Jump to content
270soft Forum

Women* Game Jam Canada e-mail


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I'm not talking about Professors punishing people who disagree with them, although there is that.

I'm talking about an overall political climate that tends to be hostile towards conservatives.

Sounds like your Prof bud was a true liberal.

I mean...sometimes the truth is hostile towards conservatives.  Not all of the time.  But sometimes.  If a University is to be a place for truth, then it is sometimes not going to be giving conservatives a giant hug.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm late to this post, but as someone on this forum who identifies as Nonbinary and uses They/Them pronouns (as well as someone who works with LGBTQ) causes I just wanted to chime in with a few stray

I’m saying that I try not to be a jerk about these kinds of things.     I’m not sure that this post/thread is necessary, especially when to my knowledge there aren’t any women here, much less a

C'mon man, really? We're better than this.

3 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

If a University is to be a place for truth, then it is sometimes not going to be giving conservatives a giant hug.

I don't think you really know what you're talking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

C'mon man, really? We're better than this.

Better than what? Oh I said the p* and v* words. Get the stocks ready. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I mean...sometimes the truth is hostile towards conservatives.  Not all of the time.  But sometimes.  If a University is to be a place for truth, then it is sometimes not going to be giving conservatives a giant hug.

We don't need a hug. We just don't understand why the other side does. We're talking about a group of insecure children who were so traumatized by Trump's victory that they needed to be excused from exams, given play-doh, coloring books and therapy dogs.  If the University is a place for truth, why are conservative speakers banned and attacked? Why are conservative students afraid to speak their mind and get ridiculed and marked down on papers when they do? Why do conservative clubs get shot down by Student Senates? Why are Universities becoming the enemy of free speech?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hestia11 said:

Everyone has struggles in different areas. I live in a rural area and being a liberal here is not good, akin to a conservative in a city. 

The difference is this - I was asked once if it was harder to be a conservative in a blue state or a liberal in a red state. I answered the former, and here's why: The liberal ethos is more government programs, regulations, and the taxes that go with it. Conservatives generally want everyone to be left alone. Hence, a group of Bernie bros in Alabama can get together and form a commune wherever and whenever they want. If a city or county in Idaho wants to guarantee health care for its residents, there's nothing stopping them. But if a state like California bans guns statewide, you can't have gun clubs because their rules are so more far reaching. There are more rules that affect EVERYONE. Whereas lack of regulations only affects groups that want more, and can have locally as much as they want. Bottom line: It's possible to have pockets of progressivism in red states, it's far less possible to have pockets of conservatism in blue states.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, servo75 said:

Better than what? Oh I said the p* and v* words. Get the stocks ready. 😂

No, servo. You just managed to erase the identities of a whole segment of the population and date yourself in the process. Just because we're conservatives doesn't mean we have to let the stereotype of us being close-minded prevail. And certainly as libertarians we ought to accept diversity and personal choice and personal identity as a strength and a mark of a strong and free society that can embrace differences and embrace the importance of self-acceptance and human dignity.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, servo75 said:

Conservatives generally want everyone to be left alone.

If only this were true then Trump would not be President and party would not be bending over backwards to perform oral on him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

If only this were true then Trump would not be President and party would not be bending over backwards to perform oral on him.

Reagan04, I'm trying really hard to maintain a civil relationship here, but I'm getting really tired of you making EVERY one of my comments into something about Trump, even when I didn't mention him at all. It's almost like you have such a visceral and unquenchable hatred of the man that you have to reflexively insult him even when he's not even the topic of conversation. Chill out, dude.

But since you brought him up, Trump would not be President if the party didn't bend over backwards to perform oral on the Democrats.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, servo75 said:

Reagan04, I'm trying really hard to maintain a civil relationship here, but I'm getting really tired of you making EVERY one of my comments into something about Trump, even when I didn't mention him at all. It's almost like you have such a visceral and unquenchable hatred of the man that you have to reflexively insult him even when he's not even the topic of conversation. Chill out, dude.

I don't think you understand the power of the Presidency and the looming impact Trump has had on the party. I think our relationship is plenty civil but I'll call things like I see them.

