone out there and said "Nope, sorry, Barry is WAY pants-on-fire on this one", I probably would have had a pretty bad day in the office.  

To be clear, I do believe what I said was accurate, to this day.  And Obama's statement wasn't far off from my own -- he just hadn't been as nuanced and careful about it as I was.  Probably because he was the President of the United States and had a billion other things to worry about, not just the nuanced details of my own organization.

But I'd only been on the job for about three months when I became the expert people used to question the President of the United States.  I wasn't some independently validated scholar on the topic.  I was just a guy who'd answered a job ad and been hired for the gig.

So while I do believe Politifact got it right (and that I got it right) in those four articles I'm quoted in, I'm still a little disturbed that I was the trusted source when that wasn't something I had necessarily earned up to that point in the early stages of my career.

• Like 1