270soft Forum

Biden picks VP in a Week

Biden Picks His VP in a Week  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Biden Picks his VP, who will likely be the next VP of the US, next week. Who do you think he will pick? ***[Note: Do not pick who you hope he picks, unless you think that person is also who he will pick.]***

• Sen. Kamala Harris - CA
    • Sen. Elizabeth Warren - MA
    • Rep. Val Demings - FL
    • Sen. Tammy Duckworth - IL
    • Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham - NM
    • Gov. Gretchen Whitmer - MI
    • Sen. Maggie Hassan - NH
    • Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms - GA
    • Fmr UN Amb Susan Rice - ME
    • Fmr State Rep (and Dem nom for Gov) Stacey Abrams - GA
    • Gov. Gina Raimondo - RI
    • Rep. Karen Bass - CA
    • Sen. Tammy Baldwin - WI
    • Other (Black woman)
    • Other (White woman)
    • Other (woman that is neither black or white)
    • Other (He will do an about face and select a man)
    • *Joke response* Biden will gaffe and accidently select Donald Trump to VP, crush Trump in the election, and then die before his inauguration, ushering in 4 years of Trump as Democrat.
  2. 2. Will Biden's VP pick have any real impact on who wins or loses the election?

3. 3. What do you think Biden's chances are for defeating Trump for reelection in 2020?

• 100% (guaranteed Biden)
    • 90% (safe Biden)
    • 80% (strong Biden)
    • 70% (likely Biden)
    • 60% (lean Biden)
    • 50% (total toss up)
    • 40% (lean Trump)
    • 30% (likely Trump)
    • 20% (strong Trump)
    • 10% (safe Trump)
    • 0% (guaranteed Trump
  4. 4. How excited are you about voting in the 2020 election?

• Very excited
    • Excited
    • Somewhat excited
    • Neither excited or unexcited
    • Somewhat unexcited
    • Unexcited
    • Very unexcited

2 hours ago, servo75 said:

obsession with skin color is a Democrat tradition going back over 150 years.

Still no one suggested to rename the party. Elsewhere some want to see whole cities being renamed like Columbus, Ohio...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, for the reasons you said.  This isn’t a guarantee, of course, I’m not from the future. But I reached this map by making two assumptions: 1) That every state that isn’t already at least

Because we're the idiots that nominate fools like Trump!

I only picked the joke response, because honestly, I have no idea who he's going to pick. But I can tell you, whoever it is will not help him win.

Biden is especially strong with black voters -- it's his strongest area of support and the entire reason he became the nominee in the first place.  His campaign doesn't "need" a VP who is black -- there are other sections of the Democrat party that could use more shoring up.

That said, there are very real problems that need to be fixed for the black community, and while Biden's desire to help is very real, he's naturally not going to have that first person experience that an individual who is black would bring to the table.  

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, servo75 said:

When making the right VP choice is a matter of pleasing different ethnic groups who vote on nothing but the color of someone's skin, that is a party in chaos.

Just watched an ad suggesting Biden didn't like Latinos because he automatically disqualified most of them from a VP nod. 

Just now, admin_270 said:

Just watched an ad suggesting Biden didn't like Latinos because he automatically disqualified most of them from a VP nod. 

That's fine if it's being run by a Hispanic-friendly competitor...but Donald Trump is approximately as unfriendly as you can get to Latinos.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Actinguy said:

That's fine if it's being run by a Hispanic-friendly competitor...but Donald Trump is approximately as unfriendly as you can get to Latinos.

Cuban Americans are known to be more conservative actually.

5 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

That's not at question.  The question is whether Trump himself is Latino-friendly.  Given that his declaration for the Presidency was the most racist stuff I've heard a Presidential candidate say in my lifetime, and he's gone on to separate families and keep children in cages, I'm going to go with "no."

8 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Hispanic Americans should be a strong Republican demographic, with their strong catholic anti-abortion stance and mistrust of centralized government borne from countless Central and South American dictators.  For some reason the GOP seems determined to push them away.

15 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Biden is especially strong with black voters -- it's his strongest area of support and the entire reason he became the nominee in the first place.  His campaign doesn't "need" a VP who is black -- there are other sections of the Democrat party that could use more shoring up.

That said, there are very real problems that need to be fixed for the black community, and while Biden's desire to help is very real, he's naturally not going to have that first person experience that an individual who is black would bring to the table.  

Couple of things... First, of course he doesn't "need" a VP who is black, or at least he shouldn't. But he needs to please the woke crowd and these days identity politics is everything. Then again one thing about the Bernie Bros is at least they're not as race-obsessed as the establishment.

Biden WAS strong with black voters - or maybe still is, though I can't understand why. All those crime bills that created this allegedly racist justice system in the first place were mainly his doing. In his early career he worked closely with open segregationists in the Senate. He supported busing. Then he tells them that (to paraphrase) if you don't vote for him "you ain't black?" Has Biden done one thing to improve the black community? The only reason I can possibly think of is that blacks worked a lot of union blue-collar jobs and Biden had that reputation as "Uncle Joe from Scranton" and was able to get that blue-collar image. But that was before he all but declared war on coal and oil

Why blacks still vote for Biden, and Democrats in general is almost as confusing as why Jews still vote Democrat.

