270soft Forum

Biden picks VP in a Week

Biden Picks His VP in a Week  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Biden Picks his VP, who will likely be the next VP of the US, next week. Who do you think he will pick? ***[Note: Do not pick who you hope he picks, unless you think that person is also who he will pick.]***

• Sen. Kamala Harris - CA
    • Sen. Elizabeth Warren - MA
    • Rep. Val Demings - FL
    • Sen. Tammy Duckworth - IL
    • Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham - NM
    • Gov. Gretchen Whitmer - MI
    • Sen. Maggie Hassan - NH
    • Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms - GA
    • Fmr UN Amb Susan Rice - ME
    • Fmr State Rep (and Dem nom for Gov) Stacey Abrams - GA
    • Gov. Gina Raimondo - RI
    • Rep. Karen Bass - CA
    • Sen. Tammy Baldwin - WI
    • Other (Black woman)
    • Other (White woman)
    • Other (woman that is neither black or white)
    • Other (He will do an about face and select a man)
    • *Joke response* Biden will gaffe and accidently select Donald Trump to VP, crush Trump in the election, and then die before his inauguration, ushering in 4 years of Trump as Democrat.
  2. 2. Will Biden's VP pick have any real impact on who wins or loses the election?

3. 3. What do you think Biden's chances are for defeating Trump for reelection in 2020?

• 100% (guaranteed Biden)
    • 90% (safe Biden)
    • 80% (strong Biden)
    • 70% (likely Biden)
    • 60% (lean Biden)
    • 50% (total toss up)
    • 40% (lean Trump)
    • 30% (likely Trump)
    • 20% (strong Trump)
    • 10% (safe Trump)
    • 0% (guaranteed Trump
  4. 4. How excited are you about voting in the 2020 election?

• Very excited
    • Excited
    • Somewhat excited
    • Neither excited or unexcited
    • Somewhat unexcited
    • Unexcited
    • Very unexcited

2 hours ago, pilight said:

He won't pick Duckworth because he's not gonna want to open up a debate on whether she's a "natural born citizen"

Her father was an American who could trace his roots all the way back to the Revolutionary War.  It just doesn't get any more American than that.  ;c)

Yes, she was born overseas -- but so was McCain.  If you're born to an American citizen, you are an American citizen regardless of place of birth.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, for the reasons you said.  This isn’t a guarantee, of course, I’m not from the future. But I reached this map by making two assumptions: 1) That every state that isn’t already at least

Because we're the idiots that nominate fools like Trump!

I only picked the joke response, because honestly, I have no idea who he's going to pick. But I can tell you, whoever it is will not help him win.

I believe it will be Val Demings, and that she'll be a good choice to counter this bullshit Trump has been spreading about how the Biden administration will lead to anti police anarchy (Demings is a former Chief of Police married to another former Chief of Police, and also black, so a great choice to balance the two sides).  

But man, I so desperately wish Pete were in the running for consideration.

The idea of Pete as Biden's VP...I haven't been that excited about a potential President/VP pairing since a hands off simulation of President Forever 2008 resulted in an Obama-Biden pairing and it first occurred to me that "Man...that would be the dream ticket.  If only..."  ;c)

3 hours ago, admin_270 said:

"In historic moment, Biden picks wife Jill as his VP!"

30 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

It's been done.  ;c)  House of Cards.

Well, the theories were thick in the '60's that if JFK had lived, he would have dumped LBJ and chosen his brother, RFK as running mate. That's apparently why RFK had, according to this theory, been living long enough in New York to have a separate State of residence from his brother. This theory never became more than a theory, and after both of the brothers had met their tragic demises, no one could seemingly verify this plot even ever existed.

33 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

But man, I so desperately wish Pete were in the running for consideration.

Pete doesn't have experience enough for me to even consider a good pick. 

That's why I trend towards the Harris/Duckworth area.

One thing about any of Biden's Veep possibilities is that they'll make Biden look older than he looks campaigning on his own.

Someone did an analysis of ticket combo's and victory (not including incumbents). There was a massive positive effect for Junior-Senior tickets.

I don't think there's anyone Biden could pick who would be Senior to Biden, though.

