Jump to content
270soft Forum

10 Most Vulnerable Senators


Which Vulnerable Senators will keep their job?  

22 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Vulnerable Senators will keep their job?

    • AL: Sen. Doug Jones (D) will defeat football coach Tommy Tuberville (R).
    • CO: Sen. Cory Gardner (R) will defeat former Gov. John Hickenlooper (D)
    • AZ: Sen. Martha McSally (R) will defeat astronaut Mark Kelly (D), who is also the husband of gunshot victim former US Rep. Gabby Giffords
    • NC: Sen. Thom Tillis (R) will defeat army vet and former state senator Cal Cunningham (D)
    • ME: Sen. Susan Collins (R) will defeat state house speaker Sara Gideon (D)
    • GA-Special Election: Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R) will defeat US Rep. Doug Collins (R) *Yes, two republicans. Democrats have split their vote three ways and no one will drop out*
    • IA - Joni Ernst (R) will defeat real estate exec Theresa Greenfield (D)
    • MT: Steve Daines (R) will defeat Gov. Steve Bullock (D)
    • MA: Ed Markey (D) will defeat US Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy III (D) *Yes, two Dems. Whoever wins this will be the US Senator*
    • GA: David Purdue (R) will defeat documentary film producer Jon Ossof (D)
    • One I'll add since they're polling a tossup-- SC: Lindsay Graham (R) will defeat former DNC chair for SC Jaime Harrison
    • None. Every challenger will be defeated.
      0


Recommended Posts

I think Jones loses for sure. Gardner, Susan Collins and Loeffler could lose as well (I'd probably vote for Doug Collins over Loeffler, not sure)

EDIT: I think Markey is possible to lose as well. (I'd back Markey over Kennedy)

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's David Perdue, not Purdue, and he's gonna win

As for the GA special election, there are a ton of undecideds.  Most are Democrats, so it's possible that Tarver or Warnock make the run-off along with Collins/Loeffler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pilight said:

It's David Perdue, not Purdue, and he's gonna win

As for the GA special election, there are a ton of undecideds.  Most are Democrats, so it's possible that Tarver or Warnock make the run-off along with Collins/Loeffler.

Or, perhaps, they'll even get the Senate seat like Thurmond got his in 1954 or Murkowski got hers in 2010.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pilight said:

It's David Perdue, not Purdue, and he's gonna win

As for the GA special election, there are a ton of undecideds.  Most are Democrats, so it's possible that Tarver or Warnock make the run-off along with Collins/Loeffler.

I constantly misspell his name

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that Ossoff’s qualification is that he does documentaries and not that he was the 2017 GA-6 nominee and Golden boy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

I like that Ossoff’s qualification is that he does documentaries and not that he was the 2017 GA-6 nominee and Golden boy.

I only put offices held or their occupation

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I wish Kennedy had run for Governor in 2022.  A blue Mass gov would then free up Warren’s ability to leave the senate for a cabinet post.

Its sensationalism. My politics may align more with Kennedy but the move reeks of opportunism and the "Kennedy name" so I'm with Markey.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I wish Kennedy had run for Governor in 2022.  A blue Mass gov would then free up Warren’s ability to leave the senate for a cabinet post.

 

14 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Its sensationalism. My politics may align more with Kennedy but the move reeks of opportunism and the "Kennedy name" so I'm with Markey.

I'm with Kennedy mainly because Markey has been in politics for decades. I think fresh faces make a party seem more invigorating. I have not issues with Markey, and he's probably ideologically more similar to me than Kennedy, but both will vote mostly along party lines, so I'll go with the younger one. I think if Kennedy loses, then his career is basically over. Markey isn't going anywhere. Losing Kennedy might be bad for Democrats in the future. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t really know Markey.  I found Kennedy to be an inspiring speaker the one time I watched him speak live.  Markey and Warren also spoke that day and nobody cared — Kennedy was the one bringing the electricity.  
 

