270soft Forum

Does who's on dollar bills matter anymore?

I used to use cash all the time. Nowadays, I can't remember the last time I paid for something with cash. I think it was a farmers' market. Even there, it's mostly credit and debit cards now.

It used to be that who or what was on a $5 bill, $10 bill, and so on, mattered a great deal, because people would constantly be seeing it. The Queen is on all Canadian bills and coins.

I now wonder if this no longer really matters.

I'm not sure that it particularly mattered even when people were using cash.

There's been a push to get a woman on money -- originally replacing Hamilton on the $10 until the musical came out and everyone discovered that they actually love (this version of) Alexander Hamilton.  

So that plan was scrapped and they were going to put a woman on the $20 instead -- but then Trump was elected into office, and he's decided he's a big Andrew Jackson fan all of a sudden.

So now everything is on hold again.

As for who the woman would be, Harriet Tubman narrowly defeated Eleanor Roosevelt in a poll a few years ago.  Personally, I'd like to wait until we have our first woman President (whoever that turns out to be) and then put her face on the $50.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I used to use cash all the time. Nowadays, I can't remember the last time I paid for something with cash. I think it was a farmers' market. Even there, it's mostly credit and debit cards now.

It used to be that who or what was on a $5 bill, $10 bill, and so on, mattered a great deal, because people would constantly be seeing it. The Queen is on all Canadian bills and coins.

I don't know why we have to put an individual's face on currency at all. I know it's just traditional to do so. 

• Upvote 1

It's not a big deal.  The US has had a woman on a bill before and bills without portraits before.  The first $20 bill had no portrait and had a woman, Lady Liberty with her sword and shield.

1024px-US-$20-LT-1863-Fr-126b.jpg

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I use cash all the time. Cash is a convenience and a freedom that is being taken. The defense of physical currency is one of several areas I agree with Ron Paul on (along with his foreign and military policy, and dissolving completely the unaccountable, Unconstitutional, and criminal 'alphabet soup,' agencies). Completely digital currency, with no physical currency alternative, is a dystopian scenario. That member of Bush's inner circle in the 2000's who said only "traitors and terrorists," extensively use physical currency - and quoted ridiculous things like "hipsters buying lattes," was just a bald-faced statement of tyranny - he was the traitor and enabler of terrorism for making such a claim from that position of power.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

Personally, I'd like to wait until we have our first woman President (whoever that turns out to be) and then put her face on the $50.

I believe by long-standing convention (though not solid law that I'm aware of, but convention) she's not only have to be elected, but also die first. The old hip hop lingo for cash money, "dead presidents," derives from that.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

I believe by long-standing convention (though not solid law that I'm aware of, but convention) she's not only have to be elected, but also die first. The old hip hop lingo for cash money, "dead presidents," derives from that.

The first $10 bill had Lincoln on it while he was still president

1024px-US-$10-LT-1863-Fr-95b.jpg

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

As for who the woman would be, Harriet Tubman narrowly defeated Eleanor Roosevelt in a poll a few years ago.  Personally, I'd like to wait until we have our first woman President (whoever that turns out to be) and then put her face on the $50.

Agree

24 minutes ago, pilight said:

The first $10 bill had Lincoln on it while he was still president

1024px-US-$10-LT-1863-Fr-95b.jpg

The convention (not law, as far as I know), may have started as a memorial ideal (or some such) after Lincoln's assassination.

I like people on banknotes, but I like them even more on stamps. I always love to find out about people who are important enough for one country to appear on a stamp, but are barely known in another country. 

On a side note I'd like all US States to print their own dollar bills and make their own coins. Not doing much different, but at least printing the state on it, where it has been printed. That would make each piece of money worth looking at it.

2 hours ago, pilight said:

It's not a big deal.  The US has had a woman on a bill before and bills without portraits before.  The first $20 bill had no portrait and had a woman, Lady Liberty with her sword and shield.

1024px-US-$20-LT-1863-Fr-126b.jpg

Like the design for this bill. Seems better to enshrine the concept of liberty than a particular political figure, IMO!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I like people on banknotes, but I like them even more on stamps. I always love to find out about people who are important enough for one country to appear on a stamp, but are barely known in another country. 

On a side note I'd like all US States to print their own dollar bills and make their own coins. Not doing much different, but at least printing the state on it, where it has been printed. That would make each piece of money worth looking at it.

A lot of U.S. States would gripe about the costs for an esthetic vanity, you know?

11 hours ago, Patine said:

A lot of U.S. States would gripe about the costs for an esthetic vanity, you know?

Yeah, sadly...

I think my country did a great job with how our Currency looks like. It matters in my Country's Context cause cash is relevant. But if the Economy were to go Cashless, It'd be less relevant. Here's a great video on my Country's Currency. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 8/18/2020 at 10:23 AM, admin_270 said:

Obviously, the only bills you ever use are $20 bills. Those are the only ones that ONLY have the Queen. All the others share prominently with another figure, mostly a historical Prime Minister, but the new $10 has like five other people on it.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Obviously, the only bills you ever use are $20 bills. Those are the only ones that ONLY have the Queen. All the others share prominently with another figure, mostly a historical Prime Minister, but the new $10 has like five other people on it.

How does "The Queen is on all Canadian bills and coins." conflict with your point here?

3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

How does "The Queen is on all Canadian bills and coins." conflict with your point here?

Because you mentioning an envy of the U.S. putting people other than their monarch on their money.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Because you mentioning an envy of the U.S. putting people other than their monarch on their money.

I of course realize Canadian bills have various political figures on them. You have interpreted my statement incorrectly - I do not envy the U.S. for putting people other than their non-existent monarch on their bills.

Just now, admin_270 said:

I of course realize Canadian bills have various political figures on them. You have interpreted my statement incorrectly - I do not envy the U.S. for putting people other than their non-existent monarch on their bills.

Than I stand corrected. That was just the impression I got.

• Upvote 1