270soft Forum

Democratic National Convention Schedule Poll

Democratic National Convention Schedule Poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you most looking forward to listening to on Day 1?

• Amy Klobuchar
    • Catherine Cortez Masto
    • Andrew Cuomo
    • Gretchen Whitmer
    • Jim Clyburn
    • Bennie Thompson
    • Gwen Moore
    • Doug Jones
    • Bernie Sanders
    • John Kasich
    • Michelle Obama
  2. 2. Who are you most looking forward to listening to on Day 2?

• Keynote Address - Stacey Abrams leads a group of 16 others to give a joint speech from up and coming Democrats
    • Sally Yates
    • Chuck Schumer
    • John Kerry
    • Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    • Lisa Blunt Rochester
    • Bill Clinton
    • Jill Biden
    • None of the above
  3. 3. Who are you most looking forward to listening to on Day 3?

• Elizabeth Warren
    • Nancy Pelosi
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Tony Evers
    • Michelle Lujan Grisham
    • Gabby Giffords
    • Kamala Harris
    • Barack Obama
    • None of the above
  4. 4. Who are you most looking forward to listening to on Day 4?

• Cory Booker
    • Pete Buttigieg
    • Gavin Newsom
    • Keisha Lance Bottoms
    • Tammy Baldwin
    • Tammy Duckworth
    • Chris Coons
    • Michael Bloomberg
    • Andrew Yang
    • Joe Biden
    • None of the above
    • None of the above
  5. 5. Is this a good convention lineup?

Due to the time difference I won't watch it live. 

I chose Doug Jones, Kasich, Bloomberg and Yang.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

New poll

I’m a bit confused. Should I vote for all those I am interested/excited to hear or just the most interested/excited.

4 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I’m a bit confused. Should I vote for all those I am interested/excited to hear or just the most interested/excited.

You choose.

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

Won't listen to any of these. Most of these are usually pretty boring. Might look at a highlight reel.

I always watch both party conventions, every speaker, because I’m interested in how they frame things and what’s they’re trying to push, etc. I never get bored unless something is repetitive. I’ve even watched most of the television conventions from the past. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I always watch both party conventions, every speaker, because I’m interested in how they frame things and what’s they’re trying to push, etc. I never get bored unless something is repetitive. I’ve even watched most of the television conventions from the past. 

I'd read a summary if you wrote one up. 🤓

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I'd read a summary if you wrote one up. 🤓

I might do that. I might have done so last year. 

• Upvote 1

I just looked at the Democratic 2020 platform. It’s 95% Hillary Clinton’s platform. 5% of it is leaning toward Sanders, mostly on climate change. It includes favorable rhetoric towards progressives even while opting not to adopt their policies. 

This isn’t too much of a surprise. Technically, it’s the most progressive platform my a major party in US history, but only because progressives can’t get nominated. 

While it is a no brainer that this platform is preferable to Trump’s, I see almost nothing in the 80 page platform draft to get really excited about. 

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

New poll

I recently read that, in the 1880 U.S. Presidential Election, all three of the Republican, Democratic, and Greenback National Conventions had, as their first speaker in a proper sense (not including the opening prayer and the selection of a Convention President and him doing a delegate roll call and calling affairs to order) in each of the three a female suffragate speaker - a different one for each - pleading for women's suffrage to be added to that given party's platform.

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I just looked at the Democratic 2020 platform. It’s 95% Hillary Clinton’s platform. 5% of it is leaning toward Sanders, mostly on climate change. It includes favorable rhetoric towards progressives even while opting not to adopt their policies. 

This isn’t too much of a surprise. Technically, it’s the most progressive platform my a major party in US history, but only because progressives can’t get nominated. 

While it is a no brainer that this platform is preferable to Trump’s, I see almost nothing in the 80 page platform draft to get really excited about. 

This strikes me as typical - disappointing, tone-deaf, and a lost opportunity, as well as Establishment arrogance and "spoils mentality with a few crumbs thrown to the defeated party faction," - but typical.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Patine said:

I recently read that, in the 1880 U.S. Presidential Election, all three of the Republican, Democratic, and Greenback National Conventions had, as their first speaker in a proper sense (not including the opening prayer and the selection of a Convention President and him doing a delegate roll call and calling affairs to order) in each of the three a female suffragate speaker - a different one for each - pleading for women's suffrage to be added to that given party's platform.

And it still took 40 years to happen. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I keep making these points. But Moderates online keep spewing "you're helping Trump and Russia. "

I'm like, can't people be critical, be unexcited and still vote for a Party? I've seen lots of Progressives critical of Biden get shit on. Despite these progressives saying they're voting for Biden and even actively Canvassing. 