44 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Yep, I get that.  But this would be the way for him to gain experience — on the job training.  I don’t expect Biden to die in office within the first term, but if he declined mentally, Buttigieg has the mental brainpower to spare.  ;c)

57 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

12 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Yep, I get that.  But this would be the way for him to gain experience — on the job training.  I don’t expect Biden to die in office within the first term, but if he declined mentally, Buttigieg has the mental brainpower to spare.  ;c)

Both Buttigieg and Harris strike me as untrustworthy, and Harris is a known supporter and enabler of the Unconstitutional but de facto criminally tolerated private prison slavery system, and Buttigieg's military history would probably lean him toward being a warmonger, in the end - of which the U.S. - and the world - don't need anymore of.

Just now, Patine said:

Both Buttigieg and Harris strike me as untrustworthy, and Harris is a known supporter and enabler of the Unconstitutional but de facto criminally tolerated private prison slavery system, and Buttigieg's military history would probably lean him toward being a warmonger, in the end - of which the U.S. - and the world - don't need anymore of.

I am shocked...shocked, I tells ya!...that you don’t like Kamala or Buttigieg when you normally like everybody so much.

;c)

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

On number 4, I think, "feeling of impending disappointment regardless of who wins," would be needed to express my viewpoint. That's kind of like "very unexcited," but still a motive volition toward the results.

My VP pick will be Catherine Cortez Masteo. Biden is doing well in the midwest( so Whitmer is redundant), and won the nomination in part of the black community; so his VP will need to balance his shortcomings: the latino community. 

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

25 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Also, all three of Harris, Duckworth, and Buttigieg would be mistakes and VP's for Biden, because all three are too Establishment, and Biden is VERY Establishment, and shutting out the Progressive/Reform wing of the Democratic Party on the ticket would be a clear sign of a political snub, and at THIS particular point in time could - and probably would - be an unmitigated disaster, politically - even if Trump were beaten, the bitterness over such a slight would haunt and harry Biden's Administration horribly.

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

One thing about any of Biden's Veep possibilities is that they'll make Biden look older than he looks campaigning on his own.

Someone did an analysis of ticket combo's and victory (not including incumbents). There was a massive positive effect for Junior-Senior tickets.

I don't think there's anyone Biden could pick who would be Senior to Biden, though.

He'd also face another Senior-Junior ticket. Overall, not sure if this analysis will really matter in this election. The circumstances are odd and Biden's lead, currently, is significant. +13 vs Trump in Florida in one poll today. Probably an outlier, but that shows a strength Clinton never had in FL. 

2 hours ago, Actinguy said:

Her father was an American who could trace his roots all the way back to the Revolutionary War.  It just doesn't get any more American than that.  ;c)

Yes, she was born overseas -- but so was McCain.  If you're born to an American citizen, you are an American citizen regardless of place of birth.

Her mother was not an American.  That makes her status as "natural born citizen" debatable.  Biden doesn't want that distraction.

1 minute ago, pilight said:

Her mother was not an American.  That makes her status as "natural born citizen" debatable.  Biden doesn't want that distraction.

I mean, no.  It's not debatable.  If you have one American parent, you are a natural born citizen.

Some people might not know that, but that doesn't make it debatable.  It just means that they're wrong.

18 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

If you have one American parent, you are a natural born citizen.

Wikipedia article says https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-born-citizen_clause

"The U.S. Constitution uses but does not define the phrase "natural born Citizen", and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional and legal scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States. As to those born elsewhere who meet the legal requirements for birthright citizenship, the matter is unsettled."

and in particular see footnote 3. from a paper for the Congressional Research Service which says

"There is no provision in the Constitution and no controlling American case law to support a contention that the citizenship of one's parents governs the eligibility of a native born U.S. citizen to be President."

But I in no way consider that definitive. Do you have any references for your claim?

8 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

Wikipedia article says https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural-born-citizen_clause

"The U.S. Constitution uses but does not define the phrase "natural born Citizen", and various opinions have been offered over time regarding its precise meaning. The consensus of early 21st-century constitutional and legal scholars, together with relevant case law, is that natural-born citizens include, subject to exceptions, those born in the United States. As to those born elsewhere who meet the legal requirements for birthright citizenship, the matter is unsettled."

and in particular see footnote 3. from a paper for the Congressional Research Service which says

"There is no provision in the Constitution and no controlling American case law to support a contention that the citizenship of one's parents governs the eligibility of a native born U.S. citizen to be President."