But there’s a Republican Governor that Kennedy could have challenged and presumably crushed in two years, helping the party while also greatly advancing his own career.  I don’t really understand how that wasn’t the path chosen.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I don’t really know Markey.  I found Kennedy to be an inspiring speaker the one time I watched him speak live.  Markey and Warren also spoke that day and nobody cared — Kennedy was the one bringing the electricity.  
 

But there’s a Republican Governor that Kennedy could have challenged and presumably crushed in two years, helping the party while also greatly advancing his own career.  I don’t really understand how that wasn’t the path chosen.

Markey is to the left of JPK and to the right of Warren, but closer to Warren.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

 

I'm with Kennedy mainly because Markey has been in politics for decades. I think fresh faces make a party seem more invigorating. I have not issues with Markey, and he's probably ideologically more similar to me than Kennedy, but both will vote mostly along party lines, so I'll go with the younger one. I think if Kennedy loses, then his career is basically over. Markey isn't going anywhere. Losing Kennedy might be bad for Democrats in the future. 

 

 

Just now, Actinguy said:

I don’t really know Markey.  I found Kennedy to be an inspiring speaker the one time I watched him speak live.  Markey and Warren also spoke that day and nobody cared — Kennedy was the one bringing the electricity.  
 

But there’s a Republican Governor that Kennedy could have challenged and presumably crushed in two years, helping the party while also greatly advancing his own career.  I don’t really understand how that wasn’t the path chosen.

I get that, but it irks me that he had to do it right now. If he loses, that's his own fault for letting his ambition get ahead of him. He's trying to oust a liberal lion for what? He hasn't even been able to come up with a good reason to run. And if you don't have a good reason to run other than "generational change", then maybe you shouldn't be running at all. The fact that he's using the Senate perch as a launching pad is not exactly a good look either - I don't know if that's different state to state, but if one of my Senators was getting primaried by a Rep looking to climb up the tree, I'd be angry too. Is he really wanting to serve the people of Massachusetts if it's clearly a grab for more power at a national scale?

The thing is that I see - Kennedy may be an inspiring speaker, I'll give him that. But there's not really that many opportunities to use that in the Senate. A few speeches or two may light a fire, but Markey's record of accomplishment is longer than Kennedy's. Use that to run for governor in '22. Use it to run for President, or aim for the Cabinet or something. Just not primary a member of the party for god's sake. I may be a bit too far on the "disrespect" shtick, but I think it's disrespectful to a Senator who has done nothing but good for the party since he's been in office. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

 

 

I get that, but it irks me that he had to do it right now. If he loses, that's his own fault for letting his ambition get ahead of him. He's trying to oust a liberal lion for what? He hasn't even been able to come up with a good reason to run. And if you don't have a good reason to run other than "generational change", then maybe you shouldn't be running at all. The fact that he's using the Senate perch as a launching pad is not exactly a good look either - I don't know if that's different state to state, but if one of my Senators was getting primaried by a Rep looking to climb up the tree, I'd be angry too. Is he really wanting to serve the people of Massachusetts if it's clearly a grab for more power at a national scale?

The thing is that I see - Kennedy may be an inspiring speaker, I'll give him that. But there's not really that many opportunities to use that in the Senate. A few speeches or two may light a fire, but Markey's record of accomplishment is longer than Kennedy's. Use that to run for governor in '22. Use it to run for President, or aim for the Cabinet or something. Just not primary a member of the party for god's sake. I may be a bit too far on the "disrespect" shtick, but I think it's disrespectful to a Senator who has done nothing but good for the party since he's been in office. 

 

I think generational change is enough. That's a huge reason! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vcczar said:

I think generational change is enough. That's a huge reason! 

I'm not sure when it seems Markey is with the times. He sponsored the Green New Deal, something that I haven't really read all that into so I can't comment whether or not I support it, which is a progressive hallmark. Kennedy is really running on star power, not really any achievements of his own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think generational change is enough. That's a huge reason! 

