270soft Forum

Favorite US General

Favorite US General  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite US General in American History?

• George Washington
    • Winfield Scott
    • Ulysses S. Grant
    • John J Pershing
    • Dwight D Eisenhower
    • Douglas MacArthur
    • George S Patton
    • Matthew Ridgway
    • Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Colin Powell
    • Omar Bradley
    • George C Marshall
    • William Tecumseh Sherman
    • George H Thomas
    • George Meade
    • George McClellan
    • Zachary Taylor
    • Nathaniel Greene
    • Andrew Jackson
    • William Henry Harrison
    • David Petraeus
    • Tommy Franks
    • Joseph Hooker
    • James Mattis
    • George Custer
    • Philip Sheridan
    • Other (list below)
    • I do not have a favorite general because I find warfare so vile that having a favorite general is akin to having a favorite serial killer or mass murderer!

I guess it depends in part upon what I am judging them on -- strictly their accomplishments as a General?  Their broader military career that led up to them becoming a General?  Their post-military service, potentially including their Presidencies?

While admitting that I don't know much about some of the people on this list, I will lean towards Washington as he achieved the most with the fewest resources.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

New poll

Although I'm not a proponent of war except in self-defense and versus extistencial crisis, and belief the Second World War was the last war that the Anglo-Sphere NEEDED to fight, or SHOULD have been fighting, I will say, probably unexpectedly, Schwarzkopf, because he understood something about modern warfare, when it comes down to the brass tacks and the hounds have been unleashed by thoughtless, callous, and corrupt governments with ulterior motives, and the chips are down, about how to actually conduct them successfully. Having presided over one of only two actual outright and real military victories by the overbloated, overfunded, and 75% unnecessary U.S. military in the post-WW2 era (and, yes, there only been two actual victories for it, in truth) - Operation Desert Storm, which is along with the Invasion of Grenada - and also in the league of such other conflicts in that vain as the Falkland War, the Six-Day War, the Yom Kippur War, and the Russo-Georgian War of 2008 - he grasped how to actually WIN wars in the post-WW2 as a major power. All six wars mentioned had important factors in common. They all had very limited and narrowly-defined objectives, goals, and parameters, with no mission creep. They all involved a very short period (in days) of intense military activity, and then, once their objective was complete, they STOPPED. That's how major powers win wars against smaller powers in the post-WW2 era, if it actually comes to it. Once guerilla warfare, urban warfare, journalists' footage of military atrocities, unreliable undermining by "allied," endemic governments in the warzone, and citizens demanding to know what it's all for, and what they're not being told, are all factors, you might as well pack it up, pack it in, and go home, because by that point, you've already LOST.

I'd pick Eisenhower. 

Besides him I'd probably say Robert E. Lee, putting aside the issue of raising arms against the US.

4 minutes ago, pilight said:

Having a favorite general is akin to having a favorite assistant secretary of agriculture

You are challenging me :D I am that guy, who would go into such details.

15 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Grant, Ike, Patton, Jackson, Washington.

Jackson? How can you think a foul-tempered, petulant, self-absorbed, arrogant, and intolerant general who advocated the idea (even if he didn't FULLY get his way) of outright genocide of a number of whole ethnicities is an admirable general? I can think of a few non-American generals roughly matching those traits that I imagine you wouldn't be nearly so quick to praise...

30 minutes ago, Patine said:

Jackson? How can you think a foul-tempered, petulant, self-absorbed, arrogant, and intolerant general who advocated the idea (even if he didn't FULLY get his way) of outright genocide of a number of whole ethnicities is an admirable general? I can think of a few non-American generals roughly matching those traits that I imagine you wouldn't be nearly so quick to praise...

You're not wrong. Though I think me putting him in my top 5 isn't exactly praise. Historically I think he's very interesting. I think the time period of which he was most active is also interesting. If he were active today would I hold far different opinions? Yes. However he's a historical figure not a present day one. 

Also worth noting for the "I do not have a favorite" because he's comparable to having a favorite serial killer or mass murderer...well I think the average person is more likely to have a favorite serial killer than military general anyway. Not because they praise or like the serial killers but because TV via crime docs, crime shows, even news, really have a thing for violence and quite frankly promote them pretty heavily. I'd guess the average person would be able to tell you more names from a serial killer list than the names listed here for U.S. generals. Would guess too they likely wouldn't even know all the names on this list. 

15 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I'd pick Eisenhower. 

Besides him I'd probably say Robert E. Lee, putting aside the issue of raising arms against the US.

Voted for MacArthur but I do believe that Lee is the greatest military genius to come from the United States (highest scoring West Point graduate to serve in the military,his experience in warfare against various combatants, his great tactics and strategy to fight against a superior trained, aided, and supplied military for a half decade, etc). I don't agree with the values on which his army may have fought, but only a fool would doubt his military genius. Personally I think he's a bit far from the best general ever, with Alexander the Great and Napoleon taking the top two spots respectively.

• Like 1

Also I watched a documentary on Pershing last year. Very stoic personality despite the personal tragedies he faced during the war. Sad.

3 hours ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Voted for MacArthur but I do believe that Lee is the greatest military genius to come from the United States (highest scoring West Point graduate to serve in the military,his experience in warfare against various combatants, his great tactics and strategy to fight against a superior trained, aided, and supplied military for a half decade, etc). I don't agree with the values on which his army may have fought, but only a fool would doubt his military genius. Personally I think he's a bit far from the best general ever, with Alexander the Great and Napoleon taking the top two spots respectively.

Although, a lot of people nowadays underrate Võ Nguyên Giáp in the list of history's greatest generals. His strategy (later emulated, more or less, by many other Third World regimes) is one of the prime reasons highly advanced and funded militaries like the U.S., Soviet Union, Britain, France, Portugal, and, even later, India, get bogged in absolutely unwinnable wars to such lower-tech, under-equipped, and lacking-in-logistics militaries on the defensive and have the notable lack of true military victories in the Post-WW2 than would expect, as I'd mentioned above.

• Like 1