But I in no way consider that definitive. Do you have any references for your claim?

You are absolutely correct. However, I would doubt that the Supreme Court would ever rule on such a question directly, as it is a non-justiciable political question. While it seems surely that the Supreme Court would be THE final authority on this matter, the institution is incredibly reluctant to definitively rule on politically charged matters such as that. The Supreme Court dodged the slavery question for ages, and I've read before that even matters direct as Nixon's impeachment were controversial to have been brought to the Supreme Court at that time. There is little chance of the Supreme Court ruling on the issue any time soon. 

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

I mean, no.  It's not debatable.  If you have one American parent, you are a natural born citizen.

Some people might not know that, but that doesn't make it debatable.  It just means that they're wrong.

Says you.  There is no consensus on this matter.  If there was, birtherism would never have taken off and Trump wouldn't be president.

7 minutes ago, pilight said:

Says you.  There is no consensus on this matter.  If there was, birtherism would never have taken off and Trump wouldn't be president.

Obama was born in the United States.  Just because racist people pretended that wasn’t true doesn’t mean that Obama didn’t get to serve all eight years in office.

14 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Obama was born in the United States.  Just because racist people pretended that wasn’t true doesn’t mean that Obama didn’t get to serve all eight years in office.

I know he was.  That's not the point.  If it was settled that one parent made someone a "natural born citizen", all that Kenya nonsense wouldn't have mattered..

53 minutes ago, pilight said:

26 minutes ago, pilight said:

I know he was.  That's not the point.  If it was settled that one parent made someone a "natural born citizen", all that Kenya nonsense wouldn't have mattered..

44 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

Obama served his 8 years. That means that he was qualified to hold the office because he wasn't removed because of it. Argument done and settled. 

Just because people got mad about it doesn't mean that that's a legal basis to argue that it wasn't legitimate. He's been done and out of there for 4 years now. Congress never removed him and the SC never barred him from holding the office. It's a moot point.

46 minutes ago, Actinguy said:

The disagreement here is one the definition of natural born citizen. There is no legal question that he was a natural born citizen, due to his birth having taken place in Hawaii. @admin_270 and @pilight are simply bringing to attention that what you said was technically incorrect, as the definition of "natural born citizen" as opposed to a citizen or naturalized citizen is very unclear and not stated within the constitution. There has been speculation on the legal definition of the term since the inception of our nation, in fact! Until the courts handle the matter, it is an unclear issue. Obama's status as a natural born citizen should have never been called into question, though. 

1 hour ago, Actinguy said:

The "If you have one parent, you are a natural born citizen" statement is the statement that is in question, just for reference. No one can know until its ruled upon, and they won't anytime soon! :) (No attempt to argue here, just attempting to educate without derision)

10 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

Obama served his 8 years. That means that he was qualified to hold the office because he wasn't removed because of it. Argument done and settled. 

This particular argument, in a legal sense does bring up a disturbing viewpoint, on the same line of thinking, of posthumously exonerated execution victims, and exonerated criminals who have already served a very large chunk of their long prison term. The analogous applications here are almost macabre...

12 minutes ago, Herbert Hoover said:

The disagreement here is one the definition of natural born citizen. There is no legal question that he was a natural born citizen, due to his birth having taken place in Hawaii. @admin_270 and @pilight are simply bringing to attention that what you said was technically incorrect, as the definition of "natural born citizen" as opposed to a citizen or naturalized citizen is very unclear and not stated within the constitution. There has been speculation on the legal definition of the term since the inception of our nation, in fact! Until the courts handle the matter, it is an unclear issue. Obama's status as a natural born citizen should have never been called into question, though. 

The "If you have one parent, you are a natural born citizen" statement is the statement that is in question, just for reference. No one can know until its ruled upon, and they won't anytime soon! :) (No attempt to argue here, just attempting to educate without derision)

I understand the question, but the answer was decided more than 150 years ago.

In 1961, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Montana v. Kennedy that an individual who was born in 1906 in Italy to a U.S. citizen mother and a noncitizen father was not a U.S. citizen by birth under the nationality laws in force at the time of his birth. It observed that automatic citizenship was granted to children of U.S. citizen fathers and noncitizen mothers by an 1855 act of Congress, but the reverse situation was only addressed, non-retroactively, in 1934.

• Thanks 1