270soft Forum

Convention Thoughts Day 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh sure. I'm familiar because he works with some of my favorites on stuff like that.  On a side note- God I wish Michelle Obama was still First Lady.

This is a very moderate, bipartisan night. I like the tone a lot. Focusing on non-partisan values like leadership on covid and national unity. Bernie will keep that anchor in progressivism but no doub

Empathy, Character, Unity, Bipartisanship. Even Bernie was getting in on the moderation and conciliatory tone, he hit very few left-wing policy initiatives. This was a good night and makes me feel goo

Posted Images

Bernie Sanders the budding firewood salesman provides the only real progressive flavor from tonight. But he's obviously framing it as a pro-Biden position.

Bernie, having lost a lot of weight, has an interesting twist to his message: he's actually talking about compromising with conservatives. I've never seen this type of Bernie before. Selling Firewood and Weight loss pills to his friends across the aisle apparently.

Glad to see Bernie Sanders (my primary vote). Typical Sanders speech. No surprised. 

I'm glad he's making it clear he is with Joe Biden, and that he's urging his supporters to support Biden.

"Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfs." -- Sanders on Trump's response to the pandemic.

This is actually one of Sanders's best speeches. It's all about Biden and Biden's platform  as an alternative to Trump. 

3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Bernie, having lost a lot of weight, has an interesting twist to his message: he's actually talking about compromising with conservatives. I've never seen this type of Bernie before. Selling Firewood and Weight loss pills to his friends across the aisle apparently.

You must not have heard a lot of his speeches. He talks about working with Conservatives a lot. 

• Upvote 1

Well they made an attempt at a crowd by showing 5 random families clapping after Bernie's speech.

Just now, vcczar said:

You must not have heard a lot of his speeches. He talks about working with Conservatives a lot. 

Interesting, I'd not heard of it a lot. Granted, it wasn't until he began running for President that he actually started doing things in the Senate so either way it's that new Bernie. But this is interesting.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Interesting, I'd not heard of it a lot. Granted, it wasn't until he began running for President that he actually started doing things in the Senate so either way it's that new Bernie. But this is interesting.

He works primarily with the more Libertarian or very moderate conservatives in areas where agreement can be found -- justice system-related things, civil liberties,  agricultural things, military cats, anti-intervention, and things like that. 

• Like 1
Just now, vcczar said:

He works primarily with the more Libertarian or very moderate conservatives in areas where agreement can be found -- justice system-related things, civil liberties,  agricultural things, military cats, anti-intervention, and things like that. 

Oh sure. I'm familiar because he works with some of my favorites on stuff like that. 

On a side note- God I wish Michelle Obama was still First Lady.

• Like 3

Along with "bipartisanship", I feel like "empathy" is the key word of Day 1. "Character" might be the next big word. Michelle Obama has used both the latter two.

Empathy, Character, Unity, Bipartisanship. Even Bernie was getting in on the moderation and conciliatory tone, he hit very few left-wing policy initiatives. This was a good night and makes me feel good about being a Republican for Biden. This night was overall well put together in my view. I hope they can keep it up but it was a strong start.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A reprise of Michelle's "going high" line is a well-placed call back to her 2016 speech and reminds of her oratory skill and her genuine care for American and its people.

I like that she's harkening back to her old speech. It's definitely more outright political of a speech--more aggressive without being too aggressive. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I like that she's harkening back to her old speech. It's definitely more outright political of a speech--more aggressive without being too aggressive. 

But, notably, she ends on the age old Michellism that she "hates politics". It's something that I believe less and less the more polished a speaker she becomes. Then again, I don't think she'll ever run because a large part of me does absolutely believe the mother in her hates politics.

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Empathy, Character, Unity, Bipartisanship. Even Bernie was getting in on the moderation and conciliatory tone, he hit very few left-wing policy initiatives. This was a good night and makes me feel good about being a Republican for Biden. This night was overall well put together in my view. I hope they can keep it up but it was a strong start.

Yeah, despite the odd format, the speeches were mostly great and the messaging is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the 2016 Convention.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

But, notably, she ends on the age old Michellism that she "hates politics". It's something that I believe less and less the more polished a speaker she becomes. Then again, I don't think she'll ever run because a large part of me does absolutely believe the mother in her hates politics.

I can't think she can be married to Barack Obama and really hate politics. I think she hates "politics" but doesn't hate politics.

Just now, vcczar said:

I can't think she can be married to Barack Obama and really hate politics. I think she hates "politics" but doesn't hate politics.

I agree with this assessment.

Just now, vcczar said:

"Trump is clearly in over his head" -- Michelle Obama. I think she's goading the easily-goaded Trump to attack her.

And the best part? She's being poised, courteous, even nice about it. She knows how to respectfully push his buttons.

• Upvote 1

Her stanza on the importance of voting is probably my favorite so far of this great speech. The imagery she draws on the need to vote by mail or in person is powerful and is re-assuring that there are lots of people that are excited to get out and vote.

• Like 1