Jump to content
270soft Forum

Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race


Recommended Posts

On 8/24/2020 at 1:30 AM, Reagan04 said:

No thank you.

Leslyn all the way. We were *this* close to perfection.

Highly unlikely that Leslyn Lewis would be able to pull off an electoral victory against Trudeau.  I know that many people fawn over her for diversity points, but her platform would net her 0 seats in the GTA or most parts of Quebec (notwithstanding her non-existent French).  She would probably pull some of the Caribbean immigrant vote in the 905 towards the CPC, kind of similar to the inroads that Harper among immigrants made during his majority win, but her stances on conversion therapy and abortion would scare pretty much everyone else in that area off.  The social conservative wing of the Tories need to realize that carrying every seat in Alberta and Saskatchewan is not going to win them an election.  Better to have someone in power who will give you some of what you are looking for, than to have someone who will give you none.

 

12 hours ago, Edouard said:

I just want to add that O Toole can become a serious threat for the Bloc Québécois and the Liberals

O Tool is the most "pro provinces" candidate ever.

He brings back the CPC to the era of Brian Mulroney

He "promises to grant Quebec greater autonomy in matters of immigration, to limit the federal spending power in areas of provincial jurisdiction, to make annual federal transfers for social programs without imposing binding conditions and, finally, not to interfere in the “internal affairs” of Quebec by challenging, for example, the Law on the secularism of the State (“Bill 21”) in court, as the Trudeau government is thinking of doing."

If you want a larger CBC report about him :

 

 

Agreed 100%.  At first I had my doubts about O'Toole, but after hearing his campaign manager speak about having two separate campaigns (anglophone/francophone), I believe that he has a good chance to bring down Trudeau.  The fact that he tailored his francophone platform specifically around Quebec's needs, and knew what issues to target in specific, shows me that he has the intellect to run a successful campaign against Trudeau and the Liberal Party machine.  If he can ditch the social conservative label that the Liberals are trying to plaster him with (despite him being a Red Tory in actuality), I think he will pick up enough seats in Ontario and Quebec to entertain the possibility of a CPC minority government.  It all depends on when an election is called, I have my doubts that there will be one in the fall though.

I was very disappointed when I heard that MacKay sent out English pamphlets to francophone ridings in Quebec, he put no effort in to win in Quebec and it showed in the results.  This race was MacKay's to lose, and he sure did a good job of dropping the ball.

The CPC leadership needs to get its act together though, this race was the Canadian version of Iowa.  I doubt that many people on the east coast were even awake to listen to O'Toole's speech.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good day everyone, For those of us who are Canadian/live in Canada/follow Canadian politics, it looks like the CPC leadership race is heating up in the waning moments. https://ipolitics.ca/2

I'll almost certainly still vote for Singh regardless of who wins this leadership race. The only Federal right-of-centre party leader in an election I ever even CONSIDERED voting for as long as I coul

Agreed with the admin. Singh was relatively likeable, even if you didn't like his policies. He saved the NDP from perhaps losing the "third party" status to the Greens. He could maybe peel off more Li

lol another loss incoming for the tories

going to be like the uk, a decade of one party dominance

trudeau's only downfall is refusing to go into government with the ndp. that would guarantee TWO decades

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wolves said:

lol another loss incoming for the tories

going to be like the uk, a decade of one party dominance

trudeau's only downfall is refusing to go into government with the ndp. that would guarantee TWO decades

Trudeau's biggest threats are the NDP, Greens and Bloc. Only then can the Conservatives govern if the others weaken the Liberals well enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wolves said:

lol another loss incoming for the tories

going to be like the uk, a decade of one party dominance

trudeau's only downfall is refusing to go into government with the ndp. that would guarantee TWO decades

Lol the NDP is almost a meme party at this current moment.  You do realize that they had to mortgage their campaign headquarters to make it through the last election cycle, right?

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/01/14/ndp-takes-out-12m-mortgage-on-jack-layton-building.html

Despite all of Singh's tough talk, I can assure you that he really does not want to have an election right now.

2 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Trudeau's biggest threats are the NDP, Greens and Bloc. Only then can the Conservatives govern if the others weaken the Liberals well enough.

This is why you are seeing Trudeau talk about welfare reform at this time.  He is trying to stifle voters from the NDP in particular by implementing more progressive policies.  Despite this, I think that there are a large number of Canadians dissatisfied with all of the scandals, and will probably vote NDP anyways.

If the vote splits the right way, and the Tories make some gains in Ontario/Quebec, I can see a potential CPC minority.  Too many people seem to forget that Harper had minority and majority governments and act as if the CPC has never formed a government before.  There is not going to be a fall election in all likelihood, so we will see what happens in the polls over time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CPE said:

Lol the NDP is almost a meme party at this current moment.  You do realize that they had to mortgage their campaign headquarters to make it through the last election cycle, right?

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2019/01/14/ndp-takes-out-12m-mortgage-on-jack-layton-building.html

Despite all of Singh's tough talk, I can assure you that he really does not want to have an election right now.

Still have a hardcore base that will stay with them for a long time from the Layton times. Singh is the issue with the party. Don't expect him to be there in 2023 T B H. 

As I said, Liberals will remain at the top, they still have parties ready to go into a coalition with them if needed be, I think Trudeau is a vulture. He would rather be in power in confidence and supply than a Tory leader knocking him down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 5:18 PM, wolves said:

Still have a hardcore base that will stay with them for a long time from the Layton times. Singh is the issue with the party. Don't expect him to be there in 2023 T B H. 

