270soft Forum

"Why the hell would I take a test?"

2 hours ago, Patine said:

The signs of the Deep Decline of the Once Great Civilization and Empire of the United States have been clearly visible for quite a few years now. It's at the historical stage where it is still militarily and economically unchallengeable externally (for now), but politically, culturally, and socially the rot is VERY obvious within - like where the Roman Empire stood about a century or two before the first Goths sacked Rome, following the nifty roads that all led there.

The end is near!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1. The Covid charts debacle 2. Refusing to recognize the Russian bounties 3. Doubling down on wishing Ghislaine Maxwell well 4. Within the next breathe bashing Portland protesters and j

It's not as bad as Trump's Axios interview

Honestly dude, I know this may sound crazy. But the whole damn thing is a compilation clip of itself. It's just moment after moment of madness. It's worth experiencing for yourself even if you just li

2 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

The end is near!!

The fall, or even diminishment or demotion in status as a power in the world, would not necessarily be the end of the world, any more than the fall of the Roman, Chinese, Spanish Colonial, British Colonial, Dutch Colonial and Trade, or Soviet Empires were. Definitely economic hardships would result for most, given the U.S. saturation of the world economy. But the to think it would automatically be "the End of the World,' is yet another example of arrogant and parochial, but ultimately ridiculous and undereducated thinking so typical of many Americans today (a form of thinking that is a weakness and liability, NOT a strength or asset).

17 hours ago, vcczar said:

Ok, that's largely a repeat of the first 11 minutes I already watched. They sometimes talk past each other and Swan comes across as a bit of a condescending prick while Trump comes across as a politician trying to stick to making certain points. Other than that, what is the news here?

52 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Ok, that's largely a repeat of the first 11 minutes I already watched. They sometimes talk past each other and Swan comes across as a bit of a condescending prick while Trump comes across as a politician trying to stick to making certain points. Other than that, what is the news here?

I see you've had your tall glass of Orange Kool-Aid today...

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

It seems to me that it highlights the incompetency of Trump and the fact that he has no real plan to deal with this.

-When asked about deaths, his response is "it is what it is". He pushed back at the interviewer who showed him how we are ahead in deaths in terms of population and Trump tries to tell him he can't do that. It's a totally fair question that Trump didn't want to tackle because it exposed his weakness.

-When asked about the rally he held indoors with thousands of people, he attacked the press for misreporting the attendance and boasted about how high the ratings were. None of that was the point of the question and as always Trump turns the question into "me me me" instead of focusing on the people.

-He claimed you can test too much, wouldn't provide any source as to who says that when pressed on it (because it is false). Saying that when he took over "we didn't have a test".

-When he doubled down on wishing Ghlislaine Maxwell well, what is the point of that? Why is he wishing her well when in the same interview he wouldn't even saying anything good about John Lewis?

-Claims he is doing very well with African Americans, acting like the economy being good is the only measure of what they care about. Wouldn't say that police treat black people differently than white people. On this question about systemic racism, he dodges the question and talks about the criminal justice bill he signed instead of talking about what more he could do to fix this problem. 

-When asked about how history will remember John Lewis, he said he didn't know and then attacked him for not going to his inauguration. To not even acknowledge what Lewis did for this country in terms of civil rights is ridiculous. And then Trump again claims that he has done more for black Americans than anybody except "maybe" Lincoln. 

It was a terrible interview. No good politician would be as unprepared and selfish in their answers as Trump has. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, MysteryKnight said:

It seems to me that it highlights the incompetency of Trump and the fact that he has no real plan to deal with this.

-When asked about deaths, his response is "it is what it is". He pushed back at the interviewer who showed him how we are ahead in deaths in terms of population and Trump tries to tell him he can't do that. It's a totally fair question that Trump didn't want to tackle because it exposed his weakness.

-When asked about the rally he held indoors with thousands of people, he attacked the press for misreporting the attendance and boasted about how high the ratings were. None of that was the point of the question and as always Trump turns the question into "me me me" instead of focusing on the people.

-He claimed you can test too much, wouldn't provide any source as to who says that when pressed on it (because it is false). Saying that when he took over "we didn't have a test".

-When he doubled down on wishing Ghlislaine Maxwell well, what is the point of that? Why is he wishing her well when in the same interview he wouldn't even saying anything good about John Lewis?

-Claims he is doing very well with African Americans, acting like the economy being good is the only measure of what they care about. Wouldn't say that police treat black people differently than white people. On this question about systemic racism, he dodges the question and talks about the criminal justice bill he signed instead of talking about what more he could do to fix this problem. 

-When asked about how history will remember John Lewis, he said he didn't know and then attacked him for not going to his inauguration. To not even acknowledge what Lewis did for this country in terms of civil rights is ridiculous. And then Trump again claims that he has done more for black Americans than anybody except "maybe" Lincoln. 

It was a terrible interview. No good politician would be as unprepared and selfish in their answers as Trump has. 

Many fair points here. But getting into the weeds on COVID-19 stats? OK ... but I simply don't see this as having a big impact on the election.

