270soft Forum

Crisis Era Poll

Crisis Era Poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following do you consider one of the top 10 significant crises in US History **Pick only 10**

• American Revolution/British Invasion
    • War of 1812/British Invasion
    • Compromise of 1850 Era, including lead up to the Civil War
    • Civil War
    • Reconstruction
    • Gilded Age corruption and its Progressive remedies
    • World War I
    • Great Depression
    • World War II
    • Early Cold War prior to peace and arms limitations talks (1950s and 1960s) with Soviets--Sputnik, Cuban Missiles, nuclear proliferation
    • 1960's Civil Rights, race riots, anti-Vietnam War protests
    • Early War on Terror (9/11 attacks)
    • Great Recession
    • Trump Populism, including the reemergence of White Nationalism, political influence of conspiracy theorists (Q-Anon), Black Lives Matter Protests, urban looting, etc.
    • Coronavirus Pandemic and its recession.
    • Climate Change Crisis
    • Other that I'm missing (mention below)

I am very surprised no one has chosen coronavirus above say, Trump Populism. 170k people have died to coronavirus in the United States. A lot of that is worrying, but it isn't the biggest crisis that our country has faced in our entire history. 

14 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I am very surprised no one has chosen coronavirus above say, Trump Populism. 170k people have died to coronavirus in the United States. A lot of that is worrying, but it isn't the biggest crisis that our country has faced in our entire history. 

I did (without seeing this post). There probably just weren’t enough respondents yet.

5 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I did (without seeing this post). There probably just weren’t enough respondents yet.

Yeah, just a bit shocking to me.

46 minutes ago, vcczar said:

New poll

The British didn't "invade," in the American Revolution. That's a very odd term to phrase the incumbent government in any Revolution in history, really. And, in the War of 1812, despite dropping the ball and botching horribly militarily until the very end, the American military doctrine was very much poised as the invaders of the Canadas and the Maritime Colonies.

Yeah @Patine I wondered about the term British Invasion as well. My reasoning is that the US have been the force which sought to break away. There wasn't really something to invade at the time of people establishing something, which was not existent.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

The British didn't "invade," in the American Revolution. That's a very odd term to phrase the incumbent government in any Revolution in history, really. And, in the War of 1812, despite dropping the ball and botching horribly militarily until the very end, the American military doctrine was very much poised as the invaders of the Canadas and the Maritime Colonies.

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Yeah @Patine I wondered about the term British Invasion as well. My reasoning is that the US have been the force which sought to break away. There wasn't really something to invade at the time of people establishing something, which was not existent.

The term was used not as a descripter of the name, but as to anyone that doesn't consider the war a crisis, but might consider the fact that the British did land troops on American soil as a crisis. The British DID invade, even if it was secondary to a botched US invasion. 

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The term was used not as a descripter of the name, but as to anyone that doesn't consider the war a crisis, but might consider the fact that the British did land troops on American soil as a crisis. The British DID invade, even if it was secondary to a botched US invasion. 

By British law and viewpoint, the Thirteen Colonies were sovereign British territory until 1783, at the Treaty of Paris. It was, effectively, "attempting to quell a rebellion," not invade another foreign sovereign nation (which was EXACTLY how the Lincoln Administration viewed it's war effort against the Confederacy). The fact that the Montevideo Conference that defined international law on the recognition and protocols around newly-independent nations would be around a century afterwards further complicated the situation. I know I'm quibbling in a way that's deeply unpopular with American historiography, but I am known to do this, regardless, as you know.

15 minutes ago, Patine said:

By British law and viewpoint, the Thirteen Colonies were sovereign British territory until 1783, at the Treaty of Paris. It was, effectively, "attempting to quell a rebellion," not invade another foreign sovereign nation (which was EXACTLY how the Lincoln Administration viewed it's war effort against the Confederacy). The fact that the Montevideo Conference that defined international law on the recognition and protocols around newly-independent nations would be around a century afterwards further complicated the situation. I know I'm quibbling in a way that's deeply unpopular with American historiography, but I am known to do this, regardless, as you know.

This is all besides the point in regards to this poll. This polls is from an American mindset by design. 

9 minutes ago, vcczar said:

This is all besides the point in regards to this poll. This polls is from an American mindset by design. 