As I said, Liberals will remain at the top, they still have parties ready to go into a coalition with them if needed be, I think Trudeau is a vulture. He would rather be in power in confidence and supply than a Tory leader knocking him down.

Agreed.  The quicker the NDP drops Singh, the better.  He is only a liability for them at this point.

We will have to see what happens, Trudeau definitely does have a high level of political acumen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CPE said:

The quicker the NDP drops Singh, the better

It's tough filling the shoes of Jack Layton. On a persona level, I liked Singh the most of the 5 major party leaders in the 2019 election (with May being last). Might like O'Toole more than him now - we'll see.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CPE said:

Agreed.  The quicker the NDP drops Singh, the better.  He is only a liability for them at this point.

We will have to see what happens, Trudeau definitely does have a high level of political acumen.

 

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

It's tough filling the shoes of Jack Layton. On a persona level, I liked Singh the most of the 5 major party leaders in the 2019 election (with May being last). Might like O'Toole more than him now - we'll see.

Agreed with the admin. Singh was relatively likeable, even if you didn't like his policies. He saved the NDP from perhaps losing the "third party" status to the Greens. He could maybe peel off more Liberal voters in the next round by hammering them on their relative scandals.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

It's tough filling the shoes of Jack Layton. On a persona level, I liked Singh the most of the 5 major party leaders in the 2019 election (with May being last). Might like O'Toole more than him now - we'll see.

 

3 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Agreed with the admin. Singh was relatively likeable, even if you didn't like his policies. He saved the NDP from perhaps losing the "third party" status to the Greens. He could maybe peel off more Liberal voters in the next round by hammering them on their relative scandals.

I have nothing against Singh personally, just don't think that he is going to help the NDP pick up seats any time soon.  My only criticism of him is that he plays the race card way too much, and tries to bring American issues into the Canadian political sphere (although the Liberals love to do that as well when it comes to demonizing the Tories).

I doubt that anyone will ever be able to fill Layton's shoes fully, he took the NDP to unforeseen heights.  The NDP are in a very tough position right now : they don't have the funds for an election, and are being pressured by Trudeau into a lose-lose situation.  The "green" economy reform Trudeau is trying to implement is being done in a direct attempt to peel off voters from the NDP and Greens, while they can't afford to campaign if they choose to bring the government down.  I honestly wonder how strong O'Toole's will is to pull the trigger as well, anyone that dissolves government in the midst of a pandemic is probably going to get hurt at the polls.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CPE said:

 

I have nothing against Singh personally, just don't think that he is going to help the NDP pick up seats any time soon.  My only criticism of him is that he plays the race card way too much, and tries to bring American issues into the Canadian political sphere (although the Liberals love to do that as well when it comes to demonizing the Tories).

I doubt that anyone will ever be able to fill Layton's shoes fully, he took the NDP to unforeseen heights.  The NDP are in a very tough position right now : they don't have the funds for an election, and are being pressured by Trudeau into a lose-lose situation.  The "green" economy reform Trudeau is trying to implement is being done in a direct attempt to peel off voters from the NDP and Greens, while they can't afford to campaign if they choose to bring the government down.  I honestly wonder how strong O'Toole's will is to pull the trigger as well, anyone that dissolves government in the midst of a pandemic is probably going to get hurt at the polls.

I just started to do some reading up on the current situation. The Bloc forcing a motion of no confidence in the fall is an interesting play by them...but it makes little sense to me. They probably do prefer the Tories, but they're already at a pretty big height, and they stand to lose quite a bit if the gamble goes awry. The NDP may be broke, but they can probably make a better argument against the Liberals on the left than the Greens - and stand to benefit quite a bit. 

The Liberals have their hand forced by the Bloc. The Tories won't cooperate with them, neither will the Bloc now. They have to turn to the NDP. There's simply no other option. If they play their cards right, they can end up on top. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Hestia11 said:

I just started to do some reading up on the current situation. The Bloc forcing a motion of no confidence in the fall is an interesting play by them...but it makes little sense to me. They probably do prefer the Tories, but they're already at a pretty big height, and they stand to lose quite a bit if the gamble goes awry. The NDP may be broke, but they can probably make a better argument against the Liberals on the left than the Greens - and stand to benefit quite a bit. 

The Liberals have their hand forced by the Bloc. The Tories won't cooperate with them, neither will the Bloc now. They have to turn to the NDP. There's simply no other option. If they play their cards right, they can end up on top. 

Yeah, it really makes no sense to hold an election at this point in time.  There is always the possibility that Blanchet could end up losing seats in the event one is called, O'Toole hasn't even been leader of the CPC for a month yet, and Singh probably would like to avoid bankrupting his party if possible.  I question whether O'Toole really has the guts to pull the trigger at this point in time, the Liberals have been polling pretty decently lately and it would be nothing short of an embarrassment for the CPC to hold another leadership election so close to the last one. 

We will have to see what Trudeau's economic reform entails, I suspect that the primary goal of these reforms is to pull in more progressive voters from the NDP/Greens.  He needs to be careful that he doesn't lurch so far left that he alienates the centrists in his party, I would not be taking O'Toole's campaign for a joke.  It is clear from the CPC leadership race that the man certainly has political intuition.

We will see who is willing to put their guns on the table really soon, and who is merely beating their chest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...