270soft Forum

State of the Race: 91 Days Left

91 Day Poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. See the Data in the First Post: Who do you think wins if the election were today?

2. 2. If you were a state governor of a generic state, which of the following policies would you support? Check all that apply

• Gerrymandering the state so that my ideology has an advantage.
    • Build political machines in cities so that my part has an advantage in cities, even if this results in corruption.
    • Enact fair redistricting policies to destroy gerrymandering, even if it could cost my party the advantage in the state.
    • Enact an anti-corruption campaign, even if what is exposed hurts my own party more than the other.
    • Vote for a State Death Penalty
    • Repeal the State Death Penalty
    • Increase restrictions on abortions
    • Remove most restrictions on abortions
    • Create a State Healthcare Plan to compete with Obamacare
    • No state healthcare plan and do whatever it takes to weaken Obamacare in the State
    • Increase the state minimum wage
    • Abolish the state minimum wage
    • Enact laws that strengthen labor unions and worker's rights.
    • Enact laws that weaken or destroy labor unions and strengthen corporate and empoloyer rights.
    • Enact and enforce strict gun laws
    • Loosen restrictions on gun laws
    • Enact and enforce protections and Civil Rights designed to maintain equality and decrease inequity for minority groups (blacks, women, Hispanics, handicapped, seniors, LGBT, etc.)
    • No special protections or special enforcement of Civil Rights for minority groups.
    • Increase restrictions and deterrents for alcohol and tobacco.
    • Loosen restriction and deterrents for alcohol and tobacco
    • Legalize marijuana
    • Enforce criminalization of marijuana
    • Emphasize public school over private schooling
    • No special emphasis for public schools.
    • Enforce strict Voter ID policy, even if it might deter or prevent minority groups or the poor from voting.
    • Simple proof of identity policy for voting so as to make it easy for all people to vote that have a right to vote.
    • Remove statues and monuments of Confederates and other people that waged war against the US.
    • Maintain and defende Confederate monuments and statues.
    • Enact and enforce strick business and environmental regulations
    • Enact and enforce business and environmental deregulations
    • Allow sanctuary cities in your state
    • Ban sanctuary cities in your state
    • Massively increase state spending to improve crumbling infrastructure and make other internal improvements
    • Veto a massive state spending package to improve crumbling infrastructure and make other internal improvements.
    • Create and enact a new progressive welfare system to provide an adequate life for those too handicapped, too elderly, too mentally ill, or temporarily unable to work a full-time job or work at all.
    • Cut and potentially abolish the state's progressive welfare system to reduce the costs of government, even if it means some people will have to struggle to survive.
    • Enact free Community College
    • Oppose free Community College
    • Remove the Ten Commandments from Courthouses.
    • Protect and defend Ten Commandments on Courthouse property
    • Other I'd like to mention (mention below)

Polls are back out since it is Monday. Here is the daily and weekly shifts. Both the daily and weekly look better for Trump than they do for Biden, although Biden still holds landslide support currently. Biden also seems to improved where he most needs to improve, even though he's dropped in states where he has a large lead. I've attached a forecast map base off these trends: 

Categories 91 Weekly Shift
Gen Avg Biden 8.3 (+0.1) Biden 0
MI Avg Biden 8.0 (-0.1) Biden +0.1
WI Avg Biden 7.0 (-0.1) Biden -0.2
PA Avg Biden 6.6 (0) Biden -0.4
NH Avg Biden 9.2 (-0.1) Biden +1.6
NC avg Biden 2.2 (+0.2) Biden -0.2
FL avg Biden 5.9 (-0.1) Biden -0.6
GA avg Trump 0.7 (-0.5) Trump -0.1
TX avg Biden 0.6 (0) Biden -0.1
OH avg Biden 0.2 (+0.7) Biden +0.1
IA avg Trump 1.1 (+0.1) Trump +0.9
AZ avg Biden 3.9 (0) Biden 0
NV avg Biden 6.5 (-0.1) Biden -0.3
Trump Approval 41.3 (+0.6) 1.2
Trump Disapproval 54.7 (-0.3) -1.1
Favorability Biden 11 (+0.5) Biden -0.7
Direction of the Country -47.1 (0) -1.6
Generic Ballot Dem 8.2 (-0.6) Dem -0.4
Betting Markets Biden 60.9 (-0.1) Biden 0
Rasmussen GE n/a n/a
Rasmussen Trump Approval 51 (+1) 6
FoxNews GE n/a n/a
Fox News Trump Approval n/a n/a
ABC/Wash GE n/a n/a
ABC/Wash Trump Approval n/a n/a
Marist GE n/a n/a
Marist Trump Approval n/a n/a
Clinton vs. Trump 2016 GE Clinton +3 Clinton -1.5
Biden vs Clinton GE Polls Biden +5.3 Biden +1.6

9RWOk.png

vcczar @Reagan04 @Actinguy @Patine @Conservative Elector 2 @TheMiddlePolitical @WVProgressive @SilentLiberty @pilight @admin_270 @Hestia11 @Herbert Hoover @mlcorcoran @Leuser @upandaway @jvikings1 @Rodja @Edouard @jnewt @Nentomat @Kingthero @Sunnymentoaddict @RFK/JFKfan @Mr.Blood @Zenobiyl @Wiw @MBDemSoc @ThePotatoWalrus @Alxeu @Allyn @Cenzonico @CentristGuy @Ishan @billay @wolves @RI Democrat @lizarraba @lizphairphreak @TheLiberalKitten @MysteryKnight @avatarmushi @servo75

10 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I'm not sure I understand this phrase: "maintain equality and achieve inequity".  Is that helping minorities or hurting them?