Mikhail Gorbachev was chosen as General Secretary of the CPSU for "general change," as one of the major reasons - every previous Soviet leader had been born before the Russian Revolution of 1917. He instituted radical and ill-thought out reforms that were far too reckless and too fast, leading to a rapid deterioration and then collapse of the nation into a chaotic bleeding hole that took a decade to recover from. Case and point about generational change, in-and-of-itself, being enough. ;)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

But there’s a Republican Governor that Kennedy could have challenged and presumably crushed in two years,

Beaten? Maybe. Crushed? Absolutely not. Charlie Baker won't stop being Governor of Massachusetts until Charlie Baker is done being Governor of Massachusetts.

Also losing Kennedy is good for Democrats nationally in my opinion @vcczar. He's not the kind of guy, with the charisma of a wet rag and the sweat factor of a, well, wet rag, that the Democrats want leading them.

The family name does not confer its blessings within him.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I don’t really know Markey.  I found Kennedy to be an inspiring speaker the one time I watched him speak live.  Markey and Warren also spoke that day and nobody cared — Kennedy was the one bringing the electricity.  
 

But there’s a Republican Governor that Kennedy could have challenged and presumably crushed in two years, helping the party while also greatly advancing his own career.  I don’t really understand how that wasn’t the path chosen.

There's no way anyone is going to "crush" Charlie Baker, and especially not Joe Kennedy. Like @Reagan04 said, Kennedy has the charisma of a wet rag and getting him out of political office will be doing Democrats a huge favor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Actinguy said:

But there’s a Republican Governor that Kennedy could have challenged and presumably crushed in two years, helping the party while also greatly advancing his own career.  I don’t really understand how that wasn’t the path chosen.

I don't know if that would be good for both parties. If one of the last acceptable Republicans with moderate appeal is losing in a landslide, the Trump-Kobach faction might came to the conclusion they are right... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I don't know if that would be good for both parties. If one of the last acceptable Republicans with moderate appeal is losing in a landslide, the Trump-Kobach faction might came to the conclusion they are right... 

I mean...are they questioning themselves?  They already seem to be confident that they are right.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

Beaten? Maybe. Crushed? Absolutely not. Charlie Baker won't stop being Governor of Massachusetts until Charlie Baker is done being Governor of Massachusetts.

Also losing Kennedy is good for Democrats nationally in my opinion @vcczar. He's not the kind of guy, with the charisma of a wet rag and the sweat factor of a, well, wet rag, that the Democrats want leading them.

The family name does not confer its blessings within him.

I found him to be one of the most charismatic public speakers I've ever seen.  Now, is he as charismatic in one-on-one conversations, media interviews, etc?  I have no idea.  But he had that crowd eating out of his hand, and it wasn't even his event.  When Warren finally took the stage to announce her campaign for President after his warm up, it was like the air had been taken out of the room because Kennedy had taken a step away from the microphone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Actinguy said:

I mean...are they questioning themselves?  They already seem to be confident that they are right.

True.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Actinguy said:

I found him to be one of the most charismatic public speakers I've ever seen.  Now, is he as charismatic in one-on-one conversations, media interviews, etc?  I have no idea.  But he had that crowd eating out of his hand, and it wasn't even his event.  When Warren finally took the stage to announce her campaign for President after his warm up, it was like the air had been taken out of the room because Kennedy had taken a step away from the microphone.

That's interesting because Warren herself is a very energizing speaker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Actinguy said:

I found him to be one of the most charismatic public speakers I've ever seen.  Now, is he as charismatic in one-on-one conversations, media interviews, etc?  I have no idea.  But he had that crowd eating out of his hand, and it wasn't even his event.  When Warren finally took the stage to announce her campaign for President after his warm up, it was like the air had been taken out of the room because Kennedy had taken a step away from the microphone.

I don’t know what body double you were watching but I’ve seen him get roasted by Markey in a debate and absolutely bomb the SOTU response.

He is one of the most overhyped speakers I’ve ever seen. Poor guy, an average politician with the last name Kennedy will always fall short of expectations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...