The moderates seems to have a seething hatred of Progressives, even towards Warren Democrats. I don't ever foresee the Democratic Party get to the point of Unity like Trump's Republican Party. 

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, CentristGuy said:

I keep making these points. But Moderates online keep spewing "you're helping Trump and Russia. "

I'm like, can't people be critical, be unexcited and still vote for a Party? I've seen lots of Progressives critical of Biden get shit on. Despite these progressives saying they're voting for Biden and even actively Canvassing. 

The moderates seems to have a seething hatred of Progressives, even towards Warren Democrats. I don't ever foresee the Democratic Party get to the point of Unity like Trump's Republican Party. 

I’ve seen that too. 

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

I’ve seen that too. 

I've seen a Warren Guy get shat on in Twitter for saying he has concerns with Harris' record as Prosecutor and how it'll affect BLM. He clarified in the replies that he's actively "phonebanking" for Biden and Harris. And still, that wasn't enough. Because apparently any criticism helps Trump. 

If they're like this before Biden even got elected, how do you think they'll act after he's elected? 

I genuinely felt bad for the dude coz he seemed genuine with his Progressivism and at the same time his efforts to stop Trump from furthering his damage. 

Just now, CentristGuy said:

I've seen a Warren Guy get shat on in Twitter for saying he has concerns with Harris' record as Prosecutor and how it'll affect BLM. He clarified in the replies that he's actively "phonebanking" for Biden and Harris. And still, that wasn't enough. Because apparently any criticism helps Trump. 

Although it's twitter so the bar is pretty low. 

26 minutes ago, CentristGuy said:

If they're like this before Biden even got elected, how do you think they'll act after he's elected? 

I genuinely felt bad for the dude coz he seemed genuine with his Progressivism and at the same time his efforts to stop Trump from furthering his damage. 

At least that's only a minority of Biden voters. I've had only one person get mad at me for saying that I'd vote for Biden even though he isn't ideal. 

31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

At least that's only a minority of Biden voters. I've had only one person get mad at me for saying that I'd vote for Biden even though he isn't ideal. 

It is. And I hope Biden Supporters and the Media gave Bernie Supporters the same benefit of the doubt. 

11 hours ago, CentristGuy said:

Moderate here.  Generally speaking, we don't really seeth hatred about anything.  It's one of the things that makes us a moderate.

I'd also flag that Twitter is just a shitty place in general -- and as we learning in the 2016 election, there's a whole lot of Russian trolls on all sides of an issue, stirring up more shit just to breed chaos.  Never confuse Twitter for real life.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I'd also flag that Twitter is just a shitty place in general -- and as we learning in the 2016 election, there's a whole lot of Russian trolls on all sides of an issue, stirring up more shit just to breed chaos.  Never confuse Twitter for real life.

Um, @Actinguy, you do know the "Russian trolls on all sides of an issue, stirring up more shit just to breed chaos," on Twitter are absolutely dwarfed in number by their American, or even other First World, counterparts. Is such behaviour "worse," when Russians do it, or more acceptable when Americans or other First Worlders do it? I would say no - but I then again, I wouldn't be hung up on stupid, counter-productive, lacking accuracy or perspective, and socially ruinous Neo-Cold War stereotypes - the kind of stereotypes that belong in the dustbin of history, not being taken seriously by intelligent people.

13 hours ago, Actinguy said:

There are literal Twitter Blue Checks who did what I said. So eh. It might be an exaggeration, but many Moderates are what I describe them to be. They hate Bernie Sanders. 

6 hours ago, CentristGuy said:

There are literal Twitter Blue Checks who did what I said. So eh. It might be an exaggeration, but many Moderates are what I describe them to be. They hate Bernie Sanders. 

How did you reach the conclusion that many hate him?

I don’t hate him and I don’t know any Democrats (most of whom are moderates, amongst my friends) who do.

At worst, we think he’s a good guy with good intentions but a bit naive, or that if he were the general election nominee he would lose to Donald Trump.  You can disagree with either belief and that’s okay, but it’s just not true that moderates hate him.  We just don’t think he’s our best bet as President.

15 hours ago, Patine said:

Um, @Actinguy, you do know the "Russian trolls on all sides of an issue, stirring up more shit just to breed chaos," on Twitter are absolutely dwarfed in number by their American, or even other First World, counterparts. Is such behaviour "worse," when Russians do it, or more acceptable when Americans or other First Worlders do it? I would say no - but I then again, I wouldn't be hung up on stupid, counter-productive, lacking accuracy or perspective, and socially ruinous Neo-Cold War stereotypes - the kind of stereotypes that belong in the dustbin of history, not being taken seriously by intelligent people.

78188FD2-733A-49D2-9092-C297BC2B2A21.jpeg.a96f39d0ace47a8493c688d71833d416.jpeg

• Haha 1