Helps. I'm not sure how maintaining equality and achieving inequity would hurt minorities. 

I think, from an outsider looking in to America from the UK, the ball is very much in Biden's court at the moment. An average lead of almost 10 points is extraordinary, and if the election was held today he would almost certainly win in a landslide. I think the vast majority of the UK establishment are hedging their bets on a Biden win, including the PM, apparently.  But, being someone who got into politics around Brexit and the 2017 election I am incredibly superstitious when it comes to polls and don't trust them at all. And there's still 91 days to go. Theresa May lost her majority in less than a month of campaigning.

Question 2 was a fun one! I'm fairly certain if I was a US governor I would only last one term.

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Helps. I'm not sure how maintaining equality and achieving inequity would hurt minorities. 

I think the word inequity is tripping me up.  Dictionary.com has inequity meaning "lack of fairness or justice."  That isn't something I want to achieve!  ;c)

30 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

157 "soft blue" votes makes me extremely nervous.  

Yup. Those are all states Trump won too. The Biden campaign should take care not to neglect them like Clinton did.

23 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I think the word inequity is tripping me up.  Dictionary.com has inequity meaning "lack of fairness or justice."  That isn't something I want to achieve!  ;c)

opps, you are right. 

19 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Honkler > joker

❤️ honk honk

A symbol of the Degeneration of American Culture and the United States as a Once Great Civilization and Empire in Deep Decline...

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

A symbol of the Degeneration of American Culture and the United States as a Once Great Civilization and Empire in Deep Decline...

Bruh

1 hour ago, Patine said:

You think we were once a great empire?  I’m touched!

When?

37 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

When?

America was at it's greatest pre-WW1

53 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

When?

There's a lovely book about U.S. foreign and military policy from Teddy Roosevelt until Ronald Reagan called, "How to Hide an Empire," with a subtitle I can't quite remember off the top of my head. Hell of a good read!

13 minutes ago, billay said:

I said I'd wait a week and its bee a week. Slowly things are trending Trump and with 90 days this isnt close to over. 

I think it is trending him mainly because Biden has such a huge lead. It might trend Trump for 90 days and he could still lose. He needs to trend by large margins. Most of his tending is like a quarter of a percent. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think it is trending him mainly because Biden has such a huge lead. It might trend Trump for 90 days and he could still lose. He needs to trend by large margins. Most of his tending is like a quarter of a percent. 

I agree. I don't think it's so much that Trump is gaining favor, more than Biden's numbers are "correcting" towards an invisible average similar to a stock correction.

• Upvote 1

There is nobody in 2020 who does not know who Trump is and what his Presidency/leadership style is about.

That this many states are only leaning Democrat 90 days out is deeply, deeply troubling.

I find it unlikely that the next 90 days is going to contain stunning new information that everybody doesn’t already know about Trump.

Expectations could not possibly be lower.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

There is nobody in 2020 who does not know who Trump is and what his Presidency/leadership style is about.

That this many states are only leaning Democrat 90 days out is deeply, deeply troubling.

I find it unlikely that the next 90 days is going to contain stunning new information that everybody doesn’t already know about Trump.

Expectations could not possibly be lower.

The upside of this is that it makes it much less likely Trump can convert votes from Biden to himself. Leaning Democrat still wins if it holds. 

I don't think anyone is choosing between Trump and Biden.   They're choosing between Biden and smaller party or between Biden and don't bother.  Nobody's making a choice on Trump, everyone has already decided if they're voting for him or not.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, pilight said:

I don't think anyone is choosing between Trump and Biden.   They're choosing between Biden and smaller party or between Biden and don't bother.  Nobody's making a choice on Trump, everyone has already decided if they're voting for him or not.

Functionally though, the outcome is the same.

We’ve already played this game where people thought it was safe to “vote their conscience/protest vote/stay home” because they weren’t 100% in love with Hillary Clinton, because they were confident that she could still beat Donald Trump without them having to do anything to help her.

And here we are.

If the 270Soft Forum were a governor, here are things guaranteed to occur (got 60%+ votes): 

• Reform! Destroy gerrymandering and root out corruption, even if it hurts his own party!
  • Repeal the Death Penalty!
  • Create a competing state Healthcare Plan as an alternative to Obamacare!
  • Increase the state minimum wage!
  • Strengthen Labor Unions and Worker's Rights!
  • Enforce and expand protections for minority groups!
  • Legalize marijuana!
  • Remove Confederate monuments!
  • Simple voting procedures so that everyone can easily authorize their legal right to vote!
  • Massive increase in spending to rebuild crumbling infrastructure and build more internal improvements!
  • Enact Free Community College!

Our collective governor is basically the Robert La Follette of the 21st Century. Which current governor best resembles this platform?