2 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Many fair points here. But getting into the weeds on COVID-19 stats? OK ... but I simply don't see this as having a big impact on the election.

So, one of the biggest issues by far facing this election, it's conduct, and it's candidates won't have a big impact on it?

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

So, one of the biggest issues by far facing this election, it's conduct, and it's candidates won't have a big impact on it?

Getting into the weeds over what are the most relevant metrics for tracking success re COVID-19 in an interview? No, I don't think it will have a big impact.

The issue is of course important - what are the relevant metrics for judging success or failure in government policies? But my guess is this sort of back and forth probably just leaves most people shrugging or tuning out.

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Getting into the weeds over what are the most relevant metrics for tracking success re COVID-19 in an interview? No, I don't think it will have a big impact.

The issue is of course important - what are the relevant metrics for judging success or failure in government policies? But my guess is this sort of back and forth probably just leaves most people shrugging or tuning out.

I think you're confusing the general indifference to economics stats and ratios, explaining the nitty gritty of national prosperity or poverty, which most voters don't even understand, as the same thing as numbers that indicate clearly unnecessary, inexcusable, unforgivable, and criminal (as in mass negligent manslaughter) deaths due to malign incompetence by their government.

1 hour ago, pilight said:

As further evidence of Trump's deteriorating mental state, his inability to pronounce the names of countries ("Thighland") that he's previously said correctly.

Only in the US can the leader have senile dementia!

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Only in the US can the leader have senile dementia!

There's been leaders in many, many nation around the world throughout history who obviously had senile dementia. Don't kid yourself that it's even remotely uniquely American. In fact. both Robert Mugabe and Mummar Gadaffi, both of whom died in the past decade, very obviously suffered from it, or a related condition, late in life, and King Salman al-Saud has Alzheimer's, which is a very similar type of ailment - similar enough that it used to long be just diagnosed as standard senility.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

as the same thing as numbers that indicate clearly unnecessary, inexcusable, unforgivable, and criminal (as in mass negligent manslaughter) deaths due to malign incompetence by their government

How do you show that in this case? I agree with Swan that mortalities / M is a relevant category. Of course, we might be early in the game, and all-cause mortalities will be the most relevant category.

But just going by that category to this point in time, are the leaders of San Marino, Belgium, the U.K., Andorra, Peru, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Chile, and France all in that boat (4/5 of the major European countries)? Because their mortalities / M to this point are worse or about the same as the U.S.'s.

3 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

But just going by that category to this point in time, are the leaders of San Marino, Belgium, the U.K., Andorra, Peru, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Chile, and France all in that boat (4/5 of the major European countries)? Because their mortalities / M to this point are worse or about the same as the U.S.'s.

I can say for sure that the Brits aren't super happy with Johnson's handling. Starmer brought it up multiple times in Parliament, even after he attempted to work with him. Macron's approval isn't too high either. Spain and Italy got hit hard and early - particularly Italy. They should've had better precautions, but they've stopped the incline (or at least for a while they did). For example, the UK had about 900-950 cases today. My state of Iowa had 650. A country with 66 million people versus a state with 3 million. The UK had just 1.4 times the amount of cases as Iowa. Meanwhile, their population is 22 times bigger than ours. And that's just 1 state. 

It shows while some countries may have gotten blasted quickly, they have adjusted to it, versus the US has definitely not. Our case count continues to rise. If other countries are able to handle this and we haven't been able to adjust, what does that mean? They're letting people back out in public too, and there hasn't been a spike in cases to a large degree. Was their lockdown more successful? More than likely. Are their populations likely wearing more masks? Definitely. 

4 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Daily U.S. documented cases is decreasing. It has been for about 2 weeks.

But it isnt down to the levels of other countries or even parallel to what it be. "Decreasing" from a staggering high is not exactly purely good. The fact we had that high in July while European countries havent is simply startling. 

• Upvote 1

Also if you would reply to the whole argument rather than nitpick a phrase would give you more credibility.

13 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

But it isnt down to the levels of other countries or even parallel to what it be. "Decreasing" from a staggering high is not exactly purely good. The fact we had that high in July while European countries havent is simply startling. 

Yes, good point. The U.S. daily mortality numbers at this point aren't as good as some of those other countries / M.

So what you really have is probably fewer real cases -> lower demand for tests -> fewer documented cases. 

Meanwhile, it looks like daily mortality numbers have plateaued. This would make sense as case numbers plateaued awhile ago. Since case numbers are now dropping, this suggests the U.S. will have lower mortalities relatively soon.

18 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Also if you would reply to the whole argument rather than nitpick a phrase would give you more credibility.

I think you're right that some of those countries have better trajectories vis a vis COVID-19 documented cases and mortalities.

But this simply doesn't show what Patine was claiming.

21 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

I think you're right that some of those countries have better trajectories vis a vis COVID-19 documented cases and mortalities.

But this simply doesn't show what Patine was claiming.

I was making my own point not going with what Patine was talking about. Tbh I didnt read the whole thread.

• Upvote 1