Although I'm not going to make a big deal or fit of anger or blistering screed over it (as I've done in the past), I'm just going to point out that it's become a bit too parochial on most of these threads. With a whole world out there and about 7000 years of recorded history, it makes one wonder.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Although I'm not going to make a big deal or fit of anger or blistering screed over it (as I've done in the past), I'm just going to point out that it's become a bit too parochial on most of these threads. With a whole world out there and about 7000 years of recorded history, it makes one wonder.

No, it truly does not. Because this is a poll about the greatest crises in AMERICAN history. That means the past 245 years. Not the past 7,000 in the whole world. The past 245 in our nation. You truly don’t have to nitpick every damn thing that is written by an American about American history and happens to be *gasp* from an American perspective. It’s a tired old canard and you can really stop wasting your breathe on it.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

No, it truly does not. Because this is a poll about the greatest crises in AMERICAN history. That means the past 245 years. Not the past 7,000 in the whole world. The past 245 in our nation. You truly don’t have to nitpick every damn thing that is written by an American about American history and happens to be *gasp* from an American perspective. It’s a tired old canard and you can really stop wasting your breathe on it.

You missed the bigger point, of course. Very few polls on this forum actually allow a meaningful answer by non-American posters unless they answer "as though they were an American." This specific poll is just one of many, many examples.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

You missed the bigger point, of course. Very few polls on this forum actually allow a meaningful answer by non-American posters unless they answer "as though they were an American." This specific poll is just one of many, many examples.

We’ve discussed this before, but:

You’re allowed to create your own polls, so that we can all bask in its glorious perfection.

• Upvote 2

I want to make clear, mostly to @vcczar, who makes most of these polls, that, as I said above, I'm not going to make a big deal over this issue, I don't really expect a change, and your posts are very high quality and well-researched in and of themselves. I think it moreso comes from the simple fact that, it more and more dawns on me, that I were born and living in the United States, the differences from who and what I am now, my profession (I am well aware from networking with other social work offices that many U.S. State Governments are actively hostile to social worker offices, tolerating them only barely and grimly, and cutting their budgets to the bone), and how I would REALLY interact with electoral politics - and these are in ways I cannot easily prognosticate. THAT is really my problem, I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

We’ve discussed this before, but:

You’re allowed to create your own polls, so that we can all bask in its glorious perfection.

^^^

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Patine said:

I want to make clear, mostly to @vcczar, who makes most of these polls, that, as I said above, I'm not going to make a big deal over this issue, I don't really expect a change, and your posts are very high quality and well-researched in and of themselves. I think it moreso comes from the simple fact that, it more and more dawns on me, that I were born and living in the United States, the differences from who and what I am now, my profession (I am well aware from networking with other social work offices that many U.S. State Governments are actively hostile to social worker offices, tolerating them only barely and grimly, and cutting their budgets to the bone), and how I would REALLY interact with electoral politics - and these are in ways I cannot easily prognosticate. THAT is really my problem, I'm afraid.

How to solve this

1. Make ur own poll

Be the change you want to see or something

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

How to solve this

1. Make ur own poll

Be the change you want to see or something

If I had the time, @ThePotatoWalrus. As it is, though I'm often "permanently," logged in while my computer is actually turned on, my active visits to this sight, while relatively frequent, are shorter in individual duration of late.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

If I had the time, @ThePotatoWalrus. As it is, though I'm often "permanently," logged in while my computer is actually turned on, my active visits to this sight, while relatively frequent, are shorter in individual duration of late.

You could just slowly put together a p0ll (s0rry f0r using the 0..my 0 key is br0ken and w0rks 20% 0f the time I try t0 use it) during the sh0rter durati0ns. It usually 0nly takes me ab0ut 10 minutes t0 make a multi-questi0n p0ll, even if I have t0 d0 research.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
36 minutes ago, vcczar said:

You could just slowly put together a p0ll (s0rry f0r using the 0..my 0 key is br0ken and w0rks 20% 0f the time I try t0 use it) during the sh0rter durati0ns. It usually 0nly takes me ab0ut 10 minutes t0 make a multi-questi0n p0ll, even if I have t0 d0 research.

Honestly this is probably the best thing I’ve seen all day, this brought a smile to my face.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Honestly this is probably the best thing I’ve seen all day, this brought a smile to my face.

Its wholesome in a way

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Its wholesome in a way

Agreed, there's a certain innocence to it.

• Like 1