270soft Forum

Convention Thoughts Day 1

7 hours ago, CentristGuy said:

He is Fascist. I don't care about your semantics arguments. I know he isn't LITERALLY a Fascist but IT DAMN FEELS LIKE FASCISM. 

Using old titles clumsily for new movements, even if similarities are there, is counter-productive and distorts any sort of discourse. And, that kind of backward thinking and resistance to innovation to invoke the past over the present and future is actually very typical of the toxic nostalgic and "golden age," thinking that predominates all forms of extreme right-wing ideology, which puts you a very strange and ironic boat, there, rhetorically. Also, if you're biggest justification is it, "IT DAMN FEELS LIKE FASCISM," that shows an abdication of reason and analytical thinking and a surrender to gut feeling and raw emotionalism, and thus an emulation of the driving force the masses who support any dangerous and extreme populist ideology, on the right or left, are driven into by their demagogue leaders.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh sure. I'm familiar because he works with some of my favorites on stuff like that.  On a side note- God I wish Michelle Obama was still First Lady.

This is a very moderate, bipartisan night. I like the tone a lot. Focusing on non-partisan values like leadership on covid and national unity. Bernie will keep that anchor in progressivism but no doub

Empathy, Character, Unity, Bipartisanship. Even Bernie was getting in on the moderation and conciliatory tone, he hit very few left-wing policy initiatives. This was a good night and makes me feel goo

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Patine said:

Using old titles clumsily for new movements, even if similarities are there, is counter-productive and distorts any sort of discourse. And, that kind of backward thinking and resistance to innovation to invoke the past over the present and future is actually very typical of the toxic nostalgic and "golden age," thinking that predominates all forms of extreme right-wing ideology, which puts you a very strange and ironic boat, there, rhetorically. Also, if you're biggest justification is it, "IT DAMN FEELS LIKE FASCISM," that shows an abdication of reason and analytical thinking and a surrender to gut feeling and raw emotionalism, and thus an emulation of the driving force the masses who support any dangerous and extreme populist ideology, on the right or left, are driven into by their demagogue leaders.

Not everyone is as rational and strictly logical as you. 

My Country's so shitty right now. And the Leadership is so Authoritarian, I don't even care about Logic. 

Just now, CentristGuy said:

Not everyone is as rational and strictly logical as you. 

My Country's so shitty right now. And the Leadership is so Authoritarian, I don't even care about Logic. 

If that attitude is shared by the majority in your country, then expect it to stay shitty for quite a while. That's all I can really say here.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

If that attitude is shared by the majority in your country, then expect it to stay shitty for quite a while. That's all I can really say here.

Now I know why @Actinguy hates you. You don't even try to acknowledge why I'm talking like this. 

Of course I know Duterte isn't a Literal Fascist. Of course I know Duterte isn't a Literal Fascist.

I'm just trying to make a point that it almost feels like it. And that I'm too emotionally invested to care. Because of Course I know he isn't a Literal Fascist. I'm enrolled in Political Science for this School Year for crying out loud. 

You'd much rather be CORRECT all the time than engage with the person you're talking with. You'd much rather come out on top than try to have a genuine conversation with a person. 

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Patine said:

America has been shitty for awhile it's a little disingenuous to pretend this all started with Trump. I mean George Bush really moved the scale as far as presidential power and abuses. Obama wasnt the choir boy Democrats pretend that he is.

1 minute ago, CentristGuy said:

Now I know why @Actinguy hates you. You don't even try to acknowledge why I'm talking like this. 

Of course I know Duterte isn't a Literal Fascist. Of course I know Duterte isn't a Literal Fascist.

I'm just trying to make a point that it almost feels like it. And that I'm too emotionally invested to care. Because of Course I know he isn't a Literal Fascist. I'm enrolled in Political Science for this School Year for crying out loud. 

You'd much rather be CORRECT all the time than engage with the person you're talking with. You'd much rather come out on top than try to have a genuine conversation with a person. 

No, it's not about mere "correctness," or "pedantry," whatever @Actinguy (who has arrogant hang-ups of his own, by the way, that truly grate) - it's that terminology in certain key areas is more important in the long-run than a people give it credit for. When Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter called Barack Obama, of all people, an actual "Communist," and a significant number of people - far too many to be savoury (and, including our resident @servo75) believed them and reiterated them, and political agendas of anti-LBGTQ, racist, pro-unrestrained corporatist, pitilessness for the poor, military adventurism, and police-state tactics have been called, "Christian," you know many key terms are being thrown dangerously out of whack. When I speak on these issues, it's just to be "correct," - but because this gross slipping of key terminology very much concerns - even frightens me.

2 minutes ago, billay said:

America has been shitty for awhile it's a little disingenuous to pretend this all started with Trump. I mean George Bush really moved the scale as far as presidential power and abuses. Obama wasnt the choir boy Democrats pretend that he is.

I don't recall ever saying it started with Trump. And, @CentristGuy is from the Philippines, and Duerte was the subject of that particular conversation in any case.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't recall ever saying it started with Trump. And, @CentristGuy is from the Philippines, and Duerte was the subject of that particular conversation in any case.

Yeah I was relating with him on the American side. Weve been going through the same day and as a result you're seeing the ugliness. Obviously not as bad as Duerte but Trump does at times talk and act in a similar way.

1 minute ago, billay said:

Yeah I was relating with him on the American side. Weve been going through the same day and as a result you're seeing the ugliness. Obviously not as bad as Duerte but Trump does at times talk and act in a similar way.

The thing with Trump is that your Country has strong institutions to resist him. While almost none (barring the Catholic Church) is powerful enough to resist DuTERTE

1 minute ago, CentristGuy said:

The thing with Trump is that your Country has strong institutions to resist him. While almost none (barring the Catholic Church) is powerful enough to resist DuTERTE

I'm sorry to hear that. I left the Catholic church 20 years ago if you're depending on them well good luck.