3 minutes ago, servo75 said:

Why blacks still vote for Biden, and Democrats in general is almost as confusing as why Jews still vote Democrat.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

The one who instituted the First Step Act, prison reform, and increased funding to HBCUs?

8 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Cortez Masto withdrew herself and Lujan Grisham is still in the running so I dont get the logic of that...

• Like 1
18 hours ago, servo75 said:

The one who instituted the First Step Act, prison reform, and increased funding to HBCUs?

Trump opposed the First Step Act until it was clear it would pass both houses with veto-proof majorities.  It has resulted in far fewer releases and reforms than intended, thanks to DOJ misapplication of the law.  Shockingly, those most affected by the DOJ's policy are minorities.

19 hours ago, servo75 said:

Ah yes, First Step, an act he opposed until it became clear that Congress would override his veto should he have the gall to do so and some of his most ardent lackeys continued to oppose until the moment it was passed.

Furthermore, his Justice Department has severely botched any real attempts at implementation and has severely worsened the issue of mass incarceration through it's scary heighting of the severity of the War on Drugs.

Not to mention the odious response to the cries for racial justice to be finally enacted in this nation. I know we don't see eye to eye at all on racial issues, I'm "progressive" on race because I believe that to be most in line with libertarianism as a philosophy. However, as you know, I have very conservative/libertarian solutions because I view government as the main agitator in systemic racism. Shrink the government and we can tear apart systemic racism.

Now, I know that we, again, have different views on systemic racism and I'm not trying to change your mind on it again. I'm simply demonstrating why Donald Trump performs abysmally in black support and will continue to do so on election day.

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

Ah yes, First Step, an act he opposed until it became clear that Congress would override his veto should he have the gall to do so and some of his most ardent lackeys continued to oppose until the moment it was passed.

Furthermore, his Justice Department has severely botched any real attempts at implementation and has severely worsened the issue of mass incarceration through it's scary heighting of the severity of the War on Drugs.

Not to mention the odious response to the cries for racial justice to be finally enacted in this nation. I know we don't see eye to eye at all on racial issues, I'm "progressive" on race because I believe that to be most in line with libertarianism as a philosophy. However, as you know, I have very conservative/libertarian solutions because I view government as the main agitator in systemic racism. Shrink the government and we can tear apart systemic racism.

Now, I know that we, again, have different views on systemic racism and I'm not trying to change your mind on it again. I'm simply demonstrating why Donald Trump performs abysmally in black support and will continue to do so on election day.

And yet... he signed First Step. That's all that matters. All Republicans perform abysmally in black support because they've basically given up on the inner cities and can't articulate why the Democrats have been so bad for them. I think Trump will do surprisingly well. If he gets as little as 20-30% that will be devastating. As for the race part, that simply isn't the job of the Presidency. It will take a long time to bridge together the rift that Barack Obama made in race relations. If there is systemic racism, the government only makes it worse by continuing to poke at it. Racism is learned, not natural. Again I agree with Morgan Freeman, the way you stop racism is to stop talking about it day in and day out. The constant picking of the sores of the past does nothing to fix the future. To me, "systemic racism" has become an all-purpose excuse for every lack of economic and judicial inequality. If anything it holds the black community back by infantalising them and making excuses. If there are individual laws and policies and police departments, etc. that have racial issues, then let's fix those issues, but to act like racism is just "out there ubiquitous in the ether" does no one any good.

1 hour ago, servo75 said:

It will take a long time to bridge together the rift that Barack Obama made in race relations. If there is systemic racism, the government only makes it worse by continuing to poke at it. Racism is learned, not natural. Again I agree with Morgan Freeman, the way you stop racism is to stop talking about it day in and day out. The constant picking of the sores of the past does nothing to fix the future. To me, "systemic racism" has become an all-purpose excuse for every lack of economic and judicial inequality. If anything it holds the black community back by infantalising them and making excuses. If there are individual laws and policies and police departments, etc. that have racial issues, then let's fix those issues, but to act like racism is just "out there ubiquitous in the ether" does no one any good.

Again, like I said, attempting to change your backwards views on race in America is futile. So I'm not even going here.

And yet... he signed First Step. That's all that matters.

No, again, it truly isn't. What matters is that it was a watered down law he was forced to sign and then did everything possible via his DOJ to gut proper enforcement of it. So quite literally, no, signing it is *not* all that matters because the Executive Branch also implements laws.

All Republicans perform abysmally in black support because they a've basically given up on the inner cities and can't articulate why the Democrats have been so bad for them.

I agree, a large part of this problem is nominating horrendous candidates like Donald Trump, now you're catching on.

If he gets as little as 20-30% that will be devastating.

And yet... he won't. You have to know that. Donald Trump has the dubious distinction of garnering the worst performance of any Republican running against a White Democrat in history. That's a record he's likely to break. His awful take on race relations and how to handle systemic racism in this country has won him no friends of import in the black community and I think you'll see that represented in the November exit polls.

• Like 1