We can't pretend that conservatism or the GOP is about "leaving people alone" when we are a party and ideological movement lead by Donald Trump. The two things are incompatible. That's all.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

erase the identities

Did I delete their social security numbers or something? I can't believe you're falling for the SJW line of "we're not safe," or "our identities are being erased" because.... we won't give in and let you use whatever bathroom you want? Gender dysphoria is a real and serious thing. I feel bad for these people but they need treatment, not special privileges. And this isn't even about personal choice. As a libertarian, I believe one is free to believe they're a girl, a boy, or a 30 foot long talking zebra. I also believe in a non-aggression principle. I also believe that one does not have the right to force me acknowledge them as a 30 foot long talking zebra. One cannot force me to call them "xe" or "zim." One cannot make up their own bathroom rules just because they wake up and decide they're a girl one day, a boy the next, and non-gendered the day after that. Dysphoria is one thing, but we've gone past this into the point of delusion. If a 40-year-old man is going to "identify" as a 10 year old girl, that person is sick. I feel bad for him. I hope he gets the psychological treatment he needs. But we do him no favors by indulging him, any more than we tell the schizophrenic, "Yeah I know, I hear the voices too."

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I don't think you understand the power of the Presidency and the looming impact Trump has had on the party. I think our relationship is plenty civil but I'll call things like I see them.

We can't pretend that conservatism or the GOP is about "leaving people alone" when we are a party and ideological movement lead by Donald Trump. The two things are incompatible. That's all.

 

I think that reducing regulations, signing a "right to try law" and "first step act" are steps toward leaving people alone. But even putting all that aside, you still remain a Republican despite your hatred of Trump. Why? If yours is still a party defined by Trump, why are you part of it? The irony is, I'm NOT a Republican, at least until their leaders grow a semblance of a spine, and they get their social policy into the 21st century. But this has NOTHING to do with Trump. I feel I'm able to separate the man from the party and ideology. It seems like you feel you're obligated to bring in the Trump Insult of the Day even when he's not the topic at hand. I believe there's more to any party or movement than any one person.

Bottom line: If you think Trump is not a real Republican or real conservative, but then you say you're a party and ideological movement led by Trump, one that you still consider yourself a part of a movement led by a man that you hate, I see a bit of irony and contradiction there. That's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, servo75 said:

Did I delete their social security numbers or something? I can't believe you're falling for the SJW line of "we're not safe," or "our identities are being erased" because.... we won't give in and let you use whatever bathroom you want? Gender dysphoria is a real and serious thing. I feel bad for these people but they need treatment, not special privileges. And this isn't even about personal choice. As a libertarian, I believe one is free to believe they're a girl, a boy, or a 30 foot long talking zebra. I also believe in a non-aggression principle. I also believe that one does not have the right to force me acknowledge them as a 30 foot long talking zebra. One cannot force me to call them "xe" or "zim." One cannot make up their own bathroom rules just because they wake up and decide they're a girl one day, a boy the next, and non-gendered the day after that. Dysphoria is one thing, but we've gone past this into the point of delusion. If a 40-year-old man is going to "identify" as a 10 year old girl, that person is sick. I feel bad for him. I hope he gets the psychological treatment he needs. But we do him no favors by indulging him, any more than we tell the schizophrenic, "Yeah I know, I hear the voices too."

Unfortunately I don't have time to unpack the incredible, likely unintended, bigotry that is piled into this paragraph. I just want you to know that America is past this sort of 20th century thinking and I invite you to do better as well. Perhaps we'll discuss this again at some point but it's never a good day when basic human rights have to be defended against total dismissal.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, servo75 said:

The difference is this - I was asked once if it was harder to be a conservative in a blue state or a liberal in a red state. I answered the former, and here's why: The liberal ethos is more government programs, regulations, and the taxes that go with it. Conservatives generally want everyone to be left alone. Hence, a group of Bernie bros in Alabama can get together and form a commune wherever and whenever they want. If a city or county in Idaho wants to guarantee health care for its residents, there's nothing stopping them. But if a state like California bans guns statewide, you can't have gun clubs because their rules are so more far reaching. There are more rules that affect EVERYONE. Whereas lack of regulations only affects groups that want more, and can have locally as much as they want. Bottom line: It's possible to have pockets of progressivism in red states, it's far less possible to have pockets of conservatism in blue states.

Yes small government ideas like letting people choose what they want with their bodies. Conservation ideas like eliminating funds for public schools in the name of lower taxes. Its always worse for the side you identify yourself with because you can belittle the problems of the other side. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, servo75 said:

We don't need a hug. We just don't understand why the other side does. We're talking about a group of insecure children who were so traumatized by Trump's victory that they needed to be excused from exams, given play-doh, coloring books and therapy dogs.  If the University is a place for truth, why are conservative speakers banned and attacked? Why are conservative students afraid to speak their mind and get ridiculed and marked down on papers when they do? Why do conservative clubs get shot down by Student Senates? Why are Universities becoming the enemy of free speech?

Um...none of those things happened to me in college.  And I went while Obama was President.  I assure you that I saw neither play-doh nor coloring books the entire time.

But if somebody wants to color on their own time, why does that even matter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Um...none of those things happened to me in college.  And I went while Obama was President.  I assure you that I saw neither play-doh nor coloring books the entire time.

But if somebody wants to color on their own time, why does that even matter?

It's part of his new small government policies package- "Coloring Control". 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, servo75 said:

If the University is a place for truth, why are conservative speakers banned and attacked? Why are conservative students afraid to speak their mind and get ridiculed and marked down on papers when they do? Why do conservative clubs get shot down by Student Senates? Why are Universities becoming the enemy of free speech?

Not to mention that conservative professors and guest speakers are regularly attacked. At my university the police has to protect the lectures of a right-wing history professor, because Antifa activists are blocking students from entering his lectures. I have seen it live and it's regularly covered in newspapers.

It's the same in Hamburg, where former politician Bernd Lucke can barely held a lecture without protests. https://www.dw.com/en/hamburg-protests-disrupt-afd-founder-luckes-university-lecture/a-50855811 Do they care about students who want to take Lucke's class putting politics aside? Imagine some rural college would target a Democrat professor... Under usual circumstances a campus should be an open room for discussion on various opinions. It's called debating and it's an important part of the academical culture.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

It's the same in Hamburg, where former politician Bernd Lucke can barely held a lecture without protests. https://www.dw.com/en/hamburg-protests-disrupt-afd-founder-luckes-university-lecture/a-50855811 Do they care about students who want to take Lucke's class putting politics aside? Imagine some rural college would target a Democrat professor... Under usual circumstances a campus should be an open room for discussion on various opinions. It's called debating and it's an important part of the academical culture.

In my experience, it has been usually high school level conservative teachers that are pushing what they believe. At that age, you're still rather young to be questioning a teacher. Trust me, I know what it's like to be the only one in the class advocating for my side. "Libtard" is a frequent description 😉 when as I'm sure you know, I'm far from the farthest left person on this forum. 

I don't think any liberal is saying that this is a good thing that's happening. But it seems like you are saying it only goes one way, when in fact that is not the case. At colleges, yes it usually is against conservatives, but there are other forums in which liberals are targeted for their beliefs as well. Each side should be trying to help the other rather than point the finger and say that we have it worse. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I don't think any liberal is saying that this is a good thing that's happening. But it seems like you are saying it only goes one way, when in fact that is not the case. At colleges, yes it usually is against conservatives, but there are other forums in which liberals are targeted for their beliefs as well. Each side should be trying to help the other rather than point the finger and say that we have it worse. 

I can only speak of the areas I have an insight into ;)  That might be true, but I would not support excluding a liberal from any activities. When people don't hold extremist believes they should be allowed to speak.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I can only speak of the areas I have an insight into ;)  That might be true, but I would not support excluding a liberal from any activities. When people don't hold extremist believes they should be allowed to speak.

On that we agree wholeheartedly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I can only speak of the areas I have an insight into ;)  That might be true, but I would not support excluding a liberal from any activities. When people don't hold extremist believes they should be allowed to speak.

Now all we need is to agree on what constitutes "extremist".  That way we can know who deserves to be censored.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pilight said:

Now all we need is to agree on what constitutes "extremist".  That way we can know who deserves to be censored.

I'd say it's good to start with ideologies similarly to antisemitism, fascism, communism, nazism, racism and others like these.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I'd say it's good to start with ideologies similarly to antisemitism, fascism, communism, nazism, racism and others like these.

People can't agree on what those are.  Take a simple statement; “One perfect example of how special interests and the powerful have pitted white working-class Americans against brown and black working Americans in order to just screw over all working-class Americans is Reaganism in the ’80s.”  There are plenty of people who would (and did) call that statement racist.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Just because we're conservatives

Most responses from you I read aren't what I would call conservative. Just as identifying as a 30 foot long talking zebra doesn't make you one, identifying as a conservative doesn